Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

Helena Shaw vs. Lori Quaid
MATCH SCORE
Helena Shaw: 2
Lori Quaid: 3

Match 20440 Athena Asamiya vs. Dazzler

image.jpeg.05306d69bf940e3fbccf5fb469bdf7b0.jpeg

Pop Idol, Athena Asamiya stood before a throng of reporters and flashing cameras, her vibrant smile commanding attention. She was flanked by her Team Psycho Soldiers comrades, Sie Kensou, Chin Gentsai, Bao, and Momoko. It was certainly a strange collection of people for the music megastar to surround herself with in front of the press for this particular event, but she insisted on their presence for moral support.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for joining me today.,” she began. “As you may know, I was invited to perform at this year's Grammy Awards. However, I regret to inform you that I will not be gracing the stage and I have declined the offer."

A ripple of surprise coursed through the room, and questions erupted like a storm.

Athena continued, her voice resolute. "I cannot, in good conscience, participate in an event that perpetuates discrimination. The Grammy Awards have overlooked one of my favorite artists, Alison Blaire, better known to the world as Dazzler. She had a massively popular album this year and it is also the anniversary of her very first release this year. I was confused at first, but It's clear to me now that their reluctance to honor her is due to her status as a mutant."

After a brief moment, the air in the room was again filled with questions as a camera transitioned to a local news reporter detailing the story.

“That was pop sensation, Athena Asamiya, yesterday afternoon turning down the opportunity to perform at this year’s Grammy awards in solidarity with veteran singer and performer, Dazzler. For their part the Grammys have released an official statement in response asking Athena to reconsider in light of the fact that they have formally invited Dazzler to the show to perform in honor of the anniversary of her first album,” the reporter informed. “They even added that it was the plan all along and they just wanted to keep it a surprise. Call me skeptical, but I think the Grammys panicked and didn’t want to lose the chance to book Athena Asamiya on their telecast and ensure the viewership of her throngs of fans that fall into that oh so targeted young demographic they desperately want to reach.”

A television showing this newscast was turned off by Dazzler herself inside of her loft. She was currently being visited by her old X-Men teammate, Kurt Wagner, Nightcrawler. Kurt had come to check on his old friend after the original press conference had gone viral.

“Have you already received the official invitation?” asked Kurt.

“Yeah,” replied Allison.

“Have you given them a response?”

“Not yet,” Allison admitted. She appeared contemplative. “I’ve been thinking it over, I think that reporter is almost certainly right and it’s frustrating me.”

Kurt shrugged. “And what if he is right? It’s still a great opportunity is it not?”

“It’s not that simple.”

“Ah, but it is, fraulein. Whatever the motivation for you being there is, it still doesn’t negate the positive impact your presence can have on the always fragile human mutant dynamic. It is imperative that we as X-Men take advantage of these opportunities.”

Allison considered Kurt’s words as he suddenly teleported to one of her walls in the loft. The wall was covered with instruments and musical memorabilia. “Also, just as important if not more so, is this opportunity will give you the opportunity to do something you almost never get to do.”

“Kurt, I perform all the time.”

“Not like this. You spend so much time helping out the x-men, hanging out with us, and connecting with the mutant side of your identity. How often do you get the chance to rub elbows with your peers in the music industry? Being an entertainer is an equal part of your identity yet you are so often isolated from partaking in that community as well.”

Allison smiled. “I am glad it was you that decided to visit me on this day. I can see many of our other teammates trying to steer me in the opposite direction.”

Kurt bowed playfully. “Always glad to be of service.”

Dazzler sent out a formal acceptance to the Grammy Awards and in a couple of days time, Athena also reaccepted her invitation. A few weeks later, Athena had arrived at the venue to practice her performance. To her surprise, Dazzler was there waiting for her.

Dazzler extended a hand. “We have not formally met yet, I am Allison.”

Athena beamed with excitement. "Hi, I'm Athena. I’m a big fan. It’s such a pleasure to meet you.”

“You’re too kind,” Dazzler responded. “I wanted to make sure I came to you in person before the show to thank you for your public support for me and for mutants.”

“Any time. Whenever I can use my platform for some positive change I am more than happy to do so,” Athena declared.

“Well I don’t want to take up too much of your time. I know you only have a few hours of practice time,” said Dazzler.

Dazzler turned to walk away, but Athena called out to her.

“Hey, could I ask you for a favor?”

Dazzler turned back around. “Sure.”

“Do you think we could do a duet sometime? I bet our two sounds would blend together beautifully.”

“Yeah, sounds great,” answered Dazzler.

“Awesome. Also uh can I ask something else of you. You see, you don’t only inspire me as an entertainer but also as a fighter. I have seen some videos of your fights with the X-Men. You are amazing,” Athena complimented. “If you are free this afternoon I was hoping we could spar.”

Dazzler was confused. “You’re a fighter?”

“Yes ma'am. I am a member of the Psycho Soldiers. Although we are not mutants, we also have powers. We have fought against evil invading our hometown and we participate in the King of Fighters tournament. We have yet to win a tournament but I’m confident it’s only a matter of time. I think my skills have improved significantly since the last tournament and I want to see how they would stack up in a fight against one of the mighty X-Men,” Athena explained.

“Ok then, have your people call my people when you're done, we’ll set it up.”

Dazzler is way more powerful. She was never really a successful X-Man but there's nothing else she's associated with so all of her appearances are tied to them. She    has to have some level of training is my point. Athena is cool but I don't see her measuring up.

Very interesting set-up, Johnny. Good way to tie Athena's pop star roots into Dazzler's world. 

As for the match, if this were a serious fight, I don't have much doubt Dazzler would overwhelm Athena with her powers. Since this is more or less a friendly skirmish, though, Athena should win through her superior fighting skill. 

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - Boratz
4.80 - DSkillz
4.50 - broadwaybeyonder

FPA Calculation:
3 Total Votes cast
14.30 Total Combined Score
14.30 / 3 = 4.77 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Athena Asamiya: 2
Dazzler: 4