Slot: The Team's Athlete
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about John Wick at this Wiki
Official Site: Lionsgate

Battle Terrain
Team Athlete Challenge: MMA

The fact that this fight is MMA style gives John Wick the advantage. Drago is a powerful boxer but limited in most areas outside of that. Plus, Drago lost to Rocky and John has more endurance than Rocky, meaning he can keep fighting until he brings Drago down.

Weight classes exist for a reason, Drago may be able to take down Wick on muscle differential alone, but it will be uphill methinks.

I've only seen the first John Wick, so I might be wrong, but I feel like Ivan might have a good shot. He's strong enough to punch a boxing champion to death, and MMA still has rules. Most of the fights I remember from John, he uses some kind of weapon. Ivan would just have a punch-heavy fighting style. 

Now I'm sure someone is gonna play a clip from John Wick 7 of him backhand someone through a steel door or something

Ivan Drago is a former Soviet boxer and soldier, who has an amateur record of 100 wins and 0 losses, all by knockout, as well as 31 wins (31 KOs), 1 loss, and 0 draws in his professional record. He is taller than John Wick by 4 inches (6 ft 5 in compared to John Wick's 6 ft 1 in). He also has more muscle than John Wick (261 pounds compared to 185 pounds). Sure, John Wick technically knows more styles (he is skilled in Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, Aikido and Karate), but he doesn't have the sheer record of Ivan Drago in actual fights with rules. Also, Ivan Drago has 200 PSI on Mike Tyson, so you know, any punch would wear down John Wick quite a fair bit.

Wick generally seemed to rely on weapons improvised or otherwise when fighting bigger, stronger opponents. Like the Sumo or really tall assassin.

Also their was some grappling in the Rocky/Drago match and Ivan would have trained in it in the military.

Drago is also largely outside of Wicks weight class stat wise. With endurance being the outlier in John's favor.

And like has been mentioned. Having rules means Wick can't go for his normal maiming and kill shots.

All in all Dargo should take the win.

Dude anybody who knows MMA knows that boxers like Drago would get absolutely destroyed if they ever went into the Octagon. They only know how to punch and protect their face, how’s Drago gonna defend against leg kicks? Arm locks? Or take downs? John Wick is trained in Judo, Krav Maga, Sambo, and in both Brazilian and Japanese jiu-jitsu and that alone makes him a far more dangerous and skilled fighter then Drago could ever dream of. John folds Drago like paper.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Dude anybody who knows MMA knows that boxers like Drago would get absolutely destroyed if they ever went into the Octagon.

I disagree. Butterbean has a pretty average record, and he seems to be around the same weight as Ivan Drago. He's also much smaller, and has a much smaller reach. The way I see it, I need to have proof that John Wick wins a fight by knockout against a much bigger opponent without using things like weapons or pencils or what not.

4 hours ago, Twogunkid said:

Weight classes exist for a reason, Drago may be able to take down Wick on muscle differential alone, but it will be uphill methinks.

3 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Ivan Drago is a former Soviet boxer and soldier, who has an amateur record of 100 wins and 0 losses, all by knockout, as well as 31 wins (31 KOs), 1 loss, and 0 draws in his professional record. He is taller than John Wick by 4 inches (6 ft 5 in compared to John Wick's 6 ft 1 in). He also has more muscle than John Wick (261 pounds compared to 185 pounds). Sure, John Wick technically knows more styles (he is skilled in Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, Aikido and Karate), but he doesn't have the sheer record of Ivan Drago in actual fights with rules. Also, Ivan Drago has 200 PSI on Mike Tyson, so you know, any punch would wear down John Wick quite a fair bit.

Ernest was a full head taller and 30 pounds heavier then Drago, armed with a knife, and fighting a John Wick who was exhausted and fighting with a bruised right knuckle and John STILL beat the dog shit out of him WITHOUT a gun. John beats the hell out of Drago.

2 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

I disagree. Butterbean has a pretty average record, and he seems to be around the same weight as Ivan Drago. He's also much smaller, and has a much smaller reach. The way I see it, I need to have proof that John Wick wins a fight by knockout against a much bigger opponent without using things like weapons or pencils or what not.

Ernest was taller and heavier then Drago, armed with a knife, was facing an exhausted John with a bruised knuckle and John still beat the dog shit outta Ernest. John wins low diff.

3 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Ernest was a full head taller and 30 pounds heavier then Drago, armed with a knife, and fighting a John Wick who was exhausted and fighting with a bruised right knuckle and John STILL beat the dog shit out of him WITHOUT a gun. John beats the hell out of Drago.

What are Ernest's qualifications for being a professional fighter? What style does he practice? He seems like he suffers from Large Russian Mook Made out of Metal disease. This disease only allows him to take damage but not dish it out.

Just now, Macklemore said:

What are Ernest's qualifications for being a professional fighter? What style does he practice? He seems like he suffers from Large Russian Mook Made out of Metal disease that only exists that be beaten around for years.

You asked me to show you proof of John winning a fight against a bigger opponent and I provided it. John’s not even my guy so I’m not gonna get too into this, but I am gonna lean John for the reasons I provided. 

1 minute ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

You asked me to show you proof of John winning a fight against a bigger opponent and I provided it. John’s not even my guy so I’m not gonna get too into this, but I am gonna lean John for the reasons I provided. 

I'm moving my goalposts. Also he used a book which won't be provided for him. It ain't WWE.

Thanks to Pizzaguy for representing. I think he hit the nail on the head with his point. John Wick can handle following rules of MMA if he needs to. He'll go for Drago's legs and get him on the ground where he has the upper hand. And he has the endurance to keep trying if it doesn't work the first time.

4 hours ago, SSJRuss said:

Thanks to Pizzaguy for representing. I think he hit the nail on the head with his point. John Wick can handle following rules of MMA if he needs to. He'll go for Drago's legs and get him on the ground where he has the upper hand. And he has the endurance to keep trying if it doesn't work the first time.

Again, there's literally no informed nor showcased skill in John Wick's fight against Ernest. He's large, but all he does is swing his knife downward. He doesn't even have proper knife fighting form. His whole shtick is being larger than life (because he is played by a basketball player), but once you actually start looking at the scene John taking him down is not really impressive at all.

I went with Drago. I just feel this venue plays more to his strengths.  John Wick depends on having weapons or using items in the environment as weapons, IMO.

In any other venue, where there are items in the environment to use as weapons (like a pencil, perhaps) I would give it to Wick.

On 11/27/2023 at 5:41 PM, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Dude anybody who knows MMA knows that boxers like Drago would get absolutely destroyed if they ever went into the Octagon. They only know how to punch and protect their face, how’s Drago gonna defend against leg kicks? Arm locks? Or take downs? John Wick is trained in Judo, Krav Maga, Sambo, and in both Brazilian and Japanese jiu-jitsu and that alone makes him a far more dangerous and skilled fighter then Drago could ever dream of. John folds Drago like paper.

Dude I think you are seriously underselling boxers. Boxing is more than punching. Their is a ton of foot work and movement involved. As well as distance, timing etc. their is also some grappling, in the form of clenching.

Also boxers don't always get wrecked in MMA. Going back to the early days of grapples vs boxers. Milo Savage went four rounds with Gene Lebell. Sure Milo lost, but Gene was taller, heavier, younger, and while Savage was a one time boxing contender. Lebell was a two time Judo champion, who also trained in boxing, wrestling, and a variety of other martial arts. 

Butterbean, Holly Holm, Kimbo Slice, and Ray Mercer also did just fine transitioning from boxing to MMA. Either winning belts in both or scoring victories over former MMA champions.

As to your other questions. You defend against leg kicks by stepping back or side movement. Avoiding attacks is something boxers do. We actually see this in Inoki vs Ali. Yes Ali does take some kicks to the leg, but we also see him figure out Inoki's timing and distance and avoid the kicks. Arm locks, a lot of them can be stopped by clenching. As for take downs, best to avoid them.

Drago also has options, that normal boxers don't. As he can simply power out of most holds. Something that does happen in real life sometimes to. Like when Shamrock tried to choke of Kimbo.

Also, also. We see Drago use throws and wrestle against Rocky, who fought a world champion wrestler to a tie, and Ivan would have learned at least the basics of sambo or ABR in the Soviet Army.

As for John we see him try most of the afore mentioned fancy stuff against the sumo in the second movie, on whom it has little effect and Wick just gets tossed around. Resorting to his gun to win the encounter.

So no he doesn't fold Drago like paper. Drago is massively out of Wicks league physically and has the needed skills to win.

Everyone seems to forget that Drago not only went under heavy training, but he was practically filled up with roids. Given that fact, I can see Ivan Drago at the very most giving John Wick the beating of a life time before John can figure out his weaknesses if any. Sure this is an MMA fight were kicks, throws and holds are allowed, but for someone like Drago? The guy dead ass killed another boxer in the ring, he don't give a shit. 

• Like 1

Drago is bigger, younger, faster, stronger, taller with NOW the ability to use his elbows, knees and feet! A nightmare matchup against a 50 something year man whose body is beat to hell from gunshot wounds and falls from 3 story buildings. A couple leg sweeps would break a bone in a man pushing 60! Drago might Creed him.