MATCH SCORE
Forge: 1
Cable: 8

Match 14991 Chizuru Kagura vs. Kazumi Mishima

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART LXI

394370572_maxresdefault(1).thumb.jpg.97aa8be0674db4f7fc06d1d75ba77194.jpg

In a forest clearing in rural Japan, two fights were nearing their conclusion. Kasumi gathered her remaining energy and funneled it  into a Torn Sky Blast aimed directly at Taki. The blast was too much for the Fu Ma ninja, and Taki could no longer continue the fight. (REF: TAKI VS. KASUMI)  Likewise, Seong Mi-Na also failed to overcome her adversary, the Dragon Shrine maiden, Momiji, and laid unconscious at her opponent’s feet. (REF: SEONG MI-NA VS. MOMIJI)

Momiji twirled her naginata in the air and called out to her friend. “Nicely done, Kasumi.”

Kasumi stopped for a moment to put her hand over her chest and catch her breath. Then she smiled.  “You as well, lady Momiji.”

After composing herself, Kasumi glanced around the clearing looking for Maki Genryusai and Ryo Sakazaki. “Where did the other two run off to? Where did they go?” (REF: LUONG VS. JURI HAN)

“Perhaps she carried him off to meet up with their other friends,” Momiji guessed.

“It’s possible. But. I feel bad because we told Master Ryu that we would protect them,” said Kasumi.

“Speaking of, where is Master Ryu? Last time I saw him he was still standing next to you right before the fight started,” Momiji noted.

“He said something about sensing him nearby,” Kasumi rermarked.

“Him? Who is him?” asked Momiji.

Kasumi shrugged. 

The trees rustled nearby and Athena Asamiya stepped into the clearing with Chai Xianghua over her shoulder. Kasumi and Momiji took one look at the school girl dressed, Psycho Soldier, and stepped into their fighting stances. Athena’s eyes darted around the location until she recognized the unconscious bodies of Taki and Seong Mi-Na.

“What’s going on?” asked Athena. “Are you not with them?”

“We are not. We are here to protect those that are trying to seal up their allies,” Kasumi announced.

Athena beamed with excitement. “So you are here to help us? That is fantastic news. Have you seen Kyo, Chizuru, and the others? Where did they go?”

“Master Ryu said something about them going to an old bunker nearby,” stated Momiji.

“Who is that that you are carrying on your shoulder?” asked Kasumi.

Athena put down Xianghua off her shoulder and leaned her against a broken tree trunk. “She is another one of the ancient warriors that we have been fighting. The ones who took in fragments of the evil sword.  (REF: ROSE VS. VIOLA)  She was the one that originally interrupted Chizuru and Kyo’s ritual along with the two women that you have defeated,” Athena explained. “If you got the chance to meet Ryo, that was their handiwork.”  (REF: ATHENA ASAMIYA VS. CHAI XIANGHUA)

Kasumi and Momiji exchanged glances.

“That must have been the fighter in the red gi,” Momiji assumed.

“That is correct,” said Athena. She paused for a moment. “Would you two be willing to help me bring these three to my friends? We can add all of them to the ritual so more fragments can be sealed.”

Momiji answered first. “That sounds like the right thing to do, but I must admit I am concerned about where Master Ryu went. Whom did he confront?”

“As am I,” Kasumi added.

“If you believe he didn’t venture off too far, I can help you find him. Then we can all we rejoin my friends together,” Athena suggested.

The three women all nodded in agreement.

“When we find him I do want to ask about this bunker you mentioned,” said Athena.  “I don’t remember seeing any bunkers when we traveled here. Unless Chizuru meant… no I don’t believe they would go there.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3582735100.jpg.a28b7260c4bb19cf334f56442a88d12d.jpg

At the end of the forest, Chizuru, Kyo, and Benimaru walked up to a stone entrance tired from their journey, but inspired by the fact that they had reached their destination.

“Here it is,” Chizuru proclaimed.

“Finally,” said Ryo. He repositioned Z.W.E.I. on his shoulder. “This guy is heavier than he looks.”

“At least you didn’t have to fight him. That wolf ghost pet of his was something else,” Benimaru remarked.  (REF:BENIMARU NIKAIDO VS. Z.W.E.I.

“That’s right, you are the one that beat him. You should be the one carrying him.” Kyo pointed at the young wind priestess, Talim, draped across Benimaru’s shoulder. “And yet somehow you ended up with the lightest load here.”

Chizuru scolded her companions. “That’s enough, you two. It doesn’t matter now. We are here.”

Chizuru carried the body of the fortune teller, Viola, past the entrance and down a flight of stone steps. Kyo and Benimaru followed behind her.

“Seems a little narrow for a war bunker,” said Ryo.

“Have you been in many war bunkers, Ryo?” Chizuru inquired.

“No.”

The trio walked through an underground stone hallway until they came up to another set of stairs going back up. Chizuru hesitated with some confusion before deciding to ascend up the stairs. The stairs led up to a garden marked with graves surrounding two buildings.

Ryo took in his new environment. “That wasn’t a war bunker, it was an entrance to a…” 

“Mausoleum,” stated Chizuru. 

3802_02.jpg.45739e6fb1a3f4fc095774cb83abb2c0.jpg

Soft, incoherent murmurings from Viola refocused Chizuru on the mission. “We must hurry.”

“Do you really think it is a good idea to do this here?” Benimaru wondered.

“We don’t have a choice. These three won’t be under for much longer so we will take what we can get. It will be fine,” Chizuru assured.

Viola, Talim, and Z.W.E.I. were placed down together. Chizuru and Ryo set up for the sealing ritual just as they had done before with Orochi and in the hut before being attacked by Taki and Seong Mi-Na. Chizuru pulled out the Yata Mirror.

A chill ran down Benimaru’s spine as he walked through the gravestones. He had a bad feeling about this place. He stopped at the entrance of the mausoleum. There was a word engraved on the door, but it was covered by leaves. Benimaru wiped away the leaves and his mouth dropped.

“Mishima!?!” Benimaru quickly turned to his friends. “You guys I don’t think this is just any old mausoleum.”

They could not hear him as they had already begun their incantations. A violent wind engulfed Chizuru and Kyo. The Soul Edge fragments within the bodies of Talim, Viola, and Z.W.E.I. radiated with an orange glow beneath their skin. Orange chaotic energy emerged from their bodies. A white light shot out of the Yata mirror and crashed into the chaotic energy. The resulting beam of mixed energies streaked through the air and crashed through the window of the mausoleum. Benimaru did not even have time to react before the mausoleum door exploded and sent him tumbling backward. The mausoleum went ablaze.

The ritual came to a sudden halt as Chizuru took note of the destruction around them. Kyo’s eyes went directly to his friend on the ground writhing in pain.

“Benimaru!” he shouted.

Kyo ran to the aid of his friend and Chizuru went to help as well before she was stopped in her tracks by the sight of a figure emerging from the flames of the mausoleum entrance. A beautiful woman with black hair and a white kimono descended the steps. Chizuru immediately sensed the Devil Gene within this woman and gritted her teeth.

“By what magic have I been brought back?” asked Kazumi.

Chizuru glared at her in response.

“I guess it does not matter. The important thing is I have been given another chance to stop Heihachi and possibly my son as well. I must not squander this opportunity,” said Kazumi. 

“I don’t know who you are, but there's evil within you. I can feel it,” Chizuru declared.

“It is a necessary thing to accomplish my mission, but you need not fear it,” stated Kazumi. “Unless you plan to get in my way.”

“What is going on here?” Kyo demanded.

“Benimaru, are you able to walk?” Chizuru asked without taking her eyes off of Kazumi.

“A little nicked up, but I should be okay,” Benimaru replied.

“Good. You and Kyo get those warriors and complete the mission. Find Athena, you may need to locate Iori as well if I fall herel. I will join you if I can, but I must clean up my mess,” said Chizuru.

“Your mess?” Kazumi wondered.

“Yes. It was my hubris that brought you back here. I am not sure why a ritual designed to seal evil would bring it back instead, but there are still many things we don’t know about Soul Edge,” stated Chizuru.

“But, I am not evil,” insisted Kazumi.

“Chizuru, I was trying to tell you before,” said Benimaru. “This entire area belongs to the Mishima family. That would mean she is probably related to Heihachi and Kazuya Mishima,” 

“Kazuya Mishima! Then what I am sensing must be the Devil Gene,” Chizuru deduced.

“You are quite the informed woman,” Kazumi remarked.

“I have heard many stories, none of them good. Which is why I cannot let you leave this place!” Chizuru said emphatically.

Kazumi sighed. The fire from the mausoleum started to spread around the garden.

“Are you sure you don’t want my help?” Kyo asked.

“No, You need to get out of here. There is too much at stake and the mission hasn’t changed,” Chizuru replied.

Kazumi lifted her arms to fight. “Then shall we begin.”

So based on seeing another Soul Calibur character come up short in a recent fight I did, in combination with my own curiosity, and the fact that I'm a bit of a stat nerd, I decided to see how all the games that I'm using for this arc have stacked up so far. The results are astonishingly pretty even at this point with a few exceptions which is amazing because "competitive balance" was never something I was aiming for just as much representation as I could.

TEKKEN
Characters Used: 31
Winners: 14
Losers: 14
Ongoing: 3

KING OF FIGHTERS
Characters Used: 28
Losers: 12
Ongoing: 2

STREET FIGHTER
Characters Used: 26
Winners: 13
Losers: 11

SOUL CALIBUR
Characters Used: 15
Winners: 4

DEAD OR ALIVE
Characters Used: 13
Winners: 9
Losers: 3
Ongoing: 1

VIRTUA FIGHTER
Characters Used: 9
Winners: 3
Losers: 6

16 hours ago, JohnnyChany said:

So based on seeing another Soul Calibur character come up short in a recent fight I did, in combination with my own curiosity, and the fact that I'm a bit of a stat nerd, I decided to see how all the games that I'm using for this arc have stacked up so far. The results are astonishingly pretty even at this point with a few exceptions which is amazing because "competitive balance" was never something I was aiming for just as much representation as I could.

TEKKEN
Characters Used: 31
Losers: 14
Ongoing: 3

KING OF FIGHTERS
Characters Used: 28
Losers: 12

STREET FIGHTER
Characters Used: 26
Winners: 13

SOUL CALIBUR
Characters Used: 15
Winners: 4

DEAD OR ALIVE
Characters Used: 13
Winners: 9
Losers: 3
Ongoing: 1

VIRTUA FIGHTER
Characters Used: 9
Winners: 3
Losers: 6

Wow, who would have thought DOA would have the better win-lose ratio. That's tight.

Funny though that the story is about Soul Edge and the Soul Caliber characters are getting whipped. They can't even rep their own franchise. Sad.

This should be a cool fight. I don't know Chizuru that well but I know Kazumi is a straight powerhouse. Her combos take massive chunks of your life-bar if you're not careful. She gets my vote unless I'm convinced otherwise.

I am going to go with Kazumi Mishima here, seeing as how she gave Heihachi so much of a fight that he deemed her far too dangerous to live. Chizuru is quite skilled, but her real abilities lie in making illusions, however I really do not see this as something which Kazumi would have too much difficulty with mostly due to the power which she wields. Chizuru puts up a fight, initially but then realizes that fighting someone like Kazumi is fighting someone on a whole other level. I mean sure, she's faced Orochi but she's only done so with the aid of Kyo Kusanagi and Iori Yagami.

1 minute ago, patrickthekid said:

Don't underestimate Chizuru though. As one of the three Sacred Treasures, she's on par with Kyo and Iori, two of the most powerful characters in the KOF world. That and she has access to Sealing abilities which would limit a character's abilities for a moment.

She might not be as powerful as she used to be, primarily because Ash Crimson stole her artifact which was her source of power, and she suffered what might have been a permanent injury-- so she doesn't really participate in fights anymore because of those contributing factors.