X-23: 5

Zeorymer vs. Crimson Typhoon
MATCH SCORE
Zeorymer: 2
Crimson Typhoon: 4

Movies

Guest Magnus

Guest force_echo

They put their hope in Superman. I think it would be more way more unrealistic for them not to give a person who clearly wants to help them a shot, and sacrifice an entire city by trying to nuke the weapons.

Guest Jason Redfield

They put their hope in Superman. I think it would be more way more unrealistic for them not to give a person who clearly wants to help them a shot, and sacrifice an entire city by trying to nuke the weapons.

I get that, but they had just previously been trying to kill this confirmed alien. They weren't entirely sure what he was capable of and they simply took the word him and a journalist when it came to the Phantom Drive (and unproven piece of alien technology). It's a nice sentiment, but realistically I think a bunch of jumpy guys at the Pentagon would be opting for the big red button.

Guest force_echo

I get that, but they had just previously been trying to kill this confirmed alien. They weren't entirely sure what he was capable of and they simply took the word him and a journalist when it came to the Phantom Drive (and unproven piece of alien technology). It's a nice sentiment, but realistically I think a bunch of jumpy guys at the Pentagon would be opting for the big red button.

They didn't just take his word, they took his actions when he clearly attempted to help the US Military. Why wouldn't they roll with that? Yes, before, they were wary, they didn't know his agenda, but things changed. The Military, I think, would be able to respond to that and act accordingly. Not taking advantage of the "free" asset that is Superman would be a tactical blunder. Besides, they didn't know anything about this tech or these people, Superman did and they know that, what happens when they sacrifice the entire city to nuclear bombing and the weapon's still going? Unless the Pentagon guys were idiots, they would give Superman the shot first.

Guest Jason Redfield

They didn't just take his word, they took his actions when he clearly attempted to help the US Military. Why wouldn't they roll with that? Yes, before, they were wary, they didn't know his agenda, but things changed. The Military, I think, would be able to respond to that and act accordingly. Not taking advantage of the "free" asset that is Superman would be a tactical blunder. Besides, they didn't know anything about this tech or these people, Superman did and they know that, what happens when they sacrifice the entire city to nuclear bombing and the weapon's still going? Unless the Pentagon guys were idiots, they would give Superman the shot first.

I'm not just talking about trusting his motives. I'm talking about actually trusting that he and this -- completely alien, unproven technology -- would be capable of saving all life on planet Earth. That, and the fact that a Lt. General made the decision on a whim. The vibe I got is that the gravity distortion thingy was going to terraform the Earth relatively soon. Conversely, what if this Phantom Drive had failed and the weapon was still going, with precious time lost and the gravity distortion field having widened in the meantime (making more conventional methods that much harder)? It just seems rather idealistic to think that a bunch of guys (who have to be risk-averse by nature) would go for such a Hail Mary.

YMMV.

Guest force_echo

I'm not just talking about trusting his motives. I'm talking about actually trusting that he and this -- completely alien, unproven technology -- would be capable of saving all life on planet Earth. That, and the fact that a Lt. General made the decision on a whim. The vibe I got is that the gravity distortion thingy was going to terraform the Earth relatively soon. Conversely, what if this Phantom Drive had failed and the weapon was still going, with precious time lost and the gravity distortion field having widened in the meantime (making more conventional methods that much harder)? It just seems rather idealistic to think that a bunch of guys (who have to be risk-averse by nature) would go for such a Hail Mary.

YMMV.

The alien, unproven technology is the same thing that they're being attacked by, it makes more sense to put faith in the alien tech, again, Superman knows more about Kryptonian tech than they do, he's Kryptonian. It's safer to use Kryptonian tech to fight Kryptonian tech, not conventional weapons. The conventional weapons are a riskier bet than using Kryptonian knowledge. Besides, didn't the planes get sucked into the well and slammed into the middle of the Earth when they approached the weapon? Why wouldn't the same thing happen to nukes, or any other missile?

Guest Jason Redfield

The alien, unproven technology is the same thing that they're being attacked by, it makes more sense to put faith in the alien tech, again, Superman knows more about Kryptonian tech than they do, he's Kryptonian. It's safer to use Kryptonian tech to fight Kryptonian tech, not conventional weapons. The conventional weapons are a riskier bet than using Kryptonian knowledge. Besides, didn't the planes get sucked into the well and slammed into the middle of the Earth when they approached the weapon? Why wouldn't the same thing happen to nukes, or any other missile?

Again, these are a bunch of risk-averse guys who had earlier taken this guy prisoner and then ordered him killed. Sure, he was apparently on their side due to the testimony of some Rangers and an Air Force Colonel. That's reason enough to stop shooting him in the face, but to entrust him and his technical knowledge with the fate of the entire human race? It just seems to be a stretch. Nukes have a reputation for messing shit up, that much is proven. The Phantom Drive could have done any number of things (including diddly squat...) for all they knew. It just doesn't seem like the kind of play the military would make. It works in the context of a film, but that's about it.

And a nuke would be vastly more effective than attempting to close with the machine and firing Mavericks like they did. Note that the missiles were unaffected until they closed to within, like, 100 meters of the thing. There would be absolutely nothing to prevent them from air-bursting a nuke well outside that radius but well within the fireball of a thermonuclear device.

Guest Jason Redfield

I loved the Lone Ranger.

Really? I was hoping it'd be pretty good. Was Johnny Depp as amazing as I suspect?

Also, watched Evil Dead and Jack the Giant Slayer today. The former wasn't really all that impressive. The latter wasn't incredible, but it was good for a little bit of fun.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LoneWolf

Pacific Rim. Just saw it. Who wants to talk about this movie? It was an anime translated to live action in pinpoint detail from the battles to the dialogue to the intentional extreme cliche characters. The square jaw, flat top military commander; cocky reckless blond american hotshot mech pilot; blue hair Japanese girl with dark past trying to prove her combat skills but untested; the duo of comedy relief bumbling scientists; Ron Perelman looked like someone right out of Cowboy Bebop. Action was amazing, I'd say better than any movie made so far, I was litteraly on the edge.

Guest bigballerju

I saw Lone Ranger. Great film. The Director that did this film needs to do a Green Hornet or Zorro movie next. He kept true to the character but also made it fun and refreshing for today's film audience. I'm gone see Pacific Rim next. I have a feeling that's as close to a great live action manga where gone get.

Guest Jason Redfield

Last Stand was annoying as hell to watch. I mean, okay, sure, it's cool to see Arnold back in a leading action role, doing what he does best. And it didn't really promise to be anything more than a mindlessly over-the-top action flick. But it was still just... bleh.

Guest badpierce

Last Stand was annoying as hell to watch. I mean, okay, sure, it's cool to see Arnold back in a leading action role, doing what he does best. And it didn't really promise to be anything more than a mindlessly over-the-top action flick. But it was still just... bleh.

I watched it and die hard 5 back to back the other day and liked last stand much more. Kinda a throw back to simpler action movies. Die hard 5 sucked!

Im excited to see Pacific Rim this week. I think that movie will be good for the Database too!

Guest Shockwave

But...but....Pacific Rim is just Neon Genesis Evangalion right?

*Receives hard slap from Starchible*  OW!

Guest badpierce

Pacific Rim has already done 91,000,000 in the box office.  Not bad for 3 days.

USA today said it did 38 million. Unless you are talking world wide 

Guest Jason Redfield

I watched it and die hard 5 back to back the other day and liked last stand much more. Kinda a throw back to simpler action movies. Die hard 5 sucked!

Im excited to see Pacific Rim this week. I think that movie will be good for the Database too!

Yeah, Die Hard 5 was horrific. I have no idea how, but the movie was so terrible that it actually made Bruce Willis look like a bad actor.

Guest Shoggoth breeder

Having finally seen Man of Steel, I completely understand why its getting mixed reviews.

Guest bigballerju

Overall it's been a good summer for geeks. I have enjoyed most of the films I have seen. Pacific Rim and Wolverine are next on my list. I can't wait for Curse of Chucky. It looks like it will be just as good as the original films and that's a good thing.

Guest LoneWolf

Not getting a good feeling for Wolverine so far. Same goes for Thor 2. I am not going to view either unless I hear reliable positive reviews.

Guest badpierce

Wow, I thought Pacific Rim was amazing. I Dont see how you could make a giant robot movie any better. Great casting. Some of my favorite cable TV actors. Charlie day stole the show. Ending could haven been better. It was about as generic of an ending as you could have. Best movie of the summer so far.