Demoman: 0
Ogra: 3

Rumble 20532 Shark Boy and Lava Girl vs. Freddy Krueger
MATCH SCORE
Shark Boy and Lava Girl: 4
Freddy Krueger: 3

Match 18557 Ellen Yin vs. Elisa Maza

broadwaybeyonder

Elisa Maza slowly opened her eyes, her head throbbing in pain.  She groaned and sat up on the bed she was on.  The room was dimly lit by candles, and the ornate furniture was covered with cobwebs and dust.  The sound of rain beat out an anarchistic rhythm on the windowpane.  Elisa took a hold of a bed post and pulled herself up as she tried to gather her thoughts.  She had been responding to a call of suspicious activity around an east side apartment building.  She saw a figure ducking into an alley, she followed them, and then… nothing but darkness. 

She checked in her shoulder holster and saw that her service revolver was still there and fully loaded.  “Knock me out, kidnap me, but let me have my gun?” she mused as she drew her weapon.  “Alright then.  Let’s see if I can find my host.” 

Elisa walked across the carpeted floor and reached for the doorknob.  The creak of hinges cut through the stale air.  Elisa peeked out into the hall to see it just as deserted as her room. She stepped forward with her revolver at the ready, a flash of lightning showing her silhouette on the wall ahead of her.  But Elisa could have sworn she saw another shadow in the instant of brightness.  Perhaps her attacker was coming to check on her.  Elisa took a breath to steady herself, then deliberately turned the corner. 

“FREEZE!”  Both Elisa and the stranger said the command almost simultaneously.  It was a woman of Asian descent, wearing an outfit similar to Elisa’s, and pointing a weapon at her that resembled a taser. 

“Put the gun down, now,” the woman ordered. 

“Sure,” said Elisa not budging an inch.  “Right after you put down the ray gun.” 

“I will use it if you don’t put down your weapon!  I am Detective Yin, GCPD!  Now put it down and keep your hands where I can see them!” 

Elisa looked surprised at the detective’s words.  “Wait.  You’re a cop?  We’re you kidnapped too?” 

“I’m asking the questions.  Now are you going to follow simple instructions, or do I have to use force?” 

“Look, detective,” said Elisa, keeping her voice calm.  “I know this going to sound weird, but I’m a detective too.  Detective Elisa Maza, NYPD.”  Yin didn’t look impressed.  “Yeah, sure.”  The two stood frozen, another flash of lighting brightening the hall for a moment.  Yin’s eyes narrowed.  “If you are a detective, let’s see the badge.”  Elisa nodded, still focused on Yin.  “Fine.  I’m reaching for my badge in my back pocket.  You show me yours.”  The two women reached for their wallets as they held their weapons at the ready.  After a few tense moments, the detectives held out their respective badges, the candlelight reflecting off the metal. 

“Alright,” Elisa breathed.  “Seeing as how we play for the same team, don’t you think we should avoid shooting each other?”  Yin sighed and nodded.  The two detectives holstered their weapons and Elisa glanced around the hallway.  “Have you seen anyone else?” 

“No one.  I was in my patrol car on break when I felt someone put a needle in my neck.  When I woke up, I was laid out in one of the guest rooms.  That’s when I heard you moving around out here.”

A roll of thunder rang out as Elisa and Yin walked around the corner and saw they were on the second floor.  As they continued down the wooden staircase, they saw the large reception hall leading to the door.  It was just as dusty and deserted as the rest of the house.  But they could see that there was shimmering light in front of the door, and a futuristic looking keypad attached to the wall next to it. 

“I didn’t realize that Victorian mansions came with force fields,” snarked Elisa. 

“They do if whoever kidnapped us wants us to stay put,” said Yin.  She pulled out her Batwave and pressed the button to signal Batman, but the device only beeped futilely in response. 

“What is that?” asked Elisa.  Yin looked at the Batwave in frustration.  “Let’s just say it’s a souped-up pager.  But either we’re not in Gotham or the signal is getting blocked.” 

“Sorry, detectives.  But I’m afraid I cannot allow any of your winged friends to join us this evening.” 

Maza and Yin turned in the direction of the voice.  A screen was projected on one of the rain drenched windows to reveal a confident face that Elisa knew all too well. 

“Xantos!” she said grimly. 

“Hello, Detective Maza,” said Xantos.  “I hope you’ve fully recovered from the drug used to bring you here.  And Detective Ellen Yin.  A pleasure to finally meet you face to face.   My name is David Xanatos.” 

“You know this creep?” asked Yin.  “Unfortunately,” said Elisa, glaring at the screen.  “He’s a manipulative snake who’s not afraid to use anybody or anything to get what he wants.” 

“Now there’s no need to be insulting, detective,” Xanatos said coolly. 

“Why don’t you just tell us what this is all about?” Yin said, taking her place at Elisa’s side.  Xanatos’ smiled through the static of the screen.  “Just as I thought.  In my attempts to better understand you, Detective Maza, I stumbled on the file of Detective Yin.  I was fascinated by the similarities between the two of you.  Not just in your chosen profession.  But your morality, your personalities.  Your… physical appearances.” 

“Get to the point,” snapped Elisa. 

Xanatos’ eyes narrowed.  “The point, detective, is that with every point of symmetry, the more curious I became.  It started me wondering: just how similar are the two of you?  Which of you is the superior detective?  To answer to these questions, I’ve brought you here.” 

“Look, mister,” Yin interrupted.  “Neither of us are going to sit quietly locked up while you play whatever crazy game you’ve come up with.” 

“I assure you, detective, this ‘game’ is perfectly logical.  And if locked doors bother you, allow me to alleviate some of your tension.”  There was a click as a door on the other side of the reception hall creaked open.  Maza and Yin swiftly drew their weapons.  “Funny,” said Yin.  “My tension doesn’t feel all that alleviated.” 

The two detectives slowly approached the door.  Yin took a position by the frame and Elisa moved in front.  Elisa held up three fingers and Yin nodded.  Elisa counted down and kicked the door the rest of the way open.  Her and Yin burst into the room, revolver and taser at the ready.  A dusty candelabra was the only source of the light in a room with furniture covered in drop cloths.  In the center of the room was a human shape. 

“We’ve got a body!” Yin said, drawing closer to the figure as Elisa closed the door behind them.  She knelt beside the body of a man in his forties, his clothes looking like they had torn and ripped.  Yin checked his pulse.  “He’s dead.  I’m no coroner but it feels like it’s been for a while.  His body’s ice cold.”  Elisa looked up around the room.  “So this is how you wanted to see which of us is the better detective?  You brought us to see you’ve killed someone?”  Another screen projected over the fireplace, showing Xanatos shaking his head.  “Really, detective.  Do you really think it would be that simple?  No, I did not kill this man.  But someone in this house did.  And you and Detective Yin will remain here until you discover who that is.”  Yin reached into the man’s coat pocket and pulled out a wallet.  There was no money or cards inside except for his license. 

“Henry I. DeBoots.  Metropolis.  Well, I can’t see a visible wounds or signs of violence.  Henry here could have been murdered somewhere and brought here for all we know.” 

“Oh, Mr. DeBoots’ death did take place, detective,” said Xanatos. 

“And you say that someone in this house killed him?” asked Elisa. 

Xanatos smirked.  “I’m sure the two of you have played the game of ‘Clue’ before.  There are 6 potential suspects that I’ve brought here to play our game, and their files have been hidden in the basement of this manor.  Input the name of the one who killed Henry DeBoots into the keypad at the front door, the force field will deactivate, and you will be free to go.” 

Yin looked at Elisa.  “Well, I’m up to you it if you are.  Between the two of us we should be able to figure this out.” 

A piercing squeal rang out through the manor.  The detectives spun around to face the door as the noises got louder.  “Unfortunately, you won’t have much time for collaboration, detectives,” said Xanatos.  “I do believe that our Professor Plum is coming to say hello.” 

The screen switched off and Yin and Maza aimed at the door.  A metal pipe smashed through the old wood and was yanked back out.  Another blow left the door hanging loosely from it’s hinges.  The detectives looked on in shock at the sight of an obese man dressed in a white apron and a pig mask. 

“Hello, dears!” he snorted.  “Pyg is here!  Pyg here to make you perfect!” 

With sudden quickness, Professor Pyg charged into the room brandishing the pipe.  Before the detectives could fire, he swung the pipe and caught Yin on the arm.  She stumbled backwards into a bookcase that swung around and sent her tumbling into a secret passageway before closing again. 

“YIN!” Elisa shouted.  Pyg brought the pipe down again, knocking the revolver out of Eisa’s hands.  He raised up his weapon again as Elisa combat rolled out of the way.  She looked up behind her to see that Pyg’s eyes were glowing.  “No,” she whispered.  “It can’t be!”  Pyg gave another tortuned squeal and lunged for Elisa, but she grabbed her revolver and ran back into the hall. 

In another part of the manor, a panel slid aside, and Yin fell out of the passage.  She sprawled out on the floor and slowly rose up to her knees.  She heard high pitched giggle coming from above her, when suddenly a woman dressed in black with white skin dropped down from the ceiling.  Yin leapt back as the woman grinned maniacally.  Yin held up her taser.  “Back off!”  The woman took another step forward unblinking.  “Nice, little toy.  Shiny, shiny.”  She raised a gold candlestick above her head.  “Magpie’s got something shiny, shiny too!” 

A gunshot rang out from across the room, and both Yin and Magpie turned to see a woman in a red bombers jacket pointing a revolver at them.  “Back off, bird brain,” the woman said, eyes flashing dangerously.  “This one’s mine.  You’ve had enough playtime today.”  Magpie snarled as her eyes glowed.  “Good thing you wore red tonight.  It’ll hide the stains!”  Magpie charged at Roxy, candlestick upraised, and talons extended.  Yin bolted for the door and closed it, only for another figure dressed in green and armed with a large wrench to block her path. 

“It’s been a long time, detective,” he hissed. 

“Nygma?!” said Yin.  “What is this?” 

“I drip, I splatter, and from that matter a story I do tell,” Riddler sneered.  “I travel in my vessel, but I’m trapped within a cell.  What am I?”  Riddler swung the wrench and Yin ducked out of the way.  “The answer is blood,” said Riddler, glaring at Yin.  “Specifically, yours.” 

Elisa had managed to lose Pyg, taking a moment to rest with her back to a wall, when she heard the sound of someone crying.  She peered into the darkness to see a little girl in a blue dress with her hair curls, holding her head in her hands and sobbing.  Elisa slowly walked over to her.  “Hey, sweetheart.  Are you alright?” 

“I want my mommy,” she sniffled  “The bad mans going to come back again.”  Elisa held out her hand to the girl.  “Don’t worry, it’s gonna be alright.  I’m going to get you out of here.” 

Elisa felt a rope snake around her wrist the instant before she was yanked down face first to the ground.  The girl was no longer crying as her eyes shined the same as Pyg’s.  “Baby Doll doesn’t want you to leave,” she said as Elisa furiously untied herself.  Baby Doll pulled the rope behind her as Elisa scooted away from her.  Cinderella dressed in yellow, went upstairs to kiss her fella,” Baby Doll sang.  “Kissed a snake by mistake.  How many doctors will she take?”  1!  2!  3!”  With each number Baby Doll cracked the rope like a whip, forcing Elisa further back.  She struggled to her feet and ran into a side room, slamming the door behind her.  “I see you’ve met my Mrs. Peacock, Detective Maza,” Xanatos’ voice rang out over a speaker through the manor.  “And now you are ready to meet Colonel Mustard.”  Elisa looked into the darkened room to see a figure covered in scars and wielding a knife.  “Just how is he a colonel?” Elisa said shakily as the figure sneered at her.  “Come, come, detective.  Haven’t you heard how some people just can’t cut the mustard?” 

Zsasz lunged for Elisa and dodged the blade, embedding it in the door.  Elisa ran for the bookcase in the room.  “Come on!” she muttered, feeling the side of the bookcase.  “There has to be another way out!”  Zsasz yanked his blade free and advanced on Elisa.  Elisa’s fingers felt a button and pressed it, causing the bookcase to swing around and whisk her away.  She slid down a tunnel that deposited her into the manor’s kitchen.  She glared at a projection of Xanatos over the stove.  “What have you done to these people?  Their eyes!  The only time I’ve seen that glow is from the gargoyles.” 

“An innovation of Anton’s,” Xanatos explained.  “He had hypothesized that Goliath’s strength increased with his rage.  He simply applied that theory to these six individuals with a drug that enhanced their adrenaline and emotional responses.” 

“And one of them killed that man in the study?” asked Elisa.  Xanatos smiled.  “It’s up to you, detective.  I’m the master of this game of Clue and you and Detective Yin are my players.  Are you up to the challenge?” 

Elisa rose to her feet, staring defiantly at Xanatos’ projection.  “I am.  And once I found out who murdered Mr. DeBoots, I’m going to find you and lock you away for good!” 

OK:

Elisa Maza and Ellen Yin are trapped in a manor that is based off the board game Clue. 

Their potential suspects are:

Professor Pyg (Professor Plum).

Magpie (Mrs. White)

Roxy Rocket (Miss Scarlet)

The Riddler (Mr. Green)

Baby Doll (Mrs. Peacock)

Victor Zsasz (Colonel Mustard)

All have been given a drug to increase their strength and aggression. 

Maza and Yin are separated and cannot work together. 

The first detective to survive the suspects, input the name of the person who killed Henry I. Deboots into the front door keypad, and escape, wins. 

Game On! 

Battle of the red-jacketed cartoon detectives! :D About time a proper match was made for these two. I mean, we've had a Rumble, and they just missed facing off in a Fantasy Draft. 

Good set-up, broadway, though Xanatos seems a little more sinister than usual here. I'm not real familiar with Yin because I never watched much of The Batman (Ninja Joker, Kung-Fu Penguin, etc. turned me off of it early), but a clip I saw once shows she might be a decent fighter. I'm a lot more familiar with the Gargoyles characters, and Elisa's smarts and fighting skills are no joke, either. 

As for the match, this could be a tough one. I can't speak for Ellen's detective skills, but may have more experience dealing with Batman villains. I know Elisa's a very good detective, and she would likely do better in combat against this crew since she's used to going toe-to-toe with gargoyles, New Olympians, and the like and holding her own. 

• Like 1

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - Boratz
5.00 - StormChaser
5.00 - Venom 2009
4.50 - DSkillz
5.00 - patrickthekid

FPA Calculation:
5 Total Votes cast
24.50 Total Combined Score
24.50 / 5 = 4.90 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Ellen Yin: 4
Elisa Maza: 3

• 2 weeks later...

THE BOTTOM LINE

Elisa Maza frantically pressed the buttons on the keypad by the front door.  There had been no visible signs of physical assault on Henry I. DeBoots body, so the weapons Xanatos had given these maniacs were probably just red herrings.  She had been able to evade the ‘suspects’ to get into the basement and sort through the piles of folders and binders scattered within.  Her intuition had led her to Margaret Sorrow, the one who called herself Magpie.  In her file, Maza learned that Magpie’s nails were tipped with curare, even a small scratch would be deadly.  DeBoots clothes did look torn, and he had no jewelry, despite having the mark of a ring on his index finger.  Perhaps Magpie attacked DeBoots for his ‘shiny’ ring, and her nails finished him off. 

The keyboard beeped disparagingly and ‘Incorrect!’ flashed across the screen.  “Okay,” said Maza, trying to stay calm.  “One down, five to go.” 

The sound of footsteps thundering down the stairs caused Maza to spin around and aim her pistol.  Growling and snarling, Professor Pyg, Zsasz, and Roxy Rocket reached the bottom the staircase and brandished their weapons at Maza.  “You won’t get away from me this time!” snarled Zsasz.  “No, no no!” Pyg whined.  “Let Pyg fix this naughty, little thing.  Pyg can make her all better!” 

“Oh, just shut up and kill her!” Roxy shouted.  Roxy pointed her revolver, but Maza shot first, hitting Roxy in the hand.  Screaming in pain, Roxy fell to her knees clutching her hand as Zsasz and Pyg charged at Maza.  Zsasz slashed with knife and Maza jumped out of the way.  Grabbing him by the arm, Maza sent Zsasz straight in the forcefield shielding the door.  Electricity crackled as the metal of the serial killer’s blade sent charges coursing through his body.  His body twitched as he dropped to the floor unconscious.  Pyg snorted madly and swung his pipe.  Maza saw stars as the pipe collided with the back of her head.  She looked up in terror as Pyg raised his weapon above his head, squealing with glee.  “Yes, Mother Goat!  She’ll be perfect for yoGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGA!”  Pyg’s gloating devolved into screams as a blast from Yin’s taser struck him in the back.  The pipe fell from his grip to the floor, followed by Pyg himself.  Roxy gave an incoherent scream and lurched towards Yin, only for her to easily judo toss the stuntwoman into the railing of the staircase. 

“Thanks,” Maza said, wincing in pain as Yin holstered the taser and hurried to the keypad.  “Don’t thank me yet,” said Yin.  “Not until we know my hunch is right.”  The sounds of screams and yells echoed down the halls towards the detectives.  “You figured out who killed DeBoots?” asked Maza. 

“Maybe.  I just have one question.  This Xanatos guy.  Is he as big of snake as you say he is?” 

“The biggest.  Anytime you think you’ve got his plans figured out, he’s got about five more that put you right where he wants you.” 

Yin turned back to the keypad.  “I hope so.  Otherwise, you better be ready to use that gun of yours, or those three lunatics are going to tear us to pieces.” 

Yin quickly punched in the name of her suspect and pressed enter.  The screen flashed green, and the force field disappeared from in front of the door.  Maza moved up to a knee and gazed at the name on the screen. 

“Henry I. DeBoots?!”  Yin nodded.  “I was thinking that was what Xanatos’ game was.  All he said was that there were 6 potential suspects and someone in the house killed DeBoots.  I went down in the basement looking for the criminals’ files, and managed to find one tucked away.  DeBoots’ file.” 

“DeBoots had a record?” 

“Nothing like these freaks.  But 6 counts of drunk and disorderly.  The man was an alcoholic.  He fell off the grid years ago, and probably kept right on drinking.  I’ll bet that if we do an autopsy on that body, he’ll probably will have died from liver disease or something years ago.  That would explain why his body is so cold.  He’s been kept on ice in a morgue somewhere.” 

“Brilliant deduction, detectives.”  The women turned to see David Xanatos with a gun in his hand, and behind him an incredibly obese man in an orange costume that barely fit him.  “Guess these two girls really did put on their thinking caps, didn’t they, Mr. Xanatos?” 

“Cluemaster,” Yin groaned.  “Cluemaster?” asked Maza, unimpressed.  “Is that the reason for all the board game references?  You were working with this guy?” 

“Hey!” Cluemaster snapped.  “This ‘guy’ was the one Mr. Xanatos chose to help him retrofit this dump.  And trap all of these losers.  And..” 

“That will do, Arthur,” Xanatos said.  He turned his attention back to Maza and Yin.  “Detective Maza was correct about one thing.  I always have a contingency plan.  And since it doesn’t behoove me to let you leave and go to the police…”  Maza scrambled to pick up her revolver and pointed it at Xanatos.  “Don’t even think about it, Xanatos.  Put that gun down.  Now!”  Xanatos gave a confident smirk.  “Sorry, Detective.  But only one person can win this game.” 

A gunshot rang out.  The revolver dropped from Maza’s grip as she and Yin looked in shock at the hole in Xanatos’ chest.  Out the hole could be seen sparking circuitry and wiring.  The robot-Xanatos fell backward, it’s face still twisted with an arrogant smile. 

“But… but… this can’t be right!” stammered Cluemaster.  “He hired me!  We went over everything together!” 

“Straight out of Xanatos’ playbook,” Maza said grimly.  “With this android, Xanatos could say that someone was pretending to be him.” 

“And Cluemaster’s left holding the bag,” concluded Yin. 

“NO!  NO FAIR!” Cluemaster screamed.  The deranged man lumbered toward the detectives, fists clenched.  The two women shared a look, then both delivered a kick to the head of Cluemaster.  The shock sent the criminal staggering backwards into a wall, activating another secret passage that sent him sliding out of sight.  Maza dropped down to the floor and was helped up by Yin.  “Easy, Elisa.  Let’s get you out of here.”  Maza glanced around the now empty hall.  “What about Zsasz and the others?  They’re all gone!”  Yin pushed open the door as she walked Maza out with her.  “Let’s get you out of here first.  When we get a cell signal through, we can call the authorities to round up these creeps.” 

Cluemaster rolled out of the secret passage into the basement.  He hit his head hard against the concrete floor.  He looked up with a moan to see the six ‘suspects’, all still brandishing their weapons. 

“Aww, the bad mans fell down?” giggled Baby Doll. 

“We wouldn’t want him to hurt himself.  Not before us, anyway,” snarled Zsasz. 

“You’re the one who dragged us to this dump!” said Roxy. 

“Put those nasty chemicals in Pyg’s arm,” Pyg oinked. 

“But he did give us some shiny, shiny toys,” grinned Magpie. 

“So, the question is,” said Riddler, as the villains advanced eyes glowing on the cowering Cluemaster.  “Which of us is going to be one to really murder someone?” 

All Cluemaster could do was let out a scream that echoed through the halls of the manor. 

• Like 1