Slot: The Team's Horror Icon
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about The Crypt Keeper at this Wiki
Official Site: Warner Video

Battle Terrain
Christmas Vs. Halloween: Fear vs. Joy

I honestly don't know a lot about the Cryptkeeper. Does he actually do anything spooky or is he just the MC for the show? Does he get credit for all the scaring the show does, or does he personally have to do it? If he can get credit for the show then that's a lot of fear spread 

Crypt Keeper scared the hell out of me when I was little, gave me nightmares with the way he looks combo with his voice and that laugh of his.

I think he has a big fan base, even has a cartoon. The more exposure he's had will definitely favor him as more people might be too scared to look at him.

Belsnickel, just on appearance, doesn't really get one into the spirit of Christmas.

Hmmmm... tough one for my man Belsnickel. He does bring joy in that he brings sweets, but to be fair he brings as much fear for naughty children. 

But.... the one big advantage he has is the same as Santa. He can travel the world in one night. The key to this task is reach around the world in 48 hours, which Belsnickel far outmatches Crypt Keepr in terms of ability. 

3 minutes ago, Mercenaryblade said:

Given how well known Crypt Keeper is I'm going with him

Yeah he's definitely going to win this one due to popularity, but I still don't see how he can reach anywhere near as many people as Belsnickel. 

7 minutes ago, Culwych1 said:

Yeah he's definitely going to win this one due to popularity, but I still don't see how he can reach anywhere near as many people as Belsnickel. 

TV, comics, that's how he's spread terror.  

Both of these characters are associated with fear, but in different ways. Belsnickel uses fear as a tool to discipline children and teach them moral lessons, while the Crypt Keeper uses fear as a form of entertainment and satire. Belsnickel is more likely to inspire fear in those who believe in his existence and authority, while the Crypt Keeper is more likely to appeal to those who enjoy horror fiction and dark comedy.

To answer the question of which side spreads their influence further, we need to consider some factors, such as:

- The size and diversity of their potential audience
- The availability and accessibility of their medium of communication
- The effectiveness and appeal of their message
- The impact and duration of their emotion

Based on these factors, I would argue that the Crypt Keeper has an advantage over Belsnickel in spreading fear and joy around the world. Here are some of my reasons:

- The Crypt Keeper has a wider and more diverse audience than Belsnickel, who is mostly known in German-speaking regions and their descendants. The Crypt Keeper’s TV show and comic books have been distributed and translated in many countries and languages, reaching millions of viewers and readers.
- The Crypt Keeper has a more accessible and modern medium of communication than Belsnickel, who relies on personal visits and word-of-mouth. The Crypt Keeper’s TV show and comic books can be watched and read on various platforms, such as cable, streaming, online, or print, at any time and place.
- The Crypt Keeper has a more effective and appealing message than Belsnickel, who has a simple and predictable formula of reward and punishment. The Crypt Keeper’s stories are more varied and creative, often involving twists, irony, humor, and moral dilemmas, that can engage and surprise the audience.
- The Crypt Keeper has a more lasting and versatile emotion than Belsnickel, who induces a short-term and one-dimensional fear. The Crypt Keeper’s stories can elicit both fear and joy, depending on the audience’s reaction and interpretation, and can also stimulate other emotions, such as curiosity, disgust, anger, or sadness.

I think people are crippling Belsnickel. Just because he is based in Germany, doesn't mean he can't travel the whole world. He was also known in the state of Pennsylvania, for example. I don't think there's anything stopping him speaking any other language in the world like Santa. I also think retroactive spread of fear/joy doesn't apply for this challenge. You need to turn on your TV and tune into the program or buy a comic for Crypt Keeper to have any influence on you. Only a small amount of people would do that (if any, honestly). Belsnickel on the other hand can actively come to you, no matter where you are. He also breaks rules of time in a standard Santa-like-character fashion. 

I'm going with German hobo Santa.  

9 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Both of these characters are associated with fear, but in different ways. Belsnickel uses fear as a tool to discipline children and teach them moral lessons, while the Crypt Keeper uses fear as a form of entertainment and satire. Belsnickel is more likely to inspire fear in those who believe in his existence and authority, while the Crypt Keeper is more likely to appeal to those who enjoy horror fiction and dark comedy.

To answer the question of which side spreads their influence further, we need to consider some factors, such as:

- The size and diversity of their potential audience
- The availability and accessibility of their medium of communication
- The effectiveness and appeal of their message
- The impact and duration of their emotion

Based on these factors, I would argue that the Crypt Keeper has an advantage over Belsnickel in spreading fear and joy around the world. Here are some of my reasons:

- The Crypt Keeper has a wider and more diverse audience than Belsnickel, who is mostly known in German-speaking regions and their descendants. The Crypt Keeper’s TV show and comic books have been distributed and translated in many countries and languages, reaching millions of viewers and readers.
- The Crypt Keeper has a more accessible and modern medium of communication than Belsnickel, who relies on personal visits and word-of-mouth. The Crypt Keeper’s TV show and comic books can be watched and read on various platforms, such as cable, streaming, online, or print, at any time and place.
- The Crypt Keeper has a more effective and appealing message than Belsnickel, who has a simple and predictable formula of reward and punishment. The Crypt Keeper’s stories are more varied and creative, often involving twists, irony, humor, and moral dilemmas, that can engage and surprise the audience.
- The Crypt Keeper has a more lasting and versatile emotion than Belsnickel, who induces a short-term and one-dimensional fear. The Crypt Keeper’s stories can elicit both fear and joy, depending on the audience’s reaction and interpretation, and can also stimulate other emotions, such as curiosity, disgust, anger, or sadness.

All good points, but in this day and age of modern technology and kids growing up so fast, where 8 year olds are laughing their heads off at Jurassic Park, Jaws, Feddy, Jason etc (I have a young boy so can attest to this from school)... which do you honestly think they'd be more scared of? 

A: To quote "The Crypt Keeper’s TV show and comic books can be watched and read on various platforms, such as cable, streaming, online, or print, at any time and place"

Or 

B: A personal visit from filthy man wearing furs, sometimes with a mask with a long tongue, ready to beat naughty children with a stick and reward good children with candy.

I know where I'd put my vote as to which would scare me or kids more. 

18 minutes ago, SSJRuss said:

This challenge does imply that the Christmas character has to spread joy. Belsnickel seems actually pretty scary, so I don't think he'll be spreading much joy.

He brings candy. Loads of people love candy.