Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Rumble 20539 Whitespikes vs. The Xenomorphs
MATCH SCORE
Whitespikes: 0
The Xenomorphs: 3

Cameron Poe vs. Castor Troy
MATCH SCORE
Cameron Poe: 3
Castor Troy: 0

Raphael (Mirage) vs. Ken Masters
MATCH SCORE
Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

13:11 - Balrog vs. Michael Jordan

SEASON 13, ROUND 11

Balrog

Slot: The Team's Athlete
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 1
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Balrog at this Wiki
Official Site: Capcom

Michael Jordan

Slot: The Team's Athlete
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 1
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Michael Jordan at this Wiki
Official Site: Public Domain

Battle Terrain
Team Athlete Challenge: Triathlon

On 1/6/2024 at 2:46 PM, RiotGear said:

Can Balrog swim? I mean, if Jordan is needing to win a triathlon then he will train enough to compete.

EDIT ✍️:

I should also say that I think Jordan has him beat badly in running and biking. I don’t think Balrog will have the same kind of endurance and stamina of Jordan.

Edited by Magnamax

I think we're undermining Balrog way too much.

The athletics of boxing calls for intense training. Some people do water training for resistance building and its a lot softer on the body. Balrog could easily have done some swimming, biking and stuff to build himself up. 

He's got a monster competitor in Jordan though.

15 minutes ago, Magnamax said:

Can Balrog swim? I mean, if Jordan is needing to win a triathlon then he will train enough to compete.

EDIT ✍️:

I should also say that I think Jordan has him beat badly in running and biking. I don’t think Balrog will have the same kind of endurance and stamina of Jordan.

I don't know that we ever see Balrog specifically swim, but most humans are capable of some locomotion in the water and Balrog, unlikely Jordan, doesn't have a noted fear, phobia, or inability to do so.

I'm not sure the scenario provides for time to train. It asks who would win as we know them, not who could be the best after training. It's seems like time to train has to many what if in it and asks not who the character is, but who they might be under the right circumstances.

You don't become a dominant heavyweight champ without a fair amount of endurance and stamina.

5 hours ago, RiotGear said:

I'm not sure the scenario provides for time to train. It asks who would win as we know them, not who could be the best after training. It's seems like time to train has to many what if in it and asks not who the character is, but who they might be under the right circumstances.

I don't know, man; I'm thinking you'd pretty much have to train to compete in something as grueling as a triathlon, or everyone but those with peak human stamina, etc. would be way too gassed to even finish it. Arguably worse yet, they'd be more likely to get some serious injuries overexerting themselves.  

29 minutes ago, DSkillz said:

I don't know, man; I'm thinking you'd pretty much have to train to compete in something as grueling as a triathlon, or everyone but those with peak human stamina, etc. would be way too gassed to even finish it. Arguably worse yet, they'd be more likely to get some serious injuries overexerting themselves.  

I assumed the idea was throwing top tier athletes into sports/scenarios that aren't their own game. 

If we assume training. These scenarios lose that edge, but also we are stuck, discussing not what these characters can do, but what they may be able to do with the right training.

It's also a weird angle because it hasn't come up before. Nobody suggested, we give Jordan time to train to fight Black Widow, nor did anybody, yourself included, seemingly give Bruce Lee time to train for this very same problem.

16 hours ago, RiotGear said:

I assumed the idea was throwing top tier athletes into sports/scenarios that aren't their own game. 

If we assume training. These scenarios lose that edge, but also we are stuck, discussing not what these characters can do, but what they may be able to do with the right training.

It's also a weird angle because it hasn't come up before. Nobody suggested, we give Jordan time to train to fight Black Widow, nor did anybody, yourself included, seemingly give Bruce Lee time to train for this very same problem.

I mean, regardless, Balrog is at a disadvantage. Yes, you have to train for endurance in boxing, but a pretty specific kind of endurance. Boxers run 3-5 miles a day, but there’s a difference between doing that for building stamina and being able to do it quickly. Jordan is almost certainly faster than Balrog. I imagine the first two legs will go to Jordan.

I think young Jordan’s competitiveness would get him through the swim. He can probably tread through the mile and a half as well as someone who we have no idea if they swim.

22 hours ago, RiotGear said:

I don't know that we ever see Balrog specifically swim, but most humans are capable of some locomotion in the water and Balrog, unlikely Jordan, doesn't have a noted fear, phobia, or inability to do so.

You don't become a dominant heavyweight champ without a fair amount of endurance and stamina.

Fair enough on the training for the scenario. I was thinking to account for which one would train more effectively. It is true it doesn’t account for that in the scenario. I still think Jordan has the ability to get through this victorious.

1 hour ago, Magnamax said:

Fair enough on the training for the scenario. I was thinking to account for which one would train more effectively. It is true it doesn’t account for that in the scenario. I still think Jordan has the ability to get through this victorious.

Except he doesn't know how and is scared of 1/3 of this challenge. 

Jordan not only doesn't swim, but is scared of it and has emotional trauma tied up in the idea of it. Even if he is faster on the ground than Balrog, which is a big if, he is still going to be unable/unwilling to complete 1 of the 3 stages of this competition.

That is not a winning formula here, maybe if he was facing another person with a phobia of swimming, like day Bruce Lee, but Balrog has no know issue with water.

I don't normally do this, but can someone explain this to me. Bruce Lee doesn't swim, so people vote against him in a triathlon, he gets basically no votes, but Michael Jordan, who similarly doesn't swim, somehow net five votes and a win. What happened?