MATCH SCORE
Waspinator: 3
Grumble Bee: 2

Match 18061 Guile vs. Cassandra Alexander

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART 184

athenarose.jpg.d17b3b9cd4de6a1bdbb0e273985c66a4.jpg

The fortune teller, Rose, desperately tried to think of a safe space to go as she fled the Soul Edge charged explosion where Dhalsim remained to try and subdue a malfested, angry Mai Shiranui. (REF: MAI SHIRANUI VS. DHALSIM). Using her teleportation powers, Rose was able to snatch up Guy, Ryo Sakazaki, and Maki Genryusai from the battleground, but remained unsure of where to take her fallen allies. Rose immediately ruled out the local hospital where they had taken Terry Bogard. The hospital, itself, had proven to be a chaotic battleground, with fights (REF: DHALSIM VS. RYUJI YAMAZAKI) breaking out (REF: SHIKI VS. YANG) all over the facility. (REF: CHUN-LI VS. RACHEL)

Fortunately for Rose, at that moment fate smiled upon her. She was contacted telepathically by one of her first new allies when this adventure began, the Psycho Soldier, Athena Asamiya. (REF: BENIMARU NIKAIDO VS. Z.W.E.I.)

“Rose, I hope you are doing well. I apologize if you had tried to reach out to me recently. I have been on the mend due to being beaten in a fight,” stated Athena.

“Did you have another battle with a warrior from the past?” asked Rose. (REF: ATHENA ASAMIYA VS. CHAI XIANGHUA)

“No. The girl that fought and defeated me had no relation to Soul Edge at all. (REF: IBUKI VS. ATHENA ASAMIYA) I’m a little disappointed in myself,” Athena admitted.

“What of your mission overall?” Rose inquired.

“After we failed to seal the warriors from the past, (REF: CHIZURU KAGURA VS. KAZUMI MISHIMA) we regrouped and tried to add more to our ranks. We initially were intent on recruiting Kyo’s friend, Goro Daimon, but we ended up with a different set of really strong fighters. (REF: TERRY BOGARD VS. KAZUYA MISHIMA) Although at this point we seem to be recruiting and losing allies at the same time due to the corrupting power of Soul Edge,” Athena lamented. (REF: HITOMI VS. KEN MASTERS)

“I know exactly what you mean,” Rose said knowingly. “It feels like my recruitment of more heroes to prevent the chaos has only added to it.” (REF: MAKI GENRYUSAI VS. MAI SHIRANUI)

“We did run into Ryu,” Athena informed. “That is one of the bigger fighters you were seeking isn’t it?”

“Ryu is with you?”

“Yes, well, he was. Honoka just told me he went on some rushed mission with Kyo. (REF: RYU VS. OROCHI) Hopefully, he will be back soon. Honoka wasn’t very specific, so I’ll ask for more details as soon as she comes back with our newest teammate, Eliot. (REF: HONOKA VS. IBUKI) It should be any minute. This place is big, but not that big. Really, it has been our greatest achievement so far that we have a base of operations now, the Kanzuki Estate. Wish I had better news, Rose.”

Rose smiled broadly. “Oh Athena, that is wonderful news, and something I am in desperate need of. I have some fallen friends and nowhere to take them.”

“We have the room, and the amenities here are really nice,” Athena reported with joy. “Karin must be accustomed to having her people treat injured fighters.”

“I will see you soon,” Rose promised.

“Great.” Athena’s tone changed slightly. “Rose, what is the plan after that?”

“We regroup with the rest of my team and locate the sword I saw in a shared vision. (REF: KILIK VS. ASH CRIMSON) At this point it may be our only hope,” Rose informed.

—--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

201502062_familyman.jpg.425114a9a4d09011555f5c88470a983e.jpg

Guile arrived in Mexico on a DOATEC helicopter commissioned for him by Helena Douglas. Once there he reviewed the intel on Cassandra Alexandra he had received from Heidern and rushed to the port to try and catch her before any potential departure. (REF: GUILE VS. KING) He found the warrior from the Ottoman Empire sitting in an empty boathouse next to her Omega sword and Nemea shield.

Without standing up or even turning to face him, she asked, “Are you with those other military men who have been watching me since I arrived in this port?”

“Not exactly,” Guile responded. “But I am developing a working relationship with their boss.”

“Ah yes, that general from that forsaken village. The one with the eyepatch?” (REF: KING VS. HAKAN

“That is correct,” Guile confirmed.

Cassandra stood up to face Guile with sword and shield in hand. “And what is your name?”

“Major Guile. One of my closest friends almost died in that village.” (REF: LARS ALEXANDERSSON VS. LEONA HEIDERN)

"A lot of chaotic violence happened there, I am sorry for your friend," stated Cassandra.

“I actually just recently met your sister, Sophitia. She saved me from my malfestation by Soul Edge,” Guile explained.

A half smile appeared on Cassandra’s face. “Saving people is what she does best.”

“Yeah she’s amazing. She talked to me a lot about you to help me remain calm and focused when I was coming out of my darkness,” Guile gushed. “When I heard you were here, I had to come and find you myself so that I could bring you in, reunite with Sophitia, and we all could take down this thing once and for all.”

“It is a sweet gesture. The answer is no,” Cassandra responded flatly.

“Excuse me?”

“I’m not sure what Sophitia told you about me, but what she should have told you was that I was wrong and she was right,” stated Cassandra.

“I don’t understand.”

“Sophitia always understood that defeating Soul Edge was her mission, her duty, and it was wrong to put that burden on others. Until recently, I had always argued with her that asking others for help was not only the right thing to do but necessary to win,” Cassandra detailed. “Sophitia was right.”

“Pardon, but I still don’t follow,” Guile admitted.

“I’m sure your heart is in the right place, but your involvement in this quest is no longer needed or wanted,” said Cassandra. “I already had one ally from your time period. It did not go well. (REF: BLUE MARY VS. MILA) Even now, I feel horrible. I have to abandon her here which is not something I am want to do.”

“Blue Mary informed me about fighting the woman that was with you. No judgment against her, I don’t believe she was in her element in this world she had stumbled into. I am. I am prepared to battle the threat head on,” Guile declared.

“Are you?” Cassandra questioned. “You have already admitted to being malfested once. (REF: LEI WULONG VS. GUILE) Would you have the spirit, the heart, to resist Soul Edge’s temptation a second time? Even if you weren’t defeated as easily as Mila, we would still have to worry about you turning on us. Sophitia and I can’t afford that kind of distraction.”

“Now that I have seen and felt it, I can recognize and resist it,” Guile insisted.

“You may believe that, but it is much more difficult than you realize. It’s not just overwhelming for the uninitiated like yourself. It appears that Soul Edge is gaining influence and power by the minute, to the point that even warriors who have understood and battled its presence for centuries are succumbing to its allure,” Cassandra informed. “Before you showed up here, I had to battle and put down a friend I have known for a very long time, one of the fiercest warriors I had ever met, because she had let the Soul Edge shards inside her poison her heart.  (REF: CASSANDRA VS. DARLI DAGGER) And it’s not just her. Hilde was defeated in battle. Maxi was defeated and kidnapped. Ivy disappeared,” Cassandra recounted.

“Even when things are at their bleakest, you can’t give up hope. You have to keep the faith that…”

Cassandra interrupted. “I do have faith! Faith In myself, and in my sister. We have trained for this all our lives, we were molded for this, and we alone shall put an end to it!”

Guile was taken aback. “You are definitely not what I had pictured in my head from your sister’s stories.”

“Families are very precious things,” Cassandra observed. “Do you have family, Major Guile?”

“Yes m’am. A wife and daughter,” Guile responded.

“Do me a favor, go home and be a family man for a while. Treasure your time together,” Cassandra requested. “If Sophitia and I fail, there will be plenty more time for war.” 

“If there is a good fight that needs to be fought, I can’t in good conscience sit it out. It is not who I am,” Guile declared.

“You don’t know where Soul Edge is. I do. I am sure it is where my sister is heading toward right now because she realizes as I now do that the time we had feared is upon us,” Cassandra proclaimed.

Guile did not respond, his expression was a mix of disbelief and disappointment.

“Still, I know better than to underestimate the ability of modern heroes to eventually locate Soul Edge. So, if I can’t dissuade you from this course by my words then I will have to achieve it through battle,” Cassandra decided.

“What?”

“I much rather face you here and now and prove to you that you are not ready than later when you have been enslaved by the Evil Seed once more,” Cassandra reasoned.

“No, I don’t want to do this. This is a mistake,” Guile insisted. “It’s a bad idea.”

“Sometimes those are the only options left.”

The first 5th Round Match!

On one side, Cassandra has smashed through several SNK fighters, having defeated Vice, Kula Diamond, Blue Mary, and Darli Dagger.

On the other side, this will be Guile's first match against someone from a franchise other than Tekken after having beaten Sergei Dragunov, Lei Wulong, Marshall Law, and King.

• Like 1

The shit is winding down!

I love how you capture the fighting game tone. Really enjoyable.

I like the setup, the scenario feels natural to the story. I've never been a huge fan of Guile so I'm pulling for Cass.

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - patrickthekid
4.90 - leroypowell3
4.00 - SSJRuss

FPA Calculation:
3 Total Votes cast
13.90 Total Combined Score
13.90 / 3 = 4.63 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Guile: 2
Cassandra Alexander: 1

Heh, Cassandra actually used one of Guile's own quotes on him. 

Another good set-up, Johnny. It's good to see you're not forgetting characters in this arc. Sorry I missed voting and rating on it, though, but at the same time I wouldn't have initially known who should've won here.