Rumble 20541 Batman (Nolanverse) vs. Judas Breed
MATCH SCORE
Batman: 2
Judas Breed: 0

Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Rumble 20539 Whitespikes vs. The Xenomorphs
MATCH SCORE
Whitespikes: 0
The Xenomorphs: 3

Cameron Poe vs. Castor Troy
MATCH SCORE
Cameron Poe: 3
Castor Troy: 0

Match 18117 Momiji vs. Sophitia Alexandra

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART 193

1465913946_guileflashkick.jpg.a5b10a873e1a14611ecd4a4a539c503a.jpg

“Sonic Boom!”

Guile crossed his arms and sent another Sonic Boom projectile at Cassandra Alexandra as the duo did battle in an empty boathouse. (REF: GUILE VS. CASSANDRA ALEXANDRA) Cassandra used her Nemea shield to absorb most of the impact. It rattled wildly on impact and Cassandra felt it in her arms and body. She wondered how many more of Guile’ signature projectiles she would be able to successfully shield herself from after having to defend herself from three already. 

“Sonic Boom!”

Another one came quickly at her. Instead of trying to block it with her shield, Cassandra instead tried to jump over the technique. She successfully dodged the Sonic Boom by leaping into the air, but unfortunately for her Guile was waiting for that and and hit her hard with a Flash Kick.

Cassandra landed hard on the ground and held on tight to her sword and shield so that she would not lose them. Guile took a few steps back to keep a safe distance away from Cassandra and her Omega Sword.

“Sonic Boom!”

Cassandra had to think quickly. She knew now that jumping over the projectile would be a mistake, but she also couldn’t stay just on the defensive forever. Guile was already wearing down. Cassandra charged at the projectile shield first and the force of the collision knocked the Nemea Shield out of her hands. She quickly spun around and swung her blade at Guile. The army major ducked the slash from his crouched position, grabbed Cassandra from behind and delivered a devastating German Suplex. Cassandra again focused on holding on to her sword.  She returned to her feet and was met by two punches from Guile followed by a back hand punch. Cassandra thrust forward with her Omega Sword. Guile jumped and hit Cassandra over the head with a double ax handle attack. Cassandra winced in pain. Guile capitalized with another Flash Kick to put the younger Alexandra sister on her back. 

Despite seemingly being outmatched, the determined Cassandra returned to her feet. Guile, still close, extended out his arms and charged a large and wide static Sonic Boom attack that surrounded Cassandra and rocked her from all sides. Cassandra felt as if an earthquake had erupted in her body. She dropped her sword and fell to her knees, dizzy and weak from Guile’s persistent attack. Cassandra was no longer able to defend herself and she braced herself for Guile’s next move.

Unexpectedly, Guile’s next move was not an attack, but instead an extended hand.

“I don’t want to hurt you,” he stated. “That has never been my intention. We are on the same side and need to work together.”

Reluctantly, Cassandra accepted Guile’s assistance to pull her up back to her feet and even helped her steady herself as her balance was still shaky.

“You have proven yourself a more than capable warrior,’ Cassandra admitted. “One that I will not have to worry about babysitting when things get tough.”

“I’ve worked hard for many years to get to this level,” said Guile.

“If we are to move forward, I need to know. Are you certain you can resist Soul Edge’s temptation a second time?”  Cassandra questioned.

“Yes. Your sister helped through a lot of the pent up anger that allowed Soul Edge to consume me the first time,” Guile explained. “A lot of it had to do with an old buddy of mine, Charlie, but that is in the past. And I am willing to leave it there to focus on the present.”

“I hope for both of our sakes that you are right.” a half smile appeared on Cassandra’s face. “From what you just showed me, it would probably take a combined effort from Sophitia and I to take you down if we had to.”

Guile also smiled. “And I know that you both wouldn’t hesitate to do so if needed, and I am good with that.”

“I’m not sure we would be able to bring your friends along. After what I experienced in the village, I don’t know if they would be up to the challenge,” Cassandra said bluntly.

“I wasn’t intending on bringing them. They are still recovering and not in fighting shape,” Guile informed.  He then lifted an eyebrow. “Do you really think Sophitia has gone straight to Soul Edge’s location?”

“Well I can’t be certain, just a feeling I have,” stated Cassandra.

Guile contacted Helena Douglas to ask about Sophitia. Helena confirmed that the blonde braided warrior hadn’t been back or made contact since going to look for the wandering samurai, Mitsurugi. 

“Sophitia seemed so earnest in wanting to work together. Something strange is going on,” Guile told Cassandra after his conversation with Helena.

Cassandra grabbed her chest. “Dang it! Soul Edge has been fully powered. It is calling out to the shards within me. It hungers for a reunion.”

“If that is the case, then you are right about Sophitia. It is probably calling out to her too. Let’s go and put an end to this,” Guile declared.

Cassandra nodded. “If you have a way to get there, I will show you the path.”

—----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1034246727_racheldefeated.jpg.f81df776d782df2b36c241061af0af1d.jpg

In a forest clearing close to the Soul Edge sword, Rachel slammed her warhammer into Sophitia’s Elk Shield. (REF: SOPHITIA ALEXANDRA VS. RACHEL) The force of the collision knocked Sophitia back a few steps, but the proud warrior held her ground. Sophitia deflected a follow up front kick from Rachel with her shield before getting in some offense of her own with a swing of her sword. The slash only delayed Rachel a few moments. Rachel went in for a knee strike, but again was blocked by Sophitia’s shield. Rachel swung her warhammer at Sophitia, who countered with her sword. The two weapons crashed against each other. Holding the lighter weapon, Sophitia was able to easier transition into an array of slashes, but Rachel parried each one with the handle of her warhammer. Rachel came back with an overheard downward swing which Sophitia held off by using both her sword and shield together for protection. Rachel leaned into the move utilizing her impressive strength. Sophitia’s defense began to break down so she shot out her leg to trip up her opponent. The desperation move succeeded and Rachel tumbled backward.

Sophitia slashed upward to keep Rachel off balance. Her sword and shield were now glowing with divine energy. She charged at Rachel shield first and then performed an uppercut with her sword. Rachel took a wild unfocused swing to try and stem the assault, but Sophitia ducked and lunged forward with her sword, disarming the fiend hunter. In desperation, Rachel grabbed Sophitia and attempted to swing slam the Greek warrior as she had done to Chun-Li before. Sophitia slashed at Rachel’s feet while in her arms and was quickly let go. She launched herself off her shield and hit Rachel with a Guardian Spear Kick, Sophitia then wrapped her legs around Rachel’s arm and jumped downward with her Heaven’s Arch arm breaker. Rachel shouted in pain. 

Rachel mustered up the strength to knock Sophitia back with a shoulder block. She followed with a sideways double axe handle attack that knocked Sophitia to the ground. Rachel retreated to retrieve her warhammer as Sophita recovered and composed herself. The two blonde warriors clashed weapons again. They jousted two more times before pulling back. Each woman charged up for a final clash. A red aura encompassed Rachel’s war hammer while red lightning twirled around Sophitia’s glowing sword. They charged in for another bout and Sophitia successfully stuck first creating a small explosion and spinning Rachel out in the air. Rachel’s warhammer hit the ground first followed by her body. Her head tilted upward momentarily before it went back down and she lost consciousness. 

Sophitia stood over a defeated Rachel. She did not have much time to reflect on what had just happened before Momiji descended down from the treetops.

“Rachel!?!” Momiji cried.

The Dragon Shrine Maiden ran over to her friend. “What happened?”

“I fought her. I didn’t want to but I had to,” responded Sophitia.

“Why?”

“She coveted Soul Edge and was possessed by a demon,” Sophitia explained. “Allowing her to even touch the handle of Soul Edge was something I could not abide.”

Momiji studied her fallen companion carefully. “I do not sense any evil spirits within her.”

“That’s impossible,” stated Sophitia. “It was there. I….”

Sophitia moved closer toward Rachel and as Momiji had said she could no longer sense a possession of the leather clad warrior. Sophitia suddenly grabbed her head as a voice echoed inside.

“A pleasure to make your acquaintance my new host,” The demon that had once possessed Shura and then Rachel (REF: NYOTENGU VS. ELIZA) and now Sophitia, whispered in her head. “For me only the strongest vessel will do and that vessel has proven to be you.”

“Curses! I will not let you overtake me, vile demon!” Sophitia shouted.

Momiji grabbed on to her naginata blade as the realization of the situation began to sink in.

“Who said anything about overtaking? We are in this together,” the demon whispered.

“No. I will not work alongside evil no matter what your motivations,” Sophitia retorted.

“No one understands the manifestation of evil more than a demon. If you truly want to destroy Soul Edge once and for all you will need me,” the demon enticed. “Haven’t you fought long enough?”

“No. I will not listen to you,” Sophitia protested.

Momiji approached Sophitia carefully. “I can help you. I am a shrine maiden. I can cleanse your soul.I know the technique.”

“It’s a trick,” the demon whispered. “Look at the blood splatter on her. A bit violent for a shrine maiden, don’t you think? She intends to kill you.”

Sophitia took note of the blood stains on Momiji’s outfit. “What happened to Zasalamel?”

“I had to kill him. (REF: MOMIJI VS. ZASALAMEL) He posed too much of a threat and I couldn’t let him continue knowing I was to blame for him getting so close,” Momiji answered. (REF: IBUKI VS. HONOKA)

“You see, You are being viewed the same way right now,” the demon continued. “Why else would she have picked up her weapon?”

“Perhaps I deserve death,” Sophitia said silently. “I foolishly let myself be compromised and am now as big a threat as Rachel.”

“Rachel was a bloodthirsty fiend hunter with fiend blood pumping through her veins, you are a holy warrior burdened with glorious purpose. You are not the same,” the demon contended.

Momiji could tell that Sophitia was having an internal struggle. 

“Do not listen to it,” she warned.

The voice of the demon inside Sophitia’s head grew louder. “Think of your children. How much they suffered because of Soul Edge and the vow you made so no one’s children would suffer the same fate. Do you really trust this fighter to do the right thing. She was the fiend hunter’s friend. There is no goodness in them, only vengeance.”

“Why should I listen to you?”

“I am honest with my intentions. Utilize Soul Edge to give me corporeal form then I have no use for it. I will help you destroy it because then I will be on top. After that, we can have a proper battle, and the top warrior will claim victory,” the demon detailed.

“I can’t believe you.

“If you doubt me then tell me why I haven’t simply tried to charge up the shards of Soul Edge that dwell inside you. More shards then most, am I right? The answer is I don’t want you to turn into a mindless servant of the Evil Seed. That is not my goal. I only desire a proper battle of strength and skill to determine who is best and to achieve it I will help you with the one thing you desire the most, the destruction of Soul Edge. But, you will have to survive long enough first. And to do that you need to dispatch of the fiend hunter’s friend.”

Sophitia stood up with sword and shield in hand.

“Is the struggle over?” asked Momiji.

Sophitia nodded. “Yes. I know what we must do.”

“We can start the ceremony very quickly. You just…”

“That is not what I meant,” Sophitia interjected.

Without another word, Sophita launched an attack on Momiji.

Soul Calibur characters physicals are just as strong, if not stronger, then the Ninja Gaiden series. That plus Sophitia’s greater lifespan of experience plus her appearance in more games giving her more consistent feats make me lean towards her taking this.

Another good set-up, Johnny. Good recaps with Gulie/Cassandra and Sophitia/Rachel. Not so sure Guile could take both Alexandra sisters solo, though. 

As for the match, while it should be a good fight between Sophitia and Momiji, Momiji is the fresher of the two and doesn't have the new internal struggle to deal with. I'd say Ryu's apprentice should probably eke this one out.