MATCH SCORE
Team Fortress 2: 0
Inhumanoids: 3

Match 16218 Darli Dagger vs. Zarina

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART CXIV

zarinna.jpg.dd2a6d80cd6a8154dc6a59c8450f53a2.jpg

While the pirate, Maxi, met up with the Archers of Sirius, to discuss hunting down the Fygal Cestemus and its monster, Astaroth; his first mate, Darli Dagger, went on a recruiting trip in the streets of Italy to bolster up their ranks.  (REF: MAXI VS. CLAUDIO SERAFINO)  She talked to locals and even posted a help wanted poster at a port bar. She was quickly able to drum up interest from a variety of men and women, some who were immediately intimidated by her rough and tough appearance and others who were drawn in by it. But one stood out amongst the pack.

She wore bright colors that contrasted nicely with her darker complexion. She also had a toucan on her shoulder.

“Hello,” she said brightly. “Are you the one looking for sailors to help on your ship?”

“Yeah,” replied Darli. “Are you a sailor?”

“Not exactly, but I believe I can be useful to your crew,” the woman answered.

“If you are going for the pirate look, you have the wrong bird. You also don’t look like any of the other Italians I’ve come across,” noted Darli. :Are you an island girl?”

“I am Colombian, by way of Brazil,” the woman answered. “My name is Zarina and this is Coco.”

Darli regarded Zarina and her bird with bemusement.

“It is my goal to build a wonderful bird sanctuary for Coco and his friends to help them avoid extinction. But to do that I need to raise money,” Zarina explained. “I was told that you would pay well to join in on this adventure, so here I am. Do not worry about me, I have been on many boats before.”

“That is certainly a noble cause and one worth investing in, but I must warn you this isn’t a cruise liner you are signing up for,” stated Darli. “This adventure is dangerous.”

“I can take care of myself, no problem,” Zarina assured. “I am a fighter. I can demonstrate if you want proof.”

A smarmy looking well built man approached the two women. “Ciao belle signore. Which one of you lovely ladies is Darli Dagger? Marco is here to protect you and make all your seafaring fantasies come true”

Darli tilted her head toward Zarina. “Now is your chance.” She then turned toward Marco. “Marco, I am Darli Dagger and we could certainly use a big, macho man such as yourself, but I need to make sure you’re not just talk.”

“Certainly, and how do you want to do that?”

“By fighting me,” Zarina interrupted.

“Per favore, I don’t wish to hurt such a delicate flower,” said Marco.

“Just worry about keeping your guard up,” Zarina warned.

Zarina made quick work of her impromptu opponent. She jumped in the air and kicked Marco in the face. Before the stunned Italian could react, Zarina spun on her hands and delivered a helicopter kick to the man that put him down. 

Darli smiled at Zarina. “You’re hired. Coco is invited as well.” She looked down at Marco. “Better luck next time.”

Darli Dagger, Zarina, and her other new recruits met up with the captain, Maxi, and some of the Archers of Sirius before boarding Maxi’s boat. 

Their destination was Mexico and a showdown with the Fygal Cestemus. Once on the boat, Zarina quickly became a favorite of the rest of the crew. She alternated her time between training some of the pirates in hand to hand combat alongside Darli and teaching them how to Samba dance. Even Maxi gave the dance a try. As much fun as she was having, Zarina knew there was a serious threat on the horizon.

The night before they were to land at their destined port, Zarina was visited in her cabin by the leader of the Archers of Sirius, Claudio Serafino. He had taken note of her during the fighting sessions on the deck.

“Come in,” she called.

Claudio walked in and Zarina appeared happy to see him. “Mr. Serafino. What can I help you with? Are you here to talk me through the plan? I hear this group has some sort of monster we will have to take on. I am excited.”

“That is true,” Claudio confirmed. “But, it’s not why I am here.”
Zarina furrowed her brow in confusion.

“Darli said you were a fighter, and I have been meaning to tell you that you have some really impressive moves. Have you competed in any martial arts tournaments?”

Zarina smiled. “Yes. The King of Fighters tournament. Although I didn’t win I would love to get another shot so I can raise some money for a bird sanctuary.”

“What if I were to offer you a significant amount of money for your bird sanctuary, would you help me?” Claudio inquired.

“With what?” asked Zarina.

“When we land tomorrow, I need you to keep Darli occupied so that I can confront Maxi uninterrupted,” answered Claudio.

“What?!?”

“I am not sure if you can feel it, but there is malevolence residing in the captain of this vessel,” Claudio remarked.

Zarina was rendered speechless.

“He is actually my main reason for being here,” Claudio confessed.  “I have heard countless stories about a man possessed by evil sailing the seas. Apparently, He has been around for centuries. It was only after I researched him that I learned about the Fygal Cestemus and Astaroth. Initially I thought I would use him to take out the cult before I confronted him directly. Take down two evils at once. But, I’m not so sure that is a good idea.” 

“You really think Maxi is evil?” Zarina wondered.

“Evil himself, perhaps not,” replied Claudio. “But, there is definitely wickedness in his soul. I have never felt anything like it. I am now afraid if it goes unchecked, it could completely take over Maxi in any potential conflict with Astaroth. There could be a lot of innocent lives taken as collateral damage, and I can’t afford to let that happen,”

“What do you plan to do?” asked Zarina.

“Zarina, I am an exorcist. There is an evil inside Maxi that needs to be removed. By force, if necessary,” explained Claudio. “If he won’t let me perform the procedure willingly. I will force the issue.”

Sadness stretched across Zarina’s face.

“I know this all sounds confusing, but believe me it is the best thing for everyone. That includes Maxi.”

darlid.jpg.340684bc8e6d41de7fc7b497824f6683.jpg

The next morning Maxi’s ship docked in Mexico and Zarina did as Claudio requested by immediately asking Darli Dagger to help her find something on the port.  

“Come on Darli, hurry,” Zarina pleaded. “One of the other fighters told me there was something extremely valuable in this port, but it can only be seen in the early hours of the day.”

“That seems strange,” stated Darli. “But, if you have your heart set on it, I will accompany you to whatever this thing is.”

“Thanks. If it’s as valuable as he said it was then it can do a lot to help my fundraising,” Zarina opined.

Darli picked up her jagged saw sword. “I hope for Coco’s sake that you are right about this.”

Zarina flinched a little at the sight of the massive blade. “I don’t think it’s necessary to bring that along.”

“Nonsense. This could be a very dangerous area. We must always be prepared.”

Zarina acquiesced and the two women exited the ship. They then wandered around the port aimlessly for a while before Darli became suspicious.

“Where is this hidden treasure of yours? It feels like we are walking in circles.”

“It must be...well…” Zarina suddenly slumped her shoulders. “I’m sorry. I can’t do this. I am no good at deception.”

“Deception?”

“Mr. Serafino asked me to take you away from the boat so that he could purify Maxi,” Zarina admitted.

Anger quickly rose up inside Darli. “What?!? Maxi doesn’t need to be purified.”

“Mr. Serafino insists there's evil in Maxi. Maxi has always been kind to me since I joined with you guys, but I would be lying if I said I didn’t feel it a little bit too.”

“Zarina, what have you done?” Darli demanded. “There are things going on here that you do not understand. The same thing that infects Maxi, infects me too. It is fine. We have it under control.”

“I was worried you might say that,” stated Zarina.

“I am going back and I’m going to put a stop to this.” Darli declared.

Zarina lifted her arms out and stood in Darli’s path. “No! Darli, I want to be your friend, but in my heart I feel this is the right thing to do. When he is done with Maxi, the Archers can purify you too.”

“You don’t know what you are talking about. Claudio needs to be stopped before he does something terrible.” Darli lifted up her jagged sword. “Now get out of my way. I don’t want to hurt you.”

“I’m sorry, I really am, but I can’t do that.”

Can’t really say that I’m familiar with either of these two fighters. By looks alone though Darli Dagger is clearly the more imposing looking and toughest looking women and she’s starting  the fight with a giant ass sword! Can’t imagine how Zarina is going to defend against that!

I’m also a hopeless romantic at heart and I just couldn’t stand breaking up the Maxi/Darli power couple. 

....Definitely have to go with Darli Dagger here.

From what I can remember of Zarina from playing KOF XIV, she seems to have based off her fighting skills from dancing. Darli comes from an era where the battles were a lot tougher and more dire, and she has that weapon which is a huge advantage.

Looking up the fighters, I think Darli would have gotten my vote. I like her combos a bit more and she seems pretty powerful.

I will also agree with Pizzaguy in that I love the power couple of Darli and Maxi.