X-23: 5

Zeorymer vs. Crimson Typhoon
MATCH SCORE
Zeorymer: 2
Crimson Typhoon: 4

Movies

Guest Magnus

Guest bigballerju

In what film prior to this did Wolverine show he was a that highly skilled of a excellent martial artist?  We only know Wolverine has his experience from being a soldier of multiple wars through the years and being apart of Weapon X. As a matter of fact they brought up Wolverine being a soldier multiple times in the film.

Guest bigballerju

Wolverine also in the movies you can tell uses his years of experience as a soldier and member of Weapons X in battle. He is a very good fighter and smart. We just haven't seen any martial arts from him in prior films to say he is a highly skilled martial artist as well. Yea he definitely has his berserker moments. I liked the battle in the forest in X-Men 3 with Wolverine and the mansion fight in X2.

Guest Dinsdale Piranha

Wolverine is the most blatant case of power creep you can hope to find.

When he first appeared as a Hulk villain, he was a mildly superhuman fighter with Adamantium claws. They were indestructible and razor sharp but they couldn't pierce the Hulk's skin. When he faced Warhawk a couple of years later, he couldn't pierce his skin either. Warhawk has steel-like skin, comparable to that of Luke Cage. Bullets bruise but don't penetrate.

Wolverine got beat a lot in those days but even when he was vastly outclassed, he never backed down from a fight. He could heal but it was a matter of an hour or more, and sometimes days to recover from being shot or stabbed. One of the greatest Wolverine moments of all time came when he single-handedly invaded the Hellfire Club where his teammates were being held prisoner. He was wounded and his healing factor was working, but he was still operating under par.

Originally he was a fierce but undisciplined fighter. When he met Iron Fist, he would probably have won that fight, but not on skill. Iron Fist clearly outclassed him. But Wolverine was stronger, faster, had his claws, and was inhumanly tough. (It was possible for a really good fighter to knock him out, BTW, and he didn't wake up in two seconds. 

But somewhere along the line somebody decided that this very cool character (he really was back then) would be cooler if he was a lot more powerful. He should be able to cut the Hulk, in fact, Wolverine vs. Hulk should be an even match. He should heal so fast that he cal literally run through a storm of gunfire, getting hit dozens of times and being healed up by the time he reaches the gunmen. And he should be the most skilled martial artist out there.

It really doesn't make sense for wolverine to be a skilled martial artist, when you think about it. What happens when he gets into a fight with twenty or thirty Hand ninjas? He wins the fight of course, but he has swords and arrows and daggers and who knows what sticking in his body.

If Daredevil, or Shang Chi, or Elekrta or someone like that goes against the Hand, they win too, but they manage to avoid getting skewered. Yet, Marvel now insists that Wolverine is the equal or superior of these characters in pure martial arts skill. He's their character so they can do it, but it makes no sense and really (IMO) detracts from what makes the character interesting.

I suspect they're doing the same thing in the movie. Wolverine isn't a martial arts expert... until the plot calls on him to be one and then, SHAZAM!

Guest Classic80s

The Wolverine was actually a really good movie. It's just that horrible unforgivable abomination of a retarded choice they made for the ending that's put me off to it almost completely. Before the ending, I would have easily purchased it on BD. But now, I don't know if I want to see it again. They totally just destroyed the whole mythology behind an item I held sacred as a fan. It's a great movie ruined (for me) by an inexcusable decision to do something that shouldn't have been done. :angry: 

Guest silversurfer092

Don't you just hate it when your rampant fanboyism gets in the way of you enjoying quality entertainment? It's the worst.

Guest bigballerju

LOL the film ruined Wolverine's mythology for you? Hell I would have thought Wolverine's f**ked up origin in the comics would have done that. What was so bad about the ending? 

Guest bigballerju

I just saw Byzantium and it was a great film. It was by Neil Jordan who has directed good films and has been a producer or writer on other ones.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sirmethos

Why do people hate X-Men Origins: Wolverine?

I can only speak for myself, but for me it was a few things.

In no particular order:

1. Deadpool(post operation).

2. Gambit. As a fan of the cajun, I hated the portrayal of the character in that movie.

3. The Hudsons.  They turned Heather and James Hudson, into an elderly couple. 'nuff said. -.-

4. The mutant kids that were rescued towards the end.  Cyclops and Emma Frost? Really?!  Yea, no. -.-

5. The Blob. 'nuff said.

There was a bunch of minor stuff as well, but those were the major points that turned me off that movie.

Guest force_echo

You didn't like it because the secondary characters were portrayed differently than the comics? What? That's a completely nonsensical reason to hate the movie. I didn't even realize the old couple was the Hudson, did they even mention their names? And what's wrong with the kids being Cyclops and Emma? And what's wrong with Blob, that single enounter with Blob was better than any of his bits in the comics.

Guest sirmethos

You didn't like it because the secondary characters were portrayed differently than the comics? What? That's a completely nonsensical reason to hate the movie. I didn't even realize the old couple was the Hudson, did they even mention their names? And what's wrong with the kids being Cyclops and Emma? And what's wrong with Blob, that single enounter with Blob was better than any of his bits in the comics.

-shrug-  Everyone has something where they can't set their bias aside.

While I, logically, know that the movies essentially take place in an alternate reality, and shouldn't be compared to the comics. That is just, for some reason, one of the points where I can't set my bias aside.

If they deviate too much from the comics, then I generally tend to dislike the movie.

That doesn't prevent me from appreciating the good things in the movie though(such as the portrayal of Wolverine, or Sabretooth).

As for the old couple.  Yes, their names are given in the movie. And the name "Hudson" can be seen on their mailbox.

What's wrong with the kids being emma and scott?  Aside from completely messing up the histories of those two characters(I'll refer you to my starting comment about bias), there is absolutely no reason for them to appear, aside from wanting to add more 'named' characters to the movie(which already had too many of them).

And about Blob. Again, I'll refer you to my comment about bias.

I know it's illogical(that's pretty much what bias is), but this is one of the few things, where I am, for whatever reason, not able to set it aside.

I also hated all the other X-films(as well as several of the castings in those movies), for similar reasons.

The only thing I can say in my defense, is that unlike most other people, I know, and admit, my bias :)

Guest bigballerju

What made Wolverine Origins a decent film was the awesome portray of Sabretooth. I want another Wolverine film with those two as the main focus going against each other. I agree the mutants at the end, Gambit, and f**king up Deadpool brought it down. The only other X-Men film that had problems was X-Men 3 which still had scenes I loved. X-Men 2 United from what I hear from comic fans is still one of the best superhero films. I agree with that actually.

Guest silversurfer092

So for all the reasons that sirmethos hates Wolverine: Origins are all the reasons I love comic movies. The old people were the Hudsons. Sirmethos hates that James Hudson was some old dude who helped Wolverine out for a night. I just love the fact that James Hudson got a name drop and was shown as a mentor and friend to a guy with no mentors or friends. I'm glad Gambit threw a deck of cards and I'm glad the Blob was some fat dude. I'm glad they at least gave Deadpool 2 swords, showed that he wasn't really a mutant in the first place, and then shut him up so all his fanboys couldn't wank off to his stupid one liners as he got his face chopped off by Sabretooth. I'm also pretty happy that Cyclops and Emma Frost were in the movie, especially how Cyclops was the one that Prof. X used as the leader of the children.

And sirmethos, if you think about it, this movie didn't contradict any history of the other X-Men movies, so you saying "omg child mutants ruining everything" ruins absolutely nothing.

Except for X-Men First Class, where Emma Frost showed up a good twenty-ish(?) years before, was older and evil. Other than that, I can't think of any other continuity issues off the top of my head.

To be fair, I don't think the diamond-skinned Emma was ever identified as Frost.

Another continuity issue was Professor X. Crippled in First Class, walks in for his Wolverine cameo. First Class was my favorite X-Men film, and probably one of my favorite Marvel films on the whole, but it didn't pay a whole lot of attention to continuity.

Guest bigballerju

Wolverine Origins never told us the exact year it was in certain points of the film and obviously it jumped a couple of years in the first part of the film like two or three times all together. 

A bunch of stuff happens in the movie. Then Wolverine gets shot in the head and he forgets all of it.

We spent two hours watching a kinda crappy movie, only for the movie to tell us none of it mattered.

That alone makes the movie completely worthless. It's a meaningless, insignificant movie that TELLS US it's meaningless and insignificant.

Thankfully the newest Wolverine movie chose to ignore Origins' existence. I can handle X3 still being relevant. It's also a pretty bad movie, but the new movie expanded on its events about as well as you could expect.

Guest sirmethos

Actually, Wolverine getting shot in the head, and thereby losing his memory, was one of the things I did like about that movie.

It's actually a (relatively)believable way of having Wolverine lose his memory.

And saying that that makes the movie irrelevant, is like saying that the Wolverine: Origins comics is irrelevant.

In the first X-Men movie, we saw that Wolverine had no memory of his past, so Wolverine not losing his memory, would have been to completely ignore the continuity of the movie-verse, not to mention the comics.

Wolverine Origins never told us the exact year it was in certain points of the film and obviously it jumped a couple of years in the first part of the film like two or three times all together.

Xavier was aged and balding in Origins. He was like 30ish when he got crippled in First Class.

In the first X-Men movie, it was stated that Magneto helped Professor X construct Cerebro, thus Magneto was able to build a helmet that was impervious to telepathy. Well in First Class, Magneto merely takes the helmet from Sebastian Shaw.

Anyways, the Heat was hilarious.

Guest force_echo

A bunch of stuff happens in the movie. Then Wolverine gets shot in the head and he forgets all of it.

We spent two hours watching a kinda crappy movie, only for the movie to tell us none of it mattered.

That alone makes the movie completely worthless. It's a meaningless, insignificant movie that TELLS US it's meaningless and insignificant.

Thankfully the newest Wolverine movie chose to ignore Origins' existence. I can handle X3 still being relevant. It's also a pretty bad movie, but the new movie expanded on its events about as well as you could expect.

This is actually an understandable reason. Wolverine doesn't go through any character development because he forgets what happens. It has no lasting implication on the character of Wolverine. However, I think that the movie itself up to that point was actually fairly good. And I think that the whole amnesia thing had to be done to fit in with the continuity, it's not like the movie had a "choice". The same, I suspect, with the multitude of mutants shoehorned in for cameos when they don't really contribute to the character of Wolverine all that much.

Anyways, I liked the new Wolverine.