Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Rumble 20539 Whitespikes vs. The Xenomorphs
MATCH SCORE
Whitespikes: 0
The Xenomorphs: 3

Cameron Poe vs. Castor Troy
MATCH SCORE
Cameron Poe: 3
Castor Troy: 0

Raphael (Mirage) vs. Ken Masters
MATCH SCORE
Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

5:7 - Weird Al Yankovic vs. The Gorillaz

UMPIRE

SEASON 5, ROUND 7

Weird Al Yankovic

Slot: The Team's Entertainer
Season Wins: 3
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Weird Al Yankovic at Wikipedia
Official Site: Scotti Brothers Records

The Gorillaz

Slot: The Team's Entertainer
Season Wins: 3
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about The Gorillaz at Wikipedia
Official Site: Universal Music Group

Battle Terrain
Entertainer: Lounge Act

I think this is where Weird Al's luck runs out. This is a completely different style and audience than he usually plays to, and while again it's not exactly what the Gorillaz are experienced in either, their vast range of styles mean that some of their songs would probably still play pretty well here.

13 minutes ago, Peypeypeypey said:

I think this is where Weird Al's luck runs out. This is a completely different style and audience than he usually plays to, and while again it's not exactly what the Gorillaz are experienced in either, their vast range of styles mean that some of their songs would probably still play pretty well here.

I disagree, Weird can adapt and do a set that is easily going to entertain people at a cocktail party. He’s got plenty of Yacht Roxk-esque parodies that will play well at this kind of venue. Plus, demographically speaking, I think Holiday Inn patrons are more likely to jam to Weird Al than Gorillaz, given age and that they’ll be able to sing along with Weird Al to some extent. I think he’ll connect with the audience more effectively at the Holiday Inn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magnamax said:

I disagree, Weird can adapt and do a set that is easily going to entertain people at a cocktail party. He’s got plenty of Yacht Roxk-esque parodies that will play well at this kind of venue. Plus, demographically speaking, I think Holiday Inn patrons are more likely to jam to Weird Al than Gorillaz, given age and that they’ll be able to sing along with Weird Al to some extent. I think he’ll connect with the audience more effectively at the Holiday Inn.

Unfortunately for Unusual Alfred, this prompt really goes against him. If the question is "who can best emulate the style of a cocktail lounge act, it's Gorillaz 100%. Their current style is already closer, they have a wide variety of instruments and they have more people to play the songs typical in a cocktail lounge. If the prompt is simply that the venue is a cocktail lounge, I still disagree that Gorillaz lose here. They are far more popular than Bizarre Albert, they cover a wider variety of genres, and more importantly, parody songs are relatively niche and aren't a huge market that everyone is going to like. Some people may like singing along, but other people will definitely be annoyed and leave. Polka is another genre that is very divisive. Some people will love it, some people will leave. Gorillaz win this with variety, consistency, proven marketability to a vast array of audiences, and a closer style to that typical of the venue. Love you Al, but the buck stops here

This is a tough one.  But, I like Weird Al here.

I think interaction with the audience is key in this one.  Some humor, some sing-a-longs and some familiar tunes to the audience.  Lounge acts typically cover popular songs, they don't play original material.  It's what I generally expect from live entertainment at Irish Pubs as well.  Familiar folk ballads, sing-a-longs, jokes and a lot of beer.

Weird Al would be brilliant in an Irish Pub, in my estimation.

9 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

Unfortunately for Unusual Alfred, this prompt really goes against him. If the question is "who can best emulate the style of a cocktail lounge act, it's Gorillaz 100%. Their current style is already closer, they have a wide variety of instruments and they have more people to play the songs typical in a cocktail lounge. If the prompt is simply that the venue is a cocktail lounge, I still disagree that Gorillaz lose here. They are far more popular than Bizarre Albert, they cover a wider variety of genres, and more importantly, parody songs are relatively niche and aren't a huge market that everyone is going to like. Some people may like singing along, but other people will definitely be annoyed and leave. Polka is another genre that is very divisive. Some people will love it, some people will leave. Gorillaz win this with variety, consistency, proven marketability to a vast array of audiences, and a closer style to that typical of the venue. Love you Al, but the buck stops here

I'm with you, Pey. This seems like their wheelhouse. And if I could add anything you said, it would be that Murdoc would totally find a way to rig this thing and get his team over. He's likely got a few black market dealings he can do on the side with some of these lushes at the Holiday Inn.

On 11/18/2020 at 3:03 PM, Peypeypeypey said:

You know who frequents a holiday inn? Dads on vacation, grandparents who are traveling, little kids using a pool area. That clientele is not picking Gorillaz over Weird Al. He’s already got lounge parody songs ready to go, and he’s smart enough not to just go full polka right away. “Honey, Weird Al is playing downstairs,” is what the socks and sandals middle aged balding dads will yell, desperate for a win in a vacation slowly sinking into disaster.

lushes are also heavy drinkers right? Heavy drinkers are going to LOVE Weird Al, drunkenly chanting along. Every line of My Bologna is going to be the funniest thing they’ve ever heard. Trust me, Gorillaz are a great act, but they ain’t on Weird Al’s “drunken holiday inn patrons” level. Plus, Weird Al is filling in the time with comedy sketches, dancing and more. It’s variety hour at the holiday inn and those drunks are chanting one name: Less Than Normal Albert. Write it down in permanent marker and bet on it, he’s got this.

18 minutes ago, Magnamax said:

You know who frequents a holiday inn? Dads on vacation, grandparents who are traveling, little kids using a pool area. That clientele is not picking Gorillaz over Weird Al. He’s already got lounge parody songs ready to go, and he’s smart enough not to just go full polka right away. “Honey, Weird Al is playing downstairs,” is what the socks and sandals middle aged balding dads will yell, desperate for a win in a vacation slowly sinking into disaster.

lushes are also heavy drinkers right? Heavy drinkers are going to LOVE Weird Al, drunkenly chanting along. Every line of My Bologna is going to be the funniest thing they’ve ever heard. Trust me, Gorillaz are a great act, but they ain’t on Weird Al’s “drunken holiday inn patrons” level. Plus, Weird Al is filling in the time with comedy sketches, dancing and more. It’s variety hour at the holiday inn and those drunks are chanting one name: Less Than Normal Albert. Write it down in permanent marker and bet on it, he’s got this.

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016Loop Trump GIF

11 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

I'm going to be honest, I don't think most dads know the lyrics of Weird Al by heart. Sorry to break it to you. He might be a bit niche in that regard.

To follow up with this, I think the idea that Atypical Alfredo is the act that a random dad is going to lose his mind over is ridiculous. Could he play to the room well? No doubt. But so could the Gorillaz, a far more popular and mainstream band than Weird Al. Again, Parody and comedy songs are incredibly niche genres that a lot of people straight up don't like, and the idea that Gorillaz aren't going to be just as appealing is silly. Feel Good Inc is far more popular than anything Weird Al has ever done. Gorillaz win this EZPZ

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

I'm going to be honest, I don't think most dads know the lyrics of Weird Al by heart. Sorry to break it to you. He might be a bit niche in that regard.

1 hour ago, Peypeypeypey said:

To follow up with this, I think the idea that Atypical Alfredo is the act that a random dad is going to lose his mind over is ridiculous. Could he play to the room well? No doubt. But so could the Gorillaz, a far more popular and mainstream band than Weird Al. Again, Parody and comedy songs are incredibly niche genres that a lot of people straight up don't like, and the idea that Gorillaz aren't going to be just as appealing is silly. Feel Good Inc is far more popular than anything Weird Al has ever done. Gorillaz win this EZPZ

My point is that Weird Al has a bunch a familiar-sounding stuff that drunk people are going to enjoy. I think Feel Good Inc. is probably a more popular song, but it’s not just about popularity, it’s about what are people looking to pair with a single night’s worth of watered down cocktails and lukewarm coors. Max, they know one Gorillaz song. At the very least they’ll be humming along to a night of fun covers.

2 hours ago, Magnamax said:

My point is that Weird Al has a bunch a familiar-sounding stuff that drunk people are going to enjoy. I think Feel Good Inc. is probably a more popular song, but it’s not just about popularity, it’s about what are people looking to pair with a single night’s worth of watered down cocktails and lukewarm coors. Max, they know one Gorillaz song. At the very least they’ll be humming along to a night of fun covers.

Again, I disagree. There are some people who would be into it, and some people who hate the genre. Comedy music is a niche for a reason. It's polarizing. Weird Al would give a few people a great night and annoy a few others. Gorillaz would give everyone a good show