Agent L: 4

Rumble 20577 Baraka vs. Kollector
MATCH SCORE
Baraka: 3
Kollector: 2

Video Games

Guest Magnus

Guest Shockwave

That's because a next-gen Blu-Ray player doesn't run on different engines to play that digital download copy. If I had bought Mass Effect with a digital copy attatched to it, do I honestly expect it to be downloaded on Xbox 4 billion or whatever? You'd lose money that way, which would cut down the game market (since people would just be redownloading their old games from digital copy). Selling more units is what makes money, what keeps companies floating.

Something got lost in translation here. I was referring to NEW OR RERELEASED GAMES! I already referenced that it would cost too much to produce, as you affirmed on your statement there.

EDIT: And complaining about companies hurting the game market and then mentioning Gamestop is hilarious. Gamestop hurts developers with their resale system, every game they get back and then to someone else is entirely profit for them, none of that money goes into the hands of the people who made those games.

And yet, they sell news games too. What about Best Buy's resale program? Are you going to say they don't get a cut of the change from them?

I don't know how rentals work, presumably they get a cut of the money for each rental,but I dunno.

Either way, it won't stop me from getting the next Xbox. I rarely buy used, in the first place. And I never rent. This is mainly because I live in the middle of nowhere, but I digress. I didn't buy used that much, when we did live in a bigger city. I don't like the hassle of having to return something, I saved a few bucks on, if it doesn't work. When I buy new, I rarely have to return them.

Something got lost in translation here. I was referring to NEW OR RERELEASED GAMES! I already referenced that it would cost too much to produce, as you affirmed on your statement there.

Why would new games come with digital download copies? The only reason that works with Blu-Rays is because film companies usually have deals with streaming movie services, something that wouldn't work with video games because, if you have access to a console, then bring the damn hard copy with you.

And yet, they sell news games too. What about Best Buy's resale program? Are you going to say they don't get a cut of the change from them?

They probably don't eithe, but Best Buy is less known for video games as opposed to GameStop, so GameStop is a bigger money loss than Best Buy would be.

Guest Kate Awesome Is Awesome

Well Gamestop is the biggest name because the majority of their business is based on used games.

Anyway, BIOSHOCK INFINITE!

Guest ViperKing

PlayStation 3's backward compatibility is terrible. PlayStation 3's backward compatibility doesn't work on the majority of the games and only a certain amount of PlayStation 2 games can be played.

I'm getting a friend help me build my first true gaming pc, i'm pretty stoked, i'm also getting a free copy of crysis 3 and bioshock infinite with my vid card, so now i'm SUPER stoked

Guest Jason Redfield

I have a question regarding Far Cry 3. It just occurred to me as I was playing the other day. Is it ever explained why no one outside the island cares about:

1.) Small army of heavily-armed pirates pillaging the place.

2.) Several American citizens being taken hostage by said pirates?

I mean presumably someone would have taken notice that a large, heavily-armed, well-organized contingent of pirates, mercs, and other unsavory sorts had taken up residence there. It's also implied that they attack ships passing through with some regularity. How have they not gotten the Somalia treatment based on that alone?

Then there's the fact that they've kidnapped multiple American citizens. I mean presumably one of them told their family/friends/etc. where they were going before the vacation. Why does no attempt at rescue ever materialize?

Not meaning to rant or anything. I understand that it would ruin the game's plot for a bunch of Navy SEALs to fast-rope in and shoot Vaas in the face before flying into the sunset with the protagonists. I was just curious if there's any explanation ever given throughout the game that I'm unaware of.

Also, how do the pirates' radios work despite the jammers?

Guest Jason Redfield

You overthink this shit.

I really do.

I don't think there's been a single game/movie/whatever that I've just been able to sit back and take at face value. Always gotta make shit complicated.

Guest Darxeth

Especially when it comes to military competence.

I'm right with ya when I see how incompetent the media portrays the military. I can't stand it.

Eh. if the military wasn't incompetent it'd leave nothing with the protagonist to do, it's just the nature of storytelling

the problem is when people actually think things in movies, tv shows and video games are similar to how things unfold IRL

Guest Jason Redfield

Of course. Obviously the military/police/what have you can't steal the thunder of the protagonists. The only time I really take an issue with it is when it seems like the fiction goes out of its way to portray them incompetently rather than what's necessary for the plot. Then again, Red Shirts in general are among my least favorite tropes. Likewise, a game/movie wins big points with me when it has realistic and portrayal of the military/police when it doesn't really have to. Just one of those things I guess.

Guest Shockwave

Of course the media has to portray them badly, they need to make their heroes look good.

I try not to play games like that mainly due to my own beliefs about the military and connections to them (also find gun-based games not as fun as I probably should).

That being said.....is it worth buying Borderlands 2? I know from my last statement that doesn't make sense but I have a legit reason for it....

It reminds me of Trigun.

Anyone else play Alpha Protocol? It's an awesome game imo. It was glitchy when it first came out, so it got mediocre reviews, but there're patches for the PC version.

I loved that game. Mostly because it played a lot like Mass Effect.
  • Like 1

Guest force_echo

The Citadel DLC for Mass Effect 3 is the best add-on content I've ever played. No, that's not an exaggeration.

Guest Jason Redfield

The Citadel DLC for Mass Effect 3 is the best add-on content I've ever played. No, that's not an exaggeration.

I can't bring myself to touch any of the non-free DLCs for Mass Effect 3. The ending of the game ruined any chance at replay value for me, unfortunately.

Guest Jason Redfield

I don't understand that at all, but ok. That sucks for you.

What do you mean? I just don't see the point of it. I know the way the game ends and it was terrible. Normally I'd replay a Bioware title, but knowing what's in store completely ruins the entire prospect of replaying it, let alone spending money on DLC.

Guest bigballerju

The whole reason why they added the last DLCs was because of the massive negative response to the ending of Mass Effect 3. I could see people not wanting to touch Mass Effect again after that ending or don't care to play the DLCs.