Slot: The Team's Master Detective
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about John Constantine at this Wiki
Official Site: DC Comics

Battle Terrain
Detective Challenge: Art Heist

Constantine’s best attributes for this stuff are perceptiveness, connections, resourcefulness, and general knowledge. The Riddler is an extremely unsubtle villain, and Constantine has a lot of connections to lean on o win this match.

The funny thing is that Riddler is often depicted as being on Batman's intellectual level. He caught a serial killer slightly faster than Bruce, for example. If he didn't have the compulsive need to leave riddles and clues he would be very high on the villain pantheon, but that defining characteristic kind of seals his fate here

I've always liked the Riddler as a character.  And this particular challenges is very within his MO.

I just wish there was a more edgy version of the Riddler with a broader definition of what the riddle is.

I will reference Silence of the Lambs.  A giant death-head moth shoved down victims throats is the riddle.  Or, perhaps Twin Peaks where only an autopsy could discover the riddle.  A Elseworlds or Vertigo version of this character, I guess.

Anyways, the Riddler's riddles are challenging to Batman, and Constantine aint no Batman.  So I lean Riddler.

13 hours ago, Fox said:

I've always liked the Riddler as a character.  And this particular challenges is very within his MO.

I just wish there was a more edgy version of the Riddler with a broader definition of what the riddle is.

I will reference Silence of the Lambs.  A giant death-head moth shoved down victims throats is the riddle.  Or, perhaps Twin Peaks where only an autopsy could discover the riddle.  A Elseworlds or Vertigo version of this character, I guess.

Anyways, the Riddler's riddles are challenging to Batman, and Constantine aint no Batman.  So I lean Riddler.

I'm with Fox on this one fellas. Riddler is much more dangerous and cunning than he is sometimes portrayed. This would be a win for him at least 7/10

38 minutes ago, SSJRuss said:

I'm with Fox on this one fellas. Riddler is much more dangerous and cunning than he is sometimes portrayed. This would be a win for him at least 7/10

14 hours ago, Fox said:

I agree The Riddler is smart and has some decent showings, but the vast majority of the time he leaves no doubt as to who committed the crime. He’s also one of the most easily thwarted Batman villains on a regular basis. I just don’t see how Constantine isn’t going to immediately know that the crime was committed by the Riddler.  Figuring out the Riddler shouldn’t be a problem for Constantine.

Furthermore, Constantine is who Batman consults if he needs occult help. He usually has to unravel conspiracies from the highest levels of demons, an art theft is more than in his wheelhouse.

3 hours ago, Magnamax said:

He’s also one of the most easily thwarted Batman villains on a regular basis. I just don’t see how Constantine isn’t going to immediately know that the crime was committed by the Riddler. 

The problem with The Riddler as a character is that his character concept cannot live up to his flawed execution by the people who write him in comics and shows.

The people who write him are not (by and large) supra-geniuses and clever as a fox, themselves.  And so, the riddles they write for the Riddler and capers they come up with are not challenging for people over the age of 10.

They can't execute the character concept as intended.  They don't have the wit.

My 2 cents.

2 hours ago, Fox said:

The problem with The Riddler as a character is that his character concept cannot live up to his flawed execution by the people who write him in comics and shows.

The people who write him are not (by and large) supra-geniuses and clever as a fox, themselves.  And so, the riddles they write for the Riddler and capers they come up with are not challenging for people over the age of 10.

They can't execute the character concept as intended.  They don't have the wit.

My 2 cents.

The problem with that is that you could make effectively the same argument for many characters in this slot, and especially for the detectives. The Detectives are all super-geniuses in their own right but we can't just blindly speculate which one is smarter based on what we imagine their characters should be like. They are as smart as they are written, and in this case, the Riddler is written to leave behind fairly easily solvable clues for his mysteries

3 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

The problem with that is that you could make effectively the same argument for many characters in this slot, and especially for the detectives. The Detectives are all super-geniuses in their own right but we can't just blindly speculate which one is smarter based on what we imagine their characters should be like. They are as smart as they are written, and in this case, the Riddler is written to leave behind fairly easily solvable clues for his mysteries

Indeed. It is unfortunate.