Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Rumble 20539 Whitespikes vs. The Xenomorphs
MATCH SCORE
Whitespikes: 0
The Xenomorphs: 3

Cameron Poe vs. Castor Troy
MATCH SCORE
Cameron Poe: 3
Castor Troy: 0

Raphael (Mirage) vs. Ken Masters
MATCH SCORE
Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

Match 16149 Baiken vs. Iroha

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART CXII

1311825508_danhibiki.jpg.46d41c0a94fc2f477283c31bf53631e1.jpg

Dan Hibiki had always resented Ryu. He resented him for all the reverence that everyone gave him and didn’t give to Dan, despite Dan feeling like a very accomplished martial artist in his own right. This feeling was compounded by the fact that Dan found Ryu to be an unfriendly nomadic loner not worthy of the adoration he received.

To try to better understand Ryu and the awe inspiring aura that surrounded him, Dan traveled to rural Japan to train for a few months. He settled in a small village and did his best to ingratiate himself to the locals as a skilled hero worthy of their respect to mixed results.

One day during a walk, Dan came across a badly injured crane.

“Oh you poor thing.” He picked up the ailing bird. “Don’t worry I will take care of you.”

Dan immediately returned home and paused his training for several days to nurse the crane back to health. He did not leave the bird’s side until he was convinced it would be able to take care of itself. When the time came that the crane’s injuries had sufficiently healed to Dan’s satisfaction, he opened the door and bowed respectfully to the majestic bird.

“You are free now,” he declared. “Go forth and prosper, but be careful out there and keep yourself safe.”

The crane did not move and instead just stared at Dan.
“You’re free,” he repeated and then gestured with his hand to the outside. “Go and do whatever cranes do.”

Still the crane did not move and kept its focus solely on Dan.

Dan grinned. “Are you trying to tell me you like it here? Got used to living with the great Dan Hibiki, have we?”

Suddenly, in a flash of white light the crane transformed into a beautiful green haired maiden. Dan immediately fainted.  The transformed crane quickly ran to Dan and stayed by his side until he regained consciousness.

“Master, you’re back,” she said with joy.

Dan popped up back to his feet. “Hold on, hold on, hold on. What’s going on here? Where did you come from? Did you just call me master?”

The woman nodded. “Yes. The kindness you have shown to me the last several days have proven to me that you are worthy of my love and devotion.”

“Huh?”

“I want to serve you faithfully as a way to pay you back for rescuing me and tending to me,” she explained.

“Serve me?” Dan massaged his temples in confusion as he tried to wrap his head around all of this new information. “So were you cursed by a witch or something? And she turned you into a bird?”

“No. I am a crane,” she answered. “My name is Iroha. I took this form to better serve you. I have found it the best way to pay back the kind hearted souls I have met in my life.”

Dan stammered. “You are gorgeous.”

“I am glad that you find this form pleasant. I will do my best to stay in it whenever I am in your presence,” Iroha promised.

“Thanks...I think...or maybe…I don’t know.” Dan’s confusion almost caused him to pass out again.

Iroha gasped. “Oh no master, you look like you may need some rest.”

Iroha scampered off and prepared Dan’s bed for him. Dan, still unsure if he was still dreaming or suffering from a concussion, agreed to take a nap. While he slept, Iroha cleaned his house and made him dinner. When he woke up, Dan decided to call his friend, Sakura, on advice on what to do. He hadn’t talked to her since she went in support of Karin Kanzuki, who was involved in some sort of charity exhibition match.  (REF: LILI ROCHEFORT VS. KARIN KANZUKI)

Sakura was her usual cheery self on the phone. “Dan, it’s so good to hear from you. I thought we were going to meet up in Brazil.”

Dan was distracted so he ignored the obvious hint. “How did the charity match go?” 

“It was a cool atmosphere, but unfortunately Karin lost,” Sakura informed. “Then somehow I ended up in a fight too, and I also lost.”  (REF: ASUKA KAZAMA VS. SAKURA KASUGANO)

“Oh no.”

“Yeah, I was down on myself for a little bit, but then I just turned it into more motivation to get even better, stronger,” stated Sakura. “What about you? How is your sabbatical going?”

Dan wanted to tell Sakura about Iroha, and the bizarre situation he now found himself in. But, he couldn’t do it. How could he? Where would he start? Would he tell her he was majorly attracted to this magical bird? What does that even mean? Would she judge him? 

“Dan, are you there?”

Dan decided against telling Sakura and pivoted instead. “It’s been an unbelievable journey. Like nothing I’ve experienced before. I feel like a different man.”

“That’s awesome. Let me know if you run into Ryu-san,” said Sakura. (REF: HUGO ANDORE VS. GIGAS)

“I will. Just wanted to catch up with you. Talk to you later, Sakura.” 

“Bye Dan.”

After Dan hung up the phone, he cursed his own insecurity preventing him from confiding in Sakura. He thought about reaching out to his other good friend, Blanka. He may better understand. Just the thought of his green skinned Brazilian friend suddenly reminded Dan of something he had forgotten. He quickly checked his calendar.  Dan had missed Blanka’s match against the fighting bear, Kuma, after he had promised Blanka and Sakura he would go.  (REF: KUMA VS. BLANKA)  Blanka would no doubt be upset with Dan right now and so Dan decided against reaching out to him either.

“Dinner is ready,” Iroha called out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

baiken-attacking-750x400.jpg.6fe7c8a323b1c96624c9fa44f84af9c3.jpg

Baiken entered the village still unsure of where she was or how she had gotten there.  (REF: HAYATE VS. RYO SAKAZAKI)  She had already visited a few other small towns and was told she was in Japan. But, this wasn’t the Japan she knew. The lack of answers was already beginning to irritate Baiken. As she walked around this new location she looked for visual clues, anything that would stand out. She started to formulate some theories in her head, but she wanted to be sure.

Baiken confronted the first local villager she came across. “You there. Where are the Gears? Why haven’t I seen any?”

She held her blade close to his throat.

He gulped hard. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. What gears?”

Baiken pressed closer with her blade. “Don’t play dumb with me!”

“I swear I don’t know what you’re talking about,” insisted the villager. “But maybe that Dan guy can help you.”

“Who is that Dan guy?” Baiken inquired.

“He is not from here, but he has been staying in our village for a while. Says he is some kind of hero, and if ever we were in need, he is the man to go to, that he has all the answers,” the villager responded.

“Very well, I will go find and talk to this Dan.” Baiken eased up with her katana. “Know this. If I find out you are lying to me about not knowing the Gears, I will carve you up into little pieces.”

“I believe you.”

Back at his house, Dan discovered that he greatly enjoyed Iroha’s cooking. If he could get over the initial weirdness of the situation, Dan could see himself very happy with Iroha by his side. Before he could ask for some more information from Iroha, there was a knock on his door,

“I will get it,” Iroha declared.

“No. No. Please let me,” stated Dan. He was a little nervous of what the locals would think, seeing this very noticeable woman who had seemingly appeared out of thin air. He wouldn’t be able to hide Iroha for long, but he needed to come up with a story.

Dan opened his door and outside the doorway stood an eyepatch wearing one-armed female samurai.

“Are you the one known as Dan Hiibki?” she asked.

“Yes, I am,” Dan answered. “I don’t believe I have seen you around here before. Who are you?’

“I am Baiken. I am not from around here. I need clarification on where this is.”

“This is my house. Do you have trouble seeing? Is that why you have the eyepatch?” Dan questioned.

“I mean is this really Japan? As in the Japan that was decimated by the Crusades? Are there really no Gears here?”

Dan did not understand a single word this stranger was saying. He noticed that her right arm was missing and figured she might be some unfortunate warrior going through a bizarre bit of PTSD. He felt compelled to help her as he had done Iroha.

Dan spoke softly. “I don’t know what you are saying, you are speaking gibberish. But, I can find you the help you really need. I am sure we can locate a hospital or some counselors…”

Baiken exploded in anger. “Don’t patronize me, Hibiki or I will cut you in half. This world is crazy not me!”

“Can you really do that with just one hand?” Dan sincerely wondered.

Baiken was unsure if Dan was negging her or if he was a buffoon, but she disliked him either way. “Yes, Would you like me to demonstrate?”

Baiken lifted up her katana and Dan jumped back.

“I’m coming to protect you master,” Iroha called out.

“No, Iroha, wait.”

Iroha quickly stepped in front of Dan in a protective stance. “You are making my master very uncomfortable, so I must insist that you leave immediately.”

Baiken scoffed. :I was told Dan Hibiki was a hero. Does he really resort to having his maid fight his battles?”

“No Iroha,” Dan pleaded. “I don’t want you to get hurt.”

Iroha pulled out two large butterfly swords. “Please allow me the honor of defending you.”

The sudden appearance of the massive blades rendered Dan speechless.

...I gotta give it to Iroha. She is such a sweetheart...

I mean, chances are Baiken is probably the overall better fighter, but I'm rooting for the underdog here. Go Iroha!

I have never played either game before. But based on the gameplay videos I’ve seen on YouTube, I just like Iroha better. She just seems to have a more balanced style that allows to attack up close, from a distance, and she move around the battlefield much more effectively. 

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
4.50 - SSJRuss
5.00 - Boratz
4.20 - Pizzaguy2995

FPA Calculation:
3 Total Votes cast
13.70 Total Combined Score
13.70 / 3 = 4.57 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Baiken: 5
Iroha: 2