Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Rumble 20539 Whitespikes vs. The Xenomorphs
MATCH SCORE
Whitespikes: 0
The Xenomorphs: 3

Cameron Poe vs. Castor Troy
MATCH SCORE
Cameron Poe: 3
Castor Troy: 0

Raphael (Mirage) vs. Ken Masters
MATCH SCORE
Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

Match 18103 Sweet vs. The Music Meister

Lin-Manuel Miranda sat in the backseat of his limousine and looked out the window as the driver made his way through the streets of Los Angeles.  The driver absentmindedly tapped on the steering wheel in time to ‘We Don’t Talk About Bruno’ as it blared over the radio.  Lin brushed off his tuxedo and tried to ignore it. 

“Lin?  Are you good?”  Lin turned to his wife Vanessa sitting next to him.  Wearing an expensive, black dress she looked at her husband with concern.  Lin adjusted his tie, and took a deep breath.  “Yeah, yeah.  I’m good.  I’m just.. thinking.” 

“Really?” Vanessa said, putting on a wide-eyed expression.  “I couldn’t tell.  I just thought you were really invested in watching every car going by.”  Lin chuckled and Vanessa scooted closer to him.  “I get it.  It’s a big night.  You don’t get nominated for an Oscar every day.”  Lin turned back to the window.  “I know, but still.  After all the ceremonies I’ve gone to, I’d have thought I’d be used to it by now.  I guess part of me still gets nervous.  Especially when tonight could be the night I…”  Lin’s voice trailed off.  Vanessa let her head rest on Lin’s shoulder.  “You know, I was listening to this musical one time.  And in it there’s this song where someone’s feeling stressed out.  I think the title is called ‘Breathe’?”  Lin gave a wry smile and looked at Vanessa.  “You don’t say?  Who wrote it?”  Vanessa wrapped her arms around Lin’s waist.  “Eh, some talented, gorgeous, Puerto Rican genius named Lin-Manuel Miranda.”    She looked up at Lin’s face.  “And I hear he’s got a wife who loves him with all her heart.  And would love him just as much even if he never won an award in his life.”  Lin returned the embrace and gently kissed Vanessa.  “Really?  Not even one little award?” 

“Weeell.” Vanessa grinned as she leaned in for another kiss.  “Maybe one little award would be nice.”  The couple chuckled softly and Vanessa laid her head back on Lin’s shoulder.  But Lin had already returned his gaze out the window, thinking on the night ahead of him. 

The limo eventually reached the Dolby Theater.  The street was filled with camera crews and sight seers.  The door to the limo opened and Lin stepped out, helping Vanessa out after him.  The crowd burst into cheers and applause.  Lin noticed a couple of teenagers waving signs with the “Hamilton” logo screaming for his attention.  “It never gets old, does it?” Vanessa smiled.  “Just louder,” said Lin.  He took Vanessa’s arm and waved to the crowd.  They made their way down the red carpet until they were confronted by a women in a pink dress holding a microphone.  She waved her camera man over to her and started speaking excitedly.  “Hey, everybody!  It’s your girl Meagan for Entertainment Exposed.  You won’t believe who I’m with right now!  Just pulled up to the red carpet, it’s none other than Oscar nominated composer Lin-Manuel Miranda!  Along with his wife Vanessa!  May I say you both are looking fabulous tonight!” 

“Thanks, Meagan.  So do you,’ said Lin, glancing back as the fans roared for another celebrity’s arrival.  “So,” Meagan went on.  “This is such a big night for you, Lin.   This is your second time being nominated for Best Original Song, and if you win tonight, you will have achieved the EGOT, getting an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony Award.  How excited are you to be on the verge of such a milestone?”  Lin cleared his throat and felt Vanessa give his arm a supporting squeeze before answering.  “Well, it’s incredible.  Starting out I never would have dreamed I’d be in a position to win an Oscar.  But you never know.  Tonight might be the night, and I’m honored to share the category with some amazing artists.” 

Megan turned back to the camera.  “And I’m sure it would be even more amazing to be one of only 17 artists to have won the EGOT.  Now, you mentioned your competition.  Don’t you think ‘We Don’t Talk About Bruno’ has the best chance to win?”  Lin paused and shared an awkward glance at Vanessa.  “Um, I’m not nominated for “Bruno”.”  Meagan cocked her head in confusion.  “Really?  I could’ve sworn it was.  It’s on the radio all the time.” 

“Yes, well, it is.  But the nomination is for another song I wrote for ‘Encanto’.  ‘Dos Oruguitas’?”  Meagan’s face remained blank.  “’Dos Orug…’  Oh, right.  ‘Dos Oruguitas’.  What’s that mean again?”  Lin coughed uncomfortably.  “It’s Spanish for ‘Two Little Caterpillars’.”  Meagan gave a smile that struggled to appear sincere.  “Oh, I see.  Caterpillars.  That sounds… nice.”  Vanessa took a step closer to the microphone.  “It is a beautiful song.  It’s the first one Lin’s written for a project that’s entirely in Spanish.  It really is touching how it came together for the movie.” 

“Yeah, yeah, I’m sure,” interrupted Meagan.  “But don’t you think ‘Bruno’ would have been more of a sure thing to win the Oscar?”  Lin and Vanessa stared at each other for a moment only to hear a voice coming towards them.  “Lin, kid!  Vanessa!  There you are!”  A bald man in a tux and tie ran over to them.  “Hey, Brian,” said Lin as his agent put his arms around him and Vanessa.  “Excuse me,” said Meagan. “This is an interview.” 

“And it’s over now, lady,” said Brian as he ushered Lin and Vanessa away.  “Don’t worry, there will be plenty of time to talk to Lin after the ceremony.”  Lin glanced back to see Meagan’s flustered face before turning back to Brian.  “Thanks, man.  You’re a life saver.” 

“Hey, don’t worry about it,” said Brian.  “What kind of agent would I be if I let my friend deal with wannabe Barbara Walters on the night he wins an Oscar?” 

“Well, let’s not pop champagne just yet,” said Lin as they worked their way through the crowd.  “I’m going up against Van Morrison, Beyonce…” 

“And your song is just as good as theirs,” said Vanessa.  “Of course it is,” said Brian.  “So just relax.  I’ve got it all taken care of.”  Lin stopped short and looked at Brian.  “What do you mean, ‘taken care of’?”  Brian tugged on his collar and cleared his throat.  “Um, nothing.  Hey!  Look at the time!  They’re going to be getting started soon!  You kids go ahead and get your seats.  Chris and Alex are already in there.  I’ll be with you guys in a bit!”  Lin and Vanessa watched as Brian hurried off.  “At least we managed to find someone in this town more nervous than you,” Vanessa joked.  “Yeah,” Lin said vacantly.  “I wonder what he was talking about?”  Vanessa took Lin’s arm.  “You can think about it later.  Right now, let’s just have a great night.  You ready, Mr. Miranda?”  Lin looked at the entrance to the theater and nodded.  “I guess so, Mrs. Miranda.” 

The couple made their way down the aisle to where Chris Jackson, Alex Lacamoire, and Lin’s friends and family were seated.  A short time later, the 94th Academy Awards began.  There was the usual fare of an opening number, monologues from Amy Schumer, Wanda Sykes, and Regina Hall, followed by the presenting of award after award.  In between reciting of nominees and excited acceptance speeches, the songs nominated for Best Song were performed.  The crowd was hushed as Sebastian Yatra sang ‘Dos Oruguitas’, win Lin looking on from his seat.  He felt Vanessa’s hand on his as the song reached it’s final chords.  The crowd burst into applause and Sebastian pointed and bowed to Lin.  But Lin’s mind was still elsewhere. 

“Sorry, Vanessa,” he said as the music for the commercial break cued up.  “I need to step outside for a second.” 

“But they’ll be giving out the award for Best Song soon!” Vanessa whispered.  “Don’t worry, I just need to hit the restroom real quick and I’ll be right back.  I promise.”  A quick kiss on the cheek and Lin quickly set off back up the aisle. 

Lin pushed open the heavy doors and started walking through the lobby.  He opened a door to a backstage entrance and ducked inside.  He leaned his head and right arm against the wall.  His mind was buzzing.  Was this the night?  Was he really going to win an Oscar?  Or come up short again?  Lin closed his eyes tight.  Vanessa was right.  He needed to calm down, to focus. 

That’s when Lin heard the sound of a voice coming from down the hall.  He took a step forward and saw that the door to a boiler room was open.  He could see the strange light shining through the crack and could hear something that sounded like his name.  “May Lin vincere bravium!  May Lin vincere bravium!  May Lin vincere bravium!” 

“Um, hello?” said Lin.  “Is someone in there?”  But the voice continued chanting.  Curiosity burning in him, Lin grabbed the handle and open the door the rest of the way.  Inside the boiler room, he saw a man in robes with his back to the door.  In one hand, he held what looked like a paper bound book.  Before the man, was a circle of white powder and candles placed in a pentagram shape around it.  The man continued chanting as Lin looked on.  Finally, he spoke again louder.  “Excuse me?”  The man stopped chanting and spun around, allowing Lin to see his face. 

“Brian?!”  Lin’s agent could only stand with his mouth opening and closing as Lin took a step closer.  “Lin!  Um, what are you doing down here?” 

“What am I doing down here?  What is all this?  What are you dressed like that for?”  Brian reached out to Lin’s shoulder and tried to get him to the door.  “There’s no time to explain, Lin.  Why don’t you just go back to Vanessa and let me finish this.”  Lin pulled away from Brian’s grip.  “Finish what?  What are doing here?”  Brian gave a deep sigh.  “I didn’t want to find out like this, Lin.  But I promise I’m doing it for you.” 

Back in the theatre, Chris Jackson leaned over to Vanessa.  “Best Song is next,” he whispered.  “Where’d Lin go?” 

“I don’t know,” Vanessa replied nervous.  “He just he needed to use the restroom.  He should be back by now.”  The music cued up and Lady Gaga walked onto the stage in a dress made of surgical masks.  She soaked in the applause before turning her attention to the autocue.  “Music has always played an important role in the world of movies.  The following composers and lyricists have created works of art that theater goers will cherish forever.” 

“What do you mean for me?  What have you done?” asked Lin.  “Lin, kid, I need you to calm down for me, okay?” said Brian.  “Do you remember that time at the house?  You told me about your plans for ‘Hamilton’, remember?” 

“What’s that got to do with this?” Lin asked.  “Please let me explain, Lin.  When you were talking about your project, I could see your excitement.  That you had something there.  But there was a part of me that was unsure how the public would respond.  I mean, a musical about the life of Alexander Hamilton?  Told by rap?!  You have to admit it was a gamble.” 

“But it paid off, Brian,” Lin interrupted.  “You saw it happen yourself!  It worked!”  Brian lowered his head than looked at Lin as he held up the book in his hands.  “I know it worked, Lin.  Because I made it happen.” 

Vanessa tightened her grip on her armrests as Lady Gaga ran through the list of nominees.  “Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell for ‘No Time to Die’, “No Time to Die”.  DIXSON and Beyonce Knowles-Carter for ‘Be Alive’, “King Richard”.  And Lin-Manuel Miranda for ‘Dos Oruguitas’, “Encanto”.” 

“I searched for something, anything I could use to give your music the push it needed,” Brian explained.  “And I managed to find somebody who sold me this book.  A book he said had certain… spells… in it.”  Lin looked at the book gave a small laugh.  “Oh.  I get it.  I didn’t know they had the Necronomicon in paper back.” 

“This isn’t a joke, Lin!” Brian snapped.  He quickly collected himself as Lin got more uncomfortable.  “I’m sorry, kid.  I had my doubts at first, too.  But then I used this spell and asked that ‘Hamilton’ be the biggest success ever.  And lo and behold, it was!  The music was everywhere, people loved it!”  Lin shook his head in disbelief.  “Brian, you can’t be serious.” 

“I’m dead serious, Lin,” Brian went on.  “I couldn’t get out of a meeting soon enough to get the ritual set up for your first Oscar nomination, and you lost.  I thought I wouldn’t need to use the spell on the “Heights” movie because the show did so good, and what happened?  Barely made a dent at the box office!”  Lin slowly took a step towards his agent.  “Brian, how about we just go upstairs and back to Vanessa and the others.”  Brian turned back towards the circle.  “I can’t!  The ritual has started!  This the big one, Lin!  Once you win this Oscar and get the EGOT, your name will be in the history books!  Right up there with Rodgers, Brooks, Webber, Rice!  You’ll be a legend in your own time!  You think Disney’s treating you good now?  Think of the projects you’ll be able to do!  The offers you’ll get!  The money I’ll… um…we’ll be able to make!” 

Vanessa could only wave and smile as the cameras switched to where she sat alone next to Lin’s seat.  The audience applauded politely, but a murmur ran through the crowd.  Lady Gaga shrugged and smiled at the camera.  “Wouldn’t it be something if he wins while he’s out on his phone?”  The audience chuckled as Lady Gaga reached for the envelope. 

“Brian,” said Lin.  “I’m grateful for all you’ve done for me.  But I think I’ve heard enough of this.  Let’s get out of here.”  Brian raised his hands above his head, lifting the book high.  “Not until I get this done, Lin.  Trust me.  You’ll thank me for this later.” 

“No, I won’t.  Just get those goofy robes off and give me that book!” 

“No!”  Lin reached up for the book and Brian pulled away.  Lin stretched for it again, only for Brian to catch his arm.  The two men struggled with each other, Lin’s foot knocking over one of the candles, causing the flame to strike the powder circle.  A flash of multicolored light filled the room as Lin and Brian tripped over each other and fell into the circle, the book falling free from Brian’s grip and landing in the middle.  The pages started flipping on their own, before settling on a page where the ink glowed red.   Suddenly there was the sound of thunder and a final burst of light. 

“And the Academy Award goes to…” said Lady Gaga, just before every light in the theater went out.  There were shouts of alarm as from the audience as Vanessa looked around in the darkness.  “Where are you, Lin?” she said softly.  In the control booth, the technical director shouted instructions as the lights slowly flickered back on.  “What the hell was that?  Are we still on the air?” 

“We’re on back up power,” a tech said, looking at his tablet.  “Some kind of power surge.  We’ve got no feed, no wi-fi.  We can’t even get in contact with our cameras.” 

“Well, don’t just stand there!  We’ve got a show to do!  Get us back on the air!” 

Back in the boiler room, Lin and Brian groaned as they regained consciousness.  The circle and candles had disappeared, leaving only the open book behind.  Lin slapped Brian on the arm.  “Are you crazy?  Are you trying to blow up the whole building?!”  Brian crawled over to the book, and looked at the page it had landed on.  “It’s never done that before.  Honest!  We must have screwed something up when we fell in or something.  Hopefully we didn’t set off a different…” Brian’s voice trailed off.  Lin looked on as Brian stared in shock at the page.  “A different what?  What did you do, Brian?” 

“Oh no.  No, no, no, no!”  Brian sprang to his feet and took off running out of the boiler room.  “Brian!  Come back!”  Lin started running after him, leaving the book behind. 

In the theater, Lady Gaga raised her hands to try to calm to the crowd.  “Please, everybody!  Stay in your seats!  Just a little glitch!  Everybody please stay caaaaaaaaaaaalm!”  The crowd fell silent at the sound of Lady Gaga’s singing voice.  The artist herself looked surprised by her own outburst.  “Well, that’s one way to get people’s attention,” said Chris to Vanessa.  Lady Gaga glanced around her in confusion before singing again. 

Lady Gaga: Oh, gentlemen and ladies, I have lost all control! 

I feel a pounding rhythm and a music fills my soul! 

I cannot stop this melody, I would try if knew! 

But now I simply must introduce the reason here to you! 

He’s come from far… away you see. 

Perhaps ano…ther galaxy. 

And he… doesn’t work for free! 

The new star of our show is….

THE MUSIC MEISTEEEEEEEEER!”

A spotlight shone on the stage at a man in a purple tuxedo and hat singing the final line.  He was flanked behind by six similarly dressed men.  The audience sat in their seats enraptured as the Music Meister started to dance with Lady Gaga as he sang. 

The Music Meister: Once I was in Gotham, trying to rob a charity ball! 

But now I find myself here, so I’ll put you in my thrall! 

All I can see are wealthy people.  Won’t be concerned with ‘wheres’ or ‘whys’! 

So I’ll be like all great artists, and start to improviiiiiise!  

Fooor I’m the Music Meisteeer!  And now you can’t break free!” 

Neil Patrick Harris: He’s the Music Meisteeer! 

But why does he sound like me? 

Music Meister: Pass your money, jewels,

And dance, you fools! 

You can’t resist me!  I make all the rules! 

I’m the Music Meisteeer!  And I’m here to settle the scoooore! 

Lin and Brian ran onto the balcony level and looked out over the scene.  The entire audience was dancing and singing as they tossed aside their valuables to the aisles, leaving them to be picked up by the Meister’s henchmen.  “What have you done, Brian?” Lin demanded.  “What was in that book?”    

“It was some kind of summoning spell.  Something about bringing music from across dimensions that would bring chaos.  Or something.”  Lin stared at the stage as Billie Eilish and Reba McIntire joined Lady Gaga in dancing back up for the Meister.  “Well, why aren’t we dancing like everyone else?”  Brian held up his hands and shrugged.  “Maybe because you pushed us into the circle.  Maybe that protected us.  Pretty lucky.”  Lin grabbed Brian by his shoulders furious.  “Lucky?!  This is crazy!  Vanessa’s down there!  We’ve got to do something to stop that guy!”  Brian bit his lip.  “It might not be that easy!” 

Down below, the singing and dancing celebrities continued offering their wealth to the Music Meister’s will. 

Steven Spielberg: I must confess that my distress is starting to get worse! 

Benedict Cumberbatch: How did we get so good at this?  We never did rehearse. 

Will Smith: Just let me get my hands on that purple wearing geek! 

Vanessa Nadal: Oh, where is Lin?  Where has he been?  The future’s looking bleak! 

The Music Meister: I’m the Music Meisteeer!  (He’s the Music Meisteeer!)

And your voices I’ll combiiine! 

I’m the Music Meisteeer!  (He’s the Music Meisteeer!) 

And the world will soon be miiine! 

No need to check the tape! 

There’s no escape! 

Your hearts and minds and souls I will reshape! 

I’m the Music Meisteeer!  And I’m here to settle the…

The sound of tap shoes clattering interrupted the Music Meister.  He glared out at the audience.  “I didn’t instruct anyone to do a tap solo!  Who’s doing that?!”  From out of the wings appeared six figures with abnormally sized heads, directing jazz hands towards the stairwell on the stage.  At the top of the stairwell, was a red skinned creature in a blue suit.  He did another shuffle then slowly made his way down the stairs as he sang. 

Sweet: Well, well looky here. 

Did someone cross a penta…graaam? 

Just one thing is clear. 

One minute I’m in hell, next… here I am! 

Who summoned me, I want to be learning. 

Get down to business and get bodies burning! 

Let’s get partying!  I’m in the mood to jaaam! 

The Music Meister looked insulted at the newcomer. 

The Music Meister: Listen up, you show off!  I know you look bizarre! 

But that simply doesn’t change the fact I don’t know who you are! 

You think that you can upstage me?  You really are a loon! 

I am the greatest singer, and you will dance to the tune, 

Of the Music Meisteeer!  (He’s the Music Meisteeer!) 

I’m the only nominee! 

I’m the Music Meisteeer!  (He’s the Music Meisteeer!) 

And you will bow to me! 

Sweet: Should I be impressed? 

Should I fret and… frooown? 

From the way you’re dressed,

Looking like an average, mortal clooown! 

Sweet’s the guy you shouldn’t be provoking! 

You better than me?  Ha! 

You must be joking! 

If it’s a fight you want, then it’s going dooown! 

Sweet gestured to the crowd and celebrities started breaking away from the Meister’s pawns.  They moved towards the stage and joined Sweet’s song. 

Sweet: I know what you feel! 

Chris Jackson: What I’d give just to live through this crazy dilemma! 

Sweet: I make it real! 

Andrew Garfield: There’s a chance, if we dance! 

Kenneth Branagh: Oh, I’m sorry, sweet Emma! 

Sweet: I’ll take your back ups, tear you asunder! 

It’s 11 o’clock!  It’s your closing number! 

Now, we’re partyin’! 

That’s what it all about! 

As the two sides charged against each other in whirl of dancing and a cacophony of voices, Lin gave a withering look to Brian.  “You are so fired after this is over.” 

OK:

Sweet and the Music Meister each have 6 minions (Demons/Gotham City thugs) who don’t need to be need to be musically controlled. 

They have to take control of everyone in the theater (minus Lin and Brian who are protected by the spell), and then take control of their opponent.    

They can break their opponents control over someone by having one of their pawns render that individual unconscious. 

Game On! 

Why has no one commented on this yet? 🤨 I'm not familiar with Sweet or Music Meister but given that they're from Buffy and Batman: the Brave and the Bold, respectively, they can't be that obscure.

Anyways, great set-up, broadway. Involving Lin-Manuel Miranda and wife (not to mention bringing up that Lin's an Oscar away from EGOT status), involving Neil Patrick Harris (who I just found out is Music Meister's VA, who in turned hypnotizes him) ... you've loaded this thing with easter eggs. Not to mention how funny this is with the back-and-forth with Lin and his agent and the musical duel between Sweet and Music Meister themselves. :D 

As for the match, from a glance I'm inclined to believe that Sweet would have more powerful control over victims than Music Meister, so he'd probably win this head-to-head. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DSkillz said:

Why has no one commented on this yet? 🤨 I'm not familiar with Sweet or Music Meister but given that they're from Buffy and Batman: the Brave and the Bold, respectively, they can't be that obscure.

Anyways, great set-up, broadway. Involving Lin-Manuel Miranda and wife (not to mention bringing up that Lin's an Oscar away from EGOT status), involving Neil Patrick Harris (who I just found out is Music Meister's VA, who in turned hypnotizes him) ... you've loaded this thing with easter eggs. Not to mention how funny this is with the back-and-forth with Lin and his agent and the musical duel between Sweet and Music Meister themselves. :D 

As for the match, from a glance I'm inclined to believe that Sweet would have more powerful control over victims than Music Meister, so he'd probably win this head-to-head. 

Funny huh? I've never watched Buffy and I don't remember the Music Meister episode (must have seen it though). I was waiting for comments to so I guess I'll go with Sweet because DSkillz gave a bit of a reason.

• Like 1

THE BOTTOM LINE

Lin and Brian peeked over the edge of the balcony to witness the insanity below.  Hollywood’s finest were engaged in a struggle that was one part bar room brawl and one part Broadway musical.  The Music Meister had managed to take control of several “West Side Story” cast members, who were trying to contain Simu Liu.  The “Shang Chi” actor dived and dodged past their strikes and delivered kicks to his finger snapping assailants.  Samuel Jackson and Uma Thurman danced a tango as they tripped up Jennifer Lawrence and Bill Murray.  Meanwhile, Venus and Serena Williams had got in a “Single Ladies” formation behind Beyonce as they fought Penelope Cruz, Kristin Stewart, and Nicole Kidman and Billie Eilish and Lady Gaga brawled on the stage. 

All in all, it had become a rather bizarre evening. 

“We’ve got to stop this!”  said Lin.  “Someone’s going to get killed if this keeps up!”  Brian wiped the sweat from his brow.  “But how?  Those two guys have got everybody going nuts.”  Lin grabbed Brian by the shoulder.  “We need to get back to the boiler room.  There’s got to be another spell to reverse this thing!  We just need to get the book!”  Brian coughed and pointed towards the stage nervously.  “Umm, that book?”  Lin looked where Brian pointed and his blood ran cold.  On the stage, standing behind Sweet, was Vanessa guarded by three of his demons.  And she was clutching the book to her chest.  “That demon thing must have had one of those weird puppet guys snag the book,” Brian moaned.  “There’s no way we can get past this crowd to get to it.”  Lin looked out at his wife, her lips singing along with the clashing melodies.  A determined look came over Lin’s face.  “I’m going to save Vanessa,” he said, pulling Brian back down behind the balcony wall.  “And you’re going to make this right, Brian, if it’s the last thing you do!  Now, listen.  I need you to get to the control room.  This is what we’re gonna do.” 

The Music Meister looked nervously around the theater.  He had controlled half the theater, but now his forces had been depleted.  He could feel each celebrity he controlled slip from his grasp as they were knocked out by Sweet’s army, only to be revived and dance to the demon’s tune.  Chris Rock was being double teamed by Will and Jada Pinkett Smith,  Tony Hawk was doing backflips over Kelly Slater, and Wesley Snipes was getting overpowered by Jason Momoa.  Sweet put his arm around Vanessa as he smirked across the stage at the Meister.  “Face it, buddy.  You’ve lost.”  The Meister started to shake as he pointed at the demon. 

Music Meister: You think you’ve won! 

But I’m not done! 

My victory’s still in view! 

My hired hands,

I now command,

To take the fight to you! 

The Music Meister sings the song the world wants to hear! 

Stand and fight and hear the song,

Of your hypnotic profiteer! 

The Mu…

The Music Meister’s voice fell silent as he looked at the audience in horror.  His six minions were not singing with him.  They were now dancing to Sweet’s music.  The Meister spun to face Sweet who shrugged and started to snap his fingers.  “About time to wrap this thing up.”  His face still frozen in fear, the Music Meister slowly started swaying and dancing to Sweet’s song, keeping time with his snaps.  Sweet started snapping faster and faster, causing the Meister and his minions to dance even more quickly.  Smoke started to rise from their bodies as they cried out in exertion.  Sweet snapped his fingers one last time, and all seven men burst into flames. 

Sweet chuckled as they screamed in agony before their immolated bodies collapsed to the ground.  Sweet turned his attention to Vanessa, the rest of the theater now still as the entire audience stood motionless in his power.  Sweet brushed her cheek with the back of his hand.  She flinched and closed her eyes but couldn’t move away as Sweet sang. 

Sweet: Well, I must confess,

That truly was a… blaaast! 

Said he was the best,

But that guy was… just outclaaassed! 

I could probably burn down this city,

Torch all of you!  The lights would be pretty! 

Let’s get partyin’!  Time to breathe your laaast! 

“HEY!”  Sweet turned to the crowd and saw Lin-Manuel Miranda in aisle with a mic in his hand.  Lin’s face was taut with determination.  “This party ends now!”  The crowd of mind-controlled celebrities took a lunged towards Lin only for Sweet to raise his hand.  “Hold it, people. Take five.”  The celebrities took a step back and Sweet gave a toothy grin to Lin as he put his arm around Vanessa’s shoulders.  “Now this is something.  You’re fighting me.  Well, to be fair I was distracted.  Why don’t you get with the chorus with the rest of them?”  Lin could hear the echoes of a song start playing in his head.  He closed his eyes and groaned in pain, then looked up defiantly at Sweet.  “Sorry, not really in the mood for singing right now.”  Sweet glanced back at Vanessa and smirked.  “Oh, I get it now.  This is your girl, isn’t it?  I admire your guts.  Not that it’ll do you or her any good.” 

“You are going to let my wife go,” said Lin firmly.  “Set everyone free and set everything back the way it was.”  Sweet’s grin grew savage as he stepped to edge of the stage to get in Lin’s face.  “And just how the hell are you going to make me do that, mortal?  Do you have any idea what I’m capable of?” 

Lin took a step back from Sweet, not breaking eye contact.  “I know you think you can get your way.  I know you expect us to dance to the music you play.  And I know that’s all going to chance today.  Brian!”  Brian’s nervous voice rang out over the PA system from the control room.  “Ready, Lin!”

“Good.  Cuz I’ve got somethin’ to say!” 

A rap beat started playing over the PA.  Sweet looked around in confusion as Lin lifted the mic to his lips. 

Lin: You thinkin’ you got some Master Plan. 

Think I got nothin’ but sweat inside my hands. 

You beat a guy dressed purple?  Reign in your pride. 

It’ll take 7 seconds to Kiss it goodbye. 

Come on Let’s Go Crazy if you want to get nuts. 

Bring you down like the elevator doors as it shuts. 

Why the Prince scheme, you thinkin’?  Well, I will repeat. 

I only think of Cream when I hear the name Sweet! 

Will I beat you in a minute or two, Sweet? 

Or do it French, like, “Tout Suite!”

You can leave now if you want to, Sweet. 

When the bars click it’ll be “Too Sweet!”   

So you say you’re a demon, and you think you’re hard. 

Well, Broadway’s my home, Hollywood’s my yard. 

Long as I have a beat, I will never quit. 

Don’t quote me, Sweet, I ain’t said nuthin’ yet! 

Sweet had perplexed look on his face as he watched Lin continue rapping.  But he could see the effect his words were having on the crowd.  He saw the celebrities under his control slowly starting to sway to Lin’s rap.  Sean Combs and Megan Thee Stallion broke ranks with the crowd, as the other cast members of “Encanto” moved in behind Lin. 

Lin: I rep my island, Puerto Rico, like a boss! 

I’m the one rapper no one wants to cross! 

So I hope you are ready to take this loss! 

Cuz Sweet’ll be sour when I bring the sauce! 

Vanessa, you’re my girl!  Still leaving me breathless! 

Remember those times I was broke and making breakfast? 

I know you’re in there!  Don’t give up the fight! 

Cuz you are going back home with me tonight! 

I can do Sweet like Sweeney with a blade to his throat! 

Or Sound off on his Music, let him know I’m the GOAT! 

I could Weird Al his act, make him laugh at the parody. 

But I didn’t come here tonight to give Sweet Charity! 

I might pull a gun on ‘em.  I’m not playing around. 

He hear the “Ch”? I go, “It’s my kind of town.” 

Give all your songs a rest, cuz they only bore me. 

Or you’re laid out on the curb like a West Side Story. 

Vanessa’s fingers started tapping on the cover of the book.  Sweet glared down on Lin.  “So, you think you got some style?  You might be able to swipe a couple of people from me, but you ain’t getting rid of me that easy.”  Lin caught his breath and looked past Sweet with a smile. 

Lin: I’m here put an end to all your crew. 

I can make people dance to my music too. 

So what I don’t get an Oscar?  I know I got my fam. 

The only Oscar you’ll get is out of a trash can. 

All I need is the thing that your cronies took. 

I can finish all this once I have that book. 

And if you think I can’t get it?  Then you must be wack, son. 

I don’t believe in demons, I believe in Chris Jackson! 

Sweet turned to see what Lin was looking at.  A fist struck him right between the eyes and sent him sprawling backward.  The fist belonged to Chris Jackson, who clutched his hand in pain.  “You could have told me how hard this guy’s head was!” he shouted to Lin.  But Lin was focused on Vanessa.  The demonic henchmen left her side to check on Sweet, and she was shaking her head as if waking up from a deep slumber.  “Vanessa!” Lin yelled.  Sweet pushed the demons aside as he struggled to get up.  “Get the girl!” Vanessa’s eyes suddenly focused.  He glanced down at the book then back to Lin.  “Lin!  Take it!”  She tossed the book off the stage, and Lin lunged forward to catch it.  The rap beat stopped playing and the celebrities went back to being motionless.  The demons started leaping off the stage toward Lin, who held the book up above his head.  “Back up!” Lin shouted.  “Anyone takes a step towards me and I tear this book apart!”  The demons froze and Sweet nimbly jumped in front of them.  Chris hurried to Vanessa’s side as she collapsed to the stage.  “And just what good do you think that’ll do, Lin?” Sweet asked.  “This book brought you here.  The spells are the reason this madness happened,” Lin said determinedly.  “Maybe that’s the way you all go back where you came from.  Or you can just leave now, and never come back!” 

“Now take it easy, Lin!” Lin looked behind him as Brian pushed his way past the crowd to join him.  “Just give me the book!  I know the spell that we activated!  I can reverse and then we can keep using the success spell!”  Sweet started laughing, and his henchmen followed suit.  Lin looked confused.  “What’s so funny?” 

“Lin, baby, you’ve barely scratched the surface of what that book can do!  I don’t know what this guy has been telling you, but the spells in that book haven’t seen the light of day in, oh, I’d say about a hundred years or so.” 

“But that’s not true!” Brian argued.  “I’ve been using them for years now!” 

“Oh, really?” said Sweet condescendingly.  “Did you do the spell right?  Did you make the circle?  Put the candles in the right shape?  Get the blood of a sacrificed virgin?”  Brian started scratching his head uncomfortably.  “Um, yeah.  I might have used some pig blood instead.  I didn’t think it was a big deal!  When the accolades kept coming in…” 

“Hold on!” Lin interrupted.  “You mean that my wins were legit?  It wasn’t from this book?”  Sweet shook his head.  “But you could have a whole lot more success.  Just hand the book to me, and I’ll unlock all it’s mysteries for you.” 

“Don’t listen to him, Lin!” Brian begged.  “Now that I know how I messed up, we can do it right now!”  Lin looked back and forth between the demon and the agent.  He gazed up at the stage where Vanessa was still passed out.  He turned his attention back to Sweet and Brian.  “You both want this book so bad?  Fine.  Let’s share!”  Lin raised the book back above his head.  Sweet and Brian lunged for him. 

“STOP!” 

“LIN!  NO!” 

But it was too late.  With a mighty tear, Lin ripped the book down it’s spine.  The book began to spark and glow with the same light as before, enveloping the entire theater. 

“Music has always played an important role in the world of movies.  The following composers and lyricists have created works of art that theater goers will cherish forever.” 

Lin found himself sitting back in his chair in the theater.  Everyone in the audience was back in their seats and looking on as Jake Gyllenhaal and Zoe Kravitz presented their award on stage.  Lin looked behind him to see Brian sat a few rows back.  He smiled and waved at Lin, crossing his fingers.  Lin felt a familiar touch on his arm.  He turned to see Vanessa and Chris sitting next to him.  “Well, I guess this is it,” Vanessa said.  Lin was speechless for a moment, then gave Vanessa a hug.  “Vanessa!  Vanessa, you’re okay!” he said in between kisses.  Vanessa laughed as she gently pushed Lin back.  “Lin!  What’s gotten into you?” 

“I’m sorry.  It’s… it’s impossible to explain.  I’m just so glad you’re here right now.  And I love you so much.”  Vanessa smiled and shook her head.  “And I love you too, Lin.”  The couple started kissing again as the presenters went on with their introductions.  “Billie Eilish and Finneas O’Connell for ‘No Time to Die’, “No Time to Die”.  DIXSON and Beyonce Knowles-Carter for ‘Be Alive’, “King Richard”.  And Lin-Manuel Miranda for ‘Dos Origuitas’, “Encanto”.”  Chris nudged Vanessa as the cameras panned to them.  “Um, guys?”  The crowd starting laughing and cheering as the big screen showed Lin and Vanessa embracing.  They looked up at the screen then back at the crowd.  Lin laughed nervously as he acknowledged the audience and Zoe Kravitz grinned down from the podium.  “Hope we’re not interrupting anything, Lin?”  Lin smiled and shook his head.  “Well, in that case,” Jake Gyllenhaal said holding up the envelope.  “Let’s get back to the show!”  Vanessa held Lin’s hand tight.  “Just remember,” she whispered.  “You will always have my love.  No matter what.”  Lin put his free hand over Vanessa’s.  “No matter what.” 

“And the Academy Award goes to…” 

“Come on!  I want to see the rest of the show!”  The bouncer walked the woman towards the back door of the bar by the arm.  “Listen, lady.  For you, show’s over!  You’ve been hogging that TV all night.  I’ve got people who want to see the game!  Not a bunch of celebrities in suits thanking each other!” 

The woman struggled to free herself.  “But I’m a celebrity too!” she slurred.  “I’m a singer!  Back in 2011 I was bigger than all those sell outs!” 

“Yeah, yeah.  And I was a stunt double for Robert Downey Jr.  Out you go!” 

The woman flew unceremoniously out the back door and into an alley.  She clattered into a row of garbage cans as the bouncer closed the door behind her.  “You can’t do this to me!” she screeched waving her fist.  “I’m a star!  I can make another hit anytime I want to!”  The woman slowly got to her feet, brushed off her jeans, and was about to leave the alley when something caught her eye.  Sitting on top of a pile of trash, was a white, paperback book.  It looked so clean and out of place in the alley, that the woman reached out and picked it up.  She flipped through the book and settled on a page.  “The following spell will make one adored by all mortals.  One must first take the blood of a sacrificed virgin…” 

“Hey, Rebecca!” Rebecca turned and saw another woman in her early 20s hurrying into the alley, stepping carefully so no garbage got on her designer clothes.  “There you are!  We’ve been looking all over town for you!  I thought we were going to watch the Oscars at your place, but you weren’t there!” 

Rebecca slipped the book in her back pocket.  “Oh, right, sorry, Blair.  It just slipped my mind.”  Blair took Rebecca’s hand and helped her step over a fallen trash can.  “Well, let’s get you home.  The other’s are waiting in the car.  Do you want to sit in the front seat or the back seat?”  Rebecca said nothing as they exited the alley.  Her mind was thinking on the book she found.  It might take the rest of the week to understand what it all meant, but when she did?  She had a feeling she would definitely be looking forward to the weekend. 

• Like 1