MATCH SCORE
Team Fortress 2: 0
Inhumanoids: 3

Match 18100 Ibuki vs. Mai Shiranui

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART 191

2050309205_honokadefeated.jpg.cff876c0410dc434cd489f823083351c.jpg

Outside the kitchen of the Kanzuki Estate, Ibuki battled an angered Honoka. (REF: HONOKA VS. IBUKI) After feeling the power behind some of Honoka’s throws, Ibuki switched strategies. She utilized her quickness to keep away from the busty bruiser. Honoka attempted to grab the nimble ninja, but Ibuki performed a quick dash and slipped right through Honoka’s fingers. She tagged Honoka with a series of palm strikes and then rolled away before Honoka could counter.

Honoka groaned in frustration. “Slow down.”

“No way,” Ibuki replied as she landed a drop kick before flipping to the other side of Honoka.

“How am I supposed to show off my cool new sumo moves if you won’t stand still and fight,” Honoka whined. (REF: HONOKA VS. HINAKO SHIJOU)

“Not my problem. Maybe you should train harder,” Ibuki taunted.

“I’ll show you.” 

Honoka charged toward Ibuki and attacked her with the running jump kick she had learned from watching Jann Lee. Ibuki evaded the move just in time and Honoka crashed into a minibar. Ibuki kept up the pressure with a low kick to the momentarily dazed Honoka, followed by a jumping split kick. Honoka quickly recovered and rebounded with a low kick and a jumping split kick of her own that surprised Ibuki and knocked her back.

“Hey what the hell was that? Don’t be stealing my moves, get your own,” Ibuki complained.

“I can do any of your moves once I see them in action,” Honoka boasted.

“Who does that? What kind of weirdo are you?” Ibuki wondered.

Ibuki slid next to Honoka and tried to toss her but was rebuffed by Honoka’s version of E. Honda’s 100 Hand Slap. (REF: HONOKA VS. E. HONDA)

Ibuki regrouped. “You really are a copycat, aren’t you? In that case let me throw something at you that you can’t duplicate.”

Ibuki rolled through the air and flung two kunai at Honoka. Honoka hopped away as the first one landed at her feet and then used her fist to successfully punch away the second.

“I am not afraid of little knives,” Honoka proclaimed.

Ibuki charged the third kunai before throwing it at her opponent, and when Honoka went to punch the projectile it exploded in her face. The small explosion left Honoka vulnerable and Ibuki swooped in to hit Honoka with her short range Tenrai energy blast. Ibuki then threw her three remaining kunai at Honoka who struggled to defend herself. Ibuki tossed a bomb at Honoka’s feet that exploded and launched Honoka into the air. Ibuki juggled Honoka in the air with a series of strong strikes and dropped another bomb that Honoka fell into and the resulting explosion restrarted the chain. Ibuki continued this two more times. After the final explosion, Honoka fell to the ground unable to return to her feet.

“You should have listened to me before attacking,” stated Ibuki.

“Ibuki! What have you done?”

Ibuki spun on her heel to see a fuming Karin Kanzuki who had just returned with the DOATEC medics, Ken Masters, and Hitomi who Ken held in his arms. 

Karin’s face started to turn red as she continued. “What did I tell you about dropping bombs in my home?”

“Karin, you see the thing is…”

“And why do you insist on attacking our allies?”

“To be fair, this time she attacked me first,” Ibuki protested. (REF: IBUKI VS. ATHENA ASAMIYA)

The group was then joined by Athena Asamiya who had left her recovery bed.

“Hey Honoka, you were taking too long to come back and I have some important news. (REF: GUILE VS. CASSANDRA ALEXANDRA) I spoke to…oh my!”

Athena gasped at the sight of the damage caused by Ibuki and Honoka’s battle.

“Everyone just hold on a second, I can explain. This isn’t my fault,” Ibuki insisted. “First the cute boy went crazy. I think he was trying to kill me. (REF: IBUKI VS. ELIOT) Then the ditzy girl got mad because I beat him so she fought me too.”

“Cute boy? Are you talking about Eliot?” Karin inquired.

Ibuki nodded.

Ken immediately flashed to his fight against Honoka.  (REF: HITOMI VS. KEN MASTERS) “Were his eyes glowing orange?”

“Yeah,” Ibuki confirmed.

Ken and Karin exchanged a glance.  

The heir to the Kanzuki fortune sighed. “We will have the DOATEC medics check him out.”

“I have some important news,” Athena blurted out. “I recently made contact with the fortune teller, Rose, who was one of the founders of our mission. She has several injured allies and is looking for  a safe place for them to recover. I told her she could come here and given her teleportation abilities. She should be here any min…”

A large commotion sounded at the front of the estate. Karin and Ibuki raced to the door, followed by Athena and Ken who was still carrying the unconscious Hitomi.

“Rose!” Ibuki exclaimed at the sight of a familiar face.

Rose stood there with her arms wrapped around an injured Maki Genryusai. “Ibuki, Karin, it is good to see you once more.” She took notice of Ken. “You as well. I am most pleased that you were all able to help out. 

“It’s good that we are together again,” Athena observed.

“Let me help you out,” Ibuki offered. The young ninja relieved Rose of the burden of carrying Maki. Soon after the DOATEC medics came out to the front, and then took both Maki and Hitomi to transport them to nearby beds for recovery.

Suddenly Rose's eyes went white as a graphic vision took hold of the Italian fortune teller. The vision was once more about Soul Calibur, but this time Rose saw the majestic sword in action as a man in shining armor wielded it against the nefarious M. Bison. Rose could see the broken bodies of Chizuru Kagura and Kyo Kusanagi sprawled out nearby. (REF: SiEGFRIED VS. M. BISON)

“Oh no!”

“What did you see?” Karin questioned.

“I saw Bison, as well as the sword that can be used to destroy Soul Edge. I saw Kyo and Chizuru as well. They were badly hurt.”

Confusion spread across Karin’s face. “Kyo? When we left he was still here.”

“Honoka mentioned something about him and Ryu leaving here in a hurry,” Athena informed. (REF: RYU VS. OROCHI)

“They must have went there to challenge Bison,” Rose guessed.

“Did you see Ryu in the vision as well?” Ken asked.

Rose shook her head no. “I did not see him, but I imagine he would still be somewhere nearby. Hopefully, he is ok.”

“I want to go there,” Ken declared. “It’s obvious they need my help and you said the sword we need is also there?”

“Yes. But I’m not sure where ‘there’ is, I did not recognize the terrain,” Rose admitted.

“Can you describe what you saw in your vision?” Athena asked.

Rose detailed the look of the trees and huts from her vision.

“That sounds like the Yata Village where Chizuru is from. I visited there once after she told me that many of the children were Athena fans,” said Athena.

“Then that is where I’m going,” Ken declared.

“Wait. There are still many that need to be rescued from the explosion by the G Corporation building, Guy, Ryo, Zafina… We…”

Rose fainted into Ken’s arms.

“Rose! Are you okay?” he asked.

“I am sorry,” Rose said faintly. “The combination of the visions and my recent excess use of teleportation appears to have drained me of my energy.”

“Then you need to rest,” Athena suggested. “You aren’t the only one with the ability to teleport. I am rested and ready to go.  Karin and I can go to the Millenium Tower to rescue the others.”

Karin piped in. “Yes, Athena and I can complete the rescue mission.”

Rose composed herself and stood back up. “I thank you.”

“I still feel like I need to go to the Yata Village,” Ken replied.

Karin placed a hand on Ken’s shoulder. “I agree. We can’t save some friends at the expense of others. Go find Ryu and Kyo. We will deal with things here.”

Ibuki eagerly offered her assistance to prove she could be a contributing member of the team. “I will take care of Rose.”

With their roles decided, the group split up and Ken, Athena, and Karin departed the estate. Inside, Ibuki eased Rose into a chair.

“I will make you some tea,” Ibuki offered.

“Much appreciated,” Rose replied.

Ibuki called out from the kitchen. “So you said Guy was with you? He is a bit of cutie for an older dude. Too serious for my taste. Anyone else I know?”

“Dhalsim was with us. He took on Mai Shiranui who had been possessed by Soul Edge (REF: MAKI GENRYUSAI VS. MAI SHIRNAUI) and attacked our friends, so that I could escape,” Rose informed. (REF: MAI SHIRANUI VS. DHALSIM) She looked around at the destroyed mini bar and broken tables around her. “It would appear there were many battles here as well. I do hope that Dhalsim was able to overcome her but not hurt her too badly.” 

Unbeknownst to Rose, the malfested Mai Shiranui had emerged victorious in her fight of fire with Dhalsim and had tracked Rose down determined to extract her vengeance upon her for her role in the fate of Andy (DHALSIM VS. VOLDO) and Terry Bogard (REF: BRUCE IRVIN VS. CRIMSON VIPER) as well as Mai herself.  (REF: MAI SHIRANUI VS. TIRA)

At that moment, the heir to the Shiranui style appeared and tossed a fan at Rose, knocking the fortune teller off her chair. Flames erupted around Mai and her eyes sparked with the orange glow of Soul Edge.

“I will burn you alive for what you have done!” Mai threatened.

Ibuki raced back into the dining room. “Don’t you hurt her!””

“Stay out of this! Unless you also want to be engulfed by the Shiranui flame!”

772955618_hqdefault(3).jpg.bce59ac4661d6fb14d9e261498b40533.jpg

Another great entry. I like the interactions here, they flow well and don't interrupt the story.

Both are tough fighters, but I think Mai has some of the better combos for damage. Ibuki is fast but I think she falls just short in my book.

14 hours ago, SSJRuss said:

Another great entry. I like the interactions here, they flow well and don't interrupt the story.

Both are tough fighters, but I think Mai has some of the better combos for damage. Ibuki is fast but I think she falls just short in my book.

Agreed.

Another good set-up, Johnny. Almost missed it. The good guys are starting to converge, but the number of injured is also starting to pile up. 

I still think Mai should've lost against Dhalsim, but since she's more experienced in ninjutsu and likely a bit more rested than Ibuki, she should probably win here.

19 hours ago, DSkillz said:

Another good set-up, Johnny. Almost missed it. The good guys are starting to converge, but the number of injured is also starting to pile up. 

I still think Mai should've lost against Dhalsim, but since she's more experienced in ninjutsu and likely a bit more rested than Ibuki, she should probably win here.

Yeah, if it were just up to me this last group of fighters would be much different then how it turned out, but all in all it ended up being a strong group of fighters, some of whom are my favorite from their series.

If Mai gets by Ibuki there are a couple of ninjas waiting in the wings with much more experience than the young street fighter.

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - patrickthekid
4.50 - Pizzaguy2995
4.70 - DSkillz
4.00 - SSJRuss

FPA Calculation:
4 Total Votes cast
18.20 Total Combined Score
18.20 / 4 = 4.55 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Ibuki: 6
Mai Shiranui: 5

On 3/25/2022 at 1:15 PM, Callisto said:

MATCH SCORE
Ibuki: 6
Mai Shiranui: 5

Eh? 

I guess the people voting for Ibuki must think she can beat Galactus. 😒

Seriously, some of y'all are risking messing up the arc's storyline.

On 3/26/2022 at 1:36 PM, DSkillz said:

Eh? 

I guess the people voting for Ibuki must think she can beat Galactus. 😒

Seriously, some of y'all are risking messing up the arc's storyline.

Definitely was not expecting an Ibuki victory. I'll have to rethink some of the final matches.