Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Rumble 20539 Whitespikes vs. The Xenomorphs
MATCH SCORE
Whitespikes: 0
The Xenomorphs: 3

Cameron Poe vs. Castor Troy
MATCH SCORE
Cameron Poe: 3
Castor Troy: 0

Raphael (Mirage) vs. Ken Masters
MATCH SCORE
Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

8:11 - Static (DC) vs. Venom

UMPIRE

SEASON 8, ROUND 11

Static (DC)

Slot: Vs. Battle Wiki Tier: Urban (Low Power)
Season Wins: 2
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Static (DC) at Wikipedia
Official Site: DC Comics

Venom

Slot: Vs. Battle Wiki Tier: Urban (Low Power)
Season Wins: 4
Season Losses: 1
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Venom at Wikipedia
Official Site: Marvel Comics

Battle Terrain
Combat Terrain: Pandora Night

So Venom has an edge in that he doesn't need to breathe, but that shouldn't be an issue for Static who can keep Venom away from him with forcefields. Even if statics breather gets trashed he'll just fix it, so it shouldn't end up being a game changer even if Venom somehow reaches him.

What will be a game changer is Static's ability to create heat. He can mimic blowtorches powerful enough to melt through thick steel quickly.

And while I think this is a bit of an edge case, Static's control of his powers could even allow him to separate the symbiote from its host.

23 minutes ago, Peypeypeypey said:

I know he's weak to fire, but what about electricity? That could be a big swing in Static's favor. Not sure about this one right now

It's not a particular weakness, but from what I can gather it does hurt if powerful enough. Static does generate powerful electric shocks, and electricity does generate heat, plus a lightning bolt can pretty easily light some trees on fire.

6 minutes ago, Bergy_Berg said:

So Venom has an edge in that he doesn't need to breathe, but that shouldn't be an issue for Static who can keep Venom away from him with forcefields. Even if statics breather gets trashed he'll just fix it, so it shouldn't end up being a game changer even if Venom somehow reaches him.

What will be a game changer is Static's ability to create heat. He can mimic blowtorches powerful enough to melt through thick steel quickly.

And while I think this is a bit of an edge case, Static's control of his powers could even allow him to separate the symbiote from its host.

It's not a particular weakness, but from what I can gather it does hurt if powerful enough. Static does generate powerful electric shocks, and electricity does generate heat, plus a lightning bolt can pretty easily light some trees on fire.

Do you have a scan of him generating heat that way? I'm not doubting he can do it, but I don't see that feat on his RT. While he can make shields, they seem more designed to stop projectiles and energy. This big ol' doofus charging him seems to totally break his shield. He does have some heat-based feats, but they all seem to involve situationally specific elements that wouldn't apply to Venom. In fact, this environment in general would really work against Static, as he doesn't really have anything to utilize around him, which seems to be how he often wins his fights. Also, found a feat of Venom resisting lightning with no problem, so Static is gonna have to think outside of the box on this one. I'm still not 100% convinced he could do that before Venom beats him

I think Venom being able to close in the fight is a big advantage, especially with the terrain. In the Jungle, I think Static’s flight is going to be more compromised, while Venom is going to have a bunch of stuff to web and move around with. Removing the apparatus, beating him down, or ingestion of the symbiote are all wincons, where Static needs more creativity. I think Venom just has an edge.

I'm busy for the next few hours, but want to throw a couple things in for Static before I have to go.

First, it appears he's aware of the Spider-Man comics. He probably knows about Symbiotes already, which means he can target the person inside. Or, he takes advantage of the known weaknesses of symbiotes and starts some fires. Also, how much noise do you think he can produce with his strikes? My guess is a lot.

He has incredible control over his powers, pulling the electrons off and enemy and frying him in a creative fashion.

Also, I can't find the scan right now, but I know when I tried to pick static for an earlier draft and he got denied I ended up finding a scan of him melting his way through what looked like a bank vault. Will try to find that later.

It all depends on how seriously Static takes the fight from the beginning, cause Venom is definitely the first one to in-character go for the kill. As it stands, Berg has pulled up some good scans for Static (namely the one where Static is aware of Spider-Man as a superhero, and by virtue of that, aware of his greatest nemesis), but you can never be too sure how Static takes fights. He appears to be a goof ball for the most part so Venom still has a chance.

3 hours ago, Bergy_Berg said:

I'm busy for the next few hours, but want to throw a couple things in for Static before I have to go.

First, it appears he's aware of the Spider-Man comics. He probably knows about Symbiotes already, which means he can target the person inside. Or, he takes advantage of the known weaknesses of symbiotes and starts some fires. Also, how much noise do you think he can produce with his strikes? My guess is a lot.

He has incredible control over his powers, pulling the electrons off and enemy and frying him in a creative fashion.

Also, I can't find the scan right now, but I know when I tried to pick static for an earlier draft and he got denied I ended up finding a scan of him melting his way through what looked like a bank vault. Will try to find that later.

the writers making an offhand remark to Spider-Man doesn’t prove anything. It’s not like he’s reading a spidey comic or something, it’s a really big stretch to assume he knows anything about Venom when they are in separate universes. There are a lot of tongue-in-cheek references that don’t mean anything. Venom also fights noisy things all the time without an issue, it’s concentrated sonic that is an issue with him.

The second attack is still lighting-based right? Which Venom still has resistance to. Again, I feel like Venom has a lot of ways to close the fight in this scenario and should be able to knock around Static once the fight is in close. 

Lighting strikes cause intense amounts of heat and have a sonic aftereffect, both being Venom's weaknesses. A strong strike from Static, which he can easily make stronger than the scan above that hurts Venom, is going to have an effect

23 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

That looks more like him not expecting the blitz, but the shield still protecting him.

20 hours ago, Magnamax said:

the writers making an offhand remark to Spider-Man doesn’t prove anything

It proves he has knowledge of the Spidey-sense, which implies knowledge of Spider-Man. Unless spiders in milestone/DC universes have a 6th sense.

23 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

Right, so Static has a great understanding of the science surrounding his powers. Which he's shown to be able to use creatively to create advantages for himself.

Is unobtanium a metal? That may be even one additional piece that Static can take advantage of, since he can sense metal and rip it out of the ground. It gives him an additional tool. I don't think Static needs that to win, but it's an option.

33 minutes ago, Culwych1 said:

Not sure if this is relevant as I haven't read the comic, but looks like Venom has fought Electro and took it quite easily.

Electro has lower durability and lacks the force fields static can create.

That scan also isn't a "fight". Venom gets the jump on Electro, who never gets a shot off. I like Static's chances of protecting himself better than Ecectro's, being that if Static stays above the tree line Venom can never get behind him like that.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bergy_Berg said:

Electro has lower durability and lacks the force fields static can create.

That scan also isn't a "fight". Venom gets the jump on Electro, who never gets a shot off. I like Static's chances of protecting himself better than Ecectro's, being that if Static stays above the tree line Venom can never get behind him like that.

Makes sense.

5 hours ago, Bergy_Berg said:

Lighting strikes cause intense amounts of heat and have a sonic aftereffect, both being Venom's weaknesses. A strong strike from Static, which he can easily make stronger than the scan above that hurts Venom, is going to have an effect

That looks more like him not expecting the blitz, but the shield still protecting him.

It proves he has knowledge of the Spidey-sense, which implies knowledge of Spider-Man. Unless spiders in milestone/DC universes have a 6th sense.

Right, so Static has a great understanding of the science surrounding his powers. Which he's shown to be able to use creatively to create advantages for himself.

Is unobtanium a metal? That may be even one additional piece that Static can take advantage of, since he can sense metal and rip it out of the ground. It gives him an additional tool. I don't think Static needs that to win, but it's an option.

Unobtainium is metal, but even on Pandora it's very rare and hard to find if memory serves. While you're scientificially right about lightning causing those things, Venom has shrugged off very strong lightning attacks without it really damaging him. His exact words were something to the effect of "It can hurt me, but can't kill me." Maybe the heat isn't concentrated enough, or the sound is the wrong frequency or something, but we do know for a fact that even very strong lightning doesn't defeat him. 

Whether or not the shield protects him from the impact, my point is that someone charging him is able to get close enough to make physical contact. His shield is almost always used to block projectiles and energy in his RT. I'm no expert on the character though, all I know is the one time Static gets physically charged with his shield up it doesn't really stop the person from making contact, which could be a deadly mistake with Venom

I agree that it implies some level of knowledge about spider sense, but that doesn't prove he knows Venom's weakness at all. IRL, there are a lot of people who are aware that Spiderman has a Spidey-sense because it's just common pop culture knowledge, but I bet a ton of those people wouldn't know Venom's weakness if you asked