Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Rumble 20539 Whitespikes vs. The Xenomorphs
MATCH SCORE
Whitespikes: 0
The Xenomorphs: 3

Cameron Poe vs. Castor Troy
MATCH SCORE
Cameron Poe: 3
Castor Troy: 0

Raphael (Mirage) vs. Ken Masters
MATCH SCORE
Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

10:3 - Melvin Udall vs. Evelyn O'Connell

SEASON 10, ROUND 3

Melvin Udall

Slot: The Team's Lady Killer
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Melvin Udall at this Wiki
Official Site: Sony Pictures

Evelyn O'Connell

Slot: The Team's Man Eater
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Evelyn O'Connell at this Wiki
Official Site: Universal Pictures

Battle Terrain
Romance Scenario: The Terminator

Barring suspension of disbelief for this scenario, it could be possible that these two could see something in each other, as both Evelyn and Melvin have something in common in that of their passions for libraries, books, and in a more romantic kind of life. Udall is no O'Connell for sure, but he doesn't stay a jerk forever, as his love for and relationship with Carol, as well as his strained, but present friendship with Simon, do transform him from being closed off, prejudiced, and self-centered, to being much more open, tolerant, and selfless as a result. By the end of the movie, he is paying for Carol's son's medical treatments, letting Simon stay with him in his spare bedroom, accepting Simon's dog Verdell and his nature as a dog, in living with him, and growing in his ability to tolerate and accept the many things in life that don't go the way that he would like or would expect them to go. All of this is very poetic and nice in a sort of way, but of course the question remains would Evie even see any of this as worthy of her affections?

That, in and of itself, is a tricky question to answer to me, but I think that under certain circumstances, Evie could see something in Melvin, especially post transformation Melvin, as he does seem to reflect the better, more mature, and more adult, for lack of a better word, side of Rick in some ways, that Evie in the original scenario was attracted to. Melvin is no adventurer, gun fighter or hero in the traditional sense at all, but his more heroic side, although not initially shown in the earlier parts of his movie, does eventually get shown in the things he is willing to do, and the risks he is willing to take, especially given his condition, such that he would be willing to take risk to do many risky things for someone he loves theoretically, and perhaps such that Evie might find him to be an endearing option for a potential partner in life.

The way I see it, for him, Melvin would see Evie's beauty for sure, but he would fall for her character and nature as she does have a very similar nature to Carol, his original love interest, in her kindness, straight laced nature, as she is interested in Egyptology and ancient artifacts, but not so much that she is without her sense of care and compassion for other people, and for ability to speak her mind, as Evie, for sure, is someone who has no problem telling it how it is most of the time, even if she occasionally does pause before she goes too far in what she will say to someone.

For Evie, Melvin would not match Rick in the same ways most would expect, as he lacks the brash, adventuring nature that Rick had, but in other ways, Melvin would appeal to her in a similar sense to Rick, as Melvin can be kind, generous, selfless, and self-sacrificing at times, although under different circumstances, and while it is a stretch to say in the least, that Evie would fall in love with Melvin in a general sense, in another sense Udall is not without a similar charm in his maturity, word and honesty, as he can be a jerk too, but also possesses a heart of gold that only requires the right spark to get beating properly.

Surviving the scenario here would be interesting for both parties, even more so for Melvin, as a romance writer would seem like a very odd choice to send back to the past to protect a Egyptologist librarian from a robot assassin, but who knows, maybe it could work?

Hollywood has pitched some even more off the wall ideas in the past, and it is not too far fetched to think of Jack Nicholson in an action role in some capacity, but Udall perhaps would not be the immediate Nicholson character role I would think of for said idea or genre themed story, but again, who knows?

Heh, I've seen As Good As It Gets. Melvin is curmudgeonly and has OCD. He'd actually be a strong contender in the Romance Rejected category.

5 hours ago, DSkillz said:

Heh, I've seen As Good As It Gets. Melvin is curmudgeonly and has OCD. He'd actually be a strong contender in the Romance Rejected category.

True, but as the film progresses he does manage to handle both of those negative aspects of his personality. Although, I most preface this by saying that OCD in and of itself, isn't a completely negative aspect of who one is, it is how you deal with it that is important.

That being said, I think in some ways, especially later on in the journey Udall takes, he could be successfully in being less of a hopeless romantic with certain contenders, as inside of him, the man does have a good heart and does care at some level for people, it just took some time to bring those things out of him. Post transformation Udall, could probably attract certain types of people, as he is stuck up and grouchy at times, but can also be kind-hearted when given the right moments, these attributes do attract certain people's attention and romantic affections.

I don’t think Eevie is interested in romance novels. She is definitely more of a scholarly reader and I don’t think is that interesting in romance in general, she stays monogamous to Rick pretty much her whole life and didn’t seem to have much romance going on before he arrived; and he was in her interests.