Helena Shaw vs. Lori Quaid
MATCH SCORE
Helena Shaw: 2
Lori Quaid: 3

Rumble 20533 Demoman vs. Ogra
MATCH SCORE
Demoman: 0
Ogra: 3

10:11 - Popeye vs. Bubbles (Powerpuff Girls)

SEASON 10, ROUND 11

Popeye

Slot: The Team's cartoon character from Hanna-Barbera, MGM, United, Universal, Paramount or Terry studios
Season Wins: 2
Season Losses: 1
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Popeye at Wikipedia
Official Site: King Features Syndicate

Bubbles (Powerpuff Girls)

Slot: The Team's cartoon character from Hanna-Barbera, MGM, United, Universal, Paramount or Terry studios
Season Wins: 2
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Bubbles (Powerpuff Girls) at Wikipedia
Official Site: Cartoon Network

Battle Terrain
Cartoon Episode: The Fox Hunters

Bubbles will definitely try and befriend the Fox.

Popeye will go about it more traditionally. Bubbles is not really the outwitting type, but neither is Popeye. This is a tough one.

Yeah, neither character is particularly known for using their cunning, at least in this fashion, and would be more likely to remove the fox from the equation altogether. 

Bubbles would start out trying to, as mentioned, befriend the fox. Meanwhile, Popeye would actively be trying to catch it, and would likely come very close at least once. Both Popeye and Bubbles would eventually get mad at the fox, but while Bubbles finally goes after it trying to catch it, Popeye would finally eat his spinach, then swoop in and get the job done first. 

Popeye might even come out with a new fox fur in hand to give to Olive Oil. :) 

Bubbles could win it in less a second honestly. She’s literally flew around the globe in about 3 seconds, so the second that fox pisses her off he’ll be in a steel trap cage before he can even blink! Now there is some merit to the argument she’ll try to befriend it first, but again the second she realizes the Fox doesn’t want to be friends with her she can easily speed blitz it into any sort of cage she desires.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Bubbles could win it in less a second honestly. She’s literally flew around the globe in about 3 seconds, so the second that fox pisses her off he’ll be in a steel trap cage before he can even blink! Now there is some merit to the argument she’ll try to befriend it first, but again the second she realizes the Fox doesn’t want to be friends with her she can easily speed blitz it into any sort of cage she desires.

Eh, the fox's cunning and toon force may be enough to at least delay Bubble's retribution. This may give Popeye enough time to take the antidote for both toon force and villainous cunning to complete the task himself: his spinach. 

3 minutes ago, DSkillz said:

Eh, the fox's cunning and toon force may be enough to at least delay Bubble's retribution. This may give Popeye enough time to take the antidote for both toon force and villainous cunning to complete the task himself: his spinach. 

Does his spinach increase his speed any? It better because once Bubbles gets serious she can literally move faster then most humans can even think! Also how exactly will toon force help the Fox against a Powerpuff girl? Not only is she FTL speed but she also has X-Ray vision so he has no way of hiding from her!

10 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Does his spinach increase his speed any? It better because once Bubbles gets serious she can literally move faster then most humans can even think!

The spinach grants Popeye whatever speed, strength, smarts, etc. it takes to win the day. It's basically toon force and deus ex machina (which I guess are kinda the same thing) in a can. 

13 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Also how exactly will toon force help the Fox against a Powerpuff girl? Not only is she FTL speed but she also has X-Ray vision so he has no way of hiding from her!

The thing about toon force is that it usually takes more toon force to counter it.

5 minutes ago, DSkillz said:

The spinach grants Popeye whatever speed, strength, smarts, etc. it takes to win the day. It's basically toon force and deus ex machina (which I guess are kinda the same thing) in a can. 

Does it make him fast enough to run around the globe in 3 seconds? Cause that’s as fast as he’ll need to go in order to get the Fox before Bubbles does.

6 minutes ago, DSkillz said:

The thing about toon force is that it usually takes more toon force to counter it.

And what toon force has that Fox shown us exactly? Anything that can counteract FTL speeds or X-Ray vision? 

1 hour ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Does it make him fast enough to run around the globe in 3 seconds? Cause that’s as fast as he’ll need to go in order to get the Fox before Bubbles does.

It will if winning the day requires him to. Popeye's been known to even alter reality when he takes spinach. Bubbles and the rest of the Powerpuff Girls, meanwhile, have needed help from others on quite a few occasions to win, while Popeye only needs his spinach well over 99% of the time.

And what toon force has that Fox shown us exactly? Anything that can counteract FTL speeds or X-Ray vision? 

Basically whatever was required of him to escape, he managed to produce from toon force. This may also include trapping her in fly paper, a known weakness of the the Girls. Also, he may be cunning enough to calm Bubble out of the rage he'd induce her into via his hijinks (she is pretty naive, after all). 

The argument that Bubbles would just speedblitz is silly. That's just not how the PPG deal with things, and Bubbles especially, the most naive and easy to manipulate, wouldn't be one to just speedblitz everyone. Even if she did successfully capture the bunny Fox, which I don't know that she could do given her naiveté and his wit, Spinach-amped Popeye would throttle Bubbles. As far as I can tell, Popeye has far superior toon-feats and physical feats in every category except speed, but again, none of the PPG enemies are shown to be anywhere near as fast as the PPG's fastest and they are able to overpower or at least match the girls in combat all the time. Popeye should win 

2 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

The argument that Bubbles would just speedblitz is silly. That's just not how the PPG deal with things, and Bubbles especially, the most naive and easy to manipulate, wouldn't be one to just speedblitz everyone. Even if she did successfully capture the bunny Fox, which I don't know that she could do given her naiveté and his wit, Spinach-amped Popeye would throttle Bubbles. As far as I can tell, Popeye has far superior toon-feats and physical feats in every category except speed, but again, none of the PPG enemies are shown to be anywhere near as fast as the PPG's fastest and they are able to overpower or at least match the girls in combat all the time. Popeye should win 

So it’s silly to assume Bubbles could speed blitz the Fox but it’s not silly to assume said Fox could evade an FTL speed characters with X-Ray vision because he’s witty? And the fuck you talking about Popeye throttling Bubbles? Bubbles and her sisters casually lift airplanes, battleships, and giant monsters! In one episode a giant octopus the size of a skyscraper fell flat on top of Bubbles and she was literally not even slightly hurt! Either name me one feat of Popeye that even comes close to Bubbles confirmed feats or stfu dude. Your embarrassing yourself.

8 hours ago, DSkillz said:

It will if winning the day requires him to. Popeye's been known to even alter reality when he takes spinach. Bubbles and the rest of the Powerpuff Girls, meanwhile, have needed help from others on quite a few occasions to win, while Popeye only needs his spinach well over 99% of the time.

And what will he do if the Fox swipes his spinach? You yourself said the Fox was smart and cunning, whose to say he doesn’t just take Popeye’s spinach before he can eat it? That’s no more difficult then trying to evade an FTL speed and X-Ray vision Powerpuff girl! 

8 hours ago, DSkillz said:

Basically whatever was required of him to escape, he managed to produce from toon force. This may also include trapping her in fly paper, a known weakness of the the Girls. Also, he may be cunning enough to calm Bubble out of the rage he'd induce her into via his hijinks (she is pretty naive, after all). 

Again what seems more likely, that this Fox somehow has the foresight to pack a fly paper, something he’s never shown to pack before, or that he swipes Popeye’s spinach? Which sounds more likely? Also I’m assuming the scenario starts with both contestants being told that they need to capture the Fox so Bubbles knows the Fox is the villain here and once she knows that she won’t be willing to let him trick her into not taking him in. Again I’m not denying Bubbles is probably the most naive of her sisters, but I have never seen one episode where she let’s a known villain go, she’s nice but she’s not stupid! 

I feel like speed and strength feats are irrelevant when the challenge is to outwit both their opponent and the fox.

45 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

So it’s silly to assume Bubbles could speed blitz the Fox but it’s not silly to assume said Fox could evade an FTL speed characters with X-Ray vision because he’s witty? And the fuck you talking about Popeye throttling Bubbles? Bubbles and her sisters casually lift airplanes, battleships, and giant monsters! In one episode a giant octopus the size of a skyscraper fell flat on top of Bubbles and she was literally not even slightly hurt! Either name me one feat of Popeye that even comes close to Bubbles confirmed feats or stfu dude. Your embarrassing yourself.

Lol I'm embarrassing myself? Let's look over at Popeye's Vs. Battle Wiki page real quick. Oh, what's this? At least 3 listed feats of him moving stars, and several more of him damaging them? Man, it would be really embarrassing if I acted all high-and-mighty about someone lifting airplanes when they're fighting a toon force user who can affect stars, wouldn't it?

And yes, again, that is silly. That's not how the Powerpuff Girls fight, and it's especially not how Bubbles fights. They don't use their FTL speed to speedblitz people and like I said, 90% of their opponents who give them a hard time aren't anywhere near as fast as they are

30 minutes ago, Twogunkid said:

I feel like speed and strength feats are irrelevant when the challenge is to outwit both their opponent and the fox.

Well the problem is I doubt either Bubbles or Popeye can really outwit the Fox so I’m thinking it’ll come down to who can catch it first.

7 minutes ago, Peypeypeypey said:

Lol I'm embarrassing myself? Let's look over at Popeye's Vs. Battle Wiki page real quick. Oh, what's this? At least 3 listed feats of him moving stars, and several more of him damaging them? Man, it would be really embarrassing if I acted all high-and-mighty about someone lifting airplanes when they're fighting a toon force user who can affect stars, wouldn't it?

And yes, again, that is silly. That's not how the Powerpuff Girls fight, and it's especially not how Bubbles fights. They don't use their FTL speed to speedblitz people and like I said, 90% of their opponents who give them a hard time aren't anywhere near as fast as they are

Yeah your embarrassing yourself because every time I try to use the VS Battle Wiki against your characters you try to discredit the website and insult me for trying to use it in my argument! But the second the website can be useful to you, you use to try to try to insist your guy can win! Is VS Battle Wiki a creditable website or not?

I find it also embarrassing that in the past you’ve ridiculed me for using “outliner feats” in arguments but here you are arguing Popeye is a star buster character because a website you have discredited several times before says that he is! Heck your doing it right now! Yes 90% of the girls don’t speed blitz their opponents just like 90% of the time Popeye can barely lift a house! 

So by your own logic Popeye can’t be a star buster because 90% of the time he isn’t right? It’s either that or we count outliner feats and in that case it’s perfectly fair for me to say Bubbles speed blitz’s and catches the Fox before Popeye can even blink! 

I think Popeye is significantly stronger, from what I can find.

Here's a gif of him hitting the sun, sans Spinach.

Here another of him shooting the sun

I've attached another list of popeye feats.

Here's another thread you can go through: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/deletecombine-pages-3/superman-vs-popeye-704915/

Some serious feats in his favor.

I think Popeye is stronger no matter what you're looking at. 

I also think he's less naive? Though someone can maybe find evidence that he is. I always thought Popeye was pretty straightforward and didn't really get fooled.

3913438-3485988-2896473-1347672827716 (1).jpg

14 hours ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

... but again the second she realizes the Fox doesn’t want to be friends with her she can easily speed blitz it into any sort of cage she desires.

Come to think of it, merely putting a character such as this fox in a cage likely wouldn't work. It would have to be something that could contain a 'toon, something that Popeye's been known to produce with his bare hands and even his punches, both with and without spinach. 

5 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

... Spinach-amped Popeye would throttle Bubbles.

Don't know about the throttling bit myself. Not that Popeye isn't physically capable, but he doesn't hurt girls as a rule. 

2 hours ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

And what will he do if the Fox swipes his spinach? You yourself said the Fox was smart and cunning, whose to say he doesn’t just take Popeye’s spinach before he can eat it? That’s no more difficult then trying to evade an FTL speed and X-Ray vision Powerpuff girl! 

The rare times Popeye's lost his spinach were by accident or happenstance. AFAIK, no one's actually swiped it from him. 

2 hours ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Again what seems more likely, that this Fox somehow has the foresight to pack a fly paper, something he’s never shown to pack before, or that he swipes Popeye’s spinach? Which sounds more likely?

Having the tools for the job isn't usually about foresight for toons; toon force allows them to literally pull them out of hammerspace if need be. As mentioned, the only counter for this is a stronger toon force. 

3 hours ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Also I’m assuming the scenario starts with both contestants being told that they need to capture the Fox so Bubbles knows the Fox is the villain here and once she knows that she won’t be willing to let him trick her into not taking him in. Again I’m not denying Bubbles is probably the most naive of her sisters, but I have never seen one episode where she let’s a known villain go, she’s nice but she’s not stupid! 

Bubbles wouldn't even really have to be tricked into letting the Fox go; his words might just give her enough pause for Popeye to eat his spinach, and then he would likely catch up and swipe the Fox away. 

Also, I'm not sure Bubbles could keep him contained, anyway. 

13 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Yeah your embarrassing yourself because every time I try to use the VS Battle Wiki against your characters you try to discredit the website and insult me for trying to use it in my argument! But the second the website can be useful to you, you use to try to try to insist your guy can win! Is VS Battle Wiki a creditable website or not?

I find it also embarrassing that in the past you’ve ridiculed me for using “outliner feats” in arguments but here you are arguing Popeye is a star buster character because a website you have discredited several times before says that he is! Heck your doing it right now! Yes 90% of the girls don’t speed blitz their opponents just like 90% of the time Popeye can barely lift a house! 

So by your own logic Popeye can’t be a star buster because 90% of the time he isn’t right? It’s either that or we count outliner feats and in that case it’s perfectly fair for me to say Bubbles speed blitz’s and catches the Fox before Popeye can even blink! 

There are many issues here. First, I don't think I've ever insulted you. I may have sometimes said your arguments were not good, but if I ever have insulted you personally I shouldn't have done that and I apologize. Again, though, I don't think I ever have. Second, I've made my feelings about the Vs. Battle Wiki very clear: it can be very useful, taken in context, but it's not something that should be taken as gospel and its conclusions are often outlandish. I'm not linking to the Vs Battles Wiki to say "this page agrees with me," I'm just linking to a page that demonstrates a bunch of feats for him. I could just as easily link to a respect thread, the Wiki was just the first page I thought of. The place where the feats come from doesn't matter because I'm not relying on the Vs Battle Wiki to verify the feats. The interpretation of the feats is literal here. Before, I was arguing against the way the Vs Battle Wiki scales things/calculates things poorly. Here I literally just linked to them because they listed things he did and described them literally. Again, I could have linked the individual feats but this was just easier for me. All of my criticisms of the Wiki stand, but I've never said it's wholly uncredible at all. I have no idea where you got that

Also, the star-moving feats are both more impressive and more consistent than Bubbles' speed, which seems to be based on a single episode. The real problem isn't him moving stars though, it's that his punches when he's spinach infused can do basically anything. He can knock out his animator, he can punch lightning, he can knock people to the moon or around the world in a single punch, he can throw baseballs around the world, he can turn bulls into meat shops, he can turn jungle animals into clothing, he can turn people into money, etc. The star feats aren't really "outliers" because Popeye doesn't follow logic or continuity at all, they're just physically the most impressive, but honestly, him turning people into objects, completely defying physics, and hitting his animator are really not any less impressive. You can't really use logic like "outliers" or even "tiers" with Popeye because he abuses toon force about as heavily as Bugs does. Even if you argue he's not a star-buster, it's inarguable that he has much more experience dealing with toon force users than Bubbles and has been shown to be able to punch cartoon animals into clothing, so he could definitely just do that here

14 minutes ago, Peypeypeypey said:

There are many issues here. First, I don't think I've ever insulted you. I may have sometimes said your arguments were not good, but if I ever have insulted you personally I shouldn't have done that and I apologize. Again, though, I don't think I ever have. Second, I've made my feelings about the Vs. Battle Wiki very clear: it can be very useful, taken in context, but it's not something that should be taken as gospel and its conclusions are often outlandish. I'm not linking to the Vs Battles Wiki to say "this page agrees with me," I'm just linking to a page that demonstrates a bunch of feats for him. I could just as easily link to a respect thread, the Wiki was just the first page I thought of. The place where the feats come from doesn't matter because I'm not relying on the Vs Battle Wiki to verify the feats. The interpretation of the feats is literal here. Before, I was arguing against the way the Vs Battle Wiki scales things/calculates things poorly. Here I literally just linked to them because they listed things he did and described them literally. Again, I could have linked the individual feats but this was just easier for me. All of my criticisms of the Wiki stand, but I've never said it's wholly uncredible at all. I have no idea where you got that

Also, the star-moving feats are both more impressive and more consistent than Bubbles' speed, which seems to be based on a single episode. The real problem isn't him moving stars though, it's that his punches when he's spinach infused can do basically anything. He can knock out his animator, he can punch lightning, he can knock people to the moon or around the world in a single punch, he can throw baseballs around the world, he can turn bulls into meat shops, he can turn jungle animals into clothing, he can turn people into money, etc. The star feats aren't really "outliers" because Popeye doesn't follow logic or continuity at all, they're just physically the most impressive, but honestly, him turning people into objects, completely defying physics, and hitting his animator are really not any less impressive. You can't really use logic like "outliers" or even "tiers" with Popeye because he abuses toon force about as heavily as Bugs does. Even if you argue he's not a star-buster, it's inarguable that he has much more experience dealing with toon force users than Bubbles and has been shown to be able to punch cartoon animals into clothing, so he could definitely just do that here

It’s fine. Thank you for the apology but I think that it’s on me really. I guess I get a bit competitive during these debates and sometimes I just take things personally when they really shouldn’t be. Sorry if I acted a bit too haughtily when I replied to you earlier, I’ll try to avoid that in the future.

That being said I am sticking by my point that Bubbles will nab the Fox first. Maybe Popeye tune force can make him do anything he wants, but I’ve yet to see him move at FTL speeds and nothing on VS Battle Wiki indicates that he could. Yes Bubbles doesn’t usually speed blitz immediately but she has on occasion and I can show you the clips if needed. If it’s who can grab the Fox first then I’m sticking by the fastest character.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DSkillz said:

Come to think of it, merely putting a character such as this fox in a cage likely wouldn't work. It would have to be something that could contain a 'toon, something that Popeye's been known to produce with his bare hands and even his punches, both with and without spinach.

Okay but can she at least hold the Fox in her own hands? That would technically count as catching him right? If she blitzed the fox and physical holds him that should count as a win for her.

37 minutes ago, DSkillz said:

The rare times Popeye's lost his spinach were by accident or happenstance. AFAIK, no one's actually swiped it from him. 

Well Bubbles has never been evaded before, by a Fox or otherwise. All I’m asking is what seems harder for the Fox: hiding from an FTL speed girl with X-Ray vision or swiping a can of spinach from a one eyed sailor?

40 minutes ago, DSkillz said:

Bubbles wouldn't even really have to be tricked into letting the Fox go; his words might just give her enough pause for Popeye to eat his spinach, and then he would likely catch up and swipe the Fox away. 

Also, I'm not sure Bubbles could keep him contained, anyway. 

What exactly could he say to her? Again I’m assuming the match starts with both combatants being told to catch the Fox and presumably being told that said Fox will say anything to get away. And even if he did couldn’t I make the same argument against Popeye as well? The Sailor isn’t exactly the brightest bulb either. Like you said at the beginning Popeye would be trying to catch the Fox the traditional way and failing while Bubbles would be trying to befriend it. You also mentioned that both would ultimately save their trump cards for when they ultimately lose their patience with the Fox. The only problem is that in the seconds it’ll take Popeye to chew and swallow the spinach Bubbles will have already blitzed and caught the Fox first. Earning her the win.

21 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

It’s fine. Thank you for the apology but I think that it’s on me really. I guess I get a bit competitive during these debates and sometimes I just take things personally when they really shouldn’t be. Sorry if I acted a bit too haughtily when I replied to you earlier, I’ll try to avoid that in the future.

That being said I am sticking by my point that Bubbles will nab the Fox first. Maybe Popeye tune force can make him do anything he wants, but I’ve yet to see him move at FTL speeds and nothing on VS Battle Wiki indicates that he could. Yes Bubbles doesn’t usually speed blitz immediately but she has on occasion and I can show you the clips if needed. If it’s who can grab the Fox first then I’m sticking by the fastest character.

I feel you my guy. Sometimes things get heated. I try to keep it civil but I'm sorry I was being condescending or anything. I'll try to work on it too

25 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Okay but can she at least hold the Fox in her own hands? That would technically count as catching him right? If she blitzed the fox and physical holds him that should count as a win for her.

I'd have to think that the objective is for the Fox to stay caught, and Popeye can produce the tools to get the job done.

36 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Well Bubbles has never been evaded before, by a Fox or otherwise. All I’m asking is what seems harder for the Fox: hiding from an FTL speed girl with X-Ray vision or swiping a can of spinach from a one eyed sailor?

Eh, I'm pretty sure villains have evaded the Girls before, at least initially. Popeye, though, has never had his spinach swiped.

39 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

What exactly could he say to her? Again I’m assuming the match starts with both combatants being told to catch the Fox and presumably being told that said Fox will say anything to get away. And even if he did couldn’t I make the same argument against Popeye as well? The Sailor isn’t exactly the brightest bulb either.

I don't know if they'd be getting knowledge on exactly how cunning the Fox is, but Bubbles has, at least initially, been swayed/fooled by villains before. Popeye, while definitely not bright himself, has never been swayed to my knowledge.

2 hours ago, DSkillz said:

I'd have to think that the objective is for the Fox to stay caught, and Popeye can produce the tools to get the job done.

Your argument hinges on Popeye being able to produce a cage with his bare hands. How do you know he could do that? Has he ever tried to trap another character with toon force like said Fox? How do you know he won’t escape it like he would escape Bubbles? And don’t say that because he can break the fourth he can do that. That’s like saying Deadpool can break the fourth wall therefore he can beat Thanos, Galactus, and the Beyonder all at once!

2 hours ago, DSkillz said:

Eh, I'm pretty sure villains have evaded the Girls before, at least initially. Popeye, though, has never had his spinach swiped.

But you admitted earlier he lost or misplaced the spinach several times. Your also the one saying this Fox is so wiley and smart! Your saying Popeye is absent minded enough to misplace his ultimate weapon, but not enough to lose it to the Fox? Again assuming the combatants are told before hand about the Foxes previous actions, I can’t imagine Bubbles would fall for it for long. At the very least not before Popeye spent a while trying to catch it without using his spinach.

46 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Your argument hinges on Popeye being able to produce a cage with his bare hands. How do you know he could do that? Has he ever tried to trap another character with toon force like said Fox? How do you know he won’t escape it like he would escape Bubbles? And don’t say that because he can break the fourth he can do that. That’s like saying Deadpool can break the fourth wall therefore he can beat Thanos, Galactus, and the Beyonder all at once!

I'm going to have to switch from this ancient desktop to my slightly-less ancient laptop to look up more Popeye feats, so I'll have to get to this point later. My bad.

But you admitted earlier he lost or misplaced the spinach several times. Your also the one saying this Fox is so wiley and smart! Your saying Popeye is absent minded enough to misplace his ultimate weapon, but not enough to lose it to the Fox? Again assuming the combatants are told before hand about the Foxes previous actions, I can’t imagine Bubbles would fall for it for long. At the very least not before Popeye spent a while trying to catch it without using his spinach.

Popeye never lost his spinach out of absent-mindedness, either; the few times he lost the spinach, it was generally knocked out of his hand mid-fight. He always managed to get to and eat it, though. I guarantee you the Fox isn't going to try to fight the Sailor.

As for the Fox's cunning, it likely wouldn't be all that long before Popeye realizes his normal abilities may not be enough to catch it and resort to the spinach, either. So the Fox might even have to deal with both an angry Bubbles and a spinach-infused Popeye at about the same time.