Juggernaut: 10
Mr. Incredible: 0

Rumble 20544 General Kregg vs. Stripe vs. Brigade
MATCH SCORE
General Kregg: 2
Stripe: 0
Brigade: 1

Match 19414 Captain Marko Ramius vs. Captain Nemo

A DISPATCH FROM THE CHAIRMAN OF THE RED FLEET, NORTHERN POLITICAL DIRECTORATE TO MARKO RAMIUS, CAPTAIN, RED OCTOBER. 

Captain Ramius,

The following information should be handled with the highest discretion.  Three months ago, the battleship Yaroslav issued an SOS.  The official story is that they suffered an engine malfunction and were destroyed.  However, the details of the SOS reveal that the ship was under attack by an unknown submarine.  It’s configuration matched no boat on file, and, despite it’s size, possessed torpedoes and a hull strong enough for it to collide with the Yaroslav without damaging itself. 

Since that event, multiple boats, including the Konovalov under the command of Captain Tupolev, have gone missing.  Investigations by the KGB, the GRU, and the Directorate have proven inconclusive and we are still unable to confirm whether this is some new weapon developed by the Americans or one of the other NATO powers. 

Due to the seriousness of this threat, it has been decided that the silent drive tests will be postponed, and that Red October will be sent to find this submarine.  Your orders are to capture it if possible, and to destroy it if necessary. 

I am certain that I am entrusting this mission to capable hands. 

Admiral Yuri Padorin, Chairman of the Red Fleet, Northern Political Directorate 

Ramius sat in his drawing room reading from a book as Political Officer Putin re-read their orders.  Executive Officer Borodin pensively stood in the doorway. 

“Sonar is reporting no contacts, Captain,” said Borodin. 

“Tell them to hold this position,” replied Ramius. 

Putin folded up the orders and put them back in their envelope.  “Captain, perhaps it would be more effective if we moved to the location of the most recent attack?”  Ramius didn’t even look up from his book.  “We shall remain here.  There is no need for us to scramble blindly through the ocean.  All of the most direct paths to the previous attacks intersect here.  Our ‘ghost ship’ will more than likely pass this way again.” 

Putin bristled.  “Begging the captain’s pardon, but perhaps it would be better for him to not treat this mission lightly?  This ‘ghost ship’ has already cost hundreds of sailors their lives, including your pupil Captain Tupolev.”  Ramius sighed and closed his book.  “I am well aware of the seriousness of this mission, Lieutenant.  And I shall carry out my orders in the manner I see fit.  Dismissed.” 

Putin looked to speak, then thought better of it.  He carefully stepped past Borodin, who closed the door behind him.  He turned back to face Ramius as he poured a cup of tea.  “I do not like this at all, Captain,” he said in hushed tones.  “It cannot be a coincidence.  A sudden change of orders to chase after some impossible submarine?  What if Padorin got wind of our plan?” 

“Calm yourself, Vasili,” said Ramius.  “You are beginning to sound like Yuri with your worrying.” 

“Only when there I believe there is cause to worry, Captain.  If they knew of your plan to defect and hand Red October to the Americans, what better way to stop you than sending us on a secret mission where they could destroy this boat and eliminate us all?” 

Ramius took a sip of his tea before replying.  “I believe the attacks are real.  Wreckage and bodies from the missing boats had been recovered.  With the caterpillar drive, we should be able to find this raider and then continue with our original plan.” 

“And if this ‘ghost ship’ finds and sinks us?” 

Ramius thought for a moment then smirked.  “Then I suppose neither our comrades or the Americans will be getting the caterpillar drive.” 

The cabin phone rang and Ramius answered.  “Yes?” 

“Captain!  Sonar reports contact!  1900 meters to stern!  Length approximately 100 meters! Bearing 3-1-0!” 

Ramius gave a nod to Borodin who moved for the door to the cabin.  “Have helm come about.  Match their course and increase speed to intercept.” 

Within an hour Red October had moved behind the enemy sub.  Ramius sat in his chair in the center of the bridge as his crew huddled over their stations.  “Prepare a firing solution.  Sonar, range from target?” 

“400 meters, Captain.  Still on course 3-1-0.  The target doesn’t see us!” 

“Or he’s baiting us for an attack,” muttered Yuri. 

“Do you have something to report, Diving Control?” Borodin asked pointedly.  Yuri turned back to his console.  “No, sir.” 

“Firing solution plotted, Captain!” 

“Very well.  Ballast Control,” said Ramius.  “Close outer doors.  Diving Command, disengage silent drive.” 

Putin stepped forward as Borodin repeated Ramius’ orders.  “Captain, you have orders to destroy this ship.  You will alert them of our presence!” 

“My orders are also to capture this ship if possible.  Open torpedo doors and hold our position.  Sonar, report on target?” 

“Target holding position at 450 meters.” 

Ramius turned to Borodin.  “Vasili, one ping, please.” 

Borodin nodded and repeated the order.  A single pulse of sound emanated from Red October to the enemy sub. The crew of Red October waited in silence before another ping came back at them from their target.  “Well, we’ve said hello,” snarked Officer Slavin.  “Now what?” 

“Diving control,” said Ramius.  “Bring us up to periscope depth.  Borodin?” 

Borodin moved over to the periscope viewer and looked through.  The enemy sub slowly followed Red October to the surface and raised it’s periscope to look at it’s opponent. 

“Periscope at the ready, Captain,” said Borodin.  “Prepared to signal target.” 

Ramius folded his hands and spoke his message as Borodin used the signal light on the persicope to send the message in Morse code.  “Enemy submarine, hold your position or you will be fired upon.  This is the Russian submarine Red October, Marko Ramius commanding.  Identify yourself.” 

Borodin intently watched as the target used it’s periscope light to signal back.  “An honor to meet you, Captain Ramius.  Your reputation precedes you.  This is the Nautilus, under the command of…”  Borodin pulled his head back from the periscope and looked at Ramius in shock.  “Captain Nemo!” 

“And crewed by a dozen mermaids and the Loch Ness monster,” snickered Slavin.  He was silenced by a glare from Ramius who nodded to Borodin to return to the periscope.  “The honor is mine, Captain,” Ramius went on as Borodin signaled.  “However, a ship matching your description has been reported sinking Russian vessels.  You will change course and accompany us to Polyarny for questioning.” 

A few seconds later Borodin received the reply.  “I am responsible for your government’s missing ships, Captain, but I cannot allow the Nautilus to fall into enemy hands.  Your country’s struggle with the Americans threatens the peace of my oceans.  The Nautilus is all that stands between the world and the destruction your cold war will bring.” 

“He is insane!” breathed Putin. 

“Captain!  Nautilus is diving!  Returning to previous heading!” 

Ramius sat back in his chair.  “Battle stations.” 

OK:

Ramius with Red October vs Nemo with a modernized Nautilus (outfitted with torpedoes but still is able to sink ships by ramming them).

Whoever sinks their opponent wins. 

Game On! 

Very original idea for a match. 

I am leaning towards Captain Nemo because in the novels he’s apparently skilled enough to have sunken numerous ships from several different countries. While the Red October’s “caterpillar drive” might make it tough to locate, it was eventually overcome in the film and I would think someone as genius as Captain Nemo would also be able to do the same. 

• Like 1

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - StormChaser
4.80 - Mercenaryblade
4.00 - Boratz
5.00 - Pizzaguy2995

FPA Calculation:
4 Total Votes cast
18.80 Total Combined Score
18.80 / 4 = 4.70 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Captain Marko Ramius: 0
Captain Nemo: 6

THE BOTTOM LINE

“Nautilus has evaded our torpedo!  Maneuvering rapidly!” 

Ramius clutched the arm of his chair.  The Nautilus was half the size of Red October, and it was easily able to avoid their torpedoes.  “Plot a new firing solution and compute!” 

“It’s moving too fast, Captain!  We can’t get a lock on it!” 

“High speed screw!  Torpedo in the water!” 

“Counter measures!  Full spread!” ordered Ramius. 

“Aye, sir!” 

“Helm, bring us about to course 2-4-5!” 

In the ocean the Nautilus torpedo reached the countermeasures released from Red October.  The torpedo veered off as the countermeasures interfered with it’s sonar. 

“Torpedo has lost contact, Captain!” 

“Right full rudder!  Do we have a lock on the Nautilus?” 

“Captain!  It’s coming about!  It’s headed straight for us!” 

Putin looked at Borodin in shock.  “He’s mad!”  Borodin stared at Ramius, his face taut.  “Sound for collision!  All hands brace for…” 

Ramius’ orders were drowned out by the screams of twisting metal, mingled with the wails of his crew.  The sea swept into the gaping hole the Nautilus left in it’s wake.  Ramius closed his eyes in anticipation of his certain death as alarms blared and his officers yelled orders.  Then a torrent a water swept into the bridge, knocking Ramius out of his chair to grated floor. 

When Ramius opened his eyes he saw Borodin and Red October’s doctor Petrov kneeling over him.  He blinked and coughed as Petrov helped him into a seated position.  “Easy, Captain.  Easy.  You are going to be alright.”  Ramius looked to Borodin.  “The ship?” 

“It’s gone, Captain.  Red October is destroyed.”  Ramius looked around the room they were in.  It looked similar to the galley of his lost submarine.  He could recognize his engineer Melekin and a few other members of crew huddled around tables. 

“Then where are we?” 

“We are on board the Nautilus, Captain,” said Borodin.  “Some of us were able to get to the lifeboats and were brought aboard.” 

“How many?” 

“The dozen here, and possibly another dozen in the lower decks.  We lost Yuri, Kamarov.  We also lost Officer Putin.” 

Petrov gave a weak smile.  “So the day is not a total loss.”  Borodin gave a dirty look and helped Ramius to his feet. 

The door to the galley opened, and a man with a well-trimmed beard and wearing a uniform that Ramius had never seen before entered.  He was flanked by two crewmen in similar uniforms. 

Ramius pulled his arm from Borodin’s hold and stood up straight.  “Do I have the honor of addressing Captain Nemo?” 

“You do indeed, Captain Ramius,” Nemo replied.  “I regret that our first meeting was as enemies.  And that your ship was destroyed in our battle.” 

“And what is to become of my crew?” Ramius asked.  “Are we your prisoners?  To barter with Moscow?” 

Nemo raised an eyebrow.  “I am not a kidnapper, Captain Ramius.  I am a man of the sea, such as you are.  Which is why I would like to make you an offer.” 

Borodin and Petrov gave a warning look to Ramius, but the captain went on.  “And what would this offer be?” 

“I know of you, Captain Ramius.  I know of your discontentment with your Russian masters.  Perhaps you would like to join my fleet at my side?” 

Melekin walked over to the group as Borodin stepped alongside Ramius.  “Forgive me, Captain, but as impressive as your ship is, it is not a fleet.” 

“But it can be the beginning of one, Captain Borodin.  If you accept, you will find that I have the resources to build more ships to patrol the oceans.  Ships that would be greatly assisted if they possessed the secrets of your Red October.” 

“What… what secrets?” stammered Petrov. 

“Come now, Doctor.  My Nautilus is capable of many feats, but it is not able to render itself invisible from sonar.  If whatever technology you have is able to accomplish this for a ship the size of yours…” 

“Captain!” Petrov interrupted.  “You can’t tell him about the silent drive!  You have a duty!  To Russia!  To…!” 

“Shut up!” snapped Ramius.  He shared a glance with Melekin and Borodin.  His engineer and first officer both nodded.  Nemo might not be the Americans, but perhaps the caterpillar drive would be just as safe in his hands as theirs or the Russians.  As Petrov stared in disbelief, Ramius offered his hand and Nemo shook it.  “On behalf of the crew of the Red October, Captain Nemo, I accept.  Let us sail into history!”