MATCH SCORE
Patrick Bateman: 0
Cocaine Bear: 1

Forge vs. Cable
MATCH SCORE
Forge: 1
Cable: 8

Match 18209 Mira Nova vs. Sabine Wren

Mira Nova sat bored at the controls of her Star Cruiser and idly held the handle of her radar gun.  The Cruiser was parked behind a giant billboard suspended in space alongside an interstellar star lane.  An endless line of spacecraft trundled past the billboard, causing the radar gun to bleep out their speed.  “2.3.  2.5.  2.5.”  Mira slouched back in her chair and groaned.  The whole situation was just completely unfair. 

Suddenly, there was a beeping noise from the communications console.  Mira lackadaisically hit a button with the back of her hand.  “Star Cruiser 33.  Space Ranger Mira Nova here,” she said staring at the ceiling.  “Do you require any assistance?” 

“Hi, Mira!  How you doin’?”  Mira sat up at the sound of the familiar voice.  “Booster?  Is that you?  Craters!  I had just about given up hope there was intelligent life in the universe!” 

“Ah, keep your chin up, Mira,” another voice cut in.  “You only have to do traffic duty for another week.” 

“Thanks a billion, XR,” Mira said insincerely.  “Are you guys and Buzz having a good time on Mahambas VI?” 

“Oh, you know what they say: Ranger’s work is never done,” XR prattled.  “I was only able to go tanning for an hour or two before I needed to get back to the conference.” 

“But we really wish you were here with us, Mira,” interrupted Booster.  “It’s too bad Commander Nebula ordered you couldn’t come with us.” 

“Now now, Booster, buddy,” said XR.  “You know the rules.  We can’t have Space Rangers who slug ambassadors getting away with it without paying their dues.” 

Mira tightened her grip on her radar gun. “The only reason I slugged that ambassador was because he wouldn’t stop bugging me about my mind reading powers.  ‘Can you tell me what I’m thinking?  Can you tell me what I’m thinking?’  I finally gave in and read his mind for him just to get him to shut up.” 

“So?  What was he thinking?” asked Booster. 

“Let’s just say for what he was thinking, he deserved a lot more than a slap in the face.” 

An alarm began blaring on Mira’s console.  “Now what?” Mira grumbled. 

“Somebody having a little space road rage?” asked XR.  Before Mira could reply, the Star Cruiser shook as something slammed into the billboard.  Mira fired up the Cruiser’s engines.  “Sorry, fellas.  Duty calls.  Have a good time, Booster.  And, XR?” 

“Yeah, Mira?” 

“I hope you get sunburn on your bumper.”  Mira switched off the comm and turned on her thrusters to launch the Cruiser out from behind the billboard.  Through the windows of her ship, Mira could see the star lane in chaos as a small vessel dodged and rolled through the traffic.  Mira pressed some buttons on her console.  “Computer, scan that vessel for identification.”  The Star Cruiser took off in pursuit of the craft as it sped out of the star lane and into open space.  “Unknown craft, this is Space Ranger Nova.  You are in violation of space traffic laws.  Disengage your engines.  Repeat, disengage, or you will be fired upon!”  There was no response from the ship, but the Cruiser’s computer readout it’s findings.  “Vessel configuration: Unknown.  Not registered in any system of the Galactic Alliance.  Warning!  Vessel is wanted in connection with the theft of 20 crystolic fusion cells from the planet Bathyos, and 50 Star Command Lasers from the foundry on the LGM Homeworld.” 

Mira moved the Cruiser right behind the craft.  “Huh.  Busy, little thief, aren’t you?  Well, if you don’t want to talk let’s see if I can get your attention.” 

Mira fired a warning shot to the craft’s starboard side.  The ship went into a climb and looped up and over the Star Cruiser.  Mira looked open mouthed for a moment, then quickly grabbed a hold of the control stick to try to maneuver.  But the craft had already gotten behind her.  “Warning!  Unknown craft charging weapons!” the computer blared.  “You don’t say!” Mira snapped.  “Evasive maneuver delta!  Now!” 

The craft’s laser cannon’s fired, shaking the Star Cruiser and cutting through it’s hull.  Mira was buffeted in her seat as she tried to regain control.  “Ok.  So he’s a good pilot, as well as a thief.” 

“Star Cruiser hull integrity compromised.  Do you require assistance from Star Command?” 

Mira switched off the computer’s voice.  “I require you to be quiet for a second!  Alright.  New plan!”  Mira turned the Star Cruiser so it was facing the craft.  Then, grasping the controls, she gave full power to the thrusters and launched her ship straight for it.  Laser cannon blasts tore at the Star Cruiser, causing sparks to fly from the panels around Mira.  Mira pressed the buttons on her suit to seal her helmet and open the wings on her jet pack.  “Almost… there!” she grunted.  The ships were only a few hundred meters away from crashing into each other.    

“Now!”  Mira sent the Star Cruiser into a dive and activated the jetpack.  She used her Tangean ghost powers to phase up through the hull of her ship and launch herself toward the craft.  Mira closed her eyes tight as she ghosted again through the canopy of the craft into the cockpit. 

Mira could feel herself colliding into the pilot.  She somersaulted through the air and landed on her feet, her wrist laser armed and at the ready.  “Space Ranger!  Stand down or I’ll be forced to…”  Mira stopped short, as she finally got a look at the pilot.  It was girl slightly younger than her, in strange armor.  She groaned as she used a console to steady herself back to her feet.  She gave a wry smile at Mira.  “Neat trick.  How’d you pull that off?” 

“You’ll have plenty of time to read about Tangean biology while your waiting for your trial.” 

The thief held up her hands and started slowly backing away for her ship’s controls.  “Listen, ma’am, I don’t think you understand what’s going on here.”

“Stay where you are!” shouted Mira.  “I don’t want to have to hurt you.  But I happen to know of some people who want to talk to you about some things you’ve stolen from them.”  The girl looked around the ship.  “Stolen?  I don’t know what you’re talking about.” 

“I’m really not in the mood for playing cute right now, kid.  The crystolic fusion cells!  The weapons!  Where are they?” 

“If you’ll just let me explain!  Okay, I stole a… couple things.  But I wasn’t going sell them on the black market or anything.  My friends are fighting for their lives right now.  They need those supplies or we're going to lose everything!” 

Mira could hear the tone in the girl’s voice.  It didn’t sound like she was lying to her.  “Listen, kid.  If you’re in trouble, there’s a way I can help.  Let’s just take what you stole back where it came from and get this ship to Star Command.  Then we can see what we can do.  What do you say?”  The girl glanced out the window of her ship than back at Mira.  “Sorry, Miss ‘Space Ranger’.  But I really don’t have time right now.”

Too late Mira saw the object the girl had palmed behind her back.  The girl hurled the small, beeping object at Mira, who instinctively opened fired.  The explosion sent Mira flying back into a crate in the hold.  She tried to shake the cobwebs from her head and looked down to see her uniform was now covered with purple and orange paint. 

“You know, I think those colors look better on you,” the girl said, as she put on her helmet and grabbed her blaster.  “I mean, purple and green?  Really?  Now look, how about you stay in that hold, and I’ll drop you off somewhere so you’re fellow bubble heads can find you.” 

Mira glared at the girl.  “Let me think about that.”  She turned her jetpack and flew across the ship into the girl, her blaster misfiring.  The blast caused the control panel to explode and the craft began to spiral out of control.  The two women continued their struggle as the Phantom started it’s descent towards the jungle planet of Karn. 

OK:

Both Mira and Sabine are at full strength.  Sabine has her jetpack and Mandalorian gear.  They both have access to the weapons/equipment Sabine has ‘acquired’.  Whoever beats their opponent one on one, while surviving the Karn terrain, wins. 

Game On! 

Ahhh it's good to see Mira in a match, Sabine too. I added both of these ladies. 

This is a tough match, Sabine is pretty skilled but Mira has her ghosting abilities that Sabine hasn't faced before so that just might give her the edge she needs to win. 

Good setup.

I might just add Booster and XR to the database

• Like 1

Good Match! I give the setup a 5.0.

• Like 1

Good set up and I love the use of characters here. Don't see much of Mira but I always thought she was a cool character and I think this is a natural battle to make for her.

I'm thinking Sabine for her experience will take this one but I'm not sure yet.

• Like 1

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - Venom 2009
5.00 - Mercenaryblade
4.50 - SSJRuss

FPA Calculation:
3 Total Votes cast
14.50 Total Combined Score
14.50 / 3 = 4.83 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Mira Nova: 2
Sabine Wren: 2

• Like 1

On 5/24/2022 at 11:15 AM, Callisto said:

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - Venom 2009
5.00 - Mercenaryblade
4.50 - SSJRuss

FPA Calculation:
3 Total Votes cast
14.50 Total Combined Score
14.50 / 3 = 4.83 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Mira Nova: 2
Sabine Wren: 2

A tie. Well guess that means it's time for a teamup. 

• Like 2

THE BOTTOM LINE

The Phantom sat where it had crashed into the surface of Karn.  Scorched earth and burned vegetation had been left in it’s wake.  At that moment, two women were not at all concerned with the scenery. 

Sabine’s jet pack carried her through the air as she dodged Mira’s lasers.  She barrel rolled to her back and fired the whistling birds at Mira.  The small missiles gave out their cry as they swarmed around Mira.  She tried to blast them but one got by her and struck the wing of her jet pack.  The Space Ranger started spiraling out of control, desperately pressing buttons on her suit to stay aloft.  Sabine launched herself towards Mira and fired her blaster.  “Not much of a flyer, are you?” she snarked as Mira continued down towards the dense jungle below, eventually disappearing in the foliage. 

Passing branches and vines, Sabine flew in after Mira, but the Space Ranger was nowhere to be seen.  She landed on the forest floor, and lowered the scope on her helmet.  She scanned the bushes in clearing surrounding her, but failed to notice Mira ghosting through a tree from behind.  Sabine heard the crackle of phase energy, and spun around, but it was too late.  Mira’s hand ghosted through into Sabine’s head.  “Sorry about this,” Mira said as she applied the Tangean Brain Squeeze to her opponent.  Sabine groaned in pain as Mira’s telepathic powers attempted to force her into unconsciousness.  “Just let go, relax,” said Mira.  “I don’t want to have to hurt you!” 

“Uggh… Thanks…. a…lot!” Sabine grunted.  She pulled the trigger of her blaster, which sent a laser into the ground inches from Mira.  Mira leapt backwards as Sabine dropped to a knee, holding her head.  The two women pointed blaster and wrist laser at each other, ready to fight again. 

Suddenly the ground beneath them began to tremble.  Mira and Sabine only had a moment to react before the earth between them blew open.  Out of the hole emerged a giant, blue, worm-like creature with four arms ending in claws.  It roared at Mira and Sabine.  “Narlzak!” Mira could only yell before the beast swung it’s head and collided with her.  The force of the strike sent Mira careening into a tree.  She tried to get to her feet but the narlzak loomed over her. 

Sabine took the air and opened fire at the narlzak.  “Hey, gruesome!  Over here!  Leave her alone!”  The narlzak howled at the annoyance that buzzed around it’s head.  It swung one of it’s mantis arms and clipped Sabine’s jetpack.  She tried to roll through the landing but she landed hard on her right shoulder, her helmet flying off in the process.  The narlzak growled at Sabine who lay helpless before it.  Sabine backed up against a boulder.  “Knew I should have brought Ezra with me,” she groaned.  Then Sabine heard a familiar buzzing noise.  Rising out from the ground by her side was Mira.  She grabbed a hold of Sabine’s arm.  “Hold on!”  The two ghosted into the earth, leaving the furious narlzak to roar to the heavens. 

Mira and Sabine ghosted up from the ground into a clearing a few miles away from the narlzak.  Sabine held her stomach and leaned against a tree moaning.  “Sorry,” Mira said.  “But that was a narlzak.  We’ve landed on Karn.  I’ve been here before, and believe me, neither us stood a chance against that thing.”  Sabine looked up at Mira warningly.  “So what now?  You call your bubble head friends and lock me up?”  Mira checked the readings her suit were picking up.  “Yeah, right now I’m more thinking along the lines of finding us a place on this planet that isn’t going to try to kill us and eat us.”  She turned to look at Sabine.  “And then see how much I remember from the academy about first aid so I can set that arm.”  Sabine gingerly held her shoulder.  “Thanks, I guess.  But I guess that setting up a distress signal is next on the list.  I get it.  It’s your job.  I broke the law when I stole those supplies.  I just wish there was a way you could believe me when I tell you how much is at stake.”  Mira paused, then walked over and knelt beside Sabine.  “Um, listen.  There might be a way.  Remember when we were fighting?  And I, um… put my hand in your head?”  Sabine started scooting away from Mira.  “Oh no you don’t!  That just felt completely disgusting!” 

“I know it isn’t pleasant.  But it’s also a way for Tangeans to be able to read people’s minds.  If you would let me in, I could see your thoughts and see why you went through all this.”  Sabine didn’t look convinced.  Mira held up her hand.  “I give you my word as a Space Ranger.  I’ll be as careful as I can.  Okay?”  Sabine looked around the clearing, then took a deep breath.  “Okay.  Fine.  But not for too long.” 

Mira nodded and Sabine closed her eyes.  Mira ghosted her hand into Sabine mind and started sifting through her memories.  She saw Sabine’s friends on the Ghost, their struggles with the Empire, the allies they had lost.  After a few minutes, Mira withdrew her hand, and Sabine opened her eyes.  “Well.  Now you know.  What do you think?”  Mira gave a sigh and nodded.  “I think you and your friends have a war on their hands.”  She gave a knowing grin.  “Well, that and you should probably tell that boy what you think of him.  Ezra?”  Sabine shot Mira a look, and she held up her hands.  “Okay, okay.  Sorry.  Privacy.  My bad.”  Sabine relaxed and gazed up at the stars getting clearer in the night sky.  “Guess it doesn’t really matter now.  You have to take me in, and I won’t see my friends again.”  Mira looked at Sabine, then joined her skygazing.  “Maybe there is another way.” 

Two days later, the Star Cruiser 42 landed near the wreckage of Mira’s ship.  Mira stepped out of a makeshift tent as Booster bounded down the steps to leap down to the ground.  “Mira!  You’re ok!” he cheered, giving her a big hug.  “Yeah, until now,” Mira grunted.  “Missed you too, Booster.  Um, ease off the hug, please?” 

“Oops!” Booster set Mira down.  “Sorry!”  XR and Buzz Lightyear made their away to Mira’s camp.  “Don’t be too hard on him, Mira,” he chattered.  “He’s been worried sick about you since you went missing.” 

“And you weren’t?” Booster said. 

“Easy, Rangers,” said Buzz.  He turned to face Mira and gave a salute.  “Good to see you’re ok, Mira.  Anything to report?”  Mira returned the salute.  “Not much, Buzz.  I engaged with a thief who had gotten their hands on a lot of technology.  My ship got totaled and the thief brought me here.  I was able to get a hold of about half of what she stole, but she managed to get her ship repaired and fly off before I could apprehend her.”  XR’s eyes widened.  “Excuse me?  ‘She’?  Why don’t I ever get the missions that have me go face to face with mysterious lady thieves?”  Mira smirked.  “Meh, who knows?  Maybe you should punch ambassadors more often.” 

“Well we still have a thief on the loose,” Buzz proclaimed.  “We’ll be able to find her, get that stolen property back, and take her in to custody.”  Mira gently grabbed Buzz’s arm.  “Um, actually, there is a little more to it than that, Buzz.”  Buzz raised an eyebrow.  “Really?  What aren’t you telling me, princess?”  Mira looked up to skies of Karn.  “Don’t worry, Buzz.  I’ll make a full report to you.  And Commander Nebula.  Let’s just say for now that those supplies are going to some people who need all the help they can get.” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...