Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Rumble 20539 Whitespikes vs. The Xenomorphs
MATCH SCORE
Whitespikes: 0
The Xenomorphs: 3

Cameron Poe vs. Castor Troy
MATCH SCORE
Cameron Poe: 3
Castor Troy: 0

Raphael (Mirage) vs. Ken Masters
MATCH SCORE
Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

9:8 - Mario vs. Sora

SEASON 9, ROUND 8

Mario

Slot: The Team's Platformer
Season Wins: 1
Season Losses: 1
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Mario at this Wiki
Official Site: Nintendo

Sora

Slot: The Team's Platformer
Season Wins: 1
Season Losses: 1
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Sora at this Wiki
Official Site: Square-Enix

Battle Terrain
Platformer Challenge: Ghosts n Goblins

2D Platformers are much more Mario's forte than they are Sora's. I have no doubt that Sora can do well in this, but Mario is accustomed a lot better to "anything that touches you will kill you" type of gameplay when compared to Sora.

Sora could win pretty easily, but Mario could conceivably do it faster. He's much more used to just running past enemies, and he's skilled and strong enough to take anything he can't just run past, like bosses or the like. His platforming is also better

If this is about who can the highest score faster Sora might actually take this. Remember that he’s considered one of the fastest characters in a world of FTL+ fighters and he can freaking stop time! I just see Sora blitzing through enemies much faster and more efficiently then Mario.

I always wanted to play Ghosts 'n Goblins. I've heard the series has produced some of the toughest 2D platform games out there.

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

2D Platformers are much more Mario's forte than they are Sora's. I have no doubt that Sora can do well in this, but Mario is accustomed a lot better to "anything that touches you will kill you" type of gameplay when compared to Sora.

Sora's arguably more nimble than Mario in some ways, what with his dodge rolls, dashes, and mid-air combos, and his glide/superglide, as was shown in the previous round, allows him to move faster under his own power than Mario has even with most of his power-ups. Sora also deals with quicker and more powerful enemies.

Mario also has generally has the same problem as King Arthur in only being able to take a hit or two without dying, and as crowded with enemies as a Ghosts 'n Gobilns game tends to get, Mario ain't avoiding getting hit forever. Sora, meanwhile, not has more ways to dodge or block attacks than Mario, he can also generally take more hits and heal himself if need be.

At some point, both will have to fight bosses to get through each level. There won't be any goals or axes to grab for Mario, stomping may not work, most of his projectiles may not be all that effective, and it doesn't seem advisable for him to get up close to fight. Sora, meanwhile, has his combat skills and magic attacks handy, not to mention abilities like his Limit Form.

3 hours ago, DSkillz said:

I always wanted to play Ghosts 'n Goblins. I've heard the series has produced some of the toughest 2D platform games out there.

Sora's arguably more nimble than Mario in some ways, what with his dodge rolls, dashes, and mid-air combos, and his glide/superglide, as was shown in the previous round, allows him to move faster under his own power than Mario has even with most of his power-ups. Sora also deals with quicker and more powerful enemies.

Mario also has generally has the same problem as King Arthur in only being able to take a hit or two without dying, and as crowded with enemies as a Ghosts 'n Gobilns game tends to get, Mario ain't avoiding getting hit forever. Sora, meanwhile, not has more ways to dodge or block attacks than Mario, he can also generally take more hits and heal himself if need be.

At some point, both will have to fight bosses to get through each level. There won't be any goals or axes to grab for Mario, stomping may not work, most of his projectiles may not be all that effective, and it doesn't seem advisable for him to get up close to fight. Sora, meanwhile, has his combat skills and magic attacks handy, not to mention abilities like his Limit Form.

Eh, you're being very limiting to Mario. He has a plethora of RPG appearances that make him far stronger than you're giving him credit for and give him a variety of options that he can use to stomp out any bosses he runs into.  

19 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

Eh, you're being very limiting to Mario. He has a plethora of RPG appearances that make him far stronger than you're giving him credit for and give him a variety of options that he can use to stomp out any bosses he runs into.  

Ah, forgot about the Mario RPG's.

Sora's got quite a few moves as well, though, including from games not too unlike Mario's RPG's. And as mentioned, he's used to dealing with quicker and more powerful foes than Mario's or the Ghosts 'N Goblins monsters in the Heartless, Nobodies, Dream Eaters, and especially Xenahort's various incarnations, Organization XIIl, and various FF characters and Disney villains.

Because Sora's attacks tend to almost whittle away at his foes, they likely would be harder-hitting against the G 'N G crew.

23 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Can I get some proof that he's FTL?

I mean it says so on his VS Battle page, which specifically lists examples like repeatedly dodging lightning cast from keyblades and blocking/reflecting a huge surrounding wall of laser blasts alongside Riku.

D5F6142B-642F-469C-BE36-831E0E4DF581.thumb.png.1e9833bd91f9d35e61576202efe76934.png

Also almost half of the higher tier enemies he fights in Kingdom Hearts have some form of light based attacks and Sora consistently takes them on and wins. So again in terms of who can get the better score at a faster rate, I’m putting my money on Sora.

1 minute ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

I mean it says so on his VS Battle page, which specifically lists examples like repeatedly dodging lightning cast from keyblades

Lightning doesn't move as fast as light no matter how you slice it, and that's if we're even being generous and treating it as real lightning and not magical, slow moving lightning that's frequent in fiction.

1 minute ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

blocking/reflecting a huge surrounding wall of laser blasts alongside Riku.

Does he react to the lasers after they've been fired? Do the lasers act like actual lasers as opposed to fictional lasers?

2 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Also almost half of the higher tier enemies he fights in Kingdom Hearts have some form of light based attacks and Sora consistently takes them on and wins.

That still doesn't mean they're actually throwing things around at lightspeed.

Mario is also treated as massively faster than Sora according to this website, but it doesn't really matter cause I'd think twice before referring to either of these characters as lightspeed let alone to the massive degree this website is purporting them to be.

19 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Does he react to the lasers after they've been fired? Do the lasers act like actual lasers as opposed to fictional lasers?

I mean here’s the feat, go to 3:03 for when it specifically starts. 

25 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

That still doesn't mean they're actually throwing things around at lightspeed.

Mario is also treated as massively faster than Sora according to this website, but it doesn't really matter cause I'd think twice before referring to either of these characters as lightspeed let alone to the massive degree this website is purporting them to be.

Look I get where your coming from when it comes to real laser feats vs fictional slow moving laser feats, me and PeyPey have argued that point several times now. Here’s my opinion on the matter, if the universe the story takes place in supports the notion of lightspeed travel then specific laser/light based attacks should be counted as moving at the speed of light. As I mentioned during my debate with Peypey, the fact that Green Lantern rings are regularly described as light based weaponry and the fact that they regularly have to travel across the dc universe and traverse countless galaxies and solar systems, it definitely fits the story that their weapons are capable of lightspeed travel and thusly their attacks and reaction times should be counted as lightspeed. In the Kingdom Hearts setting, the different worlds Sora travels to are portrayed as the stars we see in the night sky, which implies that each world is at least a different planet or even different solar system away from each other. Considering that we regularly see characters like the Birth by Sleep trio (Ventus, Terra, and Aqua) and the members of Organization XIII travel between these worlds without the aid of any spacecrafts, then it is reasonable to assume that speed of light travel is a reasonable speed feat by these characters, and thus if characters like Sora, Riku, Xemnas and other comparable characters utilize obviously light based attacks it is reasonable to consider those attacks are in fact lightspeed. Because if they can regularly travel at least the FTL+ required speed to move across galaxies, then why would it be unreasonable to say their attack and reaction speeds don’t match said speeds?

4 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

I mean here’s the feat, go to 3:03 for when it specifically starts. 

Look I get where your coming from when it comes to real laser feats vs fictional slow moving laser feats, me and PeyPey have argued that point several times now. Here’s my opinion on the matter, if the universe the story takes place in supports the notion of lightspeed travel then specific laser/light based attacks should be counted as moving at the speed of light. As I mentioned during my debate with Peypey, the fact that Green Lantern rings are regularly described as light based weaponry and the fact that they regularly have to travel across the dc universe and traverse countless galaxies and solar systems, it definitely fits the story that their weapons are capable of lightspeed travel and thusly their attacks and reaction times should be counted as lightspeed. In the Kingdom Hearts setting, the different worlds Sora travels to are portrayed as the stars we see in the night sky, which implies that each world is at least a different planet or even different solar system away from each other. Considering that we regularly see characters like the Birth by Sleep trio (Ventus, Terra, and Aqua) and the members of Organization XIII travel between these worlds without the aid of any spacecrafts, then it is reasonable to assume that speed of light travel is a reasonable speed feat by these characters, and thus if characters like Sora, Riku, Xemnas and other comparable characters utilize obviously light based attacks it is reasonable to consider those attacks are in fact lightspeed. Because if they can regularly travel at least the FTL+ required speed to move across galaxies, then why would it be unreasonable to say their attack and reaction speeds don’t match said speeds?

Alright, well, in that case Mario is massively faster than Sora then? Like by a hilarious amount?

So-called "FTL" feats, eck.

So many ways writers, etc. get them wrong, and so many ways to take them out of context.

5 minutes ago, DSkillz said:

So-called "FTL" feats, eck.

So many ways writers, etc. get them wrong, and so many ways to take them out of context.

Right?! I don't think these people understand how easy it is to trivialize things if you actually move at FTL speeds.

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

Alright, well, in that case Mario is massively faster than Sora then? Like by a hilarious amount?

Not really, both are listed as being Massively FTL+. But in Mario’s case while it has been a while since I’ve played a Super Mario Galaxy game but I don’t recall him actually traveling between world of his own power, he was launched between worlds by a Launch Star pad but being thrown from world to world doesn’t really count as traveling to it of your own power. Also I definitely don’t recall a time where Mario actually dodged a light based attack in combat, especially nothing that compares to Sora blocking continuous rounds of lightspeed attacks in KH 2.

Also again Sora can stop time so he can literally clear his level before Mario takes a breath.

2 hours ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Also again Sora can stop time so he can literally clear his level before Mario takes a breath.

They're not competing directly though. Slowing time would be great for clearing out enemies but Mario would earn just as many points if he just killed them regularly, and in any game I can think of that has a countdown clock not tied to the plot, stopping time wouldn't stop that out-of-universe clock