MATCH SCORE
Batman: 2
Judas Breed: 0

Match 17455 Maki Genryusai vs. Mai Shiranui

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART 162

Sc4-soul-calibur.jpg.fbc22e2636dc59da2d7edfdfeb5f13b9.jpg

Reluctant allies, Mai Shiranui and Zafina, struggled to find the man they were looking for, Guy. They had been instructed to find the Bushinryu master who was last seen nearby the area of the G Corporation building fighting off an ancient warrior with ties to Soul Edge. (REF: SIEGFRIED VS. GILL) The fortune teller, Rose, believed the warrior fighting Guy could give them valuable information about the sword that both Rose and Zafina saw in a shared vision. (REF: KILIK VS. ASH CRIMSON)

Unfortunately, Mai saw a glaring flaw in this plan that also saw Rose and Dhalsim taking Terry Bogard to a hospital to get medical attention. 

“This is dumb. How are we supposed to know where Guy is? Neither of us were near him when he left the group. (REF: HWANG VS. GUY) I was busy fighting in a restaurant (REF: LEI FEI VS. DHALSIM), and you were… well you were doing whatever the hell it was that you were doing. You just kind of showed up out of nowhere and hijacked the team," complained Mai.

“That is not how I see it,” stated Zafina. “It was the fates that brought us here together.”

“Ater what happened to Andy and Terry, the fates can kiss my butt.”

“Everything happens for a reason. We must all play our parts,” Zafina insisted.

“Why don’t you just….” Mai stopped mid sentence and pointed to an alleyway to their left. “I found him. There he is!”

The legendary Korean hero, Hwang, was kneeling in front of Guy as the two women approached.

“You have bested me in battle. I concede that you are a better fighter than I,” Hwang remarked. “If I am to die here, at least it is to a highly skilled warrior.”

Guy shook his head. “I’m not going to kill you. I never wanted to, and neither did Rose when she fought Viola (REF: ROSE VS. VIOLA) or any of the others. I’ve been trying to tell you, we all want the same thing, to stop the ascension of Soul Edge. Rose’s only concern was the influence of the Soul Edge shards ingested by you and your allies.”

“Hey! Are you the one they call Guy!” Zafina called out.

Guy turned his attention to the sound of the voice as Zafina and Mai Shiranui walked up to him.

“I am,” he responded. “Who are you?”

“My name is Zafina, I am a seer like your friend, Rose. I had been tasked with protecting the world from the demon, Azazel, but fate has also brought me into this conflict against the wicked sword, Soul Edge,” she explained. (REF: MENAT VS. ZAFINA)

“Where is Rose? And Mai, I see you have rejoined us, what of Dhalsim?” Guy inquired.

“It is a long story,” answered Zafina. “But they should be rejoining us soon. First, I want to address the man you have just battled.” She looked over to Hwang. “You are one of the warriors who have been around for centuries are you not? I can sense the shards inside you.”

Hwang nodded. “Yes. I have been around since the last time Soul Edge wreaked havoc upon this world. I want to ensure that it does not do so again.”

“I recently saw a different blade in a shared vision with another seer,” Zafina informed. “It was large and bright and cut through the darkness. It appeared to be the antithesis of Soul Edge. Do you know of the blade that was shown to me?”

Hwang nodded again. “What you saw was Soul Calibur. A mighty sword forged by the Hero King, Algol, to fight the power of Soul Edge after he had been corrupted by its wickedness. Few warriors throughout history have been worthy enough to even wield the blade. The last person I know to possess the sword was a brave knight named Siegfried. He too had been a vessel of Soul Edge’s azure knight, Nightmare, before freeing himself of its influence and dedicating his life to its destruction. If you are seeing it in a vision then it must mean we will need it again. If that is true then it also means we will fail in stopping the rise of Soul Edge. You need to find Siegfried.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1088326156_makivs_mai.jpg.f1bc40fb92aceca6b7e3acf562e7b2cd.jpg

A G-Corporation scientist excitedly approached Kazuya Mishima in his office.

“The drone is ready, sir,” the scientist announced.

Kazuya smiled. “Are you sure?”

“Yes. We were able to synthesize a gas utilizing the smallest Soul Edge shards and particles that we extracted from the subject brought in by the white haired woman. (REF: ASH CRIMSON VS. NECALLI) The shards proved to be more malleable than initially thought which is why we were able to work so quickly. It’s almost as if the shards have a mind of their own and they were working with us, it was incredible,” explained the scientist.

“If the legends are to be believed then Soul Edge absolutely does have a mind of its own,” stated Kazuya.

“Science doesn’t have much space for legends,” the scientist countered.

“You and your team would do well to respect the legends when dealing with this power.” Kazuya’s left eye sparked red from the devil gene inside him. “I don’t have to remind you that science doesn’t have an explanation for all of the phenomena of the world.”

“Of course not,” the scientist replied. 

“It is time for us to get a front row seat and see what this mystical energy can really do,” Kazuya proclaimed.

“Where would you like us to send the drone to?” 

Kazuya slightly shrugged. “Any populated area will do.” Kazuya then thought better of it. “Actually, I know we still have eyes on our uninvited guests from before. (REF: TERRY BOGARD VS. KAZUYA MISHIMA) Let’s send it their way.”

“We are on it.”

Kazuya turned to face the window of his office and chuckled as he stared out at the stormy night.

A decent distance away, Maki Genryusai, Ryo Sakazaki, and member of the Mugen Tenshin ninja clan were closing in on the G Corporation building as they hopped across the rooftops. (REF: DHALSIM VS. RYUJI YAMAZAKI)

“I can’t remember the last time I was this excited and this nervous about an upcoming fight,” admitted Ryo.

“I know what you mean. I…” Maki’s voice trailed off as she stared down at the street below them. “Guy? Can it really be you?”

“What do you see?” asked Ryo.

“Not what, who,” answered Maki. “But what is he doing here?”

Ryo followed Maki’s finger but he did not recognize the man she was pointing to. He did, however, immediately recognize the woman talking to him.

“Mai Shiranui?” he wondered aloud.

Neither Maki or Ryo attempted to stop the Mugen Tenshin who continued to make their way toward the G-Corporation building. They weren’t even thinking about it. They both descended from the rooftops to engage the familiar faces.

Maki suddenly clocked a decent sized drone dive bombing straight toward Guy, Mai, and the two unfamiliar fighters standing in close proximity to them.

“Look out!” shouted Maki.

She flung one of her tonfas at the drone and it detonated instantly, causing a sizable explosion that blasted back all six people. After the explosion, an orange mist hung in the air and rained down upon Maki, Ryo, Guy, Mai, Zafina, and Hwang.

After she returned to her feet, Maki picked up her tonfas and surveyed the wreckage.

“What the hell?”

Next, Maki turned her attention to locating Ryo. She found him several yards away, back on his feet, but hunched over and grabbing his sides.

“Ryo, are you okay?” asked Maki.

Ryo did not answer right away and he sounded like he was growling.

“Hey Ryo, are you…”

“Enough!!!”

Maki whipped her head around to look into the orange tinted eyes of Mai Shiranui who was now malfested.

“I have had enough!!” declared Mai. “It’s your fault, it’s all your fault. Everyone of you. What happened to Terry. (REF: BRUCE IRVIN VS. CRIMSON VIPER) What happened to Andy! (REF: ANDY BOGARD VS. GUY) All of you are to blame. The woman who kidnapped me. (MAI SHIRANUI VS. TIRA) The woman who fought me. (MAI SHIRANUI VS. KATARINA ALVES) I will not stand for it anymore, I will crush you all!”

Before Maki could fully grasp what was being shouted at her, she had to snap into action. Mai Shiranui flung her fans at Maki with supreme aggression.

I am gonna go with my girl, Maki. As much as I like Mai, she's only fought in tournament settings where as Maki had fought in life or death street situations against the Mad Gear alongside Haggar and Carlos Miyamoto.

I’m leaning towards Mei Shiranui. She’s appeared in much more games/tournaments and therefore has much more fighting experience then Maki and her offensive attacks and pyro abilities will be very hard for Maki to get past.

Grading the setup a 5 out of 5 JohnnyChany. Great job again!

Another good set-up, Johnny. Good update on what some of the ninjas are up to. 

As for the match, this battle of the kunoichis could be a pretty tough one. Maki's a bit more street tough and quicker, but Mai has her powerful projectile attacks and more ninja tricks at her disposal. I think Mai would probably eke this one out due to her Soul Edge-induced aggression and more expansive ninjustu techniques, but the others would likely step in before either lady got seriously hurt.