Slot: The Team's Survivor
Season Wins: 1
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Lt. Ellen Ripley at this Wiki
Official Site: 20th Century Fox

Battle Terrain
Survival Challenge: Who survives Tremors

I think Rick takes this. If the goal was "Who can survive longest against the tremors alone," Ripley would win. But Rick is a leader, and he would be able to keep himself and many people alive as they figured out how to survive this. Ellen  isn't nearly as charismatic or as much of a leader as Rick, and that will cost her sincerely here

42 minutes ago, Peypeypeypey said:

I think Rick takes this. If the goal was "Who can survive longest against the tremors alone," Ripley would win. But Rick is a leader, and he would be able to keep himself and many people alive as they figured out how to survive this. Ellen  isn't nearly as charismatic or as much of a leader as Rick, and that will cost her sincerely here

Voting for Rick for this reason.

1 minute ago, Movie-Brat said:

Wait, she got this scenario last time and won. Forget charm, Ripley would warn and advise everyone what to do. 

She's doesn't have any more warning about this than Rick does. I don't think there's any implication that she would get the knowledge from last time

Again though, 

Just now, Movie-Brat said:

Ah but zombies are earthbound. Graboids are thinking monsters and so are Xenomorphs.

I wouldn't call Xenomorphs "thinking" necessarily. They're not very dissimilar to zombies honestly, except they're individually more powerful. But again, this challenge isn't really about fighting the Graboids head on, and Rick is far better at getting people to work with him

Just now, Movie-Brat said:

Really depends. Because iirc in Aliens, people paid the price not listening much to Ripley. 

Right, but they didn't listen to her. That's the point. There are a lot of people that should have been listened to, but that doesn't count as them being charismatic and good at getting people to work with them

In scenarios like this, I think survival and combat skills matter a lot more then charisma or leadership skills. Ripley might not be a leader but she’s survived and killed monsters that would have given Negan and the Governor nightmares. I like Rick, but killing slow moving, dumb zombies does not qualify one to take on Graboids.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

In scenarios like this, I think survival and combat skills matter a lot more then charisma or leadership skills. Ripley might not be a leader but she’s survived and killed monsters that would have given Negan and the Governor nightmares. I like Rick, but killing slow moving, dumb zombies does not qualify one to take on Graboids.

The first Tremors movie completely disproves this. No matter how strong or skilled you are, there's really no way to fight a Graboid 1 on 1 as a normal human with the standard equipment you find in a town. The way they win is by teaming up and figuring out a way to outsmart them, so Rick's skillset is 100% better suited for it

5 minutes ago, Peypeypeypey said:

The first Tremors movie completely disproves this. No matter how strong or skilled you are, there's really no way to fight a Graboid 1 on 1 as a normal human with the standard equipment you find in a town. The way they win is by teaming up and figuring out a way to outsmart them, so Rick's skillset is 100% better suited for it

Dude, Ripley has repeatedly taken out the Xenomorphs, creatures far more deadlier and smarter then the Graboids. The Graboids were killed off by a small group of ordinary townsfolk, the Xenomorphs wiped out a whole army of futuristic marines. Again, when has Rick ever fought anything like the Graboids? Nothing he’s encountered in the Walking Dead universe come even close to the Graboids or Xenomorphs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Dude, Ripley has repeatedly taken out the Xenomorphs, creatures far more deadlier and smarter then the Graboids. The Graboids were killed off by a small group of ordinary townsfolk, the Xenomorphs wiped out a whole army of futuristic marines. Again, when has Rick ever fought anything like the Graboids? Nothing he’s encountered in the Walking Dead universe come even close to the Graboids or Xenomorphs. 

First, I disagree that the Xenomorphs are any smarter than the Graboids. Deadlier in numbers, sure, but unless I'm severely underestimating how smart the Xenomorphs are, both are pretty animalistic in intelligence. In fact, doesn't the android in the first movie give a big speech about how great it is that the Xenomorph doesn't have higher intelligence like the humans do because it means it has no morals?

More importantly, you're completely ignoring all the context of the Alien movies, and the context of this match. In the first one, Ripley only really survives by luck. She obviously is skilled at survival and is smart and capable, but there are many times where she only really survived because the Xenomorph happened to go after someone other than her when they were all split up. In the second one, she did go up against a giant hive of them, but she wasn't alone, and she was very well-armed. That's not to downplay her survival, she's obviously badass and she outlives the marines, but again, I don't think she was more skilled than them. She outlived them through a combination of luck, wit, and already having knowledge of how the aliens work, as well as some of the marines sacrificing themselves so that she  (and others) could escape. 

In this scenario, without knowledge of the creatures, heavy futuristic guns, or a disposable crew to get killed before her, she wouldn't really have any of the things that ensured she could survive the first two Aliens movies. Granted, I don't remember the third one, but I'm pretty sure they were back down to just 1 Xenomorph in that one anyway, and I haven't seen any of the others but my point stands. Ripley survived the Xenomorphs through specific contextual means that she wouldn't have here, so claiming she should win this because she beat the Xenomorphs just doesn't work for me.

Ripley also has no real experience with the Graboids, and I see literally no reason why her experience with the Xenomorphs means anything here. She doesn't have any weaponry or knowledge of the creatures, and they act completely differently than the Xenomorphs, so she has exactly as much experience as Rick does. The Xenomorphs are more deadly than the zombies individually, sure, but that's not really the point. Both are smart and resourceful enough to figure out what the Graboids are and how they work. As you say, a bunch of townsfolk figure that out, but Rick is far more charismatic and would be able to rally more people to help him take them out, which is far more advantageous in a fight like this 

36 minutes ago, Peypeypeypey said:

First, I disagree that the Xenomorphs are any smarter than the Graboids. Deadlier in numbers, sure, but unless I'm severely underestimating how smart the Xenomorphs are, both are pretty animalistic in intelligence. In fact, doesn't the android in the first movie give a big speech about how great it is that the Xenomorph doesn't have higher intelligence like the humans do because it means it has no morals?

More importantly, you're completely ignoring all the context of the Alien movies, and the context of this match. In the first one, Ripley only really survives by luck. She obviously is skilled at survival and is smart and capable, but there are many times where she only really survived because the Xenomorph happened to go after someone other than her when they were all split up. In the second one, she did go up against a giant hive of them, but she wasn't alone, and she was very well-armed. That's not to downplay her survival, she's obviously badass and she outlives the marines, but again, I don't think she was more skilled than them. She outlived them through a combination of luck, wit, and already having knowledge of how the aliens work, as well as some of the marines sacrificing themselves so that she  (and others) could escape. 

In this scenario, without knowledge of the creatures, heavy futuristic guns, or a disposable crew to get killed before her, she wouldn't really have any of the things that ensured she could survive the first two Aliens movies. Granted, I don't remember the third one, but I'm pretty sure they were back down to just 1 Xenomorph in that one anyway, and I haven't seen any of the others but my point stands. Ripley survived the Xenomorphs through specific contextual means that she wouldn't have here, so claiming she should win this because she beat the Xenomorphs just doesn't work for me.

Ripley also has no real experience with the Graboids, and I see literally no reason why her experience with the Xenomorphs means anything here. She doesn't have any weaponry or knowledge of the creatures, and they act completely differently than the Xenomorphs, so she has exactly as much experience as Rick does. The Xenomorphs are more deadly than the zombies individually, sure, but that's not really the point. Both are smart and resourceful enough to figure out what the Graboids are and how they work. As you say, a bunch of townsfolk figure that out, but Rick is far more charismatic and would be able to rally more people to help him take them out, which is far more advantageous in a fight like this 

Peypey come on, you know as well as I that the Xenomorphs are on a whole other level then the Graboids. Again, the Graboids were taken out by a handful of civilians who had never encountered them before, who only need one or two encounters with them to figure them out and start killing them off. The Xenos however utterly annihilated an entire army of marines, a feat made more impressive by the fact that the Marines knew in advance what sort of creatures they were and even brought along an expert (Ripely) to help understand them and the Xenomorphs still massacred them.

So yes, Ripley’s experience with the Xenos has prepared her much better then Rick’s experience with the undead. Many survivor in the WD universe have described the zombies as slow and stupid, in fact during the second season fans actually complained how boring it was when Ricks group only had to deal with walkers because of how easy they were to deal with. So again, it doesn’t matter how good Ricks leadership are if he’s dealing with an enemy that’s far more deadly then anything he’s ever experienced before.

Also, in the third Alien film, the planet Ripley landed on was a prison planet that had no guns on it, so not only did she have to figure out how to kill the Xenomorph with no guns, she also had to work with inmates that she knew would rape or kill her if she didn’t prove herself to them. So again, Rick would have never survived what she lived through four different times, meanwhile if she landed in the WD universe, Negan and the Governor would have been her bitches.

Edited by Pizzaguy2995
  • Like 1

It could go either way. In leading people, I feel Rick has the advantage here as he has shown that he is a capable leader. He has had to lead survivors for however many years in a zombie apocalypse, and has had to lead survivors in wars against other groups of survivors. While I would say Graboids have more intelligence than hordes of brain eating zombies, Rick definitely has an advantage when it comes to be a leader of random people

With facing a large inhuman threat, i will give that edge to Ripley. In the first movie, she survived basically because of luck as pey pointed out. She survived the second movie too and went against a much larger number of xenos, plus a queen. Yeah it could be argued that she survived because of luck and with the help of the marines, but she did progress in survival skills against a dangerous creature. I'm not going to mention alien 3, it was just a poor excuse for a movie and this isn't the Ripley clone we are talking about so Alien Resurrection would not factor in.

As far as threat, I do believe Xenomorphs are much deadlier than graboids and have shown to have more intelligence than graboids. Through different games, movies and novels, we have seen that they possess the ability to think and solves puzzles. I also believe that xenos are much more dangerous than zombies. 

I'll probably give this one to Ripley, just slightly. Now I may hold off because given the challenge is who can lead the town folk against the graboids. I keep going back to Rick's leadership skills.