MATCH SCORE
Archangel: 1
Gambit: 4

Match 17988 Rachel (Ninja Gaiden) vs. Zafina

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART 174

1835580105_chunlidefeated.jpg.aaee8b0afd00bf87f47b41c5db895ff1.jpg

At the hospital near the G-Corporation building, Chun-Li was experiencing a much tougher fight than she had anticipated against the statuesque blonde in skin tight leather, Rachel.  (REF: CHUN-LI VS. RACHEL) Rachel was proving herself to be stronger than any woman Chun-Li had ever come across before. Chun-Li attempted her arm tackle technique, but Rachel held her ground, picked Chun-Li up, cradled her like a baby, and then chucked her against the wall. Chun-Li quickly scrambled to her feet, ducked a double ax handle strike from Rachel, then kicked at Rachel’s feet to try and trip up the fiend hunter. She then spun around upside down and charged at Rachel with her Spinning Bird Kick. Rachel shielded herself with her arms from the technique so that she would receive minimal impact. Chun-Li decided to keep up the pressure and transitioned into rapid fire lightning kicks. Rachel continued to try and block the assault, but the force of Chun-Li’s powerful leg strikes pushed her back  and a few of the kicks hit their mark. 

Chun Li clasped her hands together and shouted, “Kikousho!”

Chun-Li created a large blue ball of energy that finally knocked Rachel down. However, Rachel was soon back on her feet.

“Not bad, for a human,” Rachel remarked.

“You are…. Not human?” Chun-Li wondered.

“Not completely.”

“That would explain some things.”

Chun-Li charged again at Rachel, who swatted away a punch from the Chinese martial artist. Rachel grabbed Chun-Li by the hair, lifted her into the air, and punched her hard in the gut. She then slammed her face first on the ground so hard that Chun-Li’s body bounced back into the air and was greeted with a strong kick to the face by one of Rachel’s long black boots.

Chun-Li slowly returned to her feet and she was now bleeding from one of her eyes. Rachel continued her offense with a combo of slow, but impactful punches and kicks. Chun-Li’s blurred vision made it hard for her to defend herself so she took the full force of most of the punishment.

“There is no escape,” Rachel declared.

She levitated into the air, surrounded by mystical purple energy, that soon exploded and knocked Chun-Li back to the ground. Rachel picked up her war hammer.

“Stay down human, I don’t want to kill you. You are a formidable warrior, and you have my respect.”

Chun-Li struggled to stand. “I will never give up.”

Rachel swung her war hammer viciously through the air and smashed it into Chun-Li, knocking the Interpol agent back to the ground for good.

“Verify the kill just in case she’s not dead,” noted the demon possessing Rachel. (REF: NYOTENGU VS. ELIZA)

“I wasn’t trying to kill her, only knock her out,” Rachel responded. “I needn't any input from you.”

The loud crashing from the fight woke up Katarina Alves who started violently fidgeting on her bed.

“Must kill! Must destroy!” she yelled.

Rachel was disheartened to see that Katarina was still very much a malfested. (REF: KATARINA ALVES VS. MAI SHIRANUI)

“It’s going to be tough to get any useful information out of her like this,” the demon observed.

“Shut up!” Rachel quickly knocked Katarina out with the butt of her war hammer. “Both of you.”

“I told you it was a bad idea to come here. We have a much better chance of finding someone in control of the Soul Edge influence closer to the G-Corporation building,” the demon reiterated.

“Let’s just get moving.”

—------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

zafinazazel.jpg.0dded0012d74b00b2a8e74040611398d.jpg

Closer to the G Corporation building, Hwang and Zafina took cover in an adjacent alley way away from the explosion that produced the orange cloud hovering over Guy, Mai Shiranui, and the others. (REF: GUY VS. RYO SAKAZAKI)

“I hope they are okay,” said Zafina.

“We can hope for the best, but we should expect the worst,” Hwang replied. (REF: MAKI GENRYUSAI VS. MAI SHIRANUI)

Hwang leaned against a dumpster in pain. Zafina rushed to his side.

“Are you still feeling the effects of your fight with Guy?” she asked.

“Yes. (REF: HWANG VS. GUY) It has been a very long time since I lost a fight.” Hwang chuckled to himself. “I was spoiled by testing all those would-be heroes in Korea. (REF: HWANG VS. HWOARANG) I was not keeping my mind and body prepared for the real battles. I doubt I would be any help in a fight if a new Azure Knight rises. Not in my current condition.”

“If you can help us find Seigfried and the Soul Edge that Rose and I saw (REF: KILIK VS. ASH CRIMSON) then that will be more than enough,” stated Zafina. “There is more than one way to be a hero.”

"I hope for all of our sakes, you are correct," Hwang lamented.

The Egyptian tomb defender glanced back at the direction they came from.

“Why don’t you rest here, I’ll see if I can find a good vantage point to check on the others,” she suggested.

Hwang agreed with this and sat down against a brick wall. A short while after Zafina left, a different woman entered the alley way.

“I can feel the Soul Edge shards inside you from here,” Rachel declared. “The fact that you are not blinded with rage tells me that it may have been your choice to ingest the shards. Which means you can tell me the sword’s location.”

“It can’t do that,” Hwang replied. “It would only bring more misery.”

“I don’t intend to use it to rule the world or any such nonsense,” Rachel informed. “I only wish to use it to rid myself of this foul possession and then I will destroy it.”

“I have heard sentiments like that before, it never ends well,” claimed Hwang.

Rachel aimed her war hammer at Hwang in a threatening fashion. “I am not here to ask for your approval of my plan.”

“Step away from him!”

Rachel tilted her head to see Zafina rejoin them in the alleyway.

“He is needed to save the world,” said Zafina. “Any beef you have with him can wait.”

Rachel felt an ominous presence inside Zafina instantly.

“What is that inside you? You are not a fiend. No, it’s something else.”

“She is possessed by the spirit of the legendary demon, Azazel,” the demon inside Rachel noted. “I had heard he had been destroyed. Amazing.”

“Woman, are you seeking Soul Edge to rid yourself of demonic possession as well?” Rachel wondered.

“I would never use the sword for such a thing,” Zafina insisted. “I took the spirit of Azazel into my body willingly, using a ritual passed down by my clan to seal it in. My body shall remain Azazel’s prison until a proper way to destroy it presents itself.”

The demon inside Rachel felt threatened. “No mere mortal could successfully seal Azazel away in their own body for very long. He is too powerful. This woman can not be trusted.”

“Do you really not believe that Soul Edge has the power to destroy Azazel once and for all?” Rachel asked Zafina.

“I believe the utilization of such tactics would only bring a stronger presence of evil to the world,” Zafina replied. “Using evil to fight evil is never the answer.”

This logic seemed hypocritical to Rachel and also made no sense to her. She thought of how Ryu Hayabusa had used the cursed Dragon Sword countless times to great effect in his battle against evil, and she thought of all these other warriors unwilling to repurpose Soul Edge’s vast power to do good things as cowards.

“Typical human,” she sneered. “Too afraid to do what needs to be done. If you are too scared to use Soul Edge to destroy Azazel then I will, once it is in my possession.”

“That is not the path,” Zafina declared. “Perhaps we can find out if the other sword, Soul Calibur, can accomplish these things in due time, but it is not the priority.”

“It’s a trick,” the demon inside Rachel insisted.

“My goal is to obtain Soul Edge, and I will not be dissuaded or distracted from my mission. Get in my way at your own peril,” Rachel threatened. 

1 hour ago, leroypowell3 said:

Rachel should take this. Although I wonder what happens if Zafina dies. Does Azazel get released or what?

A good question, I hadn't thought about that yet. Although if Rachel wins my intent is not to necessarily kill Zafina. Rachel has been very stubborn so far but not bloodthirsty, at least when it doesn't involve fiends. 

There is a very formidable challenger waiting in the wings for whomever wins this fight that will require all of their attention rather quickly.

Tournament summary for combatants

Rachel (Dead or Alive/Ninja Gaiden) defeated Shura (Soul Calibur) in Round 1 and Chun-Li (Street Fighter) in Round 2

Zafina (Tekken) defeated Menat (Street Fighter) in Round 1 and Rose (Street Fighter) in Round 2