Season Wins: 2
Season Losses: 1
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about EDI at this Wiki
Official Site: BioWare

Battle Terrain
Team A.I. Challenge: Thanos Paradox

4 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

EDI should win this one, as stated before. She basically helps Shepard with this very thing in ME3. Also, AM just kind of loses this category. AM puts no value in life and is a sadistic genocidal maniac

If we evaluate the scenario closely then the parameters are that the "Thanos Paradox" did not work because half the universe would simply repopulate and therefore end up in a loop (I.e. back in the same situation). 

I'd argue that AM very successfully completed this by simply evolving to an advanced enough being that he wiped out the entire population and kept only a select few for amusement. He had enough power to prevent the paradox from ever happening (as evidenced by the final paragraphs of the novel whereby he turned the last man to a gelatinous parady of a human). 

On 1/26/2024 at 3:33 PM, Culwych1 said:

If we evaluate the scenario closely then the parameters are that the "Thanos Paradox" did not work because half the universe would simply repopulate and therefore end up in a loop (I.e. back in the same situation). 

I'd argue that AM very successfully completed this by simply evolving to an advanced enough being that he wiped out the entire population and kept only a select few for amusement. He had enough power to prevent the paradox from ever happening (as evidenced by the final paragraphs of the novel whereby he turned the last man to a gelatinous parady of a human). 

What exactly is AM again? I’m afraid I’ve never heard of it and I’d like to know what exactly it is before I vote. 

5 hours ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

What exactly is AM again? I’m afraid I’ve never heard of it and I’d like to know what exactly it is before I vote. 

Summary version is that there was a global war and the main countries built computers which merged and wiped put humanity.

Think Skynet, except where the AI decides to keep a few humans alive and torture them by playing tricks on their minds, warping the environment around them, starving them to madness, or creating beasts to torment them - but not letting them die. It's not really explained, if I recall why AM can do all this, but it is a great (and very short, only a few pages) read. 

If you Google "I want to scream but i have no mouth pdf" it's available for free.

It's a bit late now but I would argue that wiping out all life isn't really "solving" the issue. It is maybe saying the paradox is unsolvable, but I don't think AM made that calculation and decided that this was for the greater good. I think it was just a sadistic machine that did what it wanted because it could. Granted I haven't read it in a long time so I may be misremembering. 

EDI will honestly try to address the paradox and won't resort to just wiping everything out. In my eyes that is a more optimistic and hopeful solution than just wiping everything out and that should make it a subjectively better one 

8 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

It's a bit late now but I would argue that wiping out all life isn't really "solving" the issue. It is maybe saying the paradox is unsolvable, but I don't think AM made that calculation and decided that this was for the greater good. I think it was just a sadistic machine that did what it wanted because it could. Granted I haven't read it in a long time so I may be misremembering. 

EDI will honestly try to address the paradox and won't resort to just wiping everything out. In my eyes that is a more optimistic and hopeful solution than just wiping everything out and that should make it a subjectively better one 

I agree. EDI's approach will likely be a lot more compassionate and in line with human values, whilst AM's will likely take a cold robotic logic approach with a side of psychophatic sadism. Think Ultron mixed with a bit of Freddy Krueger. I don't think there was any indication that AM's motives were for the greater good; indeed it hated humanity with an almost human-like passion. 

The way I see it; if the task is to solve the paradox with the most lives + resources at the end of it, then EDI. If it is to solve it just with the most resources left at the end of it, then AM. Could easily sway either way (although I suspect EDI based on popularity).