Rumble 20567 Ed (Street Fighter) vs. Mama Odie vs. Pickle
MATCH SCORE
Ed (Street Fighter): 0
Mama Odie: 0
Pickle (Baki the Grappler): 2

Politics and the like

Z451

Hello everyone,

So, you've no doubt seen me around the site, and know me as a friendly kind of guy, heck all of us are, pretty much.

But, there is something we all need to talk about and be far more mindful of, recently we had an incident in which a user expressed political opinions within a CBUB match, and on that we're not going to be naming names or citing the specifics of the incident, as the affiliated aspects of said business have been dealt with.

Now, I don't want to come down hard on you guys, nor do I want you all to think of me or anyone else in a negative light, that is not the purpose of this thread nor of my intentions from it, instead I hope that we can work together to move forward in the light of our circumstances as a group, site, or in some ways, a family.

To that end, I'm just going to ask one thing of you guys, and one thing only, please, please, refrain from posting political comments or opinions in your matches, comments, etc., as these things are causing some conflict in the site, and making it harder for everyone.

I care about you guys, just like a lot of us probably do, and I care about the site, so I'm all I'm asking is to keep this idea in your minds before you post something else of this type of nature, please let's work together to better the site and each other.

https://www.electricferret.com/forum/index.php?/guidelines/

• Thanks 1

As someone who posted political opinions here long ago, I don't think I really convinced anyone of anything or ultimately added anything. I think that is a fair rule to keep in place.

Might as well say this to everyone. If you spot any politic activity going on the site, please immediately report it to a Moderator (Z451 or DSkillz).

Please Everyone. We want to keep this place free from politics.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Venom 2009 said:

Might as well say this to everyone. If you spot any politic activity going on the site, please immediately report it to a Moderator (Z451 or DSkillz).

Please Everyone. We want to keep this place free from politics.

Thank you for understanding Venom.

Guys, please, one more time, don't post anything political or that bridges into real life issues.

This is going to be the last warning I give to you guys. Please, no mention of political parties, other countries, issues over seas, religion, race, or anything that goes beyond fictional means, please, please, don't do it.

If you do, I will be issuing punishments accordingly.

36 minutes ago, Z451 said:

Thank you for understanding Venom.

Guys, please, one more time, don't post anything political or that bridges into real life issues.

This is going to be the last warning I give to you guys. Please, no mention of political parties, other countries, issues over seas, religion, race, or anything that goes beyond fictional means, please, please, don't do it.

If you do, I will be issuing punishments accordingly.

I'm going to question some of the no mention aspects of the rule. I am not intending to be a malcontent, but the database has characters like https://www.electricferret.com/cbub/cbubcats/show?cid=2175, characters like Iron Man have explicit origins in events like the Vietnam war or the war in Afghanistan in the MCU, there are great fictional characters like Icon and Black Lightning for whom issues of race are often a key aspect of the character. Even just using these characters in the original context might skirt or break this rule in part.

Could we have some more clarity on the fictional means portion of the rule?

I think the concept is good and the rule is good, but I think we might want more guidance.

Again, I am not trying to stir up trouble, but I am worried the rule may be unclear.

1 hour ago, Twogunkid said:

I'm going to question some of the no mention aspects of the rule. I am not intending to be a malcontent, but the database has characters like https://www.electricferret.com/cbub/cbubcats/show?cid=2175, characters like Iron Man have explicit origins in events like the Vietnam war or the war in Afghanistan in the MCU, there are great fictional characters like Icon and Black Lightning for whom issues of race are often a key aspect of the character. Even just using these characters in the original context might skirt or break this rule in part.

I think the concept is good and the rule is good, but I think we might want more guidance.

Again, I am not trying to stir up trouble, but I am worried the rule may be unclear.

HI TwoGunKid

While I understand the query, i do also think you are (perhaps) being intentionally obtuse.  Especially if you are in the Education space.

I am sure you know where the lines are that are going to get an individual shadow banned, dissapeared or canceled, currently. The consequences for engaging in certain types of discourse can be devastating to individuals.  And the Internet never forgets.

In short, the world the CBUB returned to from hibernation is very different from the more free-wheeling one it left.

For a person who runs a public forum, such as myself, these are times requiring reasonable caution.

So, if you understand where the line I mentioned above is, walk back five steps from it, turn around and get in your spaceship. Fly to another planet. You need to be that far back from the line.

If you are writing something on this site and you think it might be concerning, then it probably is.

5 hours ago, Fox said:

HI TwoGunKid

While I understand the query, i do also think you are (perhaps) being intentionally obtuse.  Especially if you are in the Education space.

I am sure you know where the lines are that are going to get an individual shadow banned, dissapeared or canceled, currently. The consequences for engaging in certain types of discourse can be devastating to individuals.  And the Internet never forgets.

In short, the world the CBUB returned to from hibernation is very different from the more free-wheeling one it left.

For a person who runs a public forum, such as myself, these are times requiring reasonable caution.

So, if you understand where the line I mentioned above is, walk back five steps from it, turn around and get in your spaceship. Fly to another planet. You need to be that far back from the line.

If you are writing something on this site and you think it might be concerning, then it probably is.

I'm not trying to be. Honest. I debated posting at all.

I find being more specific is better especially when it comes to rules and policies.

I am fine with accepting "Use your common sense" as a guide for it.

10 hours ago, Twogunkid said:

8 hours ago, Fox said:

HI TwoGunKid

To add a bit of clarity to what has been said, opinions on certain hot topic matters such as politics, religion, etc., are largely part of the collective no-nos we are concerned with, among others, but largely so a part of the things we are monitoring closely.

None of this  is meant to be a snide against anyone, but the situations have changed over the years, and we have to be much more careful about things, as Fox has said.

Hence, whatever you may think about the government of this country, or the government of other countries, the state of the world, racial conflicts, etc., is fine, it's great, and I applaud you for having an opinion, but we can not allow it to be posted here in anyway, or else people might get the wrong impression about the site and the people running it.

If you need some help defining the line or so, before you post something that may delve too deep into opinionated matters, you can certainly PM Fox, D, or myself about these things and we'll talk about it, but at this point, everyone just needs to consider what they're posting in regards to these matters before posting content related to the areas mentioned or any of the other areas of concern.

We will do what we have to do, as it is needed, so just keep that in mind, and we do it not with malice, but out of caution.

Please don't do what is provoking this concern.

Got no issues for me. I'm just here to enjoy and contribute to this community in the way it is intended. Way I see it, I don't get to make the rules so I might as well follow them. Because I want to be here and use this site.

19 hours ago, Twogunkid said:

Pop culture is inherently political anyway. So you're not wrong. 

The reality is that the site has been running for over a year with no issues until a couple people decided to use my writing tournament to push their political views. 

It's completely inexplicable.  We don't even talk about those topics here. With so many other websites out there for that kind of thing, why here?

Anyways, the kind of people who are going to do that need to go elsewhere.

• Like 2