Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Rumble 20539 Whitespikes vs. The Xenomorphs
MATCH SCORE
Whitespikes: 0
The Xenomorphs: 3

Cameron Poe vs. Castor Troy
MATCH SCORE
Cameron Poe: 3
Castor Troy: 0

Raphael (Mirage) vs. Ken Masters
MATCH SCORE
Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

Agent Carter S03E15 The Finale! Match 18041 Captain Carter (What If...?) vs. Count Nefaria

broadwaybeyonder

Episode 15: It’s Been A Long, Long Time

August 10th, 1947.  Catskill Mountains.  New York City, NY. 

Jack knelt at Peggy’s side.    Her arms and legs were cut from broken glass, and he could see the serum seeping into the open wounds.  She was breathing rapidly and her body twitched in a seizure.  “Don’t touch her!” Benton yelled.  “Stark!  Grab those blankets!  Quickly!”  Howard gingerly picked up some Army blankets from a pile of discarded supplies.  “What’s going on, doc?” asked Jack as Howard started wrapping Peggy up.  “It’s the serum.  It’s gotten into her body.  We need to act quickly.  She doesn’t have time.” 

“What are you talking about?  This is the same stuff you gave to yourself and the others!  Look what it did to Nefaria!”  Benton lifted up Peggy’s head and motioned to Jack to her up by her legs.  “The serum was meant to be given with carefully monitored injections.  With so many vials shattering, the strain might be too much for her heart.”  Jack and Benton carried Peggy’s convulsing body towards the chamber that Nefaria had climbed out from.  “You mean she’s gonna die?” asked Jack.  Benton gave a look at the chamber.  “Not necessarily.” 

“Whoa, wait a minute, Benton!” interrupted Howard.  “You can’t seriously think about putting her in that thing!  We don’t need another super powered lunatic running around!” 

“The choice, Mr. Stark,” snapped Benton.  “Is to put Miss Carter in the chamber and let the vita rays try to stabilize her, or to stand here doing nothing while Nefaria runs wild and she dies.”  Benton looked at the uneasy pair.  “Gentlemen, this is Miss Carter’s only chance.  Please.  Help me save her, and put an end to this nightmare for good.”  Jack looked at Howard then nodded.  “I’m in.”  Howard gave a deep sigh.  “What the hell?  Never was one to run away from a lab.  What’s the plan, Doctor?” 

“Help me get her into the chamber, Agent Thompson,” urged Benton.  “Stark, you watch that screen and let me know of any fluctuations in the vita rays.” 

At the foot of the hill the moving van came to a crashing halt just a few feet in front of a large elm.  Daniel pushed the door and stumbled out, making best speed up the hill.  Jarvis jumped out and chased after him.  “Agent Sousa!  Wait!  I would advise against traveling too fast across this terrain!”  Sousa drew a pistol from a shoulder holster and held it out to Jarvis.  “I’m sorry, Mr. Jarvis.  But right now Peggy needs our help.  We don’t know what tricks Nefaria has for us in there.  Can I count on you?” Jarvis looked warily at the pistol, but nodded and took hold of it.  Daniel pulled another pistol out of a holster and started heading back up the hill. 

Suddenly a streak speeded past Jarvis and Daniel, and their weapons flew out of their hands.  Before them stood Bob Frank, holding a pistol in each hand at the ready.  “Hold it right there, fellas!  How about you tell me where your boss Nefaria is and no one gets hurt!”  Daniel swung with his crutch at Bob who whizzed out of the way, tossing the guns out of the clearing.  “Not nice to play with guns, you know.”  Jarvis looked over at Daniel.  “Another one?  I thought Benton said there were only five?”  Bob cocked his head.  “Benton?  You know Benton?”  Daniel held out his hands and stepped toward Bob.  “We’re here to help him, to stop Nefaria.  How do you know Benton?”  Bob gave small grin.  “Well, mister, for that, you better take it up with my wife.” 

Bob looked up into the sky, and Jarvis and Daniel followed his gaze.   Descending from the sky were Miss America and Fighting Yank.  “Miss Joyce and Mr. Carter III, I presume,” muttered Jarvis.  They gently landed in front of them, Fighting Yank glaring suspiciously.  “This is a secure area.  You two need to leave the premises.  Now!” 

“We can’t do that,” said Daniel, trying to stay calm.   “We’ve got people in there, including some friends of yours.” 

“You mean Benton?” asked Miss America.  “And Diana?  Are they here too?” 

“Yes, and there are also several armed hostiles in that bunker.”  Fighting Yank shoved past Daniel.  “Just stay out of our way.  We can easily handle a few gun toting criminals!” 

The metal door of the bunker flew off it’s hinges and crashed into a tree.  The five people turned in shock to see Count Nefaria floating out of the doorway.  He gave an imperious smirk as he gazed down on Daniel and the others.  “Well, well.  More of Dr. Benton’s experiments.  And I thought I wouldn’t be able to demolish more interlopers today.”  Daniel aimed his pistol, and Jarvis fumbled slightly to follow suit.  “Count Nefaria!  SSR!  I order you to stand down!” 

“Your bullets will do no good against him!” Fighting Yank snapped.  “He’s mine!”  Fighting Yank launched himself up the hill towards Nefaria.  “Bruce, wait!” Miss America cried.  Fighting Yank had already flown halfway up the hill with his right fist pulled back ready to strike.  But Nefaria delivered a back hand strike that knocked him out of the air.  Bob raced to catch Fighting Yank as Miss America took the air.  She was able to land some strikes on Nefaria, but he didn’t react to any of them.  He grabbed by the throat with one hand and flew down the hill, dragging her along the ground as he went. 

Back in the bunker, Benton and Jack had placed Peggy within the vita-chamber.  Jack looked on in concern as Benton sealed the chamber.  “Everything’s looking solid here!” Howard called out.  “The chamber is fully charged!” 

“This thing better work, Benton,” said Jack.  Benton took a deep breath a pressed a few buttons on the side of the chamber.  “It will, Agent Thompson.  It has to.  Stark?  Turn the dial on the left of the monitor to 46, then throw the green switch on my mark.”  Howard made the adjustments as Jack looked through the window of the chamber at the still body of Peggy Carter.  “Now, Stark!”  The switch thrown, the chamber began to hum to life, and Peggy’s body was lost in a burst of light that made the three men shield their eyes. 

On the surface, Nefaria delivered blow after blow to Miss America.  Jarvis and Daniel opened fire but the bullets harmlessly off him.  Nefaria tightened his grip on Miss America’s throat.  “I was impressed with your work with Ringmaster.  I would have thought you would be more of a challenge than this, Miss Joyce.”  Bob sped around Nefaria, grabbed his cape and sped up the hill.  Caught offguard Nefaria was yanked backward and released the hold.  Bob threw Nefaria forward, but the Maggia boss was able to stop himself and hover in midair.  “That’s Mrs. Joyce-Frank to you, buddy!” Bob shouted.  Nefaria looked bored at Bob.  “Ah, Dr. Harrow’s pet project.  I thought he said you were dead.” 

“Well, that’s what fast living can do to a guy!”  Bob raced toward Nefaria, only for him to be dropped by the mighty hands of the empowered Maggia boss.  Jarvis turned to Daniel, desperately trying to hold back his panic.  “Agent Sousa, I think our best course of action is to retreat.” 

“Not without Peggy and the others!” Daniel shouted.  Nefaria rose off the ground, lifting his arms to the heavens.  “You ignorant fools!  I am now the most powerful man on Earth!  Your weapons are useless!  Surrender to the will of Leviathan!  To me, Count…! 

A metallic shield flew out of the demolished bunker doorway and struck Nefaria in the back of the head.  The count grunted in pain, and fell a few feet before steadying himself.  Everyone turned to the doorway to see Peggy Carter, her eyes focused and determined as she caught the shield.  She was dressed in body armor scrounged from the lab, a holster with a fully loaded pistol, and a bandolier with extra ammo and grenades.  She looked defiantly up at Nefaria.  “Count Nefaria!  I am Agent Peggy Carter of the Strategic Scientific Reserve!  I order you to stand down!  You are under arrest!” 

OK:

Both Nefaria and Peggy have received Benton’s ‘super soldier serum”.  Both have enhanced strength, speed, and durability.  Nefaria has Yank and America’s power of flight.  Peggy has access to the equipment and weapons in the bunker, including a variant of Captain America’s shield. 

Can Peggy Carter stop Nefaria’s scheme once and for all? 

Stay Tuned and Find Out! 

Game On! 

Please note BOTH Peggy and Nefaria have received doses of Benton's makeshift super soldier serum.  They have the same powers as the other vigilantes they've faced in this arc.  They both have enhanced strength speed and durability, and Nefaria has Miss America/Yank's power of flight.  Just to keep in mind when you are voting. 

21 hours ago, broadwaybeyonder said:

Please note BOTH Peggy and Nefaria have received doses of Benton's makeshift super soldier serum.  They have the same powers as the other vigilantes they've faced in this arc.  They both have enhanced strength speed and durability, and Nefaria has Miss America/Yank's power of flight.  Just to keep in mind when you are voting. 

Yep I know. But Peggy still has the training behind her. On equal footing she should trounce Nefaria whom I've never seen in true hand to hand combat.

• Like 1

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - patrickthekid
4.60 - JohnnyChany
5.00 - Boratz

FPA Calculation:
3 Total Votes cast
14.60 Total Combined Score
14.60 / 3 = 4.87 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Captain Carter (What If...?): 5
Count Nefaria: 0

• Like 1

AND NOW THE CONCLUSION

August 10th, 1947.  Catskill Mountains.  New York City, NY. 

Black Terror carried Miss Masque out of the bunker, dropping low as Peggy was slammed back first into the rocks.  Nefaria swooped down and swung a blow only for it to be blocked by the shield.  He rained down strikes, each one beginning to put a dent in the metal.  “Get the others out of here!” Peggy called out.  Daniel looked on as Black Terror set off down the hill.  He stared in amazement as the woman he loved did battled with the power mad Nefaria.  The count grabbed the shield and started to twist it in on itself, his eyes filled with fury.  Peggy smashed the shield into Nefaria’s face, forcing him to let go.  Jack and Howard ran out and stopped next to Daniel to see Nefaria sent flying backward before steadying himself. 

“Peggy can’t fight this guy alone!” Daniel said.  Jack grabbed his arm and started moving down the hill.  “What are you gonna do?  Hit him with your crutch?  This is out of our league, Sousa!  Move it!”  Daniel looked behind to see Nefaria charge into Peggy like a battering ram, and sent them both crashing back into the bunker.  “What the hell did you do to her, Stark?!” 

“Take it up with Doc Benton, Agent,” Howard said.  “Turns out the serum still works like a charm.  Hopefully Peggy can take down Nefaria before…”  Daniel glared at Stark as he trailed off.  “Before what?”  Howard looked nervously at Jack, who bit his lip and sighed.  “The… gizmo that Benton put Peggy in was running low on power.  Nefaria had already used it to enhance himself.  According to him, it’s a miracle that the machine stayed running for one person, let alone two.” 

“So what are you saying?” asked Daniel.  “That something’s wrong with the machine?  Is Peggy not as strong?”  Black Terror laid Miss Masque on the ground to be checked on by Jarvis.  “Not exactly.  The process worked, but the vita rays will only activate the serum for a short length of time.  Under this much exertion, both Nefaria and Miss Carter could burn through the serum, and return to normal.”  Daniel started back up the hill.  “And if Peggy burns out her serum first, she’ll be a sitting duck against Nefaria!”  Jack chased after Daniel and stood in front of him.  “Don’t be stupid, Sousa!  At least take one these other cape wearing yahoos with you!”  Daniel gestured with the crutch where Fighting Yank, Miss America, and Bob Frank were laid out unconscious.  “Those three aren’t going to be ready to go another round with Nefaria, and Benton knows there biology better than anybody!  I’m going to help Peggy.  You can either help or get the hell out my way!”  Jack shook his head.  “You really do love that girl, don’t you?”  Daniel said nothing.  He merely pushed Jack aside with his crutch, and reloaded his gun.  Jack turned back down the hill.  “Stark!  Jarvis!  You stay here with Benton and the others!  The moment they are ready for action, send them in!”  Howard nodded and turned to Jarvis.  “This becoming one of those complicated days, Jarvis.”  Jarvis shrugged.  “Most days do, Mr. Stark.” 

In the heart of the bunker, Daredevil and Dottie continued their struggle.  Daredevil parried Dottie’s stolen spike with his boomerang, then jammed it edge first into her throat.  Dottie gagged and fell back gasping for air.  “You can’t go to Peggy,” she ranted.  “Peggy is mine!”  She hurled the spike which was easily deflected by Daredevil.  He ducked her punch and delivered a blow to her knee.  There was a halt in the action as Nefaria flew down the hall dragging Peggy after him.   Daredevil’s eyes grew wide and he turned to give chase only to be tripped up by Dottie.  “Don’t leave now!  I’m just starting to have fun!” 

Peggy dug her heels into the concrete floor to try to stop Nefaria’s mad pace.  Nefaria laughed madly as he swerved through the corridors.  “You foolish woman!  You thought that you could be a match for me?!”  Peggy threw the battered shield down the hall ahead of them.  It ricocheted off the walls before colliding into the face of the count.  He lost his grip on Peggy and fell to the floor outside of the vita-ray chamber room.  Peggy picked up the shield and stood confidently over Nefaria.  “Actually… Yes!” 

With a growl of frustration, the Maggia boss jumped to his feet and threw punch after punch at Peggy only for her to block them with the shield.  Peggy sprang off the walls to deliver a punch to the face of Nefaria, who rebounded by delivering a kick to her chest.  Peggy was sent sprawling into the chamber room, the shield landing in front of Nefaria.  He staggered into the room, clutching his head.  “What… what’s happening?” he moaned.  “What did you… do to me?” 

“It’s the serum,” said Peggy, slowing rising to her feet.  “The vita-ray chamber is able to stabilize it for long.  It doesn’t have the power to make the effects permanent.” 

“Liar!”  Nefaria stumbled to the fallen and still body of Harrow.  “Doctor!  Doctor Harrow!  We need to repeat the process!  I need more power!  More!” 

“It’s too late for Harrow, Nefaria,” Peggy said calmly, as Nefaria desperately started pulling switches and levers to charge up the chamber.  “And you.  Stand down!”  Nefaria sneered at Peggy.  “It’s too late for all of us, Miss Carter.  If you have taken the serum, that means that you will soon be helpless before me!  So I’ll have just enough time to ARGH!” 

A gunshot rang out and Nefaria fell back clutching his chest.  Jack and Daniel stood at the door guns drawn.  “Stay down, Count!” shouted Daniel.  Jack nodded at Peggy.  “Guess being bulletproof is the first thing to go, huh, Carter?”  Peggy’s eyes looked behind Jack and grew wide in fear.  She could see Dottie Underwood drawing closer to him with one of Daredevil’s spikes drawn.  “JACK!”  She only had time to scream before the spike was jabbed into Jack Thompson’s back. 

Daniel spun around only to have Dottie kick his crutch out from under him.  He fired off a shot but the bullet struck the vita-ray chamber, making it spark and groan.  Dottie kneed Daniel in the gut to drop him to the floor.  She glared with rage at Peggy, a vicious smile on her face.  “Today’s the day, Peggy.  I’m going to kill everyone you’ve ever loved.  And then I’ll make you beg me to kill you.”  Before Peggy could react, Nefaria had tackled her into a pile of equipment.  He grabbed the discarded shield and held it up above Peggy’s head.  “So sorry, Miss Underwood,” he said through gritted teeth.  “But that pleasure is going to be mine!” 

The boomerang flew through the air knocked the shield out of Nefaria’s grip.  Dottie turned to see Daredevil running straight for her.  He took a hold of her by the neck.  She only could make out a whimper, before the vigilante twisted until a snap was heard.  Then he let the lifeless body of Dottie Underwood fall to the ground. 

Daniel scrambled over to Jack.  Blood was spilling from the spike wound as Jack grimaced in pain.  “I can’t take you anywhere, can I?” Daniel joked softly as he tried to bandage the wound.  “Don’t start, Sousa,” Jack groaned.  “I can feel it.  Same place I got shot.  I’m not gonna make it.”  Daniel pressed his suit coat against the wound.  “You really never could shut up.  Just hang on!” 

Peggy kicked Nefaria off her and sent her back first towards the vita-ray chamber.  Every dial and meter was being pushed to it’s limit.  The sparks flew from the chamber and panels exploded.  “No!  No!  My machine!”  Nefaria screamed.  He whirled around to Peggy snarling.  “You really think this can stop me?!  You are a foolish woman, Miss Carter!”  Peggy stared defiantly at the mad count.  “That’s agent.” 

She hurled the shield, striking a blow to Nefaria’s midsection.  She then gave a mighty leap and landed a right cross to his jaw.  He flew backward into the exploding vita-ray chamber.  He screamed as the arcs of energy coursed through him.  His muscles bulged and shrunk out of control, then he fell down out of the machine with a thud. 

Peggy stood swaying for a moment, before collapsing in front of the chamber.  Daredevil and Daniel rushed to her and helped her to her feet.  “Peggy!  Peggy, are you okay?”  Peggy tried to push them away, and lurched towards Jack.  “Never mind me!  We need to get Jack out of here!”  Daniel looked up as the sounds of distant explosions grew louder.  “We don’t have much time!  Nefaria must have turned the vita-ray chamber to full power!  It sounds like the whole place is gonna blow!”  Jack got up with Peggy’s help and pointed at the twisting body of Nefaria.  “And it’s not the only one!”  Nefaria’s screams grew louder and louder, and his body began to increase in size again.  His muscles bulged to inhuman proportions, to the point where he looked more monster than man.  And still he roared his pain ridden screams. 

There was a sudden gust of wind as Bob Frank sped into the room.  He looked annoyed at the SSR agents and Daredevil.  “There you are!  Stark sent me to find you people!  I nearly ran around the whole complex, which isn’t easy when half the place is on fire and the other half is exploding!” 

“Mr. Frank!” Daniel interrupted.  “Get Peggy out of here!” 

“No!”  Daniel looked in disbelief at Peggy.  “Peggy, we need to leave now!”  Peggy readied her shield as the creature that was Nefaria rose up before them.  “This explosion will be the only thing that can destroy Nefaria and the rest of the serum.  I need to make sure he doesn’t escape!”  She took a step forward only for Daredevil to stand in her way.  Peggy shook her head, realization dawning on her.  “No, Michael.  No, you’re free now!  You have your life back!  You deserve to live it!”  Michael brush the tear from Peggy’s face then looked to Daniel.  “We don’t have anymore time!” Daniel shouted, the explosions growing in force and numbers.  “I won’t leave him alone!” Peggy cried. 

“He won’t be.”  Daniel and Peggy looked as Jack loaded his pistol and glanced at the Nefaria creature.  “Didn’t think about going out this way.  But I guess it’s as good a way as any.”  Peggy started fighting back sobs as she saw the resolute look on Jack’s face.  “Jack, please!  Don’t throw your life away.”  Jack looked at Michael who nodded at him.  “It isn’t throwing my life a way,” he said.  “I’m just letting you live yours.”  He looked at Daniel.  “You take care of her, Sousa, or I’m gonna come back and kick your butt.”  Daniel took a deep breath and nodded.  “I will, Jack.”  The room shook from another explosion and Jack and Michael stood between the three and the Nefaria creature.  Peggy tried to get to them, only for Daniel to grab a hold of her arms.  “Peggy, it’s too late!” 

“Let me go!  Michael!  Michael!  Jack!  Don’t!”  Jack took aim with his revolver as Daredevil readied his boomerang.  “Mr. Frank!  Go!”  Bob Frank solemnly nodded, then whizzed through the room and wrapped his arms around the waists of Daniel and Peggy.  “MICHAEL!” Peggy cried out, before both her and Daniel were carried off as Bob ran at full speed.  Michael looked where Peggy had been, and Jack nodded.  “I guess you taught her everything she knows?”  Michael gave a wry smile and shook his head.  He pointed where Peggy had been, then pointed at himself.  Jack chuckled as the Nefaria creature lunged towards them and the laboratory became enshrouded in flames.  “She taught you.  Figures.” 

Bob Frank raced with his passengers through the halls of the exploding bunker as a final blast sent him careening out of the entrance.  They all sprawled onto the grass as Howard, Jarvis, and Benton helped them to their feet.  Peggy fought to free herself from Jarvis and head back to the entrance.  “No!  We can’t leave them in there!  Please!  JACK!  MICHAEL!”  Jarvis held on tight as he ushered Peggy down the hill.  He looked sadly down at her.  “I’m sorry, Miss Carter.  I truly am.”  There was a final mighty explosion as the top of the hill erupted in smoke, flame and debris.  Peggy turned around in shock, then fell to her knees weeping.  “No!  Not again!  Dear God, not again!”  Daniel could only look away in despair, and listen to Peggy’s cries above the sounds of destruction and approaching police cars. 

Excerpt from the coded files of Howard Stark.  8/14/1947. 

After several days of nagging from the SSR, I’ve finally been able to get back to work.  ‘Acting Chief’ Flynn is definitely one of the bigger morons I’ve come across, but I suppose he does have reasons for being agitated, with Peggy running missions without his knowledge and all.  She has been recovering well from the effects of the serum and all traces of her enhanced abilities seem to have rescinded.  But the psychological toll of losing Agent Thompson and her brother has hit hard.  She doesn’t talk much, not to Agent Sousa or even Miss Martinelli.  Benton did mention that she had asked him if his project had included any other test subjects, something about an individual with the ability to turn themselves invisible.  He says there was no one else, however, invisibility could be a fun thing to experiment with later. 

For the moment, my focus is on the vial of serum I had Mr. Frank snag from the bunker before the explosion.  Between myself and Benton, we should be able to piece together the chemical structure to develop an antidote.  Peggy has already used the triggering phrase we gleaned from Wells to break the mental conditioning on our four heroes.  With a little luck, and my own personal genius, we can return their bodies, as well as their minds, to normal.  Though it would help my concentration if Miss Martinelli wasn’t practicing her new tap number on the floor above me. 

August 18th, 1947.  New York City, New York.  The mansion of Howard Stark. 

Bruce Carter III opened his eyes and looked up from his pillow at the smiling face of Madeline.  “Hey, Bruce. How are you feeling?”  Bruce winced slightly as he moved himself to a sitting position on the bed.  He looked around the lavishly furnished room, then back to Madeline.  “I.. I don’t know.  I feel.. tired.  A little hungry.  Did it… work?”  Madeline took his hand comfortingly.  “It should.  Whatever Mr. Stark and Dr. Benton whipped up worked fine on Miss Adams.  Dr. Benton used the antidote on himself too, and neither of them seem to have their powers anymore.”  Bruce sunk back to the bed and closed his eyes, before quietly weeping.  Madeline sat down on the bed.  “Bruce?  Bruce, what is it?”  Bruce looked at Madeline, smiling through his tears.  “The voice.  The voice in my head is gone.  It worked!”  Madeline hugged the soldier.  “I’m so happy for you, Bruce.  But I should step outside and let you rest up.  Mr. Stark and Dr. Benton said you need to take it easy for a couple of days.”  Bruce laid down as Madeline rose from the bed and walked to the door.  “Madeline?”  She turned to face Bruce, who looked at her with grateful eyes.  “Thank you.  I’m so glad I found you.”  Madeline nodded.  “Sleep well, Bruce.”  She quietly closed the door, leaving Bruce Carter III alone to enjoy the peace of mind that had eluded him for years. 

In the hallway, Bob was waiting for her, arms folded.  “Well, is he doing okay?”  Madeline gazed at the door a moment.  “I think so.  I didn’t have the heart to tell him about what I decided about my powers.  He just seemed so happy to finally be free of whatever the Council had done to him.”  Bob coughed as he followed Madeline down the hall.  “Maddie, are you sure about this?  You wouldn’t have to worry about these powers anymore.  You’d have a normal life again.”  Shaking her head, Madeline turned to face Bob on the landing before the stairs.  “No, Bob.  Not until Mr. Stark and Dr. Benton find a cure for you too.  I love you.  I don’t want you to feel alone in this.”  She smiled at her husband.  “Besides, if I wanted a normal life, I wouldn’t have married you.”  Bob gave a sigh of relief and smiled back.  “I’m glad to hear that.  For a second, seeing you and Fighting… I mean, Bruce, flying and talking together, I thought I should be worried.”  Madeline turned and started walking down the stairs, calling back cheekily.  “Actually, I wanted to tell you.  Bruce and I are getting married tomorrow.  Mr. Stark will officiate, you can be the flower girl and Princess Python can be the ring bearer.”  Bob grinned.  “Oh really?”  He sped down the stairs and lifted up Madeline into his arms as she laughed.  Angie and Diana looked on as the happy couple zoomed through the hall before speeding back upstairs to their room. 

Angie grinned at Diana.  “Married people these days.  Always moving so fast.”  Diana rolled her eyes.  “At least those two have something to do.  With Nefaria gone, there’s nobody to bankroll my.. er, I mean, the show.  I suppose you and the other girls will be out of a job like I am.” 

“Oh, not at all!” said Angie.  “Turns out Hebson found a new backer, and the show’s back on.”  Diana huffed in annoyance.  “Hmm!  How dare they!  They know this is my chance to rebuild my reputation!  Those papers saying that I did what I did because I was overworked!  They can’t do this show without me!”  Angie gave a look behind Diana.  “Maybe you should talk to the backer then?”  Diana turned to see Howard, Benton, and Jarvis walking up from the cellar.  Diana looked back at Angie in disbelief.  “Howard?!  Howard is the backer?!”  Angie nodded, biting her lips to contain her amusement.  Diana whirled around to Howard, putting on her biggest smile.  “Howard, darling!  I just heard the wonderful news!  It’s so wonderful that you are putting up the money for the show!” 

“Actually, I’ve bought the rights to the show,” said Howard.  “Also a controlling stake in the theater.”  Diana took his arm, laughing through gritted teeth.  “Oh really?  How very clever of you, Howard.  Howard, darling, is there any chance that you could find a spot for me?  I mean, I only got fired because of Nefaria manipulating me and…”  Howard glanced at Benton then held up a hand to quiet Diana.  “Don’t worry, Miss Adams.  I’m sure we can fit you in somewhere.  Perhaps we can discuss it over lunch.  For now, I need to speak with Dr. Benton.  If you don’t mind?”  Diana let go of Howard’s arm and hurried up the stairs.  “Oh, not at all!  Not at all!  It will be so much fun to… work with you again, Howard darling!” 

Benton raised an eyebrow at Howard.  “’Howard darling?’”  Howard shrugged.  “It’s a showbiz thing, Dr. Benton.  Don’t worry about it.  But I do have an offer for you.  Seeing as how you still have the formula of your serum bouncing around that noggin of yours.”  Benton dismissively waved his hand.  “No.  I am not going to experiment with that serum again.  Not after all the trouble it’s caused.”  Jarvis and Howard shared a look before Howard went on.  “Oh.  Oh, of course not.  Er, but I was thinking of perhaps offering you a job.  There’s a scientist named Wilkes in the SSR.  I helped him get his start.  I’m sure they would appreciate having your expertise there.  They sure could use it.”  Benton was taken aback.  He cleared his throat and looked at Howard’s outstretched hand.  “Thank you, Mr. Stark.  I would be honored.  But I would like some time before I throw myself into research again.  I need to make sure that Bruce is fully recovered.  And then I’m going home to my wife.  Jean must be worried sick.  Can I take some time to think about it?”  Howard slowly put his hand back in his pocket.  “Sure, sure.  Just don’t take too long.”  He grinned at Jarvis.  “Well, Mr. Jarvis.  I suppose everything’s returning to normal around here.”  Jarvis looked grim as he looked out the window.  “I can only hope they are for Miss Carter as well, sir.” 

New York City, New York.  New York Bell Company (SSR Office)

Peggy and Daniel stood in front of Acting Chief Flynn.  He drummed his fingers on the desk, looking annoyed at the two agents.  “May I first say that I give my condolences to you both, regarding the loss of Agent Thompson.  He was one of SSR’s finest operatives.”  He gazed at Peggy, who remained at attention.  “And may I also give my personal condolences to you, Miss Carter.  From your report, your brother was a good, brave man.”  Peggy remained silent.  Flynn rose from his seat and began to pace behind his desk.  “The higher ups in Washington have decided that given Agent Thompson’s passing, that I shall be placed in charge of the East coast branch of the SSR permanently.  Which leaves me with the rather unenviable task of what to do with you two.”  He folded his arms and stared out the window as he went on.  “You engaged in an operation without SSR approval.  You harbored a fugitive wanted for attempted murder.  And you only decided to call in the SSR as a precaution before you went to the Catskills to engage the enemy.”  He sighed and turned back to Peggy and Daniel.  “But, on the other hand, your activity managed to stop a Leviathan plot, bring several Maggia members into custody, and destroy technology that could have jeopardized national security.”  He walked back to his seat and sat down at the desk.  “With that said, and given Mr. Stark’s report to the World Security Council, I have decided not to stand in the way of Chief Sousa being allowed to return to Los Angeles with his rank as Chief intact.  As for you, Miss Carter, a reprimand will be put into your file.  You will be taken off duty for the next 4 weeks and be put into protective custody, just in case Maggia or Leviathan attempt to come after you.  And when you come back to this office, I am going to watch you like a hawk.  Is that understood?”  Peggy nodded sharply.  “Yes, Chief.” 

“Acting…”  Flynn stopped himself, then coughed nervously.  “Um, yes.  Chief.  Yes.  Well, erm.  Dismissed.”  Daniel and Peggy walked to the door, which Sousa held open for Peggy.  “Just one more thing,” Flynn said.  They turned back to the chief, who took a deep breath.  “Good work, Agent Carter.”  Peggy said nothing, and walked out the door followed by Daniel.  Flynn walked to the doorway and pointed to some agents.  “Alright, people!  Let’s get to work!  Somebody get me the files on this Zodiac case!  Move it!” 

“I suppose we should call ourselves lucky,” said Daniel as Peggy and him walked out of the New York Bell Company.  “My flight won’t be until tomorrow morning.  We could maybe catch a show or something or…” 

“Daniel,” Peggy interrupted softly.  Daniel looked concerned.  “Peg?  What’s wrong?”  Peggy looked up at Daniel.  “I’m sorry.  I know you mean well.  But I can’t.” 

“Can’t?  Can’t what?”  Peggy sniffed and turned away from Daniel.  “I can’t just go back to where we were.  Not now.  I’ve lost Michael, and Jack.  I don’t want you to get hurt too.”  Daniel took Peggy into his arms.  “Peggy, it isn’t your fault.  They did what they felt they had to do.  You mustn’t blame yourself.”  Peggy gently pushed Daniel back.  “Once in a heated argument, Mr. Jarvis once told me that  everyone who got close to me dies.  He apologized for it.  But now, I don’t know where I stand with the SSR or in my life.  And I feel it would be best if I took some time to find out.”  Daniel looked stunned at Peggy.  “Peggy, please.  I love you.  Don’t push me away.”  Peggy kissed Daniel, tears in her eyes.  “I love you too, Daniel.  That’s why for now, I think it has to be this way.”  Daniel gave Peggy a last embrace, then gazed at her face.  “I’ll be waiting for you, Peggy.” 

New Rochelle, New York. 

The taxi cab dropped off Peggy at the corner opposite the small cream colored house.  She made her down the path and up the stone staircase and opened the door.  The house had been sparsely furnished by the SSR, but contained enough to make it comfortable.  But at that moment, Peggy’s mind was on anything but her temporary home.  She thought of Jack and Michael, giving their lives to save hers.  She thought of Daniel, looking on putting their relationship on hold with a mix of necessity and regret.  And above all else, she thought about the mysterious presence that had been seemingly following her, keeping herself battling Miss Masque and Nefaria’s men.  Even during the fight at the bunker, there had been moments when her shield seemed to have a life of it’s own, as if someone else had caught it and hurled it at it’s target.  And there was something else, something that not even she could put into words.  A feeling of… familiarity. 

There was a sudden gust of wind that rushed through the house.  The force knocked Peggy to her knees.  She looked up to see the wind start to swirl into the glowing, shadowy figure she had seen at Stark’s mansion.  She gazed at the figure in fear as his features grew clearer.  When the light had faded and the wind had stopped, standing in the middle of the living room, was a man in a strange red and white body suit and helmet.  Peggy got to her feet and stared at the man.  “Who are you?  What do you want?”  The man pressed an unseen button, and the helmet fell away, revealing the face beneath. 

Peggy gasped and put her hands over her mouth in shock.  It was the face of a handsome man with blond hair in blue eyes.  Eyes that she remembered even after all this time.  His face was more rugged, but those eyes were somehow still the same.  “Hey, Peggy,” said Steve Rogers.  Peggy backed away from him and into a chair.  Steve held out his hands.  “It’s okay.  Peggy, it’s okay.  Please don’t be afraid.”  Peggy looked open mouthed at Steve, not knowing what to say.  “Steve?  Is it really you?”  Steve slowly reached behind his back, releasing his shield and holding out to her.  “Peggy, it’s me.  I’m so sorry for making you wait for me.  Stark’s tech wasn’t being as exact as I thought it would be so I had to jump around a little and…” 

“Stark?” Peggy asked.  “Howard knows you’re here?” 

“No, not Howard.  Tony…”  Steve stopped himself short.  “Oh, right.  He isn’t here yet.”  Peggy put her head in her hands.  “This impossible.  Steve, how… where have you…?”  Steve set the shield down against the chair.  “I’ll explain it all to you as best I can.”  He smiled gently at Peggy, a tear in his eye.  “But right now, I owe a girl a dance.” 

Bursting into tears, Peggy rushed into Steve’s arms.  As she embraced and kissed him, she didn’t know entirely what was happening, or what the future would bring.  There was only one thing that mattered, one thought that ran through her mind. 

Captain Steve Rogers had finally come home.