Hollow vs. X-23
MATCH SCORE
Hollow: 2
X-23: 5

Zeorymer vs. Crimson Typhoon
MATCH SCORE
Zeorymer: 2
Crimson Typhoon: 4

Agent Carter S03E03 Match 17443 Daniel Sousa (Agent Carter) and Howard Stark (Marvel) vs. Gunmen

broadwaybeyonder

Episode 3: Headin’ Down the Wrong Highway

August 1st, 1947.  Somewhere over the Midwest United States. 

Daniel Sousa looked out the window of Howard Stark’s private plane.  The sunlight reflected off the wings and scattered across the clouds below them.  “Would you like something, sir?”  Daniel turned to see the attractive redhead in a white stewardess uniform smiling down at him.  She gestured to the beverage cart in front of her.  “Um… no.  Thanks.”  She shrugged and continued on as Howard Stark, in a airline pilot’s outfit and sunglasses, opened the cabin door that led to the cockpit.  He squeezed past the cart and gave a wink to the stewardess as she made her way behind the curtain.  “It’s the only way to travel, eh, Agent Sousa?” Howard said, sitting down next to Daniel.  “I appreciate you letting me use your plane, Howard, but you really didn’t need to come along.” 

Howard adjusted his seat to recline back.  “Don’t be ridiculous.  You said so yourself.  Somebody seems really keen to get their hands on Peg’s file.  And they don’t care about shooting people to do it.  After all she’s done for me, I owe her one.  Probably more than one.”  Howard then took off the sunglasses and shot Daniel a grin.  “Besides, if I help the SSR catch a guy who shot one of their agents, it might give me another feather in my cap with the higher ups.”  Daniel rolled his eyes.  “I should have known.  You’re all heart, aren’t you?” 

“I’m serious!  If I play my cards right, I might wind up running the SSR in a year.  Maybe two!” 

“God helps us all,” Daniel muttered under his breath.  But Howard was already getting out of his seat.  “Relax, Daniel.  I’ve already spoke to my contacts in London about this Driscoll.  He’s a boozehound, but he’s a creature of habit.  We’ll find him, and then you can ask him all you want to know about Peg’s file.  For now, close your eyes and enjoy the flight.  I’m going to uh… check the galley.  Important to make sure we have enough food.”  Daniel gave him a knowing look.  “And enough drinks?”  Howard’s grin widened.  “You’re getting the idea, Agent.”  Howard donned his glasses and ducked behind the curtain.  Daniel sighed and closed his eyes, trying to ignore the noises from the galley. 

New York City, New York.  Midtown South precinct. 

“I must say I am shocked, Miss Carter,” said Acting Chief Flynn in a lecturing tone.  “I read in your file that you had a tendency to knock over hornet’s nests.  But this?!  Not even 24 hours back in New York, and you wind up in the middle of a shoot out!”  Peggy sat at the table in the interrogation room, watching Flynn pace back and forth in front of her.  Her patience had just about reached it’s limit. 

“Chief Flynn….”

“Acting Chief Flynn!” 

“Sir!  I assure you I was not trying to find trouble.  I was going to that theater to support a friend of mine.  Have the police found Angie yet?”  Flynn folded his arms in front of him.  “I am sure the NYPD is doing a thorough job looking for Miss Martinelli.  They may be a little more preoccupied in the search for this Adams woman.”  Peggy got up from the table, walking gingerly after her fight with Miss Masque.  “Sir, the SSR needs to assist in this investigation!  Miss Adams is not in her right frame of mind, and appears to possess intensive combat training.” 

“Miss Carter, the NYPD are dealing with the Adams investigation.  I’m sure they can handle some woman who obviously suffered some sort of nervous breakdown.” 

“A nervous breakdown?  Miss Adams went from being a one woman army to a scared child.  Somethings not right here, Chief, and I’m thinking it might have something to do with these Maggia attacks.’ 

Flynn scoffed.  “Still trying to insert yourself into that investigation, Miss Carter?  The reports clearly state that the individual behind these assaults is a man in red and blue costume wielding a boomerang.  This is a case of a highly strung actress who snapped, nothing more, nothing less.”

Peggy was about to protest, when the door to the interrogation room opened and a police officer stuck his head in.  “Miss Carter?  We called the Stark house and Miss Martinelli is there, but she says she needs to speak to you.”  Peggy breezed past Flynn and out the door.  “Don’t think I’m not done with you, Carter!” he yelled.  “You get yourself to Stark’s mansion and stay there until you are called upon!  Is that clear?” 

“Oh sod off,”  Peggy muttered under her breath.  She reached the desk and was handed the phone by the officer on duty.  “Angie?  It’s Peggy.  Where have you been?  Mr. Jarvis and I looked for you after the police got to the theater and couldn’t find you!” 

“Sorry, English,” Angie’s voice replied.  “Something came up.”  Peggy could hear the nervous tone in Angie’s voice.  “Angie, what’s wrong?  Is someone with you?” 

“I don’t have time.  You need to come to the mansion, as quick as you can.  No cops.  Nobody from the telephone company.  You understand?” 

Peggy looked around the precinct, trying to gather herself.  “Angie?  I need you to stay calm.  I’m on my way with Mr. Jarvis.   We’re coming to get you.” 

“Thanks, Peg.  Don’t keep me waiting, will ya?”  Angie placed the telephone on the receiver.  She was sitting in her room in the Stark mansion, and in front of her was Diana Adams.  She was still in her Miss Masque attire minus the mask, and her revolver was aimed at Angie.  “Well, I did what you asked, Diana,” Angie tried to say calmly.  “Could you put the gun down, and maybe we could talk about this?” 

“We have nothing to talk about it!” shouted Angie.  “I need to talk to Carter!” 

“Why?  Why her?  She’s just a girl who works for the telephone company!” 

Diana gave a humorless laugh.  “Oh please.  It’s obvious.  The way she fights, the way she tries to deescalate conflicts.  All the marks of an operative.  I need her.”  Angie looked at the door behind Diana.  “And how would you know about that stuff?  Listening to the Shadow or something?”  Diana’s face grew pale.  Her expression became scared and confused.  “I don’t know.  I honestly don’t know.  I don’t know how I was able to fight her like I did.  Or how I was able to fight off Nefaria’s guards.”  Her expression suddenly became more confident and she re-aimed her revolver at Angie.  “I also don’t know how I know the most efficient ways to kill someone, but I know them.  And I will not be afraid to use them if Carter doesn’t give me what I want.”  Angie’s breath quickened and she bit her lip.  “And just what do you want?” she sobbed.  Diana’s face softened once again.  “I want to know.” 

London, England.  The Lady Coleen pub. 

Nick Driscoll sat at the bar, finishing up his pint.  He slammed down his glass, and wiped some of the beer from his mouth.  “Barkeep!  Another round, if you please!” 

“And I’ll pay for it!”  Driscoll looked in surprise as Howard Stark sat on the stool next to his.  “Listen, mate, I don’t need help buying drinks.”  Howard gave a friendly smile.  “Oh it’s no trouble at all.  In fact, I know a great place where you can enjoy that beer.  Make your way to the private room on the other end of the bar.”  Driscoll snorted and picked up his drink.  “Push off, yank.  I’m drinking this here.”  Driscoll suddenly felt the pressure of an object into his ribs.  Howard continued smiling and his tone stayed cheerful as he spoke.  “I know you are in government intelligence.  So I know you know who I am.  And you know what I can make.  The item that’s being jabbed into your ribs is a little gadget I’ve been working on.  A flick of a switch, and I send an electrical current into your body.  The mildest setting might just shock you, but the stronger setting will send you into cardiac arrest.  So you can either drop right here and everyone will think you’re having a seizure, or you can get yourself to the back room slowly, and you’ll get to finish your drink.” 

Driscoll gulped, then rose from his stool and made his way to the back room with Howard behind him.  In the private room, Daniel sat at a booth.  “Did he give you any trouble?”  Howard shook his head, pulling the spoon out from Driscoll’s back.  “Oh none at all.  Thanks to my latest invention.  I think I’ll call it… the spoon.”  Driscoll looked in disbelief at Daniel.  “What is this?  I know he’s Howard Stark, but who the bloody hell are you?” 

“I’m a friend of Jack Thompson,” said Daniel, his eyes not wavering from Driscoll.  “I want to know where you got the file you gave him.”  Driscoll looked behind him and gave a nervous laugh.  “File?  What file? Look, you say you’re a friend of Jack’s?  So am I.  It was just a mistake, alright?” 

“A mistake that nearly got Jack killed,” Daniel said rising from the booth.  Driscoll fell back into a chair in shock.  “Killed?  My God.  You mean, someone tried to kill Jack?” 

“And then ran off with the file you gave him.  The file on Peggy Carter!”

Driscoll held up his hands in front of him pleading.  “Look, mate, let me explain!  I didn’t mean to give him the wrong file!  I didn’t!”  Howard and Daniel shared a look, then Daniel turned back to Driscoll.  “What do you mean the wrong file?”  Driscoll loosened his tie and set his pint on the table.  “Jack asked me to do him a favor.  He wanted information on Margaret Carter.  I searched through the SOE files and found a redacted file under M. Carter and I figured it was hers!” 

“You handed Jack a file without even knowing it was the right one?” barked Daniel.  “It was a redacted file!” Driscoll argued.  “I didn’t think he was going to make heads or tails of it anyway!  But then I did some more digging, in case he wanted more dirt on Carter.  But then I found it!  That file wasn’t for Margaret Carter!  It was…” 

Driscoll’s pleas were cut short as a bullet from a silenced pistol pierced his skull.  “Howard!  Get down!”  Daniel and Howard hit the floor as another round of bullets flew in from the bar.  Daniel flipped the table over to give them cover and peeked over it.  There were 6 men in trench coats at the bar, and all of them were armed.  The rest of the patrons were gone, and the bartended was slumped across the counter, dead.  Daniel drew his pistol and returned fire.  “I hope you have something more threatening than that spoon, Stark!” Daniel shouted.  Howard reached into his suit pocket and pulled out a handheld metallic device with prongs on the end.  “I certainly do.  I have my electric zapper, and I also have a couple of jitterbug grenades.  Sonic blasts, non lethal.  Haven’t been tested yet, though.”  Daniel looked again at the assailants drawing closer.  “Now’s as good a time as any.” 

OK:

Daniel Sousa (Pistol and SSR training) and Howard Stark (Gadgets) vs 6 gunmen. 

Can Daniel and Howard escape this predicament? 

Stay tuned to find out! 

Game On!   

Learn More About
Daniel Sousa (Agent Carter)
Read more about Daniel Sousa (Agent Carter) at Wikipedia
Official Site: Marvel Links: Wikipedia

Howard Stark (Marvel)
Read more about Howard Stark (Marvel) at Wikipedia
Official Site: Marvel Links: Wikipedia

Gunmen
Read more about Gunmen at Wikipedia
Official Site: Public Domain Links: Wikipedia Free Dictionary Conservapedia

AND NOW THE CONCLUSION

Daniel knocked over a table to give him and Howard cover.  He got off two shots that caught one of their assailants in the shoulder.  He ducked back down and glared at Howard as he fiddled with his jitterbug grenade.  “Will you hurry up with that thing?” he yelled over the gunfire.  “Haven’t you heard you can’t rush a genius?” Howard yelled back. 

Daniel fired another round and hit another man before he heard the click of the empty chamber of his gun.  The four remaining gunmen charged forward into the room.  “Howard, get back!”  Daniel shouted.  He had just used the overturned table to get to his feet when the first gunmen grabbed him and slammed him against a wall.  Daniel through a punch to the man’s head that made him grunt, but he still held firm. 

Howard held up his hands as two of the gunmen approached him.  “Look, fellas, this has all been a misunderstanding.  How about you just let me walk away?  I’ll give you Lauren Bacall’s phone number?  what do you say?”  Neither man looked impressed.  Howard gave a sigh of resignation, then shoved a chair toward the gunmen.  He made a dash for the door, only to get tackled by the third gunmen.  Getting a grip on his zapper, Howard jammed it into the man’s neck, making him convulse and scream in pain before collapsing unconscious. 

Daniel got thrown to the floor within arms reach of his cane.  He grabbed and swung it against the skull of his attacker, and jammed it into his gut.  Clambering to his feet, Daniel swung again and the man fell to the floor.  “HOWARD!”  The two final gunmen had reloaded their guns and aimed them.  Howard twisted a knob on the grenade, and suddenly it started beeping rapidly.  “HIT THE DECK!”  He flung the grenade and it landed between the two gunmen.  They looked down in confusion as Howard and Daniel ducked under tables.  The grenade exploded with a sonic blast that sent both of the gunmen flying into the wall and landing on top of each other in a heap.  Howard and Daniel slowly rose from their hiding places.  “Well, I guess they work,” said Daniel.  “Of course, they worked,” said Howard.  “I made them, didn’t I?” 

Daniel rolled his eyes and moved to the two gunmen.  He grabbed the one that had landed and top and dragged him to the center of the room.  He stuck his crutch into the gunman’s shoulder.  “Who sent you?  Why did they want Driscoll dead?”  The man groaned and tried to squirm out from under the crutch.  “Non ti diro niente, maiale Americano!” 

“Now that’s not a nice thing to say,” said Howard.  Daniel looked incredulously at Howard.  “You speak Italian too.” 

“Well, there was this heiress I met in Florence…”  Daniel turned his attention back to the gunman.  “I’m giving you one more chance to be cooperative.” 

“Ehi, poliziotto!” The other ‘jitterbugged’ gunmen had pulled out something from his pocket.  “Vai all’inferno!”  He pulled a pin from the device and threw it.  “DANIEL!  MOVE!”  Howard grabbed Daniel and dragged him from the room as fast as he could.  They had just reached the door when the grenade exploded.  The two men were sent sprawling into the street as a fireball enveloped the Lady Coleen.  Daniel’s ears were ringing as he coughed and turned to Howard.  “You saved my life.”  Howard held his head as he replied.  “You’d do the same.  Besides, who else going to make the report of how brilliant I was back there?”  Daniel gave a short laugh, but then turned to look back at the burning pub.  Whoever’s file that Driscoll had found, not only did someone want it back, but they weren’t afraid to kill anyone who had seen it. 

New York City, New York.  The mansion of Howard Stark. 

Peggy slowly opened the front door and stepped inside, followed by Jarvis.  “I still think this is not a wise course of action, Miss Carter,” he whispered.  “Miss Adams is clearly an unstable woman, and not to be trusted.”  They moved step by step toward the lounge.  “I understand that, Mr. Jarvis,” Peggy said.  “And bringing in the police or even the SSR would only force her into a corner.  And I’m going to risk Angie’s life.” 

“Miss Carter!  I hear you!  Please come in!”  Peggy and Jarvis stepped into the lounge to see Angie sitting in a chair, and Miss Adams standing behind her with a revolver pointed at her head.  “Angie, are you alright?” Peggy said.  Angie tried to give a brave face, but it wasn’t convincing.  “Oh, been better.  Be careful, English.” 

“Shut up!” Diana yelled.  “Everyone just shut up!”  She slowly raised the gun put her hands above her head.  “I’m sorry.  I’m really sorry.  I just don’t know what’s going on anymore.”  Peggy stepped toward the chair, with Jarvis staying at the entranceway.  “Just give me the gun, Diana.  And we’ll get you some help.”  Diana scoffed.  “Help!  They’ll just lock me away somewhere!  But I’m not a criminal!  I’m not crazy!” 

“Tell that to the folks at 46th Street,” snarked Angie.  “I told you to be quiet!” Diana snapped.  In an instant Peggy had leapt to Diana and wrestled the gun from her hands.  She shoved Angie towards Jarvis, and pointed the gun at Diana as she crouched on the floor.  “Now you are going to answer my questions,” Peggy said.  “And you better answer them truthfully or I’ll make sure they lock you away.  First, what do you remember from the theater?”  Diana starting sobbing as she replied.  “I don’t know.  I remember you, I remember slapping Jervis.”  Jarvis cleared his throat uncomfortably.  “Then Walter fired me and everything went weird.  It was like I was watching myself outside myself, you know?  I could see myself doing things I’ve never done before.  I’ve never picked up a gun in my life!  I’m scared of guns!  Honest!  I only joined the USO because Daddy thought it would be good for my career!”  All other words word drowned out in sobs.  “But why did you come here?  Why hold Angie hostage?”  Diana looked at Peggy through her tears.  “I know who you are.  I can tell.  You are a highly trained operative.  Don’t ask me how I know, because I don’t!  You got to help me!  I’ll never work in this town again if this keeps happening to me!  You got to help me!  Please!” 

Peggy turned and walked back to Angie and Jarvis.  “See?  She’s completely flipped!” said Angie.  “She is rather unhinged, Miss Carter,” Jarvis said.  “Shall I call the SSR?”  Peggy looked back at the weeping actress.  “I’m not sure.  She may be an actress, but she seems particularly in earnest.  It’s possible that someone has given her training and then hid it from her memory; only able to access it when she feels threatened.”  Jarvis raised an eyebrow.  “Hypnosis?  Like Dr. Fennhoff?” 

“Fennhoff has been in solitary confinement ever since the Leviathan incident.  Perhaps we should take Miss Adams to a doctor, someone we can trust.” 

“Dr. Benton.” 

The three turned to look at Diana.  “What did you say?” asked Peggy.  “Dr. Benton,” Diana said, still huddled on the floor.  “We can trust him.” 

“Who’s Dr. Benton?”  Diana looked confused.  “What do you mean, ‘who’s Dr. Benton’?” 

“You’re the one who said his name,” Angie said.  Diana rose to her feet holding her head.  “I don’t know any Dr. Benton.  You see?  I keep saying and doing things and I have no idea how I know how to say and do them!”  Peggy looked to Jarvis.  “Mr. Jarvis, if you would be so kind as to check the directory for any Dr. Benton’s?”  Jarvis gave a concerned look toward Diana.  “Are you sure that is a good idea, Miss Carter?” 

“I’ll answer that: No!” Angie interrupted.  “You’re actually going to let her lead you a wild goose chase when every cop in the city is looking for her?”  Peggy placed a hand on her shoulder.  “I’m sorry, Angie.  But I have a feeling something bigger is going on here than an upset starlet.  Perhaps this Benton can give us some answers.”  Angie sighed.  “Ok.  Fine.  But I’m coming with you.” 

“No.  Absolutely not!  It’s much too dangerous.” 

“That’s why you’ll need me to come along.  Hey, I didn’t live in New York without learning a thing or two.  If you’re going to be dragging Mr. Jarvis around, then I’m coming too!”  Peggy and Jarvis shared a look.  “I guess she isn’t leaving us much of a choice, is she, Mr. Jarvis?” 

“Not particularly, Miss Carter,” said Jarvis dryly.  “I don’t know where she gets it from.” 

Manhattan, New York City.  The mansion of Silvio Manfredi. 

Joseph Manfredi approached the doorway with two Maggia standing guard.  They stepped aside and opened the door to reveal the drawing room of Silvio Manfredi.  He sat in a velvet chair at an ornately carved oak desk.  He was thin and pale, with hair that had long since turned white with age.  But the eyes of the man were still alert and active.  Standing in front of the desk, was Count Nefaria. 

“Joseph, my boy!” he said pleasantly.  He embraced Joseph, who half heartedly returned it.  “It’s been far too long!” 

“Good to see you again, count,” said Joseph, before looking past him to the man sitting at the desk.  “Hiya, Pop.”  Silvio Manfredi stared coldly at his son.  “You’re late.  I was expecting you to land in New York hours ago.”  Joseph moved a chair and sat down, not breaking eye contact with Silvio.  “We had engine trouble.  I had step out of the plane and push.”  Nefaria chuckled.  “Ah, I’ve missed your humor, Joseph.  Didn’t get it from you, eh, Silvio?  Not much for jokes, our Silvermane.” 

“There are many things that a son does not learn from his father,” Silvio stated.  “Unfortunately.”  Count Nefaria cleared his throat, then gave a bow.  “With your permission, Silvio, I will take my leave.” 

“You may go, Nefaria.  I will you see you tomorrow evening.”  And giving a final nod to Joseph, Count Nefaria walked out the room and closed the door.  The two Manfredi’s sat in silence for a moment.  “Aren’t you going to ask me how I’ve been, Pop?” Joseph said sarcastically.  “Say how much I’ve grown?  Or maybe you could tell me why you really need to send that creep Dmitri to get me to come here?” 

“Dmitri is loyal to Maggia.  A trait you sadly lack.  He will stay in charge of our Los Angeles activities until the matter here has been dealt with.”  Silvio suddenly burst into a hacking cough.  Joseph stayed in his chair, unmoved.  “Are you getting worse, Pop?”  Silvio glared at Joseph.  “I’m fine.  You are just like the rest of the families!  Vultures!  Buzzards waiting for me to die so that they can fight for the head of the table!  Well, they aren’t going to get it just yet, and neither will you!  I’ve led the Maggia through three federal investigations, a Depression, and two world wars!  I will not lose my place because the city has become overrun with masked lunatics!”  Shaking, Silvio lifted himself from his chair and moved to look out the window.  “At first, we thought it was just the boys telling stories.  Some monster killing our people.  Then the hits kept coming.  Then Fancy Dan’s boys got beaten up by another man with a cape and a sword.  Now Nefaria tells me one of the actresses in his show put on a mask and nearly killed him!”  Silvio turned to look toward Joseph.  “The heads of the families are getting nervous, thinking that that the Maggia is looking weak.  That it’s time for new leadership.” 

“So you want me here so I can around looking for psychos in masks?” asked Joseph.  Silvio moved back to the desk, breathing shakily.  “Don’t worry, Joseph.  I would never dream of entrusting this to you alone, not if I wanted it done right.  To deal with men like this, we will be needing some help from outside the family.”  Silvio pressed a button under his desk, and a book case sild aside.  From the hidden passage stepped a woman with brown hair in a black and red dress.  “Hello, Joey,” Dottie Underwood smiled sweetly.  “Gee, it’s so nice to see you again.” 

Joseph jumped to his feet and pointed at Dottie.  “What the hell is she doin’ here?!” 

“Mind your language with the lady, Joseph,” Silvio said sternly.  Joseph rushed to the desk and leaned toward Silvio.  “This ain’t no lady, Pop!  The SSR are after her!  She’s nuts!” 

“Says the man whose girlfriend tied me to a chair and tried to kill me,” said Dottie nonchalantly.  “I  must admit it took me a couple of days to get over that.”  Joseph ignored her as he looked at Silvio.  “Pop, listen to me!  She’s got an obsession about this SSR agent, a dame called Carter!” 

“Miss Underwood has already informed me about her… interests,” said Silvio.  “And Count Nefaria has told me that his attempted assassination was interrupted by the timely presence of a Miss Carter.”  Dottie’s smile grew.  “I knew she’d come back home.  Peggy and I had so much fun together, but we’re not done yet.” 

“You can’t trust her!” Joseph said glaring at Dottie.  “I can trust her as much as I can trust you, Joseph!” Silvio snapped.  He slowly rose from his chair and was assisted by Dottie as Joseph looked on in disgust.  “Tomorrow, we will be having a meeting the heads of all the Maggia families.  During which time I will explain my plans to deal with these masked nuisances for good.  And if Miss Carter should interfere with Maggia business, then she will die with them!” 

Stay Tuned for Episode 4: Don’t Go Nowhere!