General Kregg: 2
Stripe: 0
Brigade: 1

Match 17997 Mai Shiranui vs. Dhalsim

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART 176

1830854955_ChunandRose.jpg.6565a2bbe6838ab07160d74b42d27e57.jpg

Inside the hospital where they had taken Terry Bogard for medical treatment, Dhalsim was engaged in an intense extending limbs battle with the psychotic yakuza enforcer, Ryuji Yamazaki. (REF: DHALSIM VS. RYUJI YAMAZAKI) After using their outstretched arms to fight each other at a distance, Ryuji attempted to get closer and slash at the Indian fighter with his knife. Dhalsim swiftly grabbed Yamazaki’s knife hand and threw the large man into a nearby filing cabinet. Dhalsim jumped into the air and corkscrewed his body head first at Yamazaki. Ryuji recovered and blocked most of the attack. He then grabbed Dhalsim by the head before he could attempt another technique. Yamazki slammed Dhalsim into the ground several times face first. He picked Dhalsim up again by his head and began to laugh maniacally. Yamazaki intended to do one of his favorite moves next which was running while dragging his opponent’s head across the ground. Before he could do this, Dhalsin spit out a small yoga fire that Yamazaki didn’t even immediately register until it set him ablaze. Once set free, Dhalsim cooked Yamazaki with a strong Yoga Flame. With momentum now on his side, Dhalsim began to calculate a plan to deal with this dangerous adversary.

Outside the darkened room where the battle was ongoing, Rose stood blissfully unaware of the violence transpiring inside. She was curious about Dhalsim taking so long but did not want to interrupt his meditation. She heard a loud noise and thought it might have come from the room that Dhalsim was meditating in, but she changed her mind when a group of people suddenly ran by her, much to her confusion

“What is going on?” asked the fortune teller.

“This hospital is not safe,” replied a woman. “There are crazy people with weapons attacking anyone in sight. (REF: CHUN-LI VS. RACHEL) You should get out of here while you can.”

Rose decided to investigate and went in the direction all the people were running away from. She did not hear any active confrontations, only the shouts and screams of scared people. She walked by a room where two Interpol agents were sprawled out on the ground by the open doorway. Rose gazed inside the room and saw a familiar face also prone on the ground.

“Chun-Li!” Rose cried out.

Rose rushed over and knelt next to her fallen ally. She utitlized her Soul Power to try and resuscitate Chiun-Li safely. After a few minutes, Chun-Li’s eyes fluttered open.

“Rose? Is that you?” she said weakly.

“Yes, it is me,” Rose confirmed. “What happened? Who did this to you?” (REF: RACHEL VS. ZAFINA)

“I had a fight with a very strong woman. I wasn’t good enough…” Rose helped Chun-Li to her feet and allowed Chun to lean on her for support. “I still have so many questions.” Dread spread across Chun-Li’s face. ”Hold on a minute, Yang! We need to check on him!” (REF: SHIKI VS. YANG)

“Ok. Just tell me where to go,” stated Rose as she assisted Chun-Li walk through the doorway.

Chun-Li directed her to a nearby waiting room, where they arrived just in time to see two orderlies lifting up a bloody Yang to place him on a transport bed. Next to them was Helena Douglas’s right hand man, Zack.

“Yang!” shouted Chun-Li as the orderlies rushed him out of the room.

Zack’s eyes widened. “Chun;Li?!? What are you doing here? Haven’t seen you in awhile. You…uh… don’t look so good.”

“What happened to Yang?”

Zack shrugged. “Is that who this is? Kokoro and I just found him like this. Kokoro went after the woman responsible.” Zack looked down with shame. “I..I didn’t get a good look at the one responsible. She was already gone.” (REF: KOKORO VS. SHIKI)

“You are saying it was a woman? Could it have been the same one who knocked me out?” Chun-Li wondered.

“He appeared to have suffered multiple stab wounds,” Rose observed. “Was your opponent using a sharp object like a sword or a spear?”

“No,” replied Chun-Li. “We need to follow them.”

“You should probably be getting looked at yourself,” Zack suggested.

“Yoga!”

Dhalsim teleported into the waiting room. His sudden appearance startled Zack and he shrieked.

“Apologies,” stated Dhalsim. “I’m in a bit of a hurry and did not want to walk.”

“Dhalsim, did you just finish meditat…” Before she could finish the question, she had a vision of Dhalsim’s fight with Yamazaki. ”Oh no.”

Dhalsim picked up on this. “I have become quite the popular target in the sadistic killer community. (REF: DHALSIM VS. VOLDO) I have been fortunate to find success, but it is turning into a major impediment. That’s not why I rushed over here. Look at the TV.”

Dhalsim pointed at a TV in the upper right corner. On the screen, the news was broadcasting helicopter footage of a small explosion near the G-Corporation building, and the mysterious orange cloud that now hung over the area.

“Authorities at the moment are unsure of what this orange mist is and want to be careful before rushing in,” the tv reporter announced. “I am now getting word that the G-Corporation has just announced that they have the equipment to deal with this and will seal off the area to protect the public.”

“From one of the camera angles I’m pretty sure I saw Guy and it looked like he was fighting someone,” noted Dhalsim. (REF: GUY VS. RYO SAZAKI)

“We need to get back there and get them out of that area,” Rose declared.

Dhalsim nodded in agreement.

Rose turned to her injured friend, Chun-Li, who was still leaning against her shoulder.

“You guys do what you need to do, I’ll take care of Miss Chun-Li,” Zack announced.

He walked over and offered his hand to help her walk. “And once we find you some help that hasn’t fled or is in hiding, I will go check on Yang. I promise.”

“We thank you for your help,” stated Dhalsim.

Chun-Li smiled at Dhalsim. “It was nice to see you. I wish it could have been under better circumstances.”

“As do I. Take care of yourself.”

Dhalsim and Rose both teleported out of the room.

“Are you worried that whoever did this to Yang might do it to Kokoro too?” Chun-Li asked Zack.

Zack hesitated and then he scoffed. “Kokoro is tough, a lot tougher than she looks. I bet she has fought worse. I am not worried.”

Chun-Li regarded him skeptically. “It is okay to admit that you are concerned about people you care about.”

—----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dhalsimai.jpg.6bee841c5ae2916177306a1fb703b2d1.jpg

On the streets outside of the G-Corporation building, Maki Genryusai was struggling to bat away the fan projectiles thrown at her with her tonfas. (REF: MAKI GENRYUSAI VS. MAI SHIRANUI) The malfested Mai Shiranui tossed each one with more rage fueled aggression than the last. As Maki began to stumble, Mai seized on an opportunity. She dashed toward Maki and impacted Maki’s jaw with her elbow. She followed this by twirling in the air and hitting Maki with a fire attack that sent the blonde martial artist to the ground. 

Mai could hear that Guy was fighting another man nearby and decided she needed to end her fight with Maki quickly and thus not miss an opportunity to take out her anger on its biggest target, the man responsible for hurting her dearest Andy. (REF: ANDY BOGARD VS. GUY) This moment to listen to the surroundings gave Maki a brief opportunity to try and get back into the fight.

Maki jumped to her feet and swung at Mai with her tonfas. She then did a single hand stand and attempted to strike Mai with a twirling kick. Mai rolled away from the technique. Maki remained aggressive and launched herself left foot first at Mai. Mai parried the kick by performing a cartwheel. Both female fighters jumped back in the air and Maki tried to grab her opponent to slam her against the wall. Mai countered by crouching into a ball and spinning in the air causing a wheel of fire that inflamed Maki. Mai returned to the ground first and placed her two index fingers together in front of her face. She summoned a column of fire to roast Maki even more. Before Maki’s burned body could hit the ground, Mai struck her with a series of blurring speed dash attacks culminating in placing her feet around Maki’s head, twirling, and smashing Maki face first into the pavement.

Usually after successfully performing such an impressive combo of attacks, Mai would pose and declare herself the best. However, in her current state she felt no joy, only hate.

“Guy, you’re next!” she screamed. 

A short distance away, Rose and Dhalsim teleported on the scene. Rose utilized her Soul Power to clear out some lingering orange mist. As soon as it had been removed, her eyes immediately found Guy unconscious on the ground. She rushed over to him and noticed another man, Ryo Sakazaki, also unconscious nearby.

“Do you think Kazuya launched an attack on them and used the orange mist as cover or for confusion?” asked Dhalsim.

“The orange mist was the attack,” Rose declared. “This entire area has the foul stench of Soul Edge. It feels stronger here than it did when I felt it from that woman I battled in Venice. (REF: ROSE VS. VIOLA) They were most likely fighting one another.”

“Ahhhh! Nooo!”

The angry scream from Mai Shiranui caught Rose and Dhalsim off guard. The buxom kunoichi stomped over to where Rose was knelt down next to Guy.

“Vengeance for what he did to Andy was supposed to be mine!! You have all left me with nothing!” she shouted.

Dhalsim was disheartened when he saw Mai’s face. “Her eyes.”

“I see them, the orange glow of the malfested,” stated Rose.

“You were right about what has happened here,” noted Dhalsim.

“What has happened is that I have lost all my patience with the whole lot of you. You have had me running everywhere supposedly to fight evil and yet the only evil I see has been brought upon us by you!” Mai exclaimed. She focused in on Rose. “You are the one responsible for dragging us all into the hellhole. I blame you for what has happened to Terry (REF: BRUCE IRVIN VS. CRIMSON VIPER), to Andy, to me!!” (REF: MAI SHIRANUI VS. TIRA)

A pillar of fire swirled around Mai Shiranui.

“If I can’t take out my vengeance on Guy, then I will settle for destroying you!”

“Rose, take them and anyone else you can find in this area out of here, get them back to the hospital. I will deal with her,” Dhalsim proclaimed.

Rose protested. “Are you sure about this? You are just coming off of another fight.”

“From the looks of it, so is she,” he replied.

“You are not listening, I make the decisions now!” Mai insisted.

Mai prepared to launch a steel fan at Rose, but Dhalsim teleported in front of her.

“Not this one. Rose, get the others out of here, quickly.”

“If you are so determined to feel my wrath as well, then so be it,” Mai threatened.

Dhalsim remained calm. “Hopefully the flames of our battle will cleanse this area of the wicked aura that has tainted it.”

Tournament Summary for combatant

Mai Shiranui (King of Fighters) defeated Tira (Soul Calibur) in Round 1, Katarina Alves (Tekken) in Round 2, and Maki Genryusai (Street Fighter) in Round 3

Dhalsim (Street Fighter) defeated Voldo (Soul Calibur) in Round 1, Lei Fei (Virtua Fighter) in Round 2, and Ryuji Yamazaki (King of Fighters) in Round 3

On 2/8/2022 at 9:24 PM, leroypowell3 said:

Giving this to Dhalism. He's a legend but I think he's always been underrated. "Yoga Flame!"

I personally used to despise fighting Dhalsim in SF2. His stretching attacks would always get me.

Objectively, I think this would be a close fight one way or the other.

Aw, man, I wish I had gotten to this one.

Another good set-up, Johnny. Good to see how some fighters are faring after some tough fights. 

As for the match, I think Dhalsim should've won this one. Yeah, both he and Mai are both coming off of fights, but I think Dhalsim's experience and much cooler head should've helped him prevail here.