The Leprechaun: 0

Rumble 20545 Team Fortress 2 vs. Inhumanoids
MATCH SCORE
Team Fortress 2: 0
Inhumanoids: 3

Match 20124 Azalin Rex vs. Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft And Wizardry

The Voidspell Chronicles – Part 1

Prologue

The Dwarven warrior knew that his time was near. Bloody wounds painted a bleak portrait across holes in his armour, and his huge arms were weary after hours of slaughter. His companions were all dead. Each of them had fallen honourably, saving their last breaths for one more chance at the enemy.

Even Norgin Flinthshield, the youngest of them all, who had spent the morning being sick with the dread that comes before a battle, had thrown himself into the midst of ghoul phalanx in order to divert their attention and allow his fellow dwarves to hack them down. He had been torn apart, but even when his axe has slipped from his bloody grasp, he had gripped their undead ankles to slow the advance.

In a moment of peace, the Dwarf glanced down and saw three rocks. In the haze of blood and dirt, they almost reminded him of the mountains he had called home. A grin spread slowly across his weathered face. A good a place to die as any.

He planted his feet firmly in the ground. The metal of his armour creaked around him, a familiar sound. Slowly he set his warhammer spinning, every move graceful and deadly. Here was where he would stand. Here is where they would fall. An old song rose to his lips, matching the tempo of the swirling metal.

The first vampire that appeared before him was brought to its knees as the heavy weapon smashed down on its shoulders. A split second later, the spinning hammer had taken its head clean off. Another followed, then another. A wraith darted in, smoke-like but deadly, and its fingers raked across the Dwarf’s cheek before it as well was taken apart by the enchanted metal of the hammer.

Again, and again the undead attacked and eventually the numbers proved too much. The last dwarven defender died, and the old song from the mountains echoed for a few moments after his passing.

image.png.6a9eb850eaa6eb88e64815b72469faf6.png

Part 1

The undead army arrived before an ancient altar and from there they started assembling the Gate. Giant rocks were placed against each other, looped together with rune stones, and twisted barbed coils. Vampire mages, Mummy priests and Liches cast spells over each stone in turn, twisting the ancient Dwarven place of holy worship to one of necromancy and evil.

Three monolithic structures now stood, corrupted and desecrated. Three figures in dark hood approached the monoliths, chanting in a forgotten language. Their voices, cold as the grave, echoed out and stirred the stones to life. Arcane energy crackled and the sky darkened.

A new voice peeled out, powerful and ancient, speaking from the heavens and directed at the trio.

"You are chosen," the voice boomed, "to gather components from three realms. These elements, once united, shall unlock a power untold."

The trio nodded, their eyes glowing with newfound purpose. They knew their mission, and each brought with him the experience and power of eons. Magic crackled around them as they stepped through the portals. 

image.png.a037fccd3d5320b1f6174d2bff1610e8.png

Part 2

On Earth, shrouded in mists and magic, stood the ancient academy Hogwarts. Towering spires and grand halls, adorned with enchantments of old, stood testament to centuries of magical heritage.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows across the school, a figure emerged from the twilight mists—a being whose very existence was a tapestry woven from the threads of legend and dread. This was Azalin Rex, the Lich Lord, once a man of great ambition and even greater magical prowess, now a creature of unimaginable power, bound eternally to the realm of the undead.

Tall and imposing, Azalin moved with a grace that belied his skeletal form. The remnants of flesh clung to his bones like tattered shrouds, and his eyes, devoid of life, burned with a cold, blue fire that illuminated the gathering darkness. His robes, as black as the void between stars, flowed around him, embroidered with ancient runes and symbols that spoke of a time long forgotten, a time when he was once a powerful mage, feared and revered in equal measure, but only human. Now his powers enhanced by his time in the Demiplane of Dread that was Ravenloft, he was far beyond anything remotely human. Here, on this mission, he could finally let any pretense of humanity drop. 

He had escaped the prison that had been Darkon, and his power had but grown from there. Now he was part of something greater, something that would shake the very fabric of reality - and he needed that element from Hogwarts. 

With a wave of his skeletal hand, he tore apart an entire wing of the school, which collapsed in a thundering pile of rubble. Screams filled the air.

Students and masters rushed out, only to witness the horror that awaited them. Azalin brought with him a small army of the undead. Skeletons, ghosts, zombies and other undead lurched forward. Some were human sized, some giant. The students, young but fiercely brave, readied themselves for battle. Wands and staffs in hand, they formed ranks, their hearts beating in unison against the impending doom. The air crackled with anticipation, spells whispered and readied.

Azalin advanced, his form a monstrous huge shadow against the night sky behind the army of undead. The ground beneath his feet blackened, and the air grew cold. The students stood firm, their resolve unbroken. This was their home, their sanctuary, and they would defend it to their last breath.

But could they face the undead might of the Lich Lord and survive?

image.png.9dc7243e59a6191c481d7bc8457badba.png

Learn More About
Azalin Rex
Read more about Azalin Rex at Wikipedia
Official Site: Wizards of the Coast Links: Wikipedia Dungeon & Dragons Wiki Greyhawk Wiki

Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft And Wizardry
Read more about Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft And Wizardry at Wikipedia
Official Site: J. K. Rowling Links: Wikipedia Harry Potter Wiki Giant Bomb

I don't think that the students and faculty are ever at all prepared or even know how to cope with someone who is a Dark Lord of a Dark Domain, and is perhaps arguably on par with Strahd Von Zarovich, maybe even a couple of tiers below Strahd as far as I know.

6 hours ago, RakaiThwei said:

I don't think that the students and faculty are ever at all prepared or even know how to cope with someone who is a Dark Lord of a Dark Domain, and is perhaps arguably on par with Strahd Von Zarovich, maybe even a couple of tiers below Strahd as far as I know.

In terms of magic, Azalin actually taught Strahd a lot of what he knows. For this fight, Azalin has broken away from his Dark Lord status, which means that he doesn't have those specific powers, but at the same time he has been able to learn new magic (which was his "curse" in Ravenloft).

I wish I had a deeper understanding of D&D characters and lore, although as it stands this is a very cool setup and mashing of worlds and I'm curious to see where you go with it next. 

From what I have looked at for Azalin, I think he can come out on top and the survivors of Hogwarts would have to at least retreat temporarily.

On 1/8/2024 at 4:28 AM, Culwych1 said:

In terms of magic, Azalin actually taught Strahd a lot of what he knows. For this fight, Azalin has broken away from his Dark Lord status, which means that he doesn't have those specific powers, but at the same time he has been able to learn new magic (which was his "curse" in Ravenloft).

I've been playing Curse of Strahd with my Kensei Monk that's been re-flavored to be something of a Iga/Koga ninja in terms of tone and gameplay style. It's been an experience of itself, and at times... a difficult one. Barovia is definitely not Monk friendly, at least... not until you hit level six and really have the resources to expend.

So far, it's looking like we won't be tapping into the other domains of dread in the VR table I'm involved with but... it's fun to read on Strahd lore.

12 hours ago, RakaiThwei said:

I've been playing Curse of Strahd with my Kensei Monk that's been re-flavored to be something of a Iga/Koga ninja in terms of tone and gameplay style. It's been an experience of itself, and at times... a difficult one. Barovia is definitely not Monk friendly, at least... not until you hit level six and really have the resources to expend.

So far, it's looking like we won't be tapping into the other domains of dread in the VR table I'm involved with but... it's fun to read on Strahd lore.

Sounds like quite an adventure! Definitely, Barovia is no joke - but then again the neighbours in Darkon where Azalin ruled might say that it's paradise compared to their lot.

4 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

A very well written set up @Culwych1! I give it a 4.5 of 5!

I won’t claim I’m an expert on DnD but I do know enough to know that this Avalin guy is the real deal, like probably much stronger than Voldemort. I think Hogwarts might not be ready to handle him yet.

Thanks! To be fair I know more about DnD and Ravenloft in particular (as I used to DM a few campaigns there back in the day) than I do Hogwarts, so it was an interesting comparison. 

31 minutes ago, Culwych1 said:

Thanks! To be fair I know more about DnD and Ravenloft in particular (as I used to DM a few campaigns there back in the day) than I do Hogwarts, so it was an interesting comparison. 

If you run games on Foundry VTT, let me know! I play 5th edition though!

35 minutes ago, RakaiThwei said:

If you run games on Foundry VTT, let me know! I play 5th edition though!

Sadly not, my heyday was 2nd edition (the true glory days of Ravenloft and Planescape) - but I'll check it out and you never know! I do have 5th Edition Ravenloft material though - bought it for sentimental value

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
4.50 - Pizzaguy2995
4.80 - JohnnyChany
5.00 - Venom 2009
5.00 - Boratz

FPA Calculation:
4 Total Votes cast
19.30 Total Combined Score
19.30 / 4 = 4.83 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Azalin Rex: 4
Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft And Wizardry: 4

On 1/12/2024 at 8:15 PM, Callisto said:

MATCH SCORE
Azalin Rex: 4
Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft And Wizardry: 4

Damn, a draw!

But Azalin is no joke! He would and should have won this!

On 1/18/2024 at 9:04 AM, RakaiThwei said:

Damn, a draw!

But Azalin is no joke! He would and should have won this!

Obviously there's some firepower in the School. Interesting result. 

2 minutes ago, Culwych1 said:

Obviously there's some firepower in the School. Interesting result. 

Yeah but DnD magic is NOTHING to scoff at.