Slot: The Team's Master Criminal
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Hannibal Lecter at this Wiki
Official Site: Universal

Battle Terrain
Detective Challenge: The Puppetmaster

I don't know Renee Montoya specifically, but if Renee is anything like the OG Question, she shouldn't have much of a problem here. This is actually something that seems right up the original Question's alley. Hannibal is very smart, but not "comic book detective" smart

1 hour ago, Peypeypeypey said:

I don't know Renee Montoya specifically, but if Renee is anything like the OG Question, she shouldn't have much of a problem here. This is actually something that seems right up the original Question's alley. Hannibal is very smart, but not "comic book detective" smart

Why are we making the assumption that comic-book detectives are better than movie or TV detectives?

Would you also say that any comic-book detective is better than any film or TV version of Sherlock Holmes simply because they are in comic-books?  This seems an unreasonable position to take where "comic-book characters win!" and no further analysis is required.

Now, granted, Hannibal comes from reality-based films but also the original novels the films are based on. 

He is the character that Detectives go to when they can't figure it out, because he is smarter than the Detectives themselves.

Given how crazy intelligent he is, in this particular challenge I believe Hannibal can manipulate the scenario to his advantage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox said:

Why are we making the assumption that comic-book detectives are better than movie or TV detectives?

Would you also say that any comic-book detective is better than any film or TV version of Sherlock Holmes simply because they are in comic-books?  This seems an unreasonable position to take where "comic-book characters win!" and no further analysis is required.

Now, granted, Hannibal comes from reality-based films but also the original novels the films are based on. 

He is the character that Detectives go to when they can't figure it out, because he is smarter than the Detectives themselves.

Given how crazy intelligent he is, in this particular challenge I believe Hannibal can manipulate the scenario to his advantage.

I think you answered paragraphs 1 and 2 with paragraph 3. Comic Books take place in an absurd universe where literally anything is possible, and characters just work in all kinds of crazy ways. More grounded characters like Hannibal aren't really that impressive when your rogues gallery includes villains who are world-renowned criminals in a world of super-computer-brained robots, people dozens of times smarter than anyone ever born IRL, and aliens capable of reading minds and thinking in ataseconds. Very generally speaking, yes, I think the base line of comic book detective intelligence is much higher than that of other mediums, just like the base line of comic book character power is much higher than average. Batman would totally sweep the IRL Olympics in almost every category, but in DC's universe, that's just how strong a base human is. That doesn't automatically mean every comic book character wins against every non-comic-book character, but I never said "comic-book characters win automatically," in fact I didn't even say Renee specifically would win. I don't know Renee specifically very well.

Unfortunately, Hannibal's manipulation is off the charts to the point where people are told to be on the lookout when it comes to entering the area where his cell is located. If Renee is anything like the original Question, she's paranoid as all hell and due to that very susceptible to manipulation. Hannibal could very easily throw her off the trail, all while manipulating a politician.

While Hannibal is a great manipulator, I think Renee would be able to pick up on subtle clues that would lead back to him in the end. She isn't nearly as paranoid as Vic was, but she does call everything into question narrowing down ever possibility. I don't think shear manipulation would be enough to throw her off as she would assume someone is trying to manipulate the process to begin with.

She also tends to stick with her gut instinct so when she narrows down on Hannibal, I don't think anything he says would change her mind.

It would come down to a fight at that point and Hannibal wouldn't stand a chance there.