Mr. Incredible: 0

Rumble 20544 General Kregg vs. Stripe vs. Brigade
MATCH SCORE
General Kregg: 2
Stripe: 0
Brigade: 1

Tournament - Steve Trevor vs. Peggy Carter

Mercenaryblade

Steve Trevor trudged toward the pub, the war had been over for less than a month now, all around servicemen were in high spirits, but anxious to return to their homes and families, to start new lives without the shadow of the Axis powers looming over them. Despite the festive feeling in the waning light of the evening, there was an underlying feeling of uncertainty and tension. The Soviets and the West were already eyeing each other now that they no longer shared a common enemy, and a power unlike any other had been set loose upon the world. The power of the Atom.

“Cripes,” Trevor grumbled.

He wished that it had never been discovered, and not just for the reasons one might expect. No his gripes were more personal. The wound was still fresh.

“Angel, please. I don’t know where this is coming from.” his voice said.

He could see her in all her glory, the Amazon princess, his angel. The warrior. She was the picture of perfection, like a statue of Athena. Dark hair, piercing blue eyes, bronzed skin, and a figure to die for.

She was beautiful even when her face showed such disappointment it crushed the soul.

“Men. Thousands of years and you’re still playing with powers you shouldn’t. Just like Prometheus giving you fire, you cannot help yourselves…”

“Diana, please… If the bombs hadn’t been made the war could still…”

He was cut off by her, “The next wars will have no survivors if you keep meddling with such forces! The very Earth will be poisoned. It’s far too late to close the Pandora’s box you’ve opened.”

Steve didn’t have a reply, deep down he knew she had a point, it was naively optimistic to hope that no one else would try to develop atomic weapons. Odds were the Russians were already working on making their own.

Diana, known to everyone else as Wonder Woman sighed, her face sad.

“I’m returning to Themyscira.”

“How long?” Steve asked his brow furrowed.

“Goodbye, Steve. I wish it did not have to be this way.”

He’s pleaded with her, but her mind was made up. Steve couldn’t really blame her, but the pain was still there.

He needed a drink.

“Hey good looking, you need a friend?” The slurred voice broke through Peggy’s thoughts, she turned to find a drunken American soldier.

“I’m quite alright on my own, thank you.” Agent carter said drily.

“Heeeeey, don’t be like that…”

The soldier suddenly tipped over; he made a goofy expression before passing out on the floor. It had taken just a bit of pressure to the calf to tip him over, already his friends were dragging him off the floor to somewhere safer to sleep it off.

Peggy turned back to her thoughts, why had she come here? If she wasn’t miserable in public, she was miserable in private. Just what was the difference? The war was over, yet that hadn’t brought her the happiness she expected.

Carter wasn’t sure how to feel anymore, she felt selfish wallowing in misery, she was not the only one in the war that had lost someone close. Yet, the thought didn’t bring her comfort. Some nights she swore she still saw him in the corner of her eye, a face in the crowd. Each time she felt a faint traitorous twinge of hope before it was quickly extinguished.

Get it together Carter. You need to move on, what would the rest of the SSR think? You’d prove them right that women are too emotional.

The thought brought her enough anger to shake herself from her misery. But then the door opened and all her hard work went up in smoke.

The man almost looked like her on Steve at first glance, but the hair was a darker shade of blonde, and while well built he was hardly Captain America. She cursed herself, and then sighed when he chose to sit next to her.

Readying herself for the pickup lines she put on her best scowl. But to her surprise the man ignored her as he ordered a drink. His eyes seemed vacant, a look that was all too common among the men who had fought the war. He looked just as sullen as she did.

Peggy turned her eyes away just as he glanced up.

“Sorry,” Carter apologized. “For a moment you looked like someone I knew.”

“It’s alright.” Trevor replied. “Good, guy?”

“The best,” Carter replied.

Steve nodded, “Sorry for your loss.”

There was an awkward pause as Peggy muttered a thanks.

“How’d he buy it? If you don’t mind me asking.”

“Plane went down.”

Trevor raised his glass, “Damn, hate to hear about a fellow flyboy getting his wings clipped. For him.”

“He wasn’t exactly… never mind.” Peggy sighed.

They clinked glasses

Trevor chuckled as he actually began to look at Peggy and take in her features. He noted the uniform, at first he thought she was a WAAF, or WAC, but then he saw the SSR pin. A fellow intel officer, albeit a different branch of service from his own OSS.

“Where are my manners. I’m Steve, Steve Trevor.”

Peggy froze at the name, it was like a cruel prank being played on her. She didn’t reply or take his offered hand.

“Miss,” Trevor prodded when it clicked. “Oh, your guy’s name was Steve too. Sorry.”

Peggy nodded, “Yes, but that should not excuse rudeness. I’m Peggy, Peggy Carter.”

Steve frowned the name ringing a bell, his training kicked in and he put together the pieces. SSR, Steve, Carter. This was Captain America’s squeeze herself.

“I understand. All of it. We got the briefings over at the OSS. I’m sounding like a broken record, but I truly am sorry.”

Peggy sighed as she stood up, “Everyone’s sorry. Not bringing him back.”

“I get it,” Trevor replied. “Nothing’s bringing my Angel back either, I don’t know if its better or worse that she’s still alive.”

But Peggy had had enough of the conversation as she walked out. Steve didn’t try and stop her and turned back to his drink.  

Neither thought anymore of the encounter until they were roused from their beds and found themselves in a briefing room with American, and British paratroopers. The two recognized one another but did not say anything.

An officer began the briefing.

“I know the wars over officially, but we’ve got a problem still.”

The projector showed an image of German soldiers dressed in SS uniforms around a fortress.

“This band of holdouts has a fortress full of nasty toys, to include a new jet fighter/bomber, and biological bombs. From what we’ve seen they’re preparing for a last ditch, screw you mission. That can’t happen. To make matters worse, the Red army is closing in on their location. We don’t want their attack to go off, and we don’t want the Russians getting their hands on that fortress of death. So we’re getting to them first.”

He pointed at Steve, “Captain Trevor, you’re stealing that jet. You’re a pilot as well as a spy. Agent, Carter, you’re going in to document and catalogue those secret weapons. I know you’ve had experience with Hydra, but these guys might be just as diabolical. The rest of you grunts bring the firepower, keep these two alive.”

Their were mutters as the strike force filed out.

“Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. Goes against everything I believe in as a pilot.” Trevor said to Carter.

She smiled halfheartedly.

Steve sighed as he armed himself with a Trench Shotgun. “Well you’re not my Angel, but I guess you got my back?”

“Don’t get used to it.” Carter huffed as she grabbed a Sten gun.

“Fine,” Steve replied as he checked his backup weapons, a M1911, and a knife. “But if we survive… let’s try just having a drink.”

“Really?” Carter huffed checking her Walther PPK. “Unbelievable.”

The agent stormed out.

Steve shook his head, what was he doing anyway? Maybe he just wanted to see Carter smile, maybe he just wanted to smile. It was nuts. Maybe they’d just be friends, but somehow he felt they needed each other, and not just because they were going into an off the books mission against holdouts.

“Here goes nothing,” Trevor sighed as he hustled onto the waiting C-47.   

Vote for Steve if you want them to get together.

Vote Carter if you think they shouldn't.

My entry to the valentines contest! 

Can two broken hearts find love with one another again? 

Even if they're in dangerous lines of work? 

Let me know!

Vote for Steve if you want them to get together.

Vote Carter if you think they shouldn't.

This is a fun read between two characters with similar backstories and lost loves.  One could easily see them meeting up, or even hooking up.

Of course, the relationship would be haunted by the ghosts of both their Superhero lost loves - because Trevor is no Captain America and Carter is no Wonder Woman.  And yet, both are heroes in their own way.  It could make sense.

Weighing in at just 1,391 words, there is some story here that I feel was left on the table which could have been served to the reader.  Perhaps more conversation. Perhaps a scenario where they try getting together. 

They are two characters hurting over very similar losses and there is a lot of human pathos and commiseration which could have been pulled out of this scenario, IMO. If they let their guard down enough to engage in it.  I would have liked to have seen that exploration of the feels.

Still, very entertaining and two characters that go great together.  Thanks for the read!

31 minutes ago, Fox said:

This is a fun read between two characters with similar backstories and lost loves.  One could easily see them meeting up, or even hooking up.

Of course, the relationship would be haunted by the ghosts of both their Superhero lost loves - because Trevor is no Captain America and Carter is no Wonder Woman.  And yet, both are heroes in their own way.  It could make sense.

Weighing in at just 1,391 words, there is some story here that I feel was left on the table which could have been served to the reader.  Perhaps more conversation. Perhaps a scenario where they try getting together. 

They are two characters hurting over very similar losses and there is a lot of human pathos and commiseration which could have been pulled out of this scenario, IMO. If they let their guard down enough to engage in it.  I would have liked to have seen that exploration of the feels.

Still, very entertaining and two characters that go great together.  Thanks for the read!

I had plans to have them explore more feelings while out on the mission, but I think I would have gone over the 2,000 words going overboard on details and such. But glad you like what you read.

A good angle for this month's tournament. I enjoyed it.

They absolutely should go for it if they feel the chemistry. There is no point in waiting for Peggy for someone who she believes to be dead. As for Steve, I understand that sometimes the heart wants what it wants, but he should at least give it a try with someone he actually has a chance to grow old with.

They have similar life experiences, values, there is definitely potential there.

This one was great and I really like the match up!

I agree with Johnny on this one. I mean Fox pointed out that Steve is no Capt and Peggy is no Wonder Woman, but they have similar experiences with war and lost loves. There definitely could be something there that should be explored 

20 hours ago, JohnnyChany said:

A good angle for this month's tournament. I enjoyed it.

They absolutely should go for it if they feel the chemistry. There is no point in waiting for Peggy for someone who she believes to be dead. As for Steve, I understand that sometimes the heart wants what it wants, but he should at least give it a try with someone he actually has a chance to grow old with.

They have similar life experiences, values, there is definitely potential there.

I had the same thoughts, they are a lot alike in many ways. Glad you enjoyed it!

6 hours ago, Boratz said:

This one was great and I really like the match up!

I agree with Johnny on this one. I mean Fox pointed out that Steve is no Capt and Peggy is no Wonder Woman, but they have similar experiences with war and lost loves. There definitely could be something there that should be explored 

Thanks a bunch Boratz! 

This ship makes total sense to me. They share a lot of similarities that make them interesting partners. Though, I would have liked to see more of them as a couple, or even a fling. And Wonder Woman's exit from Steve's life was a bit hard to believe for me. (Then again that may be because I just watched WW84). The voting question is unique though, so I like that.

While I see them hooking up one or two times, they don't become a couple. They work together on missions but eventually move on to other ppl.

18 hours ago, SSJRuss said:

This ship makes total sense to me. They share a lot of similarities that make them interesting partners. Though, I would have liked to see more of them as a couple, or even a fling. And Wonder Woman's exit from Steve's life was a bit hard to believe for me. (Then again that may be because I just watched WW84). The voting question is unique though, so I like that.

While I see them hooking up one or two times, they don't become a couple. They work together on missions but eventually move on to other ppl.

On WW leaving Trevor here, it was something of an idea just to make it work for an AU. I think in some comics she expressed disgust for nuclear weapons, still better than the Flashpoint WW who straight up killed him :D 

Thanks for the read and comment, glad you liked it.

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
4.00 - patrickthekid
4.60 - Boratz
4.00 - Lordofice
3.50 - SSJRuss
4.30 - Fox

FPA Calculation:
5 Total Votes cast
20.40 Total Combined Score
20.40 / 5 = 4.08 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE