MATCH SCORE
Team Fortress 2: 0
Inhumanoids: 3

Match 16932 Ibuki vs. Athena Asamiya

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART 156

740928146_karinandibuki.jpg.46aa13fb97e334c154c36c31690fdae9.jpg

Inside a cave nearby the remains of what used to be her village, the exorcist, Mina Makijina, did her best to put down the spunky ninja, Ibuki with her bow.  (REF: IBUKI VS. MINA MAKIJINA) Unfortunately for her, Ibuki proved to be just too fast for her. 

Ibuki ducked under an errant arrow that then stuck into the wall. She then jumped into the air and threw knives at Mina’s feet. Mina jumped backward and lost her balance a bit. Ibuki performed a jump kick that struck Mina in the jaw, she then went behind Mina,grabbed her arm, and slammed the eyepatched warrior to the ground. Ibuki followed up with a flurry of ground kicks and dropped a small bomb on Mina. The resulting explosion launched Mina into the air where she lost the grip on her bow before crashing back down to the ground. Ibuki threw more knives at the downed Mina, and did so strategically to pin down her opponent. Mina wasn’t wearing much clothing, but Ibuki threw knives wherever she saw cloth to make Mina immobile. Mina was unable to put up much resistance as the battle had taken too much out of her.

“Mina! Mina!” the diminutive Chample cried out 

“Do what you will against me, please just don’t hurt Chample,” Mina pleaded after a small amount of struggle to get free.

“Geez, you can keep your pet. It’s not that big of a deal,” replied Ibuki. She glanced over at some of the arrows stuck in the cave wall. “I do think I will take some of your arrows though. They look really cool and rustic. I bet Eiko will get a real kick out of them.”

Ibuki dislodged some of the arrows and then hid them in her uniform. She exited the cave and Mina was left to wonder about what had just transpired. Ibuki soon caught up with the rest of her class and returned with them back to her school campus.

Ibuki didn’t waste any time after school, going straight to the museum to show off her artifact trophies to her friend and secret crush, Eiko. 

“Where did you get those from, Ibuki? I don’t think I've ever seen arrows like them before?” Eiko asked after inspecting them.

Ibuki told the story of her class trip to the decimated village on the Ryukyu islands and crossing paths with the mysterious archer to Eiko.

“Wow! If I didn’t know any better I would have said you fought the legendary Mina Makijina. According to legend, she was an exorcist from that village who used to use her arrows to eradicate demons.” Eiko looked over the arrows some more. “Of course it’s just a story and there is no way she would still be alive in this day and age. Still, it is highly likely this weaponry was inspired by her story, if it is not outright the actual arrows from Mina’s bow that have been handed down from generation to generation. Amazing. It will require some further verification, of course, but you may have come across some real history here, Ibuki.”

Ibuki blushed. “It was nothing.”

“I wonder if I can get it authenticated before the next time that Athena comes through town on tour,” Eiko thought out loud.

“Wait? What?”

‘You know Athena Asamiya, the pop star, turns out she is a big history buff. She stopped by the museum the last time she was in town and her knowledge blew me away. She especially loves legends of old, this will be right up her alley,” Eiko explained.

Ibuki was crestfallen. “So you want to use these arrows to try and impress her?”

“No, of course not, well, I mean, yeah I do. I kind of have a big crush on her,” admitted Eiko.

“Why?”

“She’s an incredible singer, an amazing fighter, and she loves a great story. I don’t know if I could imagine a more perfect woman," stated Eiko.

Ibuki tried her best to hide her heartbreak and be supportive. “Yeah, I guess she is pretty unique that way.”

“I am so glad you brought these arrows to me,” Eiko remarked with excitement.

Ibuki was less enthusiastic. “Yeah, me too.”

Shortly thereafter, Ibuki left the museum and flew into a jealous rage. Obviously, she knew of Athena but had never met the teen idol. Ibuki had heard that Athena was a fighter, yet never took it seriously because Athena participated in what Ibuki viewed as an inferior martial arts tournament. Perhaps Eiko just didn’t know that, and if Ibuki could show him that Athena was not the fighter that he thought she was, then maybe it would remove some of the shine he had placed on her.

With her mind filled with ideas and questions, Ibuki turned to the only person she knew that could possibly know Athena Asamiya as well, and that was Karin Kanzuki. She quickly dialed up her summer employer.

“I have come across Athena once or twice but I wouldn’t say that I know her,” informed Karin over the phone. “As luck would have it though she is currently at my estate right now.”

“Really?”

“Yes.” Karin went on to explain the potentially dangerous situation the world was in and how it was bringing together both fighters from the World Warrior tournament and the King of Fighters, (REF: ATHENA ASAMIYA VS. CHAI XIANGHUA) but Ibuki stopped paying attention.

“I am sure you remember how to get there, right? If you wanted to join the cause I am sure the others would appreciate your help,” said Karin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kanzuki-estate.jpg.ccf0715e7166836df5dfa1a89e51e160.jpg

In a hallway of the massive Kanzuki estate, Honoka and Kolin battled despite their somewhat cramped surroundings. (REF: KOLIN VS. HONOKA) Honoka sidestepped a flurry of ice strikes from Kolin and hit the blonde bruiser with a flurry of her own snake boxing strikes she had learned from fighting the assassin, Christie. Honoka then transitioned into a Jeet Kune Do punching combo she had learned from watching Jann Lee that ended with a back hand strike that sent Kolin crashing against the wall. Honoka did not let up and performed a series of two running dropkicks that she had learned from fighting La Mariposa, followed by La Mariposa’s capoeira inspired swinging leg sweep. Kolin could not keep up with the transitioning styles and was absorbing a lot of punishment. Honoka shouted with excitement as she then utilized the newest move in her arsenal on Kolin as the fighter tried to recover. Honoka executed a decent fascilime of E. Honda’s 100 hand slap. (REF: HONOKA VS. E. HONDA) Kolin lurched backward dazed from rapid fire technique. Honoka grabbed her opponent before Kolin could fall and lifted her onto her shoulder. She then jumped backward and drove Kolin’s spine hard into the ground.

Honoka quickly returned to her feet ready to continue, but Kolin remained on the ground.The two female combatants were then joined by Ken Masters and Kyo Kusanagi who were drawn in by the noise.

“Not a bad set of moves you got there,” Ken commented.

Honoka smiled. “Thanks.”

“You win Ken, Iori and his friend here are out,” stated Kyo as he looked down at the defeated Kolin. (REF: KEN MASTERS VS. IORI YAGAMI) “Although, from what I can tell we still have the better fighters.”

“That is what I am seeing,” Ken confirmed.

Elsewhere in the mansion, inside a massive study, Athena looked up from the book she was reading about the legends of Soul Edge.

“What is it?” Ryu, who was also reading from a text, wondered.

“I thought I heard someone calling my name,” replied Athena. “It sounded like Honoka the first time… this time I’m not sure.”

“Were you ignoring it before?” asked Ryu.

“Honoka is a real sweetheart, and I appreciate all her kind words, but we need to focus on the danger ahead. I didn’t think I could do that with her around,” Athena explained.

“I understand,” stated Ryu.

“That voice was different. I hope everything is ok.” Athena briefly hesitated. “I’m going to go check it out.”

Athena exited the Kanzuki study and walked down the hall and into another wide open room with tables, a chandelier, and a grand piano.

A voice echoed throughout the room. “Athena, over here.”

Athena walked further into the room. Ibuki descended from above and blocked the doorway out.

“Ha! You fell right into my trap!” Ibuki boasted.

“What is going on? Who are you?”

“I’m the girl that is going to kick your butt, and when Eiko finds out he will realize you’re not that special,” Ibuki informed.

Athena was confused. “Wait, when who finds out?”

Ibuki ignored this and followed up with a question of her own. “What even is a psycho soldier? Does that mean you are in the crazy army?” 

“There is no need to be rude. We are psychic warriros,” Athena answered.

Ibuki was dismissive. “Sounds lame. Also, why can't you just stick with a hairstyle? Whatever. Your magic tricks are nothing against my ninja moves and I’ll prove it.”

“I still don’t understand why…”

Before Athena could finish, Ibuki launched an attack on her.

I gotta go with Ibuki here. The girl is insanely fast and she's an adequate enough ninja to where she was able to help out with Interpol and other Street Fighters in their final battle against Shadaloo.

Another good set-up, Johnny. Entertaining break from the main storyline. 

As for the match, Athena's got some good and powerful moves, but I too think Ibuki's too quick for her. Problem for Ibuki is that she stands a good chance of losing Eiko as a friend in the process. 

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
4.30 - DSkillz
4.90 - leroypowell3
4.30 - Pizzaguy2995

FPA Calculation:
3 Total Votes cast
13.50 Total Combined Score
13.50 / 3 = 4.50 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Ibuki: 5
Athena Asamiya: 1