Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

Helena Shaw vs. Lori Quaid
MATCH SCORE
Helena Shaw: 2
Lori Quaid: 3

Tournament - King Arthur's Wars

Culwych1

After the final battle was won, King Arthur and Guinevere stepped out of history and into legend. But their story was far from over...

508AD - England

The battle was over. The fading sun glowed red on the bodies littering the great field, the noises of the dying permeating the air in a background of agony. 

Arthur lowered Excalibur until it touched the ground. His helmet had long since been lost in the fighting, dislodged by a pike thrust that had left his ears ringing and earned his opponent a swift elbow to the face followed by a sword to the gut. 

On the ground before Arthur lay the body of his sworn enemy, Mordred. Arthur sighed, and looked around. A smile broke across his bleeding lips; not the elation of winning, but the satisfaction that it was over and the knowledge that he could finally return to Camelot and his love, Guinevere. 

"Nooooooooooo!" a screeching cry broke through the background noise and a swirling ball of smoke coalesced into the form of a woman. 

Morgane Le Fey dropped to her knees next to the body of Mordred, the wail still emitting from her lips. Tears streamed down her face as deep breaths of despair wracked her body. 

She spun on Arthur, who warily lifted Excalibur. 

"False King" she spat at him. "Your insatiable bloodlust has killed everything good in this world." 

Her eyes were blood red as she slowly rose to her feet. "You think you have won but you have won nothing! You have learned nothing! Your endless conquests and deluded search for unity have brought about the ruin of us all, and the death of my love."

She stalked towards him and Arthur could feel the magic radiating through her body. In response Excalibur glowed with magic of its own. 

"There need not be any more bloodshed Morgane, there has been too much already" he said. 

She smiled. 

"Oh there won't be any more for me false King. This is the end for me, but I will make sure that you regret this day for the rest of your life. Today you will suffer loss as I have, that which you hold most dear will be lost to you. This bloodshed you claim to wish to avoid will be the only way you can ever find her again. The world will know you for what you are Arthur, nothing but a bloodthirsty warrior and not a king."

The air around her caught fire, blue colored flames swirled and spun, and Arthur took a step back as he felt the heat emanating from the witch. 

"What are you doing?" he shouted, "It doesn't have to be this way!" 

"Oh but it does!" she shrieked loudly as the fire consumed her body, all the while smiling her terrible grimace. Her flesh melted away, bubbling and crackling. She dropped to her knees, and her grinning lips were replaced by the dead smile of a black crumbling skull. 

Arthur lowered Excalibur once more. An ominous dread filled his heart. 

Swirling magic announced the arrival of Merlin and the ancient druid stepped through a portal. 

"Late to the party as always old man" said Arthur grimly, a weak smile playing across his lips. The smile dissipated when he saw the look in his friend and mentor's eyes. "What is it?"

"I'm sorry Arthur" and the King saw something he had never seen before; tears had formed in the old man's eyes. "I tried to counter her magic, but it was just too strong."

"What is it Merlin..." but deep inside Arthur already knew. 

"It's... Guinevere..." 

Arthur surged forward. He grasped Merlin and drew him close. 

"What is it Merlin. Speak now!" The dread was now palpable in Arthur's heart, beating louder than a war drum. 

Merlin swallowed. "Morgane.... her magic wasn't just her own. It was powered by the divine, and it has cast her out of time and space!"

"What does that mean druid?"

"It means she's lost to us Arthur. I cannot find or follow her. Morgane knew that if she just killed Guinevere I may find a way to bring her back, so she has sent her into the future, to some other place, where even I cannot see her. There's nothing I can do."

Arthur's knees gave way suddenly, all strength gone in an instant as he felt the hollow pain of loss in his heart. No sword could have hurt more in that moment. The tears flowed down his cheeks, and he struggled to catch his breath. But only for a short while. Arthur was a warrior and a king, and his kingdom had been forged by his indomitable will. He steeled his heart, pushed all feelings of loss aside and approached the problem as he had every other obstacle he had faced on his way to Camelot's throne. 

He knew what he must do, even if it meant losing everything. He got up, and when he spoke Merlin could see his mind was made up. 

"I must seek her in war Merlin.  Morgane said that was the only way I could find her. 'This bloodshed you claim to wish to avoid will be the only way you can ever find her again' is what she said. She knew that, more than anything, I wanted this war to be over and to return to Guinevere. That is Morgane's final curse. I must continue fighting. I must seek my love in wars, and one day I may find her."

"But my King.." started Merlin. 

"No longer old friend. As a king I would bring about the death of countless innocents were I to drag Camelot into endless wars. No, the only way for me to do this is alone. I must renounce everything, my kingdom, my friends, Excalibur and Camelot, and seek out battles. And maybe one day amidst all that death I will find love again. Tell them I died on the battlefield Merlin. I need to start my search for Guinevere immediately."

"But you can't", said Merlin, already knowing it was too late. The man he had watched over as a boy, and seen grow into the greatest leader of men, had decided his path. "I know you Arthur. When your mind is made up you will move heaven and hell to bend the world to your will."

Merlin thought furiously. "I may be able to help." Merlin closed his eyes and magic danced around him; deep magic form the heart of the forest, that gathered in strength around the druid. 

In the swirling vortex Arthur saw a huge figure looking out, eyes hidden behind a helmet. The scene was still, but Arthur could see Merlin was talking to the figure. The figure nodded, and Arthur felt Excalibur rise of its own accord. The blade glowed brightly, whiter until both men had to shield their eyes, and then suddenly the light was gone.

"What happened Merlin?" gasped Arthur. 

"The magic in Excalibur was always tied to you Arthur, so I made a pact with Ares, the god of war, and he has moved it to you instead. You will not be invulnerable but you will be stronger, faster and live longer than any normal man. Hopefully that will shield you long enough to find your love once again."

"And what did you promise in exchange for this druid? The gods do not help without a cost."

"Nothing beyond what you have already said yourself that you would do my King. You will be Ares's avatar in this world, his eyes and ears in the battles that he so longs to be part of."

Arthur sighed. "Thank you old friend." he said, and they hugged for what could be the last time. 

"Just one last thing Arthur" Merlin said. "Morgane could not have done this on her own. I sensed divine magic in her final spell, so she must be in league with a god!"

Arthur nodded and, before the remaining knights of the round table could locate him, the King of Camelot stalked away from the battlefield. 

-------------------------------------------------

A few years after walking away from the battlefield in England, he found himself in Rome, battling the Goths to destruction. And if he felt the eyes of a god watching through his own, he pushed that thought to the furthest part of this mind. 

More wars throughout Europe followed; Guadalete, Tours, and Roncesvalles. At each one enemies fell before him and blood caked his armor, and once the battle was over, he would disappear back into obscurity. Ever fighting, ever killing, ever searching for his lost love. 

Time passed in bloodshed. Hastings, the Crusades, Bannockburn, Poitiers; each brought a faint hope that the next fight could see him in Guinevere's arms. The love in his heart never abated nor diminished. In his mind was a vision that no amount of bloodshed could taint; of him laying down his weapons and taking Guinevere in his arms. She would smile at him, washing away all the pain, the death and the chaos that threatened to consume him. 

More time, and more wars. Different wars. He saw sieges like that of Malta, rebellions such as that at Gembloux, even far overseas at Haengju fortress. War become more ferocious, and larger armies now marched to their dooms. At the battle of Freiburg, he saw thousands of men on each side slaughtered by infantry, cavalry and guns. 

On he strode; the scars covering his body and his soul, but the core of his being still driven by his indomitable will and undying love. 

World War I brought death and terror beyond belief, yet Arthur persevered. Something in his mind was telling him that his quest was coming to an end. 

As World War II drew to a close Arthur found himself on the beach of Normandy, striding alone through a shelled out town when suddenly he felt a presence. He drew his gun. 

And that is when Ares appeared; a huge presence covered in ancient black armor crackling with power striding towards him.

The deep voice boomed. "You have done well Arthur. Oh how I have delighted in the slaughter and battles, and thanks to you I have been able to experience so many in this world. You have earned your reward at long last King of Britain, it is my turn to honor the bargain struck with Merlin many years ago."

Arthur could not believe his ears. Could it be true?

Ares raised his hand and concentrated, his magic reaching out to some other place Arthur could not see. Light shone brightly with radiant power. 

And then Guinevere stepped out of light, and she looked no different than last he had seen her. Arthur felt the gun fall from his hand, and he knew the wars were over. 

They rushed towards each other, falling into each others arms and nothing else in the world mattered. They were both crying freely, tears of joy, of love and of relief. They kissed, and all the feelings that Arthur had bottled up inside during his eons of war were washed away in a flood. Their laughter filled the air, older faces but still a young burning romance. 

And suddenly, out of nowhere came the flash of a blade! It lanced through Guinevere and into Arthur, impaling them both in a heartbeat. 

Everything froze, and out of a vortex stepped Hela, Goddess of Death. She that had once given power to Morgane Le Fey to cast Guinevere out of this realm, safely hidden away and never to be reached. 

"You dare try and steal from my domain!" she shouted, heading straight for Ares. 

They immediately clashed and their power shook the earth. 

Neither noticed Merlin appearing, wrapping up Guinevere and Arthur in his own magic and pulling them back through a portal.

Whilst their fate may be unknown, the legend of King Arthur and Guinevere's endless love endures forever...

Great work on this historical tale of a love so strong it would drive a person to toil for centuries to recover it.  Using major historical battles to mark the time gives the reader a sense of how long Arthur waits to be reunited with his love.

It is an engaging read which would make for an interesting mini-series or novel in a longer form.  The adventures of Arthur the Warrior over time.

If I am calculating correctly, Arthur spent 1,400 years roundabouts wandering the Earth.  What the story doesn't tell us is if, in all that long time, there was any companionship Arthur allowed himself.  I mean, in the end, he's only human.

Thanks for the read!

8 hours ago, Fox said:

Great work on this historical tale of a love so strong it would drive a person to toil for centuries to recover it.  Using major historical battles to mark the time gives the reader a sense of how long Arthur waits to be reunited with his love.

It is an engaging read which would make for an interesting mini-series or novel in a longer form.  The adventures of Arthur the Warrior over time.

If I am calculating correctly, Arthur spent 1,400 years roundabouts wandering the Earth.  What the story doesn't tell us is if, in all that long time, there was any companionship Arthur allowed himself.  I mean, in the end, he's only human.

Thanks for the read!

Thanks Fox! 

When I started writing I was focusing on two love stories - obviously King Arthur's and also some inspiration from Romeo and Juliet (hence the scene at the end) - when I got stuck in I was on about 2400 words.... for the first part of the story only!

I had a lot more detail planned of each of the battles, him getting closer and closer, stories of a lost woman wondering the battlefields, the gods acting through them as avatars, and even a demon trying to seduce him away from this quest (which kind of answers your last question).

Spent nearly as much time cutting this down as writing it 😆)

13 hours ago, JohnnyChany said:

I love Arthurian stories and it is a great  backdrop for this month;s challenge. Major props to you for not going the obvious Lancelot route. An enjoyable read all around.

Thanks JohnnyChany; great stories often with a love element to them so plenty of inspiration there! 

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2021 at 2:20 AM, Culwych1 said:

Thanks Fox! 

When I started writing I was focusing on two love stories - obviously King Arthur's and also some inspiration from Romeo and Juliet (hence the scene at the end) - when I got stuck in I was on about 2400 words.... for the first part of the story only!

I had a lot more detail planned of each of the battles, him getting closer and closer, stories of a lost woman wondering the battlefields, the gods acting through them as avatars, and even a demon trying to seduce him away from this quest (which kind of answers your last question).

Spent nearly as much time cutting this down as writing it 😆)

Yeah I can see how much was cut. This would have really shined as a 3k or even 4k set-up. Damn Tournament constraints.

I enjoyed this though. The love story is sweet and I like the historic backdrop. I feel bad for the lovers and wish we had more time with them being together before their end. Hela seemed out of place and sudden to me, but I think that was because you shortened it, which is understandable.

As much as I like Ares (DC), I don't think he wins this fight. Hela has defeated Thor and company plenty of times but I don't know if Ares has done the same to Wonder Woman, who is comparable in some regard. I could analyze that more, but I think Hela still wins more often in this scenario.

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
3.90 - Lordofice
5.00 - patrickthekid
4.00 - SSJRuss
4.50 - Fox
4.50 - Boratz

FPA Calculation:
5 Total Votes cast
21.90 Total Combined Score
21.90 / 5 = 4.38 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Ares (DC): 3
Hela: 3

• 2 weeks later...

Gah, can't believe I missed out on so many of these tourney matches this time around. :( 

Great story, Culwych! A very good story on Arthur persevering literally throughout the ages to win back Guinevere. As has been mentioned, though, it could've used more perspective showing the love between Arthur and Guinevere. My rating would've brought your match's F.P.A. up a bit, though.

As for the match, I would've gone with the spoken consensus and say that Hela would've won, as she has beaten stronger gods before, and therefore would've broken the match's tie.