Slot: The Team Member Fighting In the Ring
Season Wins: 2
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Zangief at Wikipedia
Official Site: Capcom

Battle Terrain
Competition Fighting: Suspension Bridge

I know Stipe Miocic has been lauded on this website for whatever reason, even against fictional characters that do things that normal people are NOT able to do, but in this case I have to give it to Zangief cause my man grabs bears and holds them in place. There's no way that Stipe Miocic can even inconvenience Zangief and I have to turn a blind eye to literally every feat Zangief has to even give Stipe a chance, but even if I am voting solely on looks, Zangief still outweighs Stipe massively. (181 kg to 111 kg respectively.)

This doesn't end nice for Stipe, he gets thrown off as soon as Zangief hits him with a beam? Is that what they're called? Whatever they're called, him being taller gives him a reach that is needed to win.

• Like 1

SLOT 4: The Team Member Fighting In the Ring

Normal human boxer, brawler, wrestler or kick boxer who fights in competition matches.  Could be a real person or a  fictional person as long as they are presented as a normal, realistic human.

Base Line Examples:
- Hulk Hogan
- Rocky Balboa
- Sgt. Slaughter

So Zangief, if he can wrestle full grown bears, really shouldn't have been here in the first place. Because that is definitely a superpowered human.

I actually like Stipe's chances here anyway. As I mentioned before he's a firefighter, probably has better balance than Zangief. Really, Zangief is so big that staying on a moving suspension bridge would be awkward. He'd probably cause himself to fall off.

3 hours ago, Macklemore said:

I know Stipe Miocic has been lauded on this website for whatever reason, even against fictional characters that do things that normal people are NOT able to do

Probably has something to do with being the best mixed martial artist on the planet.

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

The best mixed martial artist on OUR planet, and that solely goes for Real Life. And even then, I doubt this is a set in stone thing.

Yes, thank you for agreeing with me. And since our planet is Earth and everyone in this slot is a normal human, Stipe Miocic looks pretty good for most of these challenges.

Just now, Bergy_Berg said:

Yes, thank you for agreeing with me. And since our planet is Earth and everyone in this slot is a normal human, Stipe Miocic looks pretty good for most of these challenges.

Me agreeing that he is close to being the strongest MMA fighter in real life does not mean the same can be said when comparing him to fictional characters. I said this already. I didn't think I'd need to say it again.

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

Me agreeing that he is close to being the strongest MMA fighter in real life does not mean the same can be said when comparing him to fictional characters. I said this already. I didn't think I'd need to say it again.

Fictional, but normal human characters. If it was Captain America sure, Stipe loses. But Zangief is no Captain.

I see this one being over quick though. Zangief goes for a huge swing, Stipe gets out of the way and counterstrikes, with that + Zangief's momentum throwing Zangief off the bridge.

1 minute ago, Bergy_Berg said:

Fictional, but normal human characters. If it was Captain America sure, Stipe loses. But Zangief is no Captain.

I see this one being over quick though. Zangief goes for a huge swing, Stipe gets out of the way and counterstrikes, with that + Zangief's momentum throwing Zangief off the bridge.

Again, Stipe is at a gigantic weight/height disadvantage in this battle. Stipe might be (solely in your opinion) the best fighter pound for pound but you as a MMA expert should know how important it is to have a division by weight categories. He gets bodied by the much more able Zangief, the way you purport this fight ending up sounds cartoonish frankly.

Lol, fifth round in, and people are still complaining about who should've qualified for which slot?

At this point, what's done is done. I think it might be time for y'all to move on from this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Again, Stipe is at a gigantic weight/height disadvantage in this battle. Stipe might be (solely in your opinion) the best fighter pound for pound but you as a MMA expert should know how important it is to have a division by weight categories. He gets bodied by the much more able Zangief, the way you purport this fight ending up sounds cartoonish frankly.

Zangief wrestles bears, we're in cartoonish territory. Stipe has shown in the octogon that he's able to get out of the way of big, telegraphed swings, which is exactly what I'm imagining Zangief tries.

Also, didn't say best pound for pound. That title belongs to Khabib Nurmagomedov, but that dude weighs 155 so, ya know.

1 minute ago, DSkillz said:

Lol, fifth round in, and people are still complaining about who should've qualified for which slot?

At this point, what's done is done. I think it might be time for y'all to move on from this.

I think there's some value in pointing out shenanigans at every point. Like if I tried to say John Marston will activate dead eye and win a shootout, I expect to be called out on it.

17 minutes ago, Bergy_Berg said:

I think there's some value in pointing out shenanigans at every point. Like if I tried to say John Marston will activate dead eye and win a shootout, I expect to be called out on it.

Thing is, while it can possibly be debated what capabilities characters should be allowed to use in the draft, the characters already picked cannot be changed out. There's literally no point in going on and on about the latter.

11 minutes ago, DSkillz said:

Thing is, while it can possibly be debated what capabilities characters should be allowed to use in the draft, the characters already picked cannot be changed out. There's literally no point in going on and on about the latter.

Alright, I see what you're getting at. It's a fair point.

I guess more what I'm getting at is voters need to toss out the feats that don't fit the slot. Sneaking in someone with crazy abilities shouldn't give you the win.

Now someone bring up Morrigan from last season so I can look bad.

Just now, Peypeypeypey said:

I was gonna bring up Batman Beyond's 70-ton boulder feat, but Morrigan works too

Hey man, we can talk about how regular Batman also has multi-ton level strength through comic shenanigans. But if you ask someone how much he can lift, they'll say Batman lifts less than 1000 pounds because he's just a human. Doesn't matter that someone did the match on him throwing some big dude.
Batman Beyond, in the suit, has super strength. The intention of the character, and my intention in picking him, is not that he can move mountains.

Morrigan I just didn't know anything about, but she worked out really well.

It is absolutely fair to call out when somebody is trying to leverage powers a character has which are beyond the intended scope of the slot.

For example, Jinny Hex apparently has a green lantern ring laying around.  Is it fair to debate a character using a green lantern ring in the Wild West slot?  Not at all.  So we ignore it.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SSJRuss said:

Intended slot requirements or not, Zangief wins this easily.

I think it's really the suspension bridge part that gives Stipe an edge here. If it was a bigger, more solid surface that they were on Zangief has the edge. But a dude THAT BIG is not gonna be able to stay on a narrow rocking bridge like that.

8 hours ago, Fox said:

It is absolutely fair to call out when somebody is trying to leverage powers a character has which are beyond the intended scope of the slot.

For example, Jinny Hex apparently has a green lantern ring laying around.  Is it fair to debate a character using a green lantern ring in the Wild West slot?  Not at all.  So we ignore it.

It's more like a flashlight version of same, but yeah it was definitely silly of me to bring that up in the challenge lol. Same for any of the collected artifacts left behind by Jonah, really. https://www.cbr.com/young-justice-jinny-hex-dc-comics-artifacts-trunk-jonah-hex/

As for the fight here, good points all around. Leaning towards Zangief though, but not by much.