Rumble 20533 Demoman vs. Ogra
MATCH SCORE
Demoman: 0
Ogra: 3

Tournament - Bibendum (The Michelin Man) vs. Christine

JohnnyChany

Monkey-Paw-.jpg.2a439d3c192fe040915a39949f447c9c.jpg

“Go ahead and come in.”

College student, Michael, walked into his friend, Victor’s apartment. He did not see his friend, but was immediately greeted by Victor’s pet chihuahua. The dog greeted him by trying to chew on his shoes.

“Dang it, Cujo. It’s me,” said Michael.

Victor laughed as he stepped out of his room. “Get him, Cujo. Get him.”

The two buddies reached one another in the middle of the living room in front of a wall decorated by posters of Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Halloween. They clasped hands.

“What’s up, man,” said Michael.

“I am good. What’s going on? Want to hang out tonight?” asked Victor.

“I would if I could, but I gotta work tonight,”  stated Michael.

“Really? Where is the agency sending you tonight?” Victor inquired.

“Discount Tire,” Michael answered.

Victor chuckled. “Discount Tire? What do they need with a security guard? Are people really out here stealing tires?”

“Guess so. Their normal security system is down so they are contracting out a security guard until it can get fixed tomorrow,” Michael explained.

“Waste of money if you ask me,” said Victor.

“Hey, that money is going to me, asshole.” Michael shoved Victor’s arm. “Anyway, I was on the way there now, but I figured I’d stop by and say hi. I haven’t seen you since you got back from New Orleans.”

Victor’s eyes widened. “Oh shit, I’ve got to show you what I picked up there. You’re gonna flip.” Victor disappeared back into his room and reemerged with a dusty, but authentic looking monkey’s paw.

“The hell is that?” Michael commented.

“It’s a monkey’s paw.”

“I know what it is, but why did you get one?” asked Michael.

“Just look at it. It looks so real and gnarly. Feel the fur. Why wouldn’t I get it?” Victor reasoned.

Victor offered the monkey’s paw to Michael.

“Keep that shit away from me.”

Victor laughed again. “You aren’t afraid of it, are you?”

“You know I don’t get down with that voodoo nonsense. How about you? Have you tried to use it?” inquired Michael.

Victor scoffed. “Of course not. It’s not like I believe anything would happen, but why risk it? I just want to carry it around as a good luck charm, like a rabbit’s foot.” Victor picked up his backpack and placed the monkey’s paw inside.

“I’m pretty sure it doesn’t work like that. Don’t you remember the story?”

“I’ve never actually read the original story,” Victor admitted. “But I do remember it being on an episode of The Simpsons.”

The two friends chatted for several more minutes before Michael took his leave to go to work.

Later that night, Victor was having trouble completing some Sociology homework. Mostly, he was just bored. He decided he would go bother Michael at work. They could order a pizza. Victor could get his Sociology homework done, Heck, he might even check out some new tires for his beloved car.

Victor loved his car, a red and white 1958 Pymouth Fury, just like Stephen King’s Christine. However, Victor was also frustrated by his car. It was really expensive to maintain, and it always felt like there was something wrong. Currently, there were several dings and scratches on the car that Victor was dragging his feet about fixing. The engine had recently begun making funny noises and the tread on his current tires really was worn down. Victor swung his backpack into the passenger seat and made his way to the tire shop. Halfway to his destination, the engine started to make the funny noises again. Victor wished his car really was like its inspiration and could fix itself. A muffled sound emitted from Victor’s backpack, but he did not hear it.

discount_tire-800x600.jpg.289ee89498b7cbcc4adcbc7541e1b730.jpg

Victor soon arrived at Discount Tire. There were several cars parked in front of the storefront so Victor parked on the opposite end of the parking lot. Victor grabbed his bag and exited the car. Victor did not initially notice that his car’s exterior now looked brand new. He walked up to the front of Discount Tire and banged on the door. As he waited for his friend to come to the entrance, Victor turned around and looked back at the parking lot. It was at this point he noticed the radical changes to his car.

“What the hell?”

Victor turned back around and banged even harder on the glass door. Michael ran up to the door and opened it.

“Victor? What are you doing here?”

“Dude you’ve got to see this.” Victor pulled Michael’s arm out into the parking lot and pointed in the direction of his car.

“What am I looking at?” Michael wondered.

Victor followed Michael’s eyes only to realize his car was not parked in the same spot anymore.

“Where did it go? What is going on here?” Victor exclaimed.

“Victor, you are not making any sense.”

“My car… it looked brand spanking new,,, and now it’s gone..and”

Victor was interrupted by a pair of headlights cutting through the dark night aimed directly at Victor and Michael.

“It’s not possible,” Victor whispered.

The car’s engine revved up and sped in a straight line at the two friends. They jumped out of the way and looked back in horror at Victor’s car when they noticed no one was in the driver’s seat.

“Get inside,” Michael declared.

They both rushed inside and Michael locked the door as he muttered to himself. “This isn’t real. This isn’t real.”

Victor’s mouth was agape, it took him a few moments to form a sentence. “My car has actually become Christine.”

“Shut up. There is no way that could happen,” said Michael.

Realization set in on Victor and he pulled the monkey’s paw from his backpack. One of the fingers was now closed shut.

“Oh my god!” Michael exclaimed. “You actually used that thing to wish that your car could turn into Christine?”

“No!” insisted Victor. “I was just wishing my car could fix itself like Christine, and I wasn’t actually holding it at the time. I didn’t know it would activate by proximity. I didn’t think it would activate at all. This whole thing is insane.”

Christine’s headlights shined through the windows of Discount Tire. Michael and Victor heard the sound of screeching tires as the demonic Plymouth plowed through the windows of the shop. Christine drove straight across the floor and crashed into the back offices. Michael fell back into a tire display and Victor fell to the right desperately trying to shield himself from broken glass. He looked up at a large Michelin Man poster. Fear and panic filled his heart and mind. The sound of Christine going in reverse startled Victor to his feet and he dropped the monkey’s paw to go check on his friend. Another finger closed on the paw. 

michelin_man.jpg.36df36486f1493afb1c1f757d2847a3d.jpg

As Victor helped Michael back up he remembered the monkey’s paw. After pulling out of the office rubble, Christine made a beeline for the monkey’s paw and hovered over it. She revved her engines again in a threatening manner.

Suddenly, the door to the service garage swung open and Bibendum walked through the doorway. He smiled at the two boys before launching a pair of tires at Christine at high velocity. The two tires smashed into Christine’s windshield and knocked the car back a little.

“The Michelin Man?!?” Michael screamed in disbelief. “You wished for the Michelin Man?”

“No!” Victor shouted back. “I was wishing for someone to come and save us. I just happened to be looking at that poster at the time.”

“Why didn’t you just wish for your car to go back to normal?” Michael demanded.

“I wasn’t thinking straight, there’s a lot going on right now.”

“We have to get to that monkey’s paw,” said Michael.

“I think he can actually help us,” Victor remarked. 

Bibendum formed two more tires from his stomach and readied another assault on Christine.

7 hours ago, JohnnyChany said:

Just realized Christine isn't in the Horror database, and that will probably disqualify this as a tournament entry. Still, it was  fun fight to do all the same.

Christine is listed in IMDB as a Horror film.  It is a Horror novel by the most well known of Horror writers.

Clearly this is a mistake that anyone would have put this in the Sci-Fi category.

I would urge any match judges to review and rate this fine October match entry normally while I work on correcting this clear and egregious error of Character Classification.

Thanks!

55 minutes ago, Fox said:

Christine is listed in IMDB as a Horror film.  It is a Horror novel by the most well known of Horror writers.

Clearly this is a mistake that anyone would have put this in the Sci-Fi category.

I would urge any match judges to review and rate this fine October match entry normally while I work on correcting this clear and egregious error of Character Classification.

Thanks!

Yeah, this case is interesting. Not sure why Sci-Fi was even thought up with Christine. The movie could best be described as paranormal, but that doesn't suggest Science Fiction to me at all.. imo.

2 hours ago, Fox said:

Thanks!

Thanks Fox. Yeah, when I saw Christine was in the database I didn't even bother to check the category. I just assumed it was horror until I posted the match. Classification aside, did you enjoy the setup?

43 minutes ago, JohnnyChany said:

Thanks Fox. Yeah, when I saw Christine was in the database I didn't even bother to check the category. I just assumed it was horror until I posted the match. Classification aside, did you enjoy the setup?

I will be sitting down to savor it with a fine cup of morning coffee over the weekend. 😊

work is pretty crazy.

Yo, I love this. Very fun and interesting twist for a match. It would make sense that the Michelin Man would fight a car. He's probably durable as hell so he can probably help these guys get the hand and turn the car back to normal.

Fantastic job with this set-up.  I was totally entertained. Great writing.

Man, we need a Netflix series where these tournament entries get turned into episodes.

I Would normally have to go with the Michelin Man on this one.  He's made of rubber so Christine really can't hurt him.  And, I have to assume he's got a power feat of pulling tires off cars. 

But, it being Halloween, the only outcome can be that Christine and Bidendum find true love after a quick scuffle, dispose of the two meddlesome humans, and keep the Monkey's Paw for themselves. 

And that leads to the world of...

81dh6mnKSkL._AC_SY741_.jpg

• Haha 2

Ah, the CBUB Match debut of Bibendum! :D And to think, some were questioning why he was added here.

Great entry, Johnny. Given that Bibendum and Christine are both probably virtually indestructible, an actual fight between them is likely a wash. However, Bibendum can probably hold off Christine long enough for the boys to figure out how to reverse Victor's wishes (though Victor doesn't seem too bright, lol), so I think I'll give the long-time Michelin mascot the win in that regard.

BTW, is Christine's profile pic at the top of this page blank for anyone else?

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
CBUB Match Judge : 5 Stars x 2

FPA Calculation:
6 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 6 Total Votes
( (6 * 5) + (0 * 4) + (0 * 3) + (0 * 2) + (0 * 1) ) = 30 Total Stars Score
30 / 6 = 5.00 Total Rating

MATCH SCORE
Bibendum (The Michelin Man) : 6
Christine: 2