Zeorymer: 2
Crimson Typhoon: 4

Rumble 20581 Zyclops vs. Whitespikes
MATCH SCORE
Zyclops: 2
Whitespikes: 1

Predator (Yautja) feats and capabilities

Guest SmileyPredator

Well...this thread is pretty much called predator feats. What were you expecting when you clicked? I'd love to discuss predator personalities except that there's not much to talk about.

I happen to be the resident Predator expert here on ElectricFerret, so if you want to discuss personalities-- there are very few notable Predators to actually talk about and their personalities.

Master Chief's in-game ability to flip a scorpion tank would be a legimate strength feat were it not for Bungie's subsequent statement that MC's strength is in the 2.5 ton range (correct me if I'm wrong). The only difference between Scarface's in-game gate-lifting feat and MC's in-game tank-flipping feat is that the latter has been overridden (unless a scorpion tank only weighs 2.5 tons).

However, MC's ability to flip scorpion tanks an infinite number of times in the game without tiring is not part of the narrative. An even simpler example...Scarface and MC's ability to sprint infinitely do not mean they have infinite stamina in the narrative.

The mention of Halo's own game mechanics are actually an entire different barrel of fish there, my friend.

-Rakai'Thwei

Guest SmileyPredator

I happen to be the resident Predator expert here on ElectricFerret, so if you want to discuss personalities-- there are very few notable Predators to actually talk about and their personalities.

The mention of Halo's own game mechanics are actually an entire different barrel of fish there, my friend.

-Rakai'Thwei

Let me see...the recurring characters I'm familiar with are Broken Tusk and Top Knot. I suppose Shorty, the midget predator with a Napoleon complex, is also one of the more memorable characters. The blue-armoured predator in Duel (I think he also shows up in Blood Time) is pretty cool.

The movie predators have some personality. I just don't think there's that much to discuss. Feel free to enlighten me.

NOTE: One of the purposes of this thread is to collect feats and showings so that participants in future vs. threads can easily cite them or look them up.

Let me see...the recurring characters I'm familiar with are Broken Tusk and Top Knot.

I am doing a Predator arc with Broken Tusk, it started off if he had survived the events of Prey. I am still going through with it, though I am on a hiatus.

The movie predators have some personality. I just don't think there's that much to discuss. Feel free to enlighten me.

Slight correction there, there is no real "Movieverse" Predators. It's either the AvP Continuity Predators, which encompses the first two films, the AvP films, novels, comics, and the games which have been made in the last twenty years... and then there is the Rodriguez Continuity Predators which follow only the first film, and then ignores the previously established material within the last twenty years and only follows with Rodriguez's PREDATORS reboot.

We have two different continuities.

-Rakai'Thwei

Guest SmileyPredator

I don't use the phrase "movie-verse predators" to refer to a specific continuity. Rather, I say "movie-verse predators" because there seems to be a physical disparity between EU predators and movie predators.

Steve Perry's predators are 2.5m tall (approximately 8'2"). The movie predators were played by guys as short as 6'6". The tallest actors were 7'1" and 7'2".

The EU predators seem to be much faster than the movie predators. I have no doubt this is because the movie predators were played by guys wearing cumbersome suits.

I don't use the phrase "movie-verse predators" to refer to a specific continuity. Rather, I say "movie-verse predators" because there seems to be a physical disparity between EU predators and movie predators.

Steve Perry's predators are 2.5m tall (approximately 8'2"). The movie predators were played by guys as short as 6'6". The tallest actors were 7'1" and 7'2".

The EU predators seem to be much faster than the movie predators. I have no doubt this is because the movie predators were played by guys wearing cumbersome suits.

I don't see any of a difference between the EU and Movie Yautja at all whatsoever just because of an actor's size difference.

And this is coming from someone who has met Ian Whyte, the actor who played Scar and Wolf in the AvP films.

-Rakai'Thwei

Guest SmileyPredator

I don't see any of a difference between the EU and Movie Yautja at all whatsoever just because of an actor's size difference.

Well, Perry's Yautja are 8 feet 2 inches tall on average. Ian Whyte's height is 7 feet 1 inch. In the suit, he's probably at most 7 feet 5 inches tall. That's a 9 inch difference.

In the EU, predators are often described as incredibly fast. I don't really see that in the movies. Just my opinion.

Well, Perry's Yautja are 8 feet 2 inches tall on average. Ian Whyte is 7 feet 1 inch tall. In the suit, he's probably at most 7 feet 5 inches tall. That would be a 9 inch difference.

Predators come in all shapes and sizes. Just because there is a foot difference between the Yautja in the mediums in, doesn't really warrent them as any real significant differences. Now if we're talking about differnces between the Yautja and the Hish, or the Yautja and the Black Super Predators... you might be onto something.

In the EU, predators are often described as incredibly fast. I don't really see that in the movies. Just my opinion.

Well, this is true in some aspects but again... We do know that Predators can dodge bullets, if they see them coming and they can.

I mean from what I know, the EU and the Films, well... at least Predator, Predator 2, AvP, and AvP-R go together and from the various mediums of the Predator franchise we've seen, they're set in the same universe. But this is a different topic altogether so....

-Rakai'Thwei

Guest SmileyPredator

Predators come in all shapes and sizes. Just because there is a foot difference between the Yautja in the mediums in, doesn't really warrent them as any real significant differences. Now if we're talking about differnces between the Yautja and the Hish, or the Yautja and the Black Super Predators... you might be onto something.

In the original trilogy of books (Prey, Hunter's Planet, War...I'm sure you've read them), the standard Yautja height is "two and a half metres" or 8 feet 2 inches. The actor who played the predator in P1 and P2 was 7'2". Ian is 7'1". The predators in the first AvP film and Predators were played by guys ranging from 6'6" to 6'9". All the movie predators would be midgets according to Perry's standard. Well, Wolf and Jungle Hunter would just be short, not quite midgets.

Well, this is true in some aspects but again... We do know that Predators can dodge bullets, if they see them coming and they can.

I mean from what I know, the EU and the Films, well... at least Predator, Predator 2, AvP, and AvP-R go together and from the various mediums of the Predator franchise we've seen, they're set in the same universe. But this is a different topic altogether so....

-Rakai'Thwei

I'm not saying they're not in the same universe, but the speed of a movie predator is limited to the speed of a tall human actor in a cumbersome suit. That's why I generally don't cite the movies when I want to highlight how fast predators are.

In the original trilogy of books (Prey, Hunter's Planet, War...I'm sure you've read them)

Those books were freaking awesome. Sadly, Hunter's Planet might no longer be canon since Three World War seemed to likely retcon the story out.

the standard Yautja height is "two and a half metres" or 8 feet 2 inches. The actor who played the predator in P1 and P2 was 7'2". Ian is 7'1". The predators in the first AvP film and Predators were played by guys ranging from 6'6" to 6'9".

Well, yeah but then again that all goes back to my point of Yautja coming in all shapes and sizes.

As for the guys playing the Black Super Predators (Hish?) in the reboot, those guys were short as hell as far as Predators are concerned. But Rodriguez said that they were supposed to be bigger than the Yautja, and the script made a mention of it too. They also had to resort to camera tricks to make them appear bigger but they didn't look it.

I'm not saying they're not in the same universe, but the speed of a movie predator is limited to the speed of a tall human actor in a cumbersome suit. That's why I generally don't cite the movies when I want to highlight how fast predators are.

Okay, I'll take that.

-Rakai'Thwei

Guest SmileyPredator

Those books were freaking awesome. Sadly, Hunter's Planet might no longer be canon since Three World War seemed to likely retcon the story out.

Yeah, it was the first AvP book I read. Prey was good too. I wasn't a big fan of War. As for retconning, Hunter's Planet and War are actually inconsistent. The Shorty in Hunter's Planet and the Shorty in War are two totally different characters. Weird right?

Well, yeah but then again that all goes back to my point of Yautja coming in all shapes and sizes.

I get your point that predator height varies among different individuals. I'm just saying the movie predators are way below the average height given in the novels. We can go with two options:

1) the movie predators are all just really short for their race

or

2) the average racial height in the movies is different from the average racial height in the EU

I'm inclined to go with option 2 because even within the EU, there is inconsistency. Just a few examples...the height given for the predator in South China Sea is seven feet, and amazingly, the predators in Turnabout are "barely" seven feet tall (I wasn't too happy about that). Turnabout was written by none other than Steve Perry, the guy who had established an average height of eight feet two inches.

• 9 months later...

I found these scans somewhere... But they are definitely legit... Mostly some durability feats...

-Rakai'Thwei

Yautja Durability Feat-- Bazooka at Point Blank

PredatorDurability_zps9c9b1757.jpg

PredatorDurability2_zps5e97b7fc.jpg

Yautja Strength Feat-- Punching Through an Armored Tank

PredatorPunches2_zps45187723.jpg

Yautja Strength Feat-- Demolishing a Helicopter with Three Strikes

PredatorPunches_zps6f9ad0f6.jpg

Last two scans - the tank, you clearly see him using his wristblade instead of actually punching. A distinct difference. He shredded it to bits by repeatedly cutting it open with the blades.

And the other is using its wristblade. Not to mention that type of helicopter is not rather a durable one so not entirely an impressive feat.

Last two scans - the tank, you clearly see him using his wristblade instead of actually punching. A distinct difference. He shredded it to bits by repeatedly cutting it open with the blades.

I know that he was using the wristblades to penetrate through the tank. But the use of a punch to get those wristblades through still applies, since the weapons are often used while punching, thrusting and swings to perform stabs and slashes.

Also, there is still the picture of an Unblooded tearing through a titanium door with his bare hands which the Original Poster had linked.

And the other is using its wristblade. Not to mention that type of helicopter is not rather a durable one so not entirely an impressive feat.

Yeah, I figured since it was a small helicopter.

Really, I'm just posting scans wherever I can find them. SmileyPredator's posted the more impressive ones.

-Rakai'Thwei

Guest force_echo

Could it be? Finally? Yes, a thread that discusses the personality and character of fictional...oh wait...

Its just another thread of feats...son, I am disappoint.

Then why don't you make one instead of bitching about how there are none? Why don't you make a "character" respect thread for Namor (one of the most boring and horrible characters ever thought up by Marvel writers) or someone else? The only one who you deserves "disappointment" is you, "son".

Then why don't you make one instead of bitching about how there are none? Why don't you make a "character" respect thread for Namor (one of the most boring and horrible characters ever thought up by Marvel writers) or someone else? The only one who you deserves "disappointment" is you, "son".

Why are you quoting a post I made almost a year ago now? Are you that desperate to get your licks in at me? Son, I am disappoint.

And for the record, I did make a general all character thread for that. Just got lazy and didn't use it. So yeah, I'm astounded by your intelligence. Keep it up force. You are indeed the last best hope for humanity.

PS: Humanity is now f**ked.

PPS: Ah a jab at Namor. How mature. And petty.

Guest force_echo

Why are you quoting a post I made almost a year ago now? Are you that desperate to get your licks in at me? Son, I am disappoint.

And for the record, I did make a general all character thread for that. Just got lazy and didn't use it. So yeah, I'm astounded by your intelligence. Keep it up force. You are indeed the last best hope for humanity.

PS: Humanity is now f**ked.

PPS: Ah a jab at Namor. How mature. And petty.

Yeah, make another half ass thread with no guidelines (or much of anything really), that'll fix your problem. Or better yet, actually talk about some characters who are interesting. Sorry, I was under the impression that deadpan snarkers were actually remotely funny, instead of annoyingly idiotic.

Vs. a jab at Iron Man, or my physical appearance? Lol, it's hard to take wildly hypocritical claims seriously.