Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Rumble 20539 Whitespikes vs. The Xenomorphs
MATCH SCORE
Whitespikes: 0
The Xenomorphs: 3

Cameron Poe vs. Castor Troy
MATCH SCORE
Cameron Poe: 3
Castor Troy: 0

Raphael (Mirage) vs. Ken Masters
MATCH SCORE
Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

12:3 - Ashley J. Williams vs. The Event Horizon

UMPIRE

SEASON 12, ROUND 3

Ashley J. Williams

Slot: The Team's Survivor
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Ashley J. Williams at this Wiki
Official Site: Anchor Bay Entertainment

The Event Horizon

Slot: The Team's Location
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about The Event Horizon at this Wiki
Official Site: Paramount

Battle Terrain
Sidekick vs. Terrain

It has been a long time since I have seen Event Horizon. Probably when it first came to video.

If I recall correctly, the Event Horizon affects people's minds.  It has a strong psychological component more than a physical component.

Please correct me if I an misremembering the film.

Over the course of the Evil Dead movies and the series (which was pretty great) we have seen that Ash has high resistance to seeing and dealing with things that drive others Mad.  I think he manages to get through here.

Now this is something I would happily pay to see, what a great match up. Whilst event horizon has a psychological element to it, it is also a doorway to hell which is what drives most people mad. Ash has walked through that doorway multiple times and brought his boomstick along for the ride - I reckon he can last 24 hours, but will hold my vote for now.

Considering Ash has dealt with many attacks on his mind wether it be demonic possesion, mind control and even just psychological manipulation in his later years, he was able to survive these mental attack and even when he does cave into these attacks, he eventually gains his sanity back and act like nothing has happened. Also because of his constant run in with Deadites of all kinds as well as a few timelines and worlds, I'm sure the amount of shit he's seen practically numbs him to whatever Event Horizon is gonna try and do to him.

So Ash has certainly faced a great deal of traumatic events, but it is worth remembering that the Event Horizon's personal hell is tailored to each of its victims. Considering that everyone who went on the event horizon has in some way sucumbed to the madness and only been snapped out by others who had not or had not sucumbbed as much I think Ash has an uphill battle. There is no physical evil for him to confront or solve. The only solution to the Event Horizon was destroying it and hoping to be rescued.

10 minutes ago, Twogunkid said:

So Ash has certainly faced a great deal of traumatic events, but it is worth remembering that the Event Horizon's personal hell is tailored to each of its victims. Considering that everyone who went on the event horizon has in some way sucumbed to the madness and only been snapped out by others who had not or had not sucumbbed as much I think Ash has an uphill battle. There is no physical evil for him to confront or solve. The only solution to the Event Horizon was destroying it and hoping to be rescued.

Well that's the thing; Ash has known to snap himself out of these kind of situations. Sure there have been times he needed help, but that's very few comapred to the many other times he managed to snap himself out of insanity and back to sanity. And since this ship is practically the source of everything, I think Ash would consider this just another haunted cabin but bigger and made of metal before getting thoughts on destroying the thing.

9 minutes ago, Gizmo Hibiki said:

Well that's the thing; Ash has known to snap himself out of these kind of situations. Sure there have been times he needed help, but that's very few comapred to the many other times he managed to snap himself out of insanity and back to sanity. And since this ship is practically the source of everything, I think Ash would consider this just another haunted cabin but bigger and made of metal before getting thoughts on destroying the thing.

To the point of destroying the thing, Ash has no clue how to possibly run or destroy a spacecraft. His boomstick isn't a solution and the Event Horizon can create facsimiles of loved ones in the afflicted's madness to lure them to their deaths (see Peters' death).

Ash being lured by an illusory Linda until it is too late seems all too likely.

When confronted with Bad Ash he stood in stunned silence for a while, which is all the time the Event Horizon needs.

5 minutes ago, Twogunkid said:

To the point of destroying the thing, Ash has no clue how to possibly run or destroy a spacecraft. His boomstick isn't a solution and the Event Horizon can create facsimiles of loved ones in the afflicted's madness to lure them to their deaths (see Peters' death).

Ash being lured by an illusory Linda until it is too late seems all too likely.

When confronted with Bad Ash he stood in stunned silence for a while, which is all the time the Event Horizon needs.

Too many people seem to underestimate Ash, wich I think it another reason he'd survive a place like E.H. Yeah, he's no space man nor is he an expert in engineering when it comes to space crafts, but he has shown to improvise in these kind of situations such as whenever he manages to make his own weaponry like the dynamite launcher and harpoon gun in Evil Dead Regeneration in an alternate timeline and when he managed to create more shotgun shells and build himself a prosthetic hand made of a knights gauntlet, both when he was stuck in the midevil times and showing he knows basic and possibly advanced chemistry. Because of his mechanical tinkering, he should by definition look for a way out or at least a way to blow up the ship.

Also again, he's been known to snap himself out of illusions and mind manipulation. He's put down Bad Ash many times to know he's not coming back unless the Necronomicon is somehow involved. 

5 hours ago, Gizmo Hibiki said:

Too many people seem to underestimate Ash, wich I think it another reason he'd survive a place like E.H. Yeah, he's no space man nor is he an expert in engineering when it comes to space crafts, but he has shown to improvise in these kind of situations such as whenever he manages to make his own weaponry like the dynamite launcher and harpoon gun in Evil Dead Regeneration in an alternate timeline and when he managed to create more shotgun shells and build himself a prosthetic hand made of a knights gauntlet, both when he was stuck in the midevil times and showing he knows basic and possibly advanced chemistry. Because of his mechanical tinkering, he should by definition look for a way out or at least a way to blow up the ship.

Also again, he's been known to snap himself out of illusions and mind manipulation. He's put down Bad Ash many times to know he's not coming back unless the Necronomicon is somehow involved. 

How is the Event Horizon going to underestimate him? It tries to kill everyone.

I will grant a good degree of jury rigging, but I would say that is different than ensuring a successful self-destruct and survival of said self-destruct.

I wasn't mentioning Bad Ash as a possibility of appearing but more that Ash does take time to adjust to a new scenario which is all that is needed for him to have been lured to his death.

20 hours ago, Twogunkid said:

How is the Event Horizon going to underestimate him? It tries to kill everyone.

I will grant a good degree of jury rigging, but I would say that is different than ensuring a successful self-destruct and survival of said self-destruct.

I wasn't mentioning Bad Ash as a possibility of appearing but more that Ash does take time to adjust to a new scenario which is all that is needed for him to have been lured to his death.

Even Horizon has said that the ship is practically alive, therefore it must have some kind of personality, especially if it goes up against someone like Ash wich in terms mean that Ash would be underestimated because of his bumbling nature and constant taunting, just as well as his dumb luck. 
Even if it doesn't have a personality, just trying to kill everyone through illusions is something that is not gonna deter Ash from his main goal of survival and/or destroying the place with the high possibility of escaping. 

And while true Ash has to adjust to the things he sees, that's one of his main strengths, easily adjusting to a situation. A living, haunted ship is nothing compared to an entire city, cyber space or even medieval times considering he practically almost did it all. If this was Ash from just Evil Dead than I can understand why he wouldn't survive Event Horizon, but this is experienced, sort of hardened and cocky Ash. He's gonna survive it even if it means literally having a slap fight with an illusion. 

1 hour ago, Gizmo Hibiki said:

Even Horizon has said that the ship is practically alive, therefore it must have some kind of personality, especially if it goes up against someone like Ash wich in terms mean that Ash would be underestimated because of his bumbling nature and constant taunting, just as well as his dumb luck. 
Even if it doesn't have a personality, just trying to kill everyone through illusions is something that is not gonna deter Ash from his main goal of survival and/or destroying the place with the high possibility of escaping. 

And while true Ash has to adjust to the things he sees, that's one of his main strengths, easily adjusting to a situation. A living, haunted ship is nothing compared to an entire city, cyber space or even medieval times considering he practically almost did it all. If this was Ash from just Evil Dead than I can understand why he wouldn't survive Event Horizon, but this is experienced, sort of hardened and cocky Ash. He's gonna survive it even if it means literally having a slap fight with an illusion. 

So you're going to have to give me a crash course, I've only seen Evil Dead, where he is part of a bad decision that gets everyone except him killed, Evil Dead II where he is forced to chop off his own hand and gets himself sent back in time, and Army of Darkness which definitely paints him as the most competent. I didn't even know there was a TV show till this matchup.

The Event Horizon is merciless. The time Ash spends adjusting is part of what gets everyone around him to end up as casualties. There is no one else to help Ash out here. There is no slap fight, the Event Horizon is going for a kill plain and simple. No gloating no taunting and no benefit to even having a shotgun and chainsaw.

2 hours ago, Twogunkid said:

So you're going to have to give me a crash course, I've only seen Evil Dead, where he is part of a bad decision that gets everyone except him killed, Evil Dead II where he is forced to chop off his own hand and gets himself sent back in time, and Army of Darkness which definitely paints him as the most competent. I didn't even know there was a TV show till this matchup.

The Event Horizon is merciless. The time Ash spends adjusting is part of what gets everyone around him to end up as casualties. There is no one else to help Ash out here. There is no slap fight, the Event Horizon is going for a kill plain and simple. No gloating no taunting and no benefit to even having a shotgun and chainsaw.

Well there's also been a ton of Evil Dead and Army of Darkness comics. From stand alone adventures to crossovers, Ash has been around. He's also been in about five games (Though nobody really counts the Commodre 64 game), all of wich he's gained new weaponry, new types of Deadites as well as timelines, events as well as ffighting through new attacks such as again, being brainwashed and possessed by a demonic spirit (Evil Dead: Regeneration), driven to insanity by looking at bones of another worldly creature (Evil Dead: Hail to the King), as well as overcoming psychological manipulation when he was old (Ash vs The Evil Dead). 

There is plenty to talk about when it comes to his combat feats, but his psychological feats are just as impressive. Sure he's still gotten a possibe case of PTSD if the show is anyhthing to go by, but he's been able to forgive himself once he dealt with his problems head on and somehow not get his mind broken every other time he manages to somehow survive yet another Deadite attack that jumps the shark: Such as when he was sent into the far, far future to take down the Deadites with a robotic companion and be sent into cyberspace to attack the undead that had taken over and become digital coding.

He managed to survive another day of all these crazy Deadite moments every single time, one jumped shark after another, and yet he is still able to come back to a life of normalcy and get his old job back in S-Mart, his universe's Walmart, every single time. If that guy can somehow work a normal nine to five job every time he deals with an undead problem like it was just another Saturday, I think he can keep sane enough to survive Event Horizon.