Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Rumble 20539 Whitespikes vs. The Xenomorphs
MATCH SCORE
Whitespikes: 0
The Xenomorphs: 3

Cameron Poe vs. Castor Troy
MATCH SCORE
Cameron Poe: 3
Castor Troy: 0

Raphael (Mirage) vs. Ken Masters
MATCH SCORE
Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

12:2 - Segata Sanshiro vs. Wendy

UMPIRE

SEASON 12, ROUND 2

Segata Sanshiro

Slot: The Team's Corporate Mascot
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Segata Sanshiro at this Wiki
Official Site: Sega

Wendy

Slot: The Team's Corporate Mascot
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Wendy at this Wiki
Official Site: Wendy's

Battle Terrain
Marketing Challenge: Bic Disposable Underwear

Well, that's an interesting challenge isn't it. Let's take a look at it.

On the one hand we have Segata Sanshiro whose bit is to beat up everyone and make them play Sega Saturn.

And we have Wendy, from Wendy's Hamburgers. It is important to note that Wendy is 51 years old, yo!

wendy_thomas.jpg

OK, and they want to sell you Bic disposable underwear.  How's that going to work out?

Segata Sanshiro will beat you up and make you wear disposable underwear.  I don't think that sells.

Wendy Thomas represents an aging fast-food eating demographic that probably NEEDS disposable underwear. That sells.

Going with Wendy.

5 hours ago, Fox said:

Well, that's an interesting challenge isn't it. Let's take a look at it.

On the one hand we have Segata Sanshiro whose bit is to beat up everyone and make them play Sega Saturn.

And we have Wendy, from Wendy's Hamburgers. It is important to note that Wendy is 51 years old, yo!

wendy_thomas.jpg

OK, and they want to sell you Bic disposable underwear.  How's that going to work out?

Segata Sanshiro will beat you up and make you wear disposable underwear.  I don't think that sells.

Wendy Thomas represents an aging fast-food eating demographic that probably NEEDS disposable underwear. That sells.

Going with Wendy.

Point of order here: this is not Wendy the real lady. It's the mascot. The picture is of Wendy as a child, not a 51 year old woman. The famous Wendy's mascot is not the real person. Besides, one of the rules of the CBUB lately has been no real people, so it really doesn't make sense to use the real Wendy and not the mascot

Sorry to double post, but

13 hours ago, Venom 2009 said:

cut

Dude, the Wendy character is supposed to be like 8. That's disgusting.

Also,

11 hours ago, Fox said:

This is just wrong. The Wendy mascot is all about appealing to kids. Think of Wendy's Twitter, the fact that Wendy dropped a diss track, or those cringe-y meme commercials. Wendy's marketing strategy has been targeting young people to a fault. It's simply untrue to say that Wendy targets an aging demo

1 hour ago, Peypeypeypey said:

It's simply untrue to say that Wendy targets an aging demo

I'm not talking about the Wendy's hamburgers corporation and marketing dept.

I'm talking about Wendy Thomas.

The Wendy's Logo is a picture of Wendy Thomas. Wendy Thomas is 51 years old.

In my view, Wendy Thomas is the advertising mascot of Wendy's.  Either you are unaware of the history behind the Wendy's logo, or you view it differently (which is fine).

7 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

Besides, one of the rules of the CBUB lately has been no real people, so it really doesn't make sense to use the real Wendy and not the mascot

Colonel Sanders - real person and used in CBUB matches. Also... advertising mascot.

27 minutes ago, Fox said:

I'm not talking about the Wendy's hamburgers corporation and marketing dept.

I'm talking about Wendy Thomas.

The Wendy's Logo is a picture of Wendy Thomas. Wendy Thomas is 51 years old.

In my view, Wendy Thomas is the advertising mascot of Wendy's.  Either you are unaware of the history behind the Wendy's logo, or you view it differently (which is fine).

24 minutes ago, Fox said:

Colonel Sanders - real person and used in CBUB matches. Also... advertising mascot.

It's definitely a caricature of her that's the actual mascot though. It's based on her, but it's not her. Colonel Sanders is the perfect example for this actually. You wouldn't say "Well, Colonel Sanders is dead, so he couldn't sell this." If he were in this challenge, you would use the version of him that's the real mascot, which is based on him, but an entirely separate entity with its own personality and marketing strategy. Wendy's brands the Wendy icon as a hip, young, cool, snarky twitter/social media personality who gets into beef online, releases mixed tapes, and is generally rude and roasts people. The actual Wendy is such a distinct entity that they rolled out an entirely different advertising line, divorced from the mascot, when she came back to do some commercials. They are separate entities

6 minutes ago, Peypeypeypey said:

It's definitely a caricature of her that's the actual mascot though. It's based on her, but it's not her. Colonel Sanders is the perfect example for this actually. You wouldn't say "Well, Colonel Sanders is dead, so he couldn't sell this." If he were in this challenge, you would use the version of him that's the real mascot, which is based on him, but an entirely separate entity with its own personality and marketing strategy. Wendy's brands the Wendy icon as a hip, young, cool, snarky twitter/social media personality who gets into beef online, releases mixed tapes, and is generally rude and roasts people. The actual Wendy is such a distinct entity that they rolled out an entirely different advertising line, divorced from the mascot, when she came back to do some commercials. They are separate entities

OK, I admit I'm not that up on Wendy's, so thanks for that.

That said, can you explain to me how Segata Sanshiro's bit of beating people up and forcing them to wear disposable underwear sells?

I'm still leaning Wendy's. If they are indeed as hip, rude and irreverent as you suggest then there might be a place for Bic disposable underwear in that shtick.

1 hour ago, Fox said:

OK, I admit I'm not that up on Wendy's, so thanks for that.

That said, can you explain to me how Segata Sanshiro's bit of beating people up and forcing them to wear disposable underwear sells?

I'm still leaning Wendy's. If they are indeed as hip, rude and irreverent as you suggest then there might be a place for Bic disposable underwear in that shtick.

Lol, I'm not so much arguing for Segata here. I was just jokin' earlier with that. I just wanted to clarify about Wendy

8 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

Dude, the Wendy character is supposed to be like 8. That's disgusting.

Does she look 8 in the fan art to you? 🙄

You know, it might actually be a more effective selling strategy for a mascot to slap their name and logo onto the underwear than to model it.

To that end, Wendy has the more recognizable brand and logo, so she probably has a better chance here.

4 hours ago, DSkillz said:

You know, it might actually be a more effective selling strategy for a mascot to slap their name and logo onto the underwear than to model it.

To that end, Wendy has the more recognizable brand and logo, so she probably has a better chance here.

1. Is there any actual evidence for this?

2. Even if it is true, I think it actually favors Segata far more than Wendy. Sega is a video game company, Wendy's is a restaurant. I see far more people in Sega merch than I do in Wendy's merch because people are more likely to identify with that brand

10 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

1. Is there any actual evidence for this?

Well, yeah. Unless it's lingerie or the like, we don't typically see a lot of famous faces model underwear in the first place. I don't know about you, but I find that mascots that could model clothing and few and far between. You're much more likely to see the brand name the mascot's pushing on the underwear itself and its packinging, and in the case of mascots, their very images printed on the same. 

10 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

2. Even if it is true, I think it actually favors Segata far more than Wendy. Sega is a video game company, Wendy's is a restaurant. I see far more people in Sega merch than I do in Wendy's merch because people are more likely to identify with that brand

Eh, that's more of the Sega brand itself doing the selling. I hate to say it, but I had all but completely forgot about Segata until he being used in these Drafts (sorry, Z). By herself, the Wendy mascot and icon are a generally more popular commodity.

14 hours ago, UMPIRE said:

Match Final Results

Segata Sanshiro: 3
Wendy: 11

See how fan art helps. 😁

• Haha 1