MATCH SCORE
General Kregg: 2
Stripe: 0
Brigade: 1

8:2 - Storm vs. Esdeath

UMPIRE

SEASON 8, ROUND 2

Storm

Slot: Vs. Battle Wiki Tier: Tectonic (Medium-High Power)
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Storm at this Wiki
Official Site: Marvel Comics

Esdeath

Slot: Vs. Battle Wiki Tier: Tectonic (Medium-High Power)
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Esdeath at this Wiki
Official Site: Sentai Filmworks

Battle Terrain
Combat Terrain: Asgard

This is a very interesting one, as they have powers that are on paper somewhat similar. Esdeath seems to have more hax, but Storm is both faster and has a solid resistance towards the cold. Storm arguably has experience with similar power through Iceman, but Esdeath's powers are more magical in nature and are stronger than all but the strongest versions of him. Esdeath's time stop is a pretty scary power, but Esdeath also doesn't seem like on to end a fight immediately, and Storm is arguably durable enough to tank the attacks she tends to combo the time stop into. Storm's damage output is pretty noticeably weaker, but not to the extent that I think Esdeath would be unharmed by her stronger attacks. This one is really interesting and I want to get more perspectives on it before I vote

OK, so here's what I get out of it.

Esdeath controls cold.  Snow, Ice and freezing.  Also, her "timestop" ability works like Mei's ultimate in Overwatch - it doesn't literally stop time, it freezes things in a small area.

Storm controls the whole gamut of the weather elements including counters to cold.

Also, Storm flies naturally and solidly. Esdeath does not - she has a gimmick that lets her float.

My take: Storm does not get anywhere near Esdeath and rains destruction down upon her with superior weather control and flight.

4 minutes ago, Fox said:

Also, her "timestop" ability works like Mei's ultimate in Overwatch - it doesn't literally stop time, it freezes things in a small area.

Nah, it literally freezes time. That being said, she doesn't really abuse this attack. It's mostly used to end fights, cause it drains a lot of stamina.

4 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Nah, it literally freezes time. That being said, she doesn't really abuse this attack. It's mostly used to end fights, cause it drains a lot of stamina.

What you've shown me looks like Mei's Ultimate.

Also, limited space around her.  Storm is not a Melee fighter, she doesn't close.

1 minute ago, Fox said:

What you've shown me looks like Mei's Ultimate.

Also, limited space around her.  Storm is not a Melee fighter, she doesn't close.

She froze an explosion behind her. Doesn't seem like that should follow the laws of physics at all. I'm not saying she wins this, just saying that there's a misconception.

44 minutes ago, Fox said:

OK, so here's what I get out of it.

Esdeath controls cold.  Snow, Ice and freezing.  Also, her "timestop" ability works like Mei's ultimate in Overwatch - it doesn't literally stop time, it freezes things in a small area.

Storm controls the whole gamut of the weather elements including counters to cold.

Also, Storm flies naturally and solidly. Esdeath does not - she has a gimmick that lets her float.

My take: Storm does not get anywhere near Esdeath and rains destruction down upon her with superior weather control and flight.

I think that's definitely how Storm would want to play it. For her part though, Esdeath is remarkably durable, far moreso than Storm, and her durability is I think 2 or 3 tiers higher than Storm's damage output, meaning that Storm would have to pelt her for a long while to do any lasting damage, let alone get a win. Esdeath also has attacks that can cover a continent, and while Storm ahs resistance to the cold, those attacks would definitely throw her off her game and potentially deal damage to her. Storm is also very much a glass cannon. She can deal out far more damage than she can take, so if Esdeath gets a chance to strike, or use her time-stop with Storm close, it might just be over. I don't think Storm would have an easy time keeping it at a distance, even with her faster speed

5 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Yeah, Esdeath has much greater durability feats, greater range (created an ice storm that covered an entire continent), and once buried over 400,000 people under ice at once!

I've read up on these abilities (like this one) people are citing.  You aren't giving the context, like it could take days for her to work up to.

These aren't just casual abilities she throws around and, if they were, she wouldn't be just a Tier 6.

She is being given credit for things she cannot easily do in a match against Storm.

2 minutes ago, Fox said:

I've read up on these abilities (like this one) people are citing.  You aren't giving the context, like it could take days for her to work up to.

These aren't just casual abilities she throws around and, if they were, she wouldn't be just a Tier 6.

She is being given credit for things she cannot easily do in a match against Storm.

Oh, sorry I also just looked this up and yeah, it did happen under more complex circumstances then I initially thought. I admit I don’t have the best knowledge about Akame Ga Kill, I’ll do a better job of looking up it’s characters and facts before posting my arguments. Thanks for keeping me honest Fox.

Esdeath likes to play with her food, and probably wouldn't take Storm serious right away. She enjoys a good fight but rarely finds anyone worth her time, this could be her downfall if Storm goes for the Victory as fast as she can, that said if Esdeath feels for a moment she'll lose the fight she isn't afraid to fight dirty.

I think this fight comes down to if Storm can keep her distance and if she can keep her full attention on Esdeath while the guards are angry. Esdeath wouldn't care about the guards at all and would immediately kill any that get in her way.

That being said, I think Esdeath would be able to close the gap, and though she would rely on freezing time, she will used it if pressed like she did against Akame. In the end I believe Storm dies be the Sword and not an elemental strike. 

Also, here is something from Death Battle that has information on Esdeath.

See 5:15 to 10:45. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fox said:

The time-stop ability she doesn't have to take days to work up to as far as I know. She uses it pretty much on a whim whenever she's about to lose. It's not spammable by any means, she only gets one use of it during a fight because it drains so much energy, but as far as I've seen it is something she can just drop. The only attack I know of that she built up for for days was summoning her army. It's possible that the storm that spanned a continent was one of them too, but even if it took her a few days to build up to it, she can still control vast amounts of ice and storm at once.

2 hours ago, IKA said:

Esdeath likes to play with her food, and probably wouldn't take Storm serious right away. She enjoys a good fight but rarely finds anyone worth her time, this could be her downfall if Storm goes for the Victory as fast as she can, that said if Esdeath feels for a moment she'll lose the fight she isn't afraid to fight dirty.

I think this fight comes down to if Storm can keep her distance and if she can keep her full attention on Esdeath while the guards are angry. Esdeath wouldn't care about the guards at all and would immediately kill any that get in her way.

That being said, I think Esdeath would be able to close the gap, and though she would rely on freezing time, she will used it if pressed like she did against Akame. In the end I believe Storm dies be the Sword and not an elemental strike. 

Storm would know who the Asgardians are, and is a very charismatic figure. She could probably convince them that she is on their side, especially with Esdeath killing them without mercy, so she wouldn't have to worry about them. The problem with the time stop is that it has a very short duration, and Storm can fly much faster than Esdeath, and given the fact that Esdeath fights with a sword, she wouldn't let her in close. The pillars of ice she can spam are much slower than Storm's atacks and Storm herself, so she would likely be relatively safe from them as long as she kept moving. 

I'm starting to lean towards Storm I think. Esdeath has that 1 win con, but she always pulls it out very late, and the difference in speed means she would be hard-pressed to use it to anywhere near its full effectiveness against Storm. Storm, meanwhile, has immunity to the cold, is much faster than both Esdeath and her attacks, and is no stranger to fighting from a long distance. Esdeath's 1 win con is a pretty reliable one, but she wouldn't use it until she was certain she couldn't win without it, and by then it might just be too late