Season Wins: 4
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Krypto at Wikipedia
Official Site: D.C Comics

Battle Terrain
Animal Ad Star

A. TALKING. HORSE.

I would literally buy a poisoned drink if a talking horse told me to get it. He's unique, he's funny, he's multi-talented, he's everything you could possibly want from a spokeshorse. How about an ad of him playing pool? Or flying a plane? Or driving a car? Or doing stand-up comedy. 

Dogs in advertising are a dime a dozen. Horses? Much more rare. Talking Horses? Now, you don't have to just sell pet food, or a vacuum, or something actually pet-related. You could sell literally anything. Just the fact that a TALKING HORSE is selling it is going to get a ton of eyes on the products. Have that talking horse actually doing things and it becomes an easy sell for me. 

Also, while Krypto can fly and do superhero stuff, that's not really an advertisers dream. It's cool, but it's not gonna push product. A horse that can sell you stuff? Now that's where the money is. 

Finally, which one of them has experience here? Oh, that's right. I rest my hooves 

Mr. Ed? More like Mr. Ed-change all your money for our product

I, for one, would never buy anything being advertised by Superman's dog. A flying, laser beam shooting dog with a connection to the man of steel would never entice anyone to purchase a product. Dogs in general are horrible mascots, so there's no chance that using one in an ad would ever be a good idea.

The talking horse that looks like it always has a mouth full of peanut butter is a much better advertising figure.

4 minutes ago, Bergy_Berg said:

I, for one, would never buy anything being advertised by Superman's dog. A flying, laser beam shooting dog with a connection to the man of steel would never entice anyone to purchase a product. Dogs in general are horrible mascots, so there's no chance that using one in an ad would ever be a good idea.

The talking horse that looks like it always has a mouth full of peanut butter is a much better advertising figure.

I'm glad we agree. Everyone can vote for Mr. Ed now

7 minutes ago, Bergy_Berg said:

To actually address these point though, in canon, Mr. Ed just is a talking horse. He really can talk in his series. There's a reason why advertisements tends to like talking, because talking convinces people to buy things pretty well. Krypto, again, could get eyes on the product just by nature of being a flying, laser-shooting dog, but that doesn't really translate to selling much. Mr. Ed, on the other hand, can sell basically anything. He is much more dexterous than Krypto, and can fly a plane, drive a car, play games, and do most things a man can do. But he's a horse, which makes it much more enticing, memorable, and funny. Mr. Ed would be a much better fit for a much wider variety of products. Again, Krypto is undeniably more impressive, feats-wise, but that doesn't at all translate to who would actually make a better salesanimal

Mr. Ed could probably sell Gorilla Glue as a personal hair care product or other type of health product (just kidding)

i may be leaning towards the talking horse. Talking horse is something else entirely in advertising that I think would be entertaining. I mean look at the old beer commercials during the super bowl. Those went on for years and that horse couldn't even talk

47 minutes ago, Movie-Brat said:

If it was any other talking horse, that could sell but who even cares about Mister Ed? At best, you could find a boomer or so who grew up watching reruns. 

Krypto though, people love dogs. They have more commercials than horses. 

The challenge isn't "who can give the best celebrity endorsements," it's "who can be the best advertising star." Those are two entirely different things. Even if you've never heard of Mr. Ed, he's a multi-talented talking horse who can do literally anything you want him to do in a commercial. It's true that there are more commercials with dogs in general, but that doesn't really matter here, because this isn't just a normal horse vs. a normal dog. Mr. Ed can advertise a much wider variety of products in a much more natural way, he can serve as his own spokeshorse, and he can do more within the advertisements themselves. This seems like a pretty easy choice to me

This isn't at all related but one of my friends just sent me this and I find it very funny:

8de09zklqfi61.png.76b73d86071d1a4ef12b6050296ae72e.png

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Movie-Brat said:

Except in real life when there was a Mister Ed commercial for a sponsor with a car company, it ended up going bankrupt a year later. 

Well, the "a year later" bit is mostly false, because from what I can tell, Studebaker sponsored the show from '61 to '63, and closed in '67. Also, the fact that it closed after it let go of Mr. Ed as a spokeshorse means that we really can't pin any of the blame on Mr. Ed other than to say that he couldn't single-hoofedly save a long-dying company in just 2 years, which Krypto wouldn't have been able to do either. 

More importantly though, we're talking about the character Mr. Ed as a spokeshorse. We're not judging based on their impact on modern day commercial trends, we're saying which of the two would be better at shilling a wider variety of products, and the character of Mr. Ed would be great for that

I actually remember watching Mr. Ed when reruns aired on Nick at Nite back in the day. :)  I can pretty much confirm that he did a lot of crazy human things on the show. Thing is, Ed tended to only do human things when he was sure no one but his master was watching, so it's unlikely Mr. Ed would publicly do human things for the sake of selling product. 

Therefore, this should come down to who has more animal appeal while doing things they would normally do in public.

56 minutes ago, DSkillz said:

I actually remember watching Mr. Ed when reruns aired on Nick at Nite back in the day. :)  I can pretty much confirm that he did a lot of crazy human things on the show. Thing is, Ed tended to only do human things when he was sure no one but his master was watching, so it's unlikely Mr. Ed would publicly do human things for the sake of selling product. 

Therefore, this should come down to who has more animal appeal while doing things they would normally do in public.

I'm gonna push back on this a bit. Yeah, he doesn't usually talk to other people, but everything else I listed he does very publicly. Baseball, Pool, car driving, and plane flying are all done out in the open, so he definitely would get those feats for his commercial 

16 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

I'm gonna push back on this a bit. Yeah, he doesn't usually talk to other people, but everything else I listed he does very publicly. Baseball, Pool, car driving, and plane flying are all done out in the open, so he definitely would get those feats for his commercial 

Heh, my bad. It has been awhile since I've seen the show.

I watched the clips later on, and I lost it when Ed actually slid for home plate. :lol: