Slot: The Team's Athlete
Season Wins: 2
Season Losses: 1
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Ippo Makunouchi at Wikipedia
Official Site: Shonen Jump

Battle Terrain
Team Athlete Challenge: MMA

Mr Terrific is an expert martial artist who hangs with the Justice League. In general, a diverse style favours you in MMA and a pure boxer is going to struggle when, for example, his legs are kicked out or he is put in a lock. 

• Like 1

T may be a martial artist, but his primary combat style relies on the T-Spheres. He won't have them in an MMA match. Ippo has experience in fights with rules and Mr. T's tendency to rely on his tech to augment his fighting is going to be a weakness.

Ippo has broken ribs while wearing boxing gloves and has matched and overpowered other athletes who in theory are younger, faster, and stronger. He has surpased boxers whose speed was previously too fast to be percieved. Ippo's extreme ability to take a beating will serve him well here. Repeatedly Ippo takes beatings that would leave other boxers on the mats and he keeps coming. He often will take hits to ensure he lands critical blows.  Terrific doesn't have Ippo's speed, strength, or durability.

9 hours ago, Twogunkid said:

T may be a martial artist, but his primary combat style relies on the T-Spheres. He won't have them in an MMA match. Ippo has experience in fights with rules and Mr. T's tendency to rely on his tech to augment his fighting is going to be a weakness.

Ippo has broken ribs while wearing boxing gloves and has matched and overpowered other athletes who in theory are younger, faster, and stronger. He has surpased boxers whose speed was previously too fast to be percieved. Ippo's extreme ability to take a beating will serve him well here. Repeatedly Ippo takes beatings that would leave other boxers on the mats and he keeps coming. He often will take hits to ensure he lands critical blows.  Terrific doesn't have Ippo's speed, strength, or durability.

Whilst he does use the T-spheres (and often against heavy hitters), he is a superb fighter and athlete, and frequently practices his martial arts without the T-spheres (even boxing for example, where he one shots a guy whilst using the Tspheres as a running knowledge quiz). 

Terrific-Box.png

On 1/30/2024 at 5:52 PM, Culwych1 said:

Whilst he does use the T-spheres (and often against heavy hitters), he is a superb fighter and athlete, and frequently practices his martial arts without the T-spheres (even boxing for example, where he one shots a guy whilst using the Tspheres as a running knowledge quiz). 

Terrific-Box.png

Ippo takes punches like that to garuantee victory. My man is crazy tenacious in a way I don't recall seeing Mr. Terrific ever handle. He then breaks ribs in sparing. Ippo doesn't just crack ribs while wearing boxing gloves, he annihilates them. There is some mad punching force here that Mr. Terrific cannot match.

EDIT: Fixed broken link

5 hours ago, Twogunkid said:

Ippo takes punches like that to garuantee victory. My man is crazy tenacious in a way I don't recall seeing Mr. Terrific ever handle. Ippo doesn't just crack ribs while wearing boxing gloves, he annihilates them. There is some mad punching force here that Mr. Terrific cannot match.

Not taking anything away from Ippo in regards to boxing; I was just showcasing the Mr Terrific is no slouch there either. But key here is that this is MMA and not a boxing ring, and Mr Terrific is a mixed martial artist who regularly battles superpowered villains, ninjas, soldiers, monsters, and aliens using his fists and fighting skills.  

8 hours ago, Culwych1 said:

Not taking anything away from Ippo in regards to boxing; I was just showcasing the Mr Terrific is no slouch there either. But key here is that this is MMA and not a boxing ring, and Mr Terrific is a mixed martial artist who regularly battles superpowered villains, ninjas, soldiers, monsters, and aliens using his fists and fighting skills.  

Terrific is a great fighter and you certainly can argue he has a wide array of experience. That clip was to showcase the striking power differential. Ippo can smash bones completely. Further even with broken bones, Ippo fights on like it is no matter. Ippo is a tenacious opponent and his speed, resilience, and power will overcome Mr. T's versatility and experience.

(Ippo is no slouch in experience either, so I don't think that Terrific's experience edge is as significant as it might be against a lesser opponent)

8 hours ago, Twogunkid said:

Terrific is a great fighter and you certainly can argue he has a wide array of experience. That clip was to showcase the striking power differential. Ippo can smash bones completely. Further even with broken bones, Ippo fights on like it is no matter. Ippo is a tenacious opponent and his speed, resilience, and power will overcome Mr. T's versatility and experience.

(Ippo is no slouch in experience either, so I don't think that Terrific's experience edge is as significant as it might be against a lesser opponent)

Speed and striking power matter little when the opponent can sweep your legs, bring you to the ground, put you in a lock, and forcr you to submission. 

If anyone does watch MMA, the perfect example here is thr famous fight between Khabib and McGregor. The latter is an amazing striker, fast powerful punches that were feared in 2 divisions (in which he was champion). Also an extremely determined and resilient fighter who would never give in. He was such a good striker, he competed in boxing matches, including against the champ Maywether.

Khabib, a good striker but also a grappler and all round talent. In 4 rounds, he wore McGregor out and put him in a head lock that meant he either needed to tap out or would pass out (the neck crank).

18 hours ago, Culwych1 said:

Speed and striking power matter little when the opponent can sweep your legs, bring you to the ground, put you in a lock, and forcr you to submission. 

If anyone does watch MMA, the perfect example here is thr famous fight between Khabib and McGregor. The latter is an amazing striker, fast powerful punches that were feared in 2 divisions (in which he was champion). Also an extremely determined and resilient fighter who would never give in. He was such a good striker, he competed in boxing matches, including against the champ Maywether.

Khabib, a good striker but also a grappler and all round talent. In 4 rounds, he wore McGregor out and put him in a head lock that meant he either needed to tap out or would pass out (the neck crank).

I never heavily watched it but one of my former co-workers fought as an MMA fighter and talked me through a lot of it. Boxing is a very solid base for MMA fighters. Boxers have excellent footwork and striking technique and it can carry them far. (I would be curious as to what Mr. T's martial arts are as many martial arts are bogus for MMA. I'd imagine he and Batman both know Krav Maga which would be disallowed because of the nature of some of its strikes. I did a sweep but could not find anything other than Wing Chung and Boxing which are both striking arts not grappling ones.)

Ippo's massive lower body strength allows him to throw punches at odd and unexpected angles and has had opponents call him an immovable rock in the ring. 

Mr. Terrific is intelligent, but Ippo easily maintained a ludicrous training schedule and could get into any college. His versatility and adaptability in a fight will serve him well.

Honestly like Po and Trevor I see these two really liking each other post match.

6 hours ago, Twogunkid said:

I never heavily watched it but one of my former co-workers fought as an MMA fighter and talked me through a lot of it. Boxing is a very solid base for MMA fighters. Boxers have excellent footwork and striking technique and it can carry them far. (I would be curious as to what Mr. T's martial arts are as many martial arts are bogus for MMA. I'd imagine he and Batman both know Krav Maga which would be disallowed because of the nature of some of its strikes. I did a sweep but could not find anything other than Wing Chung and Boxing which are both striking arts not grappling ones.)

Ippo's massive lower body strength allows him to throw punches at odd and unexpected angles and has had opponents call him an immovable rock in the ring. 

Mr. Terrific is intelligent, but Ippo easily maintained a ludicrous training schedule and could get into any college. His versatility and adaptability in a fight will serve him well.

Honestly like Po and Trevor I see these two really liking each other post match.

It is definitely a solid base, and is needed, but no boxer can survive or has survived in the MMA ring simply because a lot of the fights end with flying kicks, knees to the head, or on the ground wrestling. 

Agreed, they'd probably get a long - although sometimes Mr Terrific can be a bit blunt lol.

12 hours ago, Culwych1 said:

It is definitely a solid base, and is needed, but no boxer can survive or has survived in the MMA ring simply because a lot of the fights end with flying kicks, knees to the head, or on the ground wrestling. 

Agreed, they'd probably get a long - although sometimes Mr Terrific can be a bit blunt lol.

Mr. Terrific can be blunt.

I am curious as to Mr. Terrific's grappling feats or martial arts pertaining to grappling he knows. As I stated, I could only find boxing and wing chung. Both of those are striking arts not grappling ones and while Mr. Terrific is tough, grappling doesn't seem to be his MO while he fights.

1 hour ago, Twogunkid said:

Mr. Terrific can be blunt.

I am curious as to Mr. Terrific's grappling feats or martial arts pertaining to grappling he knows. As I stated, I could only find boxing and wing chung. Both of those are striking arts not grappling ones and while Mr. Terrific is tough, grappling doesn't seem to be his MO while he fights.

Most martial arts apart from perhaps kickboxing and capoeira include an element of grappling, some more than others. He's a black belt in 6, so there must be an element but I can't recall the exact ones. 

A quick google search came up with this as one of the first images, which looks a lot like a Judo or Jujutsu throw which is favoured in MMA. 

Ttf.png.c777171ccec5a7983d6d53d6baed5aef.png

19 minutes ago, Culwych1 said:

Most martial arts apart from perhaps kickboxing and capoeira include an element of grappling, some more than others. He's a black belt in 6, so there must be an element but I can't recall the exact ones. 

A quick google search came up with this as one of the first images, which looks a lot like a Judo or Jujutsu throw which is favoured in MMA. 

Ttf.png.c777171ccec5a7983d6d53d6baed5aef.png

That definitely looks like Judo. A strong case for Mr. Terrific, Ippo's best shot is ending this with a decisive knockout blow which he has the power to do then.

9 minutes ago, Twogunkid said:

That definitely looks like Judo. A strong case for Mr. Terrific, Ippo's best shot is ending this with a decisive knockout blow which he has the power to do then.

Mr Terrific survived an explosion of Nth metal bomb pretty much to the face, and defeated an opponent in the ice whilst he had two broken ribs. I'm less keen on this one, but he managed to keep on fighting after an attack that was breaking him down at a molecular level! He's not going down to a decisive knockout blow, before he's forced Ippo to submit. 

4 minutes ago, Culwych1 said:

Mr Terrific survived an explosion of Nth metal bomb pretty much to the face, and defeated an opponent in the ice whilst he had two broken ribs. I'm less keen on this one, but he managed to keep on fighting after an attack that was breaking him down at a molecular level! He's not going down to a decisive knockout blow, before he's forced Ippo to submit. 

I swear comic book authors don't know what a baseline human is anymore. I half expect to see a scan of Kiteman tanking the Death Star anyday now.

1 minute ago, Twogunkid said:

I swear comic book authors don't know what a baseline human is anymore. I half expect to see a scan of Kiteman tanking the Death Star anyday now.

Agreed - characters are plot driven. Saying that, I've been watching Baki - and those supposed "humans" are literally regrowing their teeth in the middle of a fight or throwing punches after their hands have been chopped off. 

22 minutes ago, Culwych1 said:

Agreed - characters are plot driven. Saying that, I've been watching Baki - and those supposed "humans" are literally regrowing their teeth in the middle of a fight or throwing punches after their hands have been chopped off. 

Ippo is decidedly mortal. His knee cartilidge takes damage from the Dempsey roll as an overrelied on aspect of his career. I don't think I have a striking feat that trumps a molecular breakdown. He's smashed a brick wall and perhaps without the T-Mask, T-spheres and nanomachines Ippo has him.

This is one of three matches where I expected an extremely uphill battle (the others being Scrooge vs Death and Herbie vs Blur) I'd like to think I've made good cases.

Yeah, I'm thinking Holt's skill in multiple martial arts gives him the edge here in MMA.