Lori Quaid: 3

Rumble 20533 Demoman vs. Ogra
MATCH SCORE
Demoman: 0
Ogra: 3

Match 19632 The Fog vs. The Mist Creatures

JohnnyChany

image.jpeg.52b778d4c564cbfe1cd03fd274e84d2d.jpeg

A HORRIBLE CHOICE! A TERRIFYING CHOICE! IS IT REALLY A CHOICE AT ALL OR MERE RESIGNATION?

You tried to think back at how you arrived at this point. A mere two days ago you had decided to make a trip to your hometown of Antonio Bay in northern California. The small coastal town was celebrating its centennial and you felt the urge to pay a visit, if for nothing else if not for nostalgia’s sake. You had no remaining family in Antonio Bay, but you did own a wealth of happy memories of growing up there as a child.

You drove in from the north and arrived at nightfall. Once you arrived at the edge of town a peculiar sight caught your eye. There was a wall of thick mist a few miles south of town. You had never seen the edge of a crazy weather event like this before so you drove up closer to get a better look. To your surprise, a man emerged from the thick cloud of mist as you drew near. It was a bespectacled gangly man who was bleeding from his arms.

“I made it out! I made it out!” The man cried out.

“Are you okay?” you inquired.

“Please sir, you have to get me out of here,” the man pleaded.

Not blindly trusting this stranger, you held your ground. “What is going on here?”

“There is no time,” the man insisted. When he noticed that you were not going to budge he relented. “Fine. My name is Stephen. I have been trapped in a grocery store for I don’t know, hours, days, the mist you see behind me enveloped everything. And with it came frightening monsters, large bugs, things you would have never imagined.”

“The creatures live within the mist?” you asked for clarification.

“Yes. There was a military experiment that went wrong and…. It’s a long story. But they are in there killing everything in sight,” explained Stephen.

It was a wild story, difficult to believe, but you definitely didn’t feel the need to go into the mist to verify. You have seen enough scary movies.

“I heard the military in the distance. They have finally come in and started to clean up some of their mess, but as long as mist remains, so do the monsters, and I don’t want to stick around because the mist is still moving,” Stephen declared.

You decided to take Stephen with you into town. Whether his story was true or not, he clearly needed medical attention and was in no condition to make any sudden moves. The two of you jumped into your car and you drove toward Antonio Bay. Stephen was insistent on the need to find a boat once you reach the bay to put as much distance between you and the mist as you could. At the entrance of the town, your car broke down. Taking the old hunk of junk was always going to be a risk, and now that risk was blowing up in your face. Both you and Stephen exited the vehicle. You didn’t have much time to inspect the problem, because something else immediately grabbed your attention. There was more mist coming from the town. Although it wasn’t mist exactly. The consistency and the constitution of the ominous cloud was different. It was fog. 

A person emerged from the darkness and fog. A face you hadn’t seen in many years. It was your childhood friend, John C. He looked terrified. He was constantly looking behind himself and almost ran directly into you.

“Hey John!”

He stopped in his tracks and squinted his eyes. “Oh my god! What are YOU doing here?”

“I came back… for the centennial,” you responded.

“You should have never come back,” John warned.

“Is something happening in our town?” you wondered. “It sort of resembles what we just left.”

“Wherever you came from you should turn around and go back there,” John said ominously.

“I’m never going back there!” shouted Stephen. “Whatever you are running from can’t be as bad.”

“I promise you it’s worse,” stated John.

Stephen shook his fist. “Is it large human devouring creatures? If not, I've lived through much worse.” 

John was taken back for a second before he answered. “No. They are the spirits of dead sailors haunting our town, looking for revenge for what was done to them.”

This was a lot of information being thrown at you, and you reacted appropriately. “What?!?”

“You remember the story we were always told as kids, about the clipper ship that crashed into Antonio Bay. Turns out that was all a lie, they were murdered, and now they have come back to kill us all!” John hesitated for a moment. “Specifically the ones who are descendants of their original killers, which would include me…. And you!”

You gasped.

“They are here to take a life for every life that was taken on that ship,” John concluded.

Stephen’s patience was wearing thin. “We don’t have time for this, we need to get to those boats and get away from here.”

“There is no way in hell I’m going back into that town!” shouted John.

The dreadful decision had presented itself. You looked back and had some heartbreaking confirmation. Stephen had been right, the mist was moving and it now covered the road that you initially drove down. There were only two choices.

“Did you hear what I said?” John screamed to recall your attention. “They are here to kill you. We need to leave!”

“Going into the mist will only ensure your own demise,” Stephen predicted.

“Who exactly are you?” John then turned to you. “Is he a friend of yours”

“I just met him.”

“Have you seen these creatures he is so afraid of?”

“No,” you admitted.

“How can you be sure they are actually there and he isn’t a liar? You can’t be seriously willing  to risk your life believing a stranger’s fantastical story,” John reasoned.

“No more fantastical than revenge seeking sailor ghosts,” Stephen remarked bitterly

“You did say the military had arrived, right?” .You noted. “It may be over soon.”

Stephen’s eyes widened. “You can’t be serious! Maybe I need to describe to you how gigantic and horrifying some of these creatures are!”

“Even if that mist is full of monsters, at least they won’t be specifically after me. That’s where I’m heading!” John declared. “Just need to survive long enough for the military to save the day.”

“I’m going to the bay! Even if it’s by myself!” Stephen announced. “I’m not from your stupid town, I will probably be spared. If not, I just need to survive long enough for them to fulfill their bloodlust and leave. I’ll take those odds over the creatures of the mist any day. They have no death quota.”

John and Stephen stood for a moment waiting for you to speak and make a decision. When you didn’t respond right away they stormed off in opposite directions, both cursing you out.

WHERE DO YOU GO?

Very good set-up, Johnny. I don't know how others are missing out on this. Interesting that this is from a second-person P.O.V., too. I don't see that too often. 

As for the match, I haven't seen The Fog or The Mist, but after looking up both the ghosts and the Mist Creatures, I'd honestly try to avoid both of those phenomena as long as I could.

Gotta think on this one. 

• Like 1

So I assume we pick the scenario we’d rather take our chances on surviving? In that case I think I’d rather try my luck on the Mist, as long as I don’t go outside or listen to any nutty, self-appointed messiahs then I think I’ll be able to survive. I’d rather deal with animals that have basic instincts and motives then freaking ghosts anyways.

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - patrickthekid
4.70 - DSkillz
4.20 - Pizzaguy2995
4.80 - Boratz

FPA Calculation:
4 Total Votes cast
18.70 Total Combined Score
18.70 / 4 = 4.67 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
The Fog: 2