Lori Quaid: 3

Rumble 20533 Demoman vs. Ogra
MATCH SCORE
Demoman: 0
Ogra: 3

Match 18935 Inigo Montoya vs. Madmartigan

The Thieves Forest

Go back to the beginning. 

That was what Vizzini had instructed him to do should the three of them ever become separated. The Sicillian was as brilliant as he was arrogant and his plans never failed. Except kidnapping the princess it seemed. 

Now Inigo Montoya was at the tavern of the Thieves Forest waiting. Waiting for Vizzini to come and collect him. His money was beginning to dwindle as he spent it on ale after ale. For the first time in his life Inigo felt directionless. 

There was no Vizzini screeching in his ear to do something. He supposed he should resume his quest to find the six fingered man and avenge his father. But he would wait for Vizzini and Fezzek just a bit longer. 

Inigo watched as a few thieves were trading blows, each accusing the other of cheating at cards. The fight made him recall his latest duel against the mysterious man in black. It had been years since Inigo had lost a duel, and with his right hand at that. Just who was that man? He even spared Inigo’s life. 

Someday Inigo hoped to cross swords with him again. 

As Inigo sat and contemplated there was a ruckus as a newcomer swaggered his way into the tavern. 

He wore a longsword and a smirk, his hair in braids. He drew attention to himself as he walked in and basked in it.

“Names Madmartigan and I’m the best swordsman in the world.” 

Some of the toughs looked on appraisingly, sizing up the loud newcomer. 

“I’ve never heard of you.” Inigo stated.

Madmartigan looked at the Spainiard aghast. 

“What?” 

“I’ve never heard of you. You say you are the greatest, but I have not heard of you, and I have dedicated my life to the study of fencing.”

Madmartigan sidled up to the bar and faced Inigo. 

“Is that right? Well maybe you need to get out more.” 

Inigo shrugged before a thought came to him. 

“You don’t happen to have six fingers on your right hand do you?” 

Madmartigan frowned, “No, why.” 

“My father’s murderer had six fingers. I just like to check.” 

Madmartigan shook his head and ordered a drink. 

“Well good luck finding the guy. Want my advice?” 

“Not particularly.” Inigo replied.

Madmartigan scowled, “I’ll tell you anyway. Ditch that skinny stick and get yourself a real weapon.” 

At this Madmartigan patted his longsword.

Inigo chuckled, “That butcher’s cleaver? Please.” 

“Butcher’s cleaver? If I wasn’t busy I’d show you just how outmatched you would be.” 

“Why not now?” Inigo stood up.

The tavern had grown silent, all eyes were on the two swordsmen. Inigo’s hand hovered over the hilt of his rapier. 

“Best swordsman in the world? Prove it.” 

Madmartigan stood up. “Why don’t we make this more interesting.” 

He held up a bag of coin. 

“You beat me. This is yours.” 

“Deal.” Inigo nodded.

The two strode outside the tavern with the patrons following behind, already bets were being made.   

Inigo drew his rapier and took a reay stance, sword in his left hand. Madmartigan raised a brow before he drew his own blade and took a stance. The two eyed one another each waiting for the other to make the first move. 

“First blood?” Inigo asked.

“First to yield.” Madmartigan replied.

With the terms of the duel set, the two began to circle one another. Inigo made a feint for Madmartigan who merely shifted seeing the ploy. A grin from Madmartigan and he stepped forward with a swing, Inigo drew back and then stepped forward with the point of his sword. 

Fight is on no armor, no offhand weapons, no shields. Both are slightly intoxicated but not too badly. Fight goes till one decides he’s had enough or there’s a death. Which of these 80s fantasy swordsmen wins?  

Fantastic match, Mercenary. Really enjoyed the setup. Also appreciate the video because that thought did occur to me. Been awhile since I saw Willow. Looked up some clips, I think the graceful moves of Inigo will win him this fight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyChany said:

Fantastic match, Mercenary. Really enjoyed the setup. Also appreciate the video because that thought did occur to me. Been awhile since I saw Willow. Looked up some clips, I think the graceful moves of Inigo will win him this fight.

Thanks! Yeah rapiers aren't really as dainty and frail as people think they are. You're welcome for the video, I love HEMA stuff.

19 hours ago, leroypowell3 said:

I'm going against the crown and saying Madmartigan. He killed a dragon (king of).

Interesting. Though counter argument, being able to kill a monster does not necessarily mean you can beat a skilled swordsman. 

Good set-up, Merc, and interesting match-up of contrasting swordsmen. 

Now, possibly the last time I saw Willow through was in the theater back in '89, so I had to look Madmartigan up regarding his skill. He has raw talent, but he apparently skipped out on some of his lessons in his youth. Even though he picked up another master later, he likely lost some time refining his skill beforehand. Meanwhile, Inigo spent most of his life training with the best fencing masters around. 

While I think Madmartigan may give Inigo a good fight, Inigo's more experienced, likely more skilled, and has the lighter blade to get in more strikes. I think Montoya wins in the end. 

40 minutes ago, DSkillz said:

Good set-up, Merc, and interesting match-up of contrasting swordsmen. 

Now, possibly the last time I saw Willow through was in the theater back in '89, so I had to look Madmartigan up regarding his skill. He has raw talent, but he apparently skipped out on some of his lessons in his youth. Even though he picked up another master later, he likely lost some time refining his skill beforehand. Meanwhile, Inigo spent most of his life training with the best fencing masters around. 

While I think Madmartigan may give Inigo a good fight, Inigo's more experienced, likely more skilled, and has the lighter blade to get in more strikes. I think Montoya wins in the end. 

Thanks DS! I'm glad you liked it

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - StormChaser
5.00 - JohnnyChany
5.00 - Boratz
4.50 - DSkillz

FPA Calculation:
4 Total Votes cast
19.50 Total Combined Score
19.50 / 4 = 4.88 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE