Jackson Storm: 0

Archangel vs. Gambit
MATCH SCORE
Archangel: 1
Gambit: 4

Match 19561 Bushroot vs. Amingo

JohnnyChany

image.jpeg.1a3172f31b5c161f62ec128316f92949.jpeg

Harley Quinn led Poison Ivy by the hand with her eyes covered into a large stadium.

HARLEY: Okay, we’re here. Get ready.

IVY: This better be good.

HARLEY: Oh it is, I promise.

Harley removed her hands from Ivy’s eyes. Poison Ivy was greeted by the sight of spectators filling into their seats and Earth Day decorations everywhere. In the center of the stadium field was a large square platform surrounded by various plants and trees. 

IVY: What is this?

HARLEY: A celebration of Earth Day, of course. And a belated birthday present, I still feel bad about it.

Ivy turned her head to see an expansive brown banner spread across the bleacher area. On the banner read “NATURE FIGHTS BACK: AN EARTH DAY FIGHTING TOURNAMENT”

IVY: A fighting tournament?

HARLEY: Not just any fighting tournament. A fighting tournament where all the competitors have plant based abilities or are plants themselves, just like you Red.

IVY: Harley… why would you think I would want to watch my babies be used to bash and batter each other?

HARLEY: You’re looking at it all wrong, Red. All these fans are going to see nature in a way they never have before and it will make them appreciate the green much more. All the proceeds are going to reforestation projects and…and you wanna know the best part?

IVY: What’s that?

HARLEY: I’m thinking we can recruit the winner as an ally. If they can survive this tournament surely they can help us cause some chaos in Gotham City.

IVY: Now you’re talking.

Harley beamed at Ivy before excusing herself to fulfill her duties as host of the tournament. 

Harley jumped on a platform and walked up to a podium.

HARLEY: Good afternoon, ladies and gents and welcome to the show! First a special shout out to a special lady, who was the inspiration for today’s festivities. Everyone clap your hands for Poison Ivy!

Harley Quinn paused for applause.

HARLEY: Now let me introduce you to today’s competitors. They have traveled here from different worlds and different realms for the chance to claim the tournament’s grand prize. There are eight challengers.

Eight potted Piranha Plants of different colors were brought on stage behind Harley Quinn.

HARLEY: After their introduction, each challenger will come to the stage and pick the Piranha Plant of their choice. The Piranha Plant will then reveal a number between 1 and 8. That number will be the challenger’s location on the tournament board. One faces two, three faces four, five faces six, and seven faces eight. Once all the brackets have been filled we will take a brief break and then begin the tournament  Remember gambling is encouraged. 

A loud ovation erupted in the crowd.

HARLEY: Let me introduce our first challenger, he comes from a really cool world that has talking ducks that I want to visit someday. He is a member of St. Canard’s notorious Fearsome Five, a brilliant scientist, and also a plant duck hybrid. Ladies and gents, welcome Bushroot.

Bushroot walked timidly onto the field, he was not expecting to be called out first. He was unsure of what he had got himself into and what kind of opponents he would face, but he remained determined to win. Bushroot reached the stage and selected the purple Piranha Plant that matched the color of his hair. The Piranha Plant revealed the number 1.

BUSHROOT: What are the odds?

HARLEY QUINN: Congratulations sweetie, you get to fight first.

Bushroot did not appear excited and slowly ambled his way to the side of the stage. where he would be joined by all the others after they had selected their numbers.

HARLEY QUINN: Our next challenger hails from Blue Earth, Minnesota where he has promoted canned and frozen vegetables for almost a century all with a big smile on his face. Everyone say hello to the Jolly Green Giant!

The stadium shook as the Green Giant mascot stepped onto the field. Bushroot’s eyes bulged out. 

BUSHROOT: Please don’t be number 2! Please don’t be number 2!

The Jolly Green Giant paused in front of Harley’s stage.

HARLEY: You can just wait right there, green guy, and point to the plant you want. Don’t want you destroying all the hard work that went into building this thing, you know.

The Jolly Green Giant pointed to the green Piranha Plant and Harley Quinn lifted it up to reveal the number 4.

BUSHROOT: Phew.

HARLEY: Moving right along, keep your eyes focused ladies and gents because our next challenger from the Evergreen Forest of Eternia is a master of blending in with the environment. Cast your eyes upon Moss-Man!

Moss-Man walked onto the field with Orko cheering him on from the entrance way. After he stepped on to the stage, Moss-Man carefully looked over the remaining Pirahna Plants. Eventually, he settled on the Yellow Pirahna Plant which presented him with the number 7.

Moss-Man was followed by the introduction of the Flora Colossi, Groot. Groot was the only other challenger Bushroot had already met when they accidentally ran into each other during the setup of the stadium. Groot only said the same three words over and over again and Bushroot thought him to be a simpleton tree. He hoped Groot would pick number 2. Unfortunately for Bushroot, after Groot extended his limbs to snatch up the pink Pirahna Plant, it revealed the number 6. 

HARLEY: The next challenger needs no introduction from me, because he insisted on doing it himself. 

Suddenly music blasted from the stadium’s speakers as a large venus flytrap type creature was wheeled on to the field.

AUDREY II: You don’t know what you're messing with, you got no idea. You don’t know what you’re looking at, when you’re looking here.

Harley Quinn tapped her foot with a grin on her face as Audrey continued his song complete with backup singing extensions grown from himself that formed a chorus.

AUDREY II: I’m just a mean green motha from outer space and I’m bad….

Audrey’s indentured human associate, Seymour, slowly trotted behind the singing, man-eating, alien plant. Seymour joined Harley on stage and picked the red Pirahna Plant which contained the number 3.

HARLEY: Now taking the field, welcome the oldest living thing walking under the sun in Middle Earth, the Ent from the Forest of Fangorn, Treebeard!

The 14 foot tall tree giant slowly stomped onto the field toward the stage. Once he was close enough, he lowered one of his branches that was carrying the hobbit, Merry. Merry hopped off the branch and immediately ran to the black Piranha plant, lifting it high in the air.

HARLEY: Not the one I would have guessed.

MERRY: It looks so cool.

Merry showed the number revealed from inside the plant to Treebeard, it was the number 5. Nearby, Bushroot began to relax. There were only two more entrants remaining to be announced and although the lineup appeared formidable, there was nothing too scary.

HARLEY: Ladies and gents, a little curveball for those not in the know, our next challenger was created in the Great Forest of Moore by the overabundance of evil spirits sealed into a tree. How is that for a backstory, huh? huh?  Cower before the might of Exdeath!

A large warrior in sky blue knight’s armor walked on the field with purpose. There was an ominous and foreboding aura about him. It sent shivers down Bushroot’s spine. Dread set in as Bushroot realized the number 2 spot had still not been revealed. 

EXDEATH: Hand me the blue one!

HARLEY: You’re really supposed to grab it yourself, but whatever.

Harley took the blue Piranha Plant and gave it to Exdeath. The sinister warlock  Exdeath did not wait for the Piranha Plant’s mouth to open and yanked out the ball displaying the number 8. Another wave of relief washed over Bushroot. 

HARLEY: Last but certainly not least, the man-plant himself, Amingo!

A walking round ball of cactus, dressed in traditional Mexican clothing, sauntered onto the field. He strummed his guitar as he made his way to the stage. With only one Pirahna Plant remaining, Amingo was left with the white one. Once the Pirahna Plant revealed the number 2, Amingo puffed out his chest in pride, baring his spines for the world to see. He glanced over in Bushroot’s direction, and tipped his sombrero in respect. 

HARLEY: Well, there you have it, everybody. The tournament bracket is set and we can begin! Challengers please enjoy a brief intermission and then the fighting starts. Our first matchup will be between numbers 1 and 2, Bushroot and Amingo.

All challengers exited the field and Harley jumped off the stage to meet up with Ivy.

HARLEY: I gotta say, I think I could do announcing as a side gig, I’m pretty good.

In the waiting room, Bushroot looked on silently from a distance as Audrey II sang to Amingo’s guitar playing. If the fighting cactus was nervous at all, he wasn’t showing it. 

Quackjack’s puppet, Mr. Banana Brain, suddenly appeared by Bushroot’s right shoulder.

QUACKERJACK (VIA MR. BANANA BRAIN): What’s the plan, Stan?

Bushroot turned to face two of his fellow Fearsome Five members, Quackerjack and Megavolt.

BUSHROOT: He’s kind of weird, but I think I can take him down.

MEGAVOLT: He’s super weird. I saw him transforming into a bunch of funny shapes before he made his entrance on the field. Want me to zap him for you to give you an early edge?

BUSHROOT: No, I can do this. I know I can.

QUACKERJACK: We will be in the stands to cheer on your victory.

MR. BANANA BRAIN: Or just as likely, your humiliating defeat.

OVERHEAD VOICE: Bushroot and Amingo please make your way to the square platform so that we can begin our first fight.

Bushroot kind of get demolished by Amingo. I think Bushroot is a cool character, and putting him down is a very hard task, but Amingo is very fast and very skilled and won't let Bushroot get a single opening. It's an unfortunate matchup for him, but then again, I do believe Bushroot is the weakest link in the whole tournament.

In support of Bushroot, I will remind everyone that he can control plants and often turns them into minions and to remember that the platform they are fighting on is surrounded by plants. 

Not that Amingo still couldn't win, but I believe Bushroot could put in a good showing and score an upset.

Potentially looks like the making of another good tourney arc, Johnny. :) Good set-up. 

19 hours ago, JohnnyChany said:

In support of Bushroot, I will remind everyone that he can control plants and often turns them into minions and to remember that the platform they are fighting on is surrounded by plants. 

He makes a good point. :) Between this, his near-immunity to dying from being cut up (though he can still be beat up, burned, etc.), and his shapeshifting abilities, Bushroot has the potential to go far in this tournament. In fact, he might even be able to get many of the other combatants under his control. He's limited mostly by his pacifism and low self-esteem. 

As for this match, since Bushroot seems pretty determined here, he's got a good shot at beating Amingo, though Bushroot might be roughed up a bit in the process until he finds his confidence. 

Didn’t play Marvel vs Capcom 2 so I have no info on Amingo. I do know that Bushroot with his control over plants, shapeshifting, and insane durability is a very underrated villain who’d probably be next to unstoppable if not for plot limitations. I got Bushroot winning.

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
4.40 - Pizzaguy2995
4.60 - DSkillz
5.00 - Venom 2009
5.00 - Macklemore
4.60 - Boratz

FPA Calculation:
5 Total Votes cast
23.60 Total Combined Score
23.60 / 5 = 4.72 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE