MATCH SCORE
Waldstein: 0
Metera: 1
Mutagen Man: 2

Rumble 20587 Nathan Drake vs. Vastatosaurus Rex
MATCH SCORE
Nathan Drake: 1
Vastatosaurus Rex: 3

Night Shift Chapter 13 The Finale! Match 18043 Dansen Macabre and Durga (Goddess) vs. Nekra and Kali

broadwaybeyonder

Chapter 13: Darkness Falls Across the Land

As Jack regained consciousness, he could feel the restraints on his wrists and ankles.  He was being held upright in the center of a ring of obsidian.  “Jack!”  The voice pierced through Jack’s ears as he struggled to focus.  He looked across from him and saw Moth attached in a similar structure.  “Moth!  Are you okay?”  Moth gave a side eye look at her restraints.  “Oh, just great.  Tied up to an alter about to be sacrificed.  How’s your evening been so far?”  Jack looked around the chamber and saw the other members of Night Shift, each trapped in their own ring.  A metallic door slid open and Nekra and her acolytes walked in.  Bringing up the rear was Brother Ernest, carrying a chain wrapped around Hannibal King’s wrists.  He grinned up at the trapped Night Shift.  “Bonsoir, brothers and sisters.  So sorry that your friend, what was it you called him?  Hangman?  So sorry he won’t be joining us.  I’m sure you are saddened by his passing.” 

“Actually he was kind of a prick!” Digger shouted.  Nekra held up a hand to stop Ernest from replying.  She shook her head as she walked around the circle of rings before stopping at Shroud’s.  “My fellow children of Kali, the ultimate transcendence is upon us!  Our mother shall finally walk upon the mortal plane, and wreak her vengeance on the world!  All praise Kali!” 

“All praise Kali!” the acolytes chanted.  Shroud’s face remained expressionless.  Nekra reached out to touch his face.  “And as it is written, Kali’s return must come with a sacrifice.  She has blessed her children with powers to sow fear and despair among her enemies.  And as they master her gifts, they grow in power.  And now, these lives will be offered back to Kali, and she shall use their power to complete salvation!” 

“You’re out of your mind!”  Nekra turned to glare at Hannibal who looked defiantly at her.  Ernest yanked the chain and sent Hannibal sprawling to the ground.  Ushas and Shaya knelt over him.  “This one has much fire in him, sister,” Ushas hissed.  “Can we play with him, sister?” Shaya said, letting the edge of her morning star touch his throat.  “Sister Shaya!  Sister Ushas!  Stand down!”  Nekra’s features grew animalistic for a moment when she shouted, before she controlled herself and walked to Hannibal.  “This human, this supposed warrior of justice, will be one of the first victims of Kali’s wrath.  He shall bear witness to the end of all things.”  Hannibal’s eyes burned with hatred as stared at Nekra.  “I swear, if you people hurt Terri I’m gonna kill you!  I don’t care if you’re bringing Kali or the Tooth Fairy!” 

Nekra chuckled.  “Brave words, from a foolish man.  But that’s all you have.  Words and breath to speak them.  And soon you shall have neither.  Brother MODOK!  Brother Johnathan!”  Hannibal was dragged out of the circle to make room for the creature in the chair and Ohn.  “Is everything prepared, brothers?” 

“The generators are uplinked to my chair.  I am ready to increase Dr. Ohn’s powers.”  Ohn looked nervous at Nekra.  “Um, this isn’t going to hurt is it?”  Nekra ignored Ohn and raised her hands to the ceiling.  “Then let the ultimate transcendence begin!  All praise Kali!”  The acolytes and thuggee gathered around the circle and echoed the chant.  “All praise Kali!  All praise Kali!  All praise Kali!”  MODOK fired a beam of energy into Ohn’s chest.  He screamed in pain, falling to his knees.  “Oh, Kali!  We have already given you the lives of those arrogant scientists!  Let our worship bring you back to us!  All praise Kali!” 

Wyndham, Tombstone, and Bushwacker stood on the observation deck, looking over the ritual.  “Do you really believe this crap?” Tombstone asked Wyndham.  Wyndham remained stone-faced watching Ohn.  “I am a scientist, Mr. Lincoln.  I believe in continuing an experiment to it’s conclusion.  If this Kali is as powerful as these people claim, it would be better for all of us to be seen as useful to her cause.”  Bushwacker clutched at his gun arm.  “Or be ready for a hell of a fight.” 

Ohn’s head snapped back as he screamed at the ceiling.  Above the circle, a large portal began to open.  Jack could see pinpoints of stars amid the blackness, and the sound of a woman’s wail.  “Accept our sacrifice, great Kali!” Nekra raved.  “Let the power you entrusted to us return to you again!” 

Shafts of black lightning shot from the portal and struck the entrapped Night Shift.  The sounds of their agony filled the lab, as energy began flowing from their bodies into the rift.  “Brother Max!” Dansen cried out.  Shroud gritted his teeth to try to resist the pain.  “Dansen!  Hold on!  You have to use the spellaaaaaaaaaaaargh!” 

But then more lightning bolts emerged and struck the acolytes.  Bushwacker looked worried as the cultists started to fall to ground.  “What the hell is this?  I thought these nuts were on Kali’s side!”  Ushas and Shaya crawled across the floor and looked pleadingly up at Nekra.  “Please, sister!” Shaya begged through the pain.  “We are loyal to Kali!  We are loyaaargh!”  Nekra smirked at the two women.  “Fools!  I am Kali’s high priestess!  I am the one who will bring about her transcendence!  It has been promised to me!  The power of the goddess will be mine!  And mine alone!” 

The energy continued to rise into the darkness.  With a mighty roar Misfit pulled against his restraints.  The metal began to buckle before snapping.  Misfit fell out of the ring, but still was being struck by the pulses.  He gritted his teeth and grabbed hold of the broken ring and lifted it over his head.  “You want power?  Have some of this!”  He hurled the ring at Nekra, only for a new pulse to shoot from the rift and envelope her.  The wreckage rebounded off the light and struck Jack and Dansen’s ring.  The two rings shattered and Jack and Dansen fell limp.  With Ernest incapacitated by Kali’s hunger, Hannibal pulled his chains from the acolyte’s grip and ran to them.  Nekra laughed maniacally as the dark energy flowed into her.  “She’s here!  She’s here!  Come to me, Bringer of Doomsday!  Let me be your vessel, and bring forth the age of darkness!” 

Out of Ohn’s portal, a shadow began to emerge.  It rolled out like mist and filled the lab.  Jack crawled to Dansen’s side, eyes wide at the scene.  “What’s happening to her?” 

“This is the ultimate transcendence,” Dansen said grimly.  “Kali is using us to pull herself closer to our plane of existence.  And she’ll use Nekra to sustain herself here.”  A bone chilling wail came from the portal.  Everyone gazed in terror as a figure began to emerge through the darkness.  It was in the form of a blue skinned woman with wild hair and a lolling tongue.  She was draped in a necklace of skulls, and she held a sword in each of her four arms.  The lower half of her body was obscured in smoke, and she hovered above Nekra.  Black energy shimmered around Nekra’s body as she mirrored Kali raising her arms to the sky in victory.  At last!” Nekra and Kali said in unison.  “No longer shall I be kept from my vengeance!  Gods and man shall die by my hands!  It is the will of Kali!” 

“We got to get out of here,” said Hannibal to Dansen.  “There’s no way we can fight that… thing!” 

“There’s only one way,” Dansen said, as she fought to her feet.  Nekra/Kali looked at Dansen in disgust.  “Ah, the traitor.  Kali gave you your blessing, insect!  Bow down and accept your fate!”  Dansen stood at the ready.  “You gave me power, abomination.  And taught me to master it.  But your host should know that I took those manuscripts foretelling your return.  I have prepared for this day.”  Nekra/Kali laughed mockingly.  “Your preparation is meaningless, woman!  No mortal or god can stand against Kali!” 

“Perhaps,” Dansen said, raising her arms.  “But a goddess can!”  Dansen went into a series of spins and leaps.  Jack strained to Shroud’s ring and struggled to undo the restraints.  “What is she doing?”  Hannibal lifted up the restraint to allow Shroud to drop free.  “The manuscripts that Dansen stole,” Shroud said shakily.  “They told that the cult would free Kali by opening a portal to the celestial plane.  If the cult can use the portal to summon a goddess, so can we.”  Jack and Hannibal watched as Dansen continued weaving the spell.  “Another goddess?” aske Hannibal.  “Who?”  Shroud’s sightless gaze fell on Dansen.  “The one goddess that can defeat Kali.” 

Nekra/Kali pointed a commanding finger at Dansen.  “Stop this at once!  Obey the will of Kali or die!  Obey!”  Dansen gave a last look at Nekra/Kali.  Then gave a cry of exertion as she thrusted her right hand into the air to complete the spell. 

A blinding light shot down from the rift.  Nekra/Kali howled in pain and shielded their eyes.  Hannibal and Jack stumbled to Tatterdemalion’s ring and undid the restraints.  When the light faded, Dansen Macabre was standing tall.  And hovering above her, shrouded in light, was another figure.  She was draped in silks and each of her 10 arms brandished a weapon.  Nekra/Kali hissed at the interloper.  “Durga,” Tatterdemalion breathed.  “Just like in the scroll!  The other form of Parvati!  The warrior goddess!”  Durga pointed a trident at Nekra/Kali, and Dansen raised her arm in unison.  “Kali!  Shiva has heard the call of these mortals!  Return to the plane of your imprisonment, or face the judgement of the heavens!” 

Nekra/Kali roared and raised their swords high and Dansen/Durga rushed to meet them.  Digger looked on in amazement.  “Whoa.  I wonder where they buy sweaters that have enough arms for these two?” 

OK:

Nekra and Dansen are bound to Kali and Durga respectively.   They have their powers, combined the powers of the goddesses. 

Can the mad plot of the cult of Kali be stopped? 

Stay Tuned and Find Out! 

Game On!  

Learn More About
Durga (Goddess)
Read more about Durga (Goddess) at Wikipedia
Official Site: Public Domain Links: Wikipedia Godchecker.org Stories From Hindu Mythology

Dansen Macabre
Read more about Dansen Macabre at Wikipedia
Official Site: Marvel Links: Wikipedia

Kali
Read more about Kali at Wikipedia
Official Site: Public Domain Links: Wikipedia Sanatan Society Encyclopedia Mythica

Nekra
Read more about Nekra at Wikipedia
Official Site: Marvel Links: Wikipedia

Not big on Hindu theology so I had to look up Durga. Based on the quick overview, she seems like she would be more powerful that Kali being attached the Bhrama. I'll go with her and Dansen.

By the way. Good use of obscure characters. Well done story (seems like the end but I'm okay with more if you got it).

• Like 1

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
4.90 - leroypowell3
4.00 - SSJRuss
5.00 - JohnnyChany
5.00 - patrickthekid

FPA Calculation:
4 Total Votes cast
18.90 Total Combined Score
18.90 / 4 = 4.72 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Durga (Goddess) and Dansen Macabre: 2
Kali and Nekra: 2

• Like 1

AND NOW THE CONCLUSION

Kali’s scimitar struck against Durga’s upraised shield.  Kali’s screams were echoed by Nekra, her arms flailing in unison with Kali’s strikes.  Dansen stood firm, crying out in pain as one of Kali’s blade found it’s mark.  A wound began to grow on one of Durga’s arms, and a matching one appeared on Dansen’s. 

“What the hell is happening to them?!” Hannibal shouted.  “Their spirits have been bonded to the spirits of the goddesses,” explained Shroud.  “Any damage the goddesses sustain will be passed on to them.”  Jack and Tatterdemalion moved around the ring, freeing the rest of the Night Shift.  Misfit looked down on the rest of the cultists, still screaming in agony.  “Why aren’t we like these losers?  We aren’t getting zapped anymore.” 

“Protection by Durga, I assume,” said Shroud.  “But Kali is still draining her followers for strength.”  Suddenly there was a gunshot and a bullet narrowly missed Shroud.  “Get down!” shouted Hannibal.  The Night Shift ducked behind the rings as Bushwacker readied his gun arm to fire again.  “You’re enforcer isn’t the crackshot you said he would be,” Wyndham said sarcastically.  Tombstone glared at him.  “You stay out of this, professor.  You want this experiment to be a success?  You want those freaks down their dead?  Then stay out of the way and let my man work!  Bushwacker!  Take ‘em out!  Now!”  Bushwacker’s arm started spraying bullets into the circle, deflecting harmlessly off the shielded bodies of Nekra and Dansen. 

“All I ask is to kill that guy before that four-armed freak kills us,” Hannibal muttered.  “Focus, detective,” Shroud said calmly.  “Our fate isn’t sealed yet.  Moth, you take King, Digger, and Needle to the upper level to deal with the sniper.  The rest of you will remain with me to deal with that creature in the chair.  It seems to be powering up the acolyte to enable him to sustain the portal.  If we can neutralize him, the portal will collapse and Kali will be absorbed back into it.”  The Night Shift glanced back and forth uncertain.  Shroud sighed.  “I know.  I misled you before, and this will be dangerous.  But none of us is getting out of here alive if we don’t stop Kali here and now.”  Digger twirled his shovel dangerously.  “Well, technically, I’m not even alive, but hey.  Why not?  I’ve got one more terror tale left in me.”  Shroud nodded in approval.  “Very well then.  Night Shift!  Attack!” 

Digger and Misfit charged into the center of the circle.  Digger waved mockingly at the men on the observation deck.  “Hey, fellas!  Would you mind keeping down the noise?  We’re trying to have a goddess duel over here!”  A high impact bullet struck Digger in both shoulders and pushed him back.  Moth and the Brothers Grimm took to the air.  Moth sent tendrils from her outfit to catch Hannnibal, Digger, and Needle and lift them up onto the upper level.  The Brothers followed after Misfit, who was charging toward MODOK and Ohn.  “Okay, you… you.. Big Head!  Let’s see what you got!”  Ohn looked up from his knees at the oncoming enormous freak, his face twisted in pain.  “Please!  Make it stop!  I didn’t want it to hurt like this!  Please!” 

“The unit known as Brother Johnathan will be silent while enemies of the Creator will be dealt with!” MODOK fired a mental bolt that sent Misfit flying back towards the Brothers Grimm.  Percy pulled a handkerchief out of his sleeve that grew to enormous size.  He quickly threw on side of it across to Barton who caught it just in time for the taught fabric to catch Misfit. 

Needle swung his blade at Bushwacker, who knocked aside with his arm.  Digger than cracked his shovel against his head.  Hannibal took aim with his pistol and fired at Tombstone.  The gang leader flinched slightly, but the bullets only did damage to his suit.  He drew closer to Hannibal as he reloaded his gun.  “Not very smart, detective.  Not only did you decide to sign on with these idiots, but you know you can’t kill a man who’s bulletpr…”  Tombstone’s blustering stopped short, as Hannibal’s next bullet went through his open mouth and severed his brain stem.  Hannibal looked on coldly as Tombstone dropped lifeless to the grated floor. 

Wyndham turned and ran for the door.  Needle saw and gave chase only for two Headmen guards in yellow hazmat suits to block his path and open fire.  Needle dropped low as Moth flew overhead.  She sent a tendril of thread to tie the hands of one gunman behind him, leaving the other to be finished off by Needle’s blade.  Wyndham scurried down the hallway past a group of techs.  “We’re shutting down the base!” he snapped.  “Initiate lockdown procedures!  Terminate all projects, starting with Project: Spider!” 

The Brothers Grimm flew on their clouds around MODOK, dodging mental bolts.  Jack crawled across the floor and picked up two discarded pistols.  He offered one to Tick Tock, who shied away from it.  “I’m not much for firearms!” 

“Look in the future!” Jack yelled.  “Does Shroud’s plan work or what?”  Tick Tock closed his eyes, then slowly nodded.  He took the pistol and rose off the floor with Jack.  They opened fire at MODOK, bullets flying off his shield.  “Your attacks are useless against MODOK!” he droned.  Behind MODOK, Tatterdemalion leapt on the back of his chair.   He tightly gripped on to the metallic frame, his corrosive touch eating through and exposing the circuitry underneath. 

Nekra/Kali’s faces twisted in rage as they realized what was happening.  “No!  Stay away!  Kali commands you!”  Dansen/Durga’s discus struck them and pushed them back towards the center of the rings and beneath the portal.  Dansen/Durga turned to face Shroud.  “Your warriors fight bravely, Maximilian Coleridge.  Accept this gift from the heavens to restore order to the mortal plane!”  A heavenly light rose from Dansen/Durga and surrounded Shroud.  Jack and Tick Tock looked on in astonishment as MODOK’s chair began to spark and smoke.  “Control chair suffering mal...function.  Repair!  Doctor Wynd…ham!  Report and re….pair!” 

“We’ve got ‘im!” shouted Percy to Misfit.  “Take him out!”  Misfit cracked his knuckles and grinned.  “About damn time!”  He lunged forward and struck MODOK square in his enormous face with his right hand.  The creation of Kali and the Headmen was sent flying out of the chair as it shattered under the force of the blow.  He crashed into the supports of the observation deck, causing the Night Shift and Bushwacker to lose their balance.  Bushwacker managed to get a shot off, and clipped Hannibal in the leg.   He fell to the twisting platform screaming in pain.  Bushwacker took aim at the fallen detective.  “You’re dead, you stupid cop!” he growled, only for the threads in his jacket to come undone and ensnare his throat.  He gagged and choked as Moth looked on coldly.  “He is a stupid cop, but he’s also Night Shift.”  Bushwacker staggered back, desperately grasping at his throat, only to fall backwards over the railing headfirst into the floor below.  Moth and Digger ran to Hannibal as Needle ran back out from the doorway.  “Did you get that other guy?”  Digger asked.  Needle shook his head and sheathed his blade.  Moth raised her hands over Hannibal’s wound, letting his pant leg be re-knit into a bandage for it. 

Shroud stood in the glow of the light projected by Dansen/Durga.  The light mingled with his shadows as he strode through the chaos around him towards Ohn, still crumpled on the floor.  “Please!  Make it stop!” he begged.  Shroud raised his hand to Ohn.  “Calm yourself.  You are now under the protection of the Shroud!”  The rest of the Night Shift watched as Durga’s light flowed from Shroud’s hand to Ohn.  He gradually stopped his wailing, and the spots covering his body began to shrink and disappear. 

“STOP THIS AT ONCE!” Nekra/Kali shrieked.  Shroud turned toward the circle of rings where the goddesses and their hosts clashed blades.  He then raised his hand toward the portal above them.  “In the name of Shiva, lord of the heavens!  In the name of Durga, who defeated you!  In the name of Parvati, who freed herself from you!  I, the Shroud, in the name of the Night Shift, banish you back to your darkness!” 

Durga’s light and Shroud’s shadows rushed from his outstretched hand towards the portal.  Both Nekra/Kali and Durga/Dansen watched as the portal began to close.  “NO! NO!  THIS CANNOT BE!” Kali wailed.  “Your plotting has been for naught, Kali,” Dansen/Durga proclaimed.  “The judgement of the heavens cannot be undone.  You have manipulated the hearts and minds of mortals for too long.  Now is the time of your karma!”  With a savage scream, Kali’s spirit was torn away from Nekra’s body, letting the priestess collapse.  Kali snarled and slashed at the air as the closing portal dragged her closer to it.  Nekra looked up in terror at her goddess.  “Please, Kali!  Please, Mother of Darkness!  Have pity on me!”  But Kali was in no mood to show mercy.  She lashed out with her hand and snatched Nekra into the air.  The goddess and her servant were both dragged screaming into the void, before the portal finally closed and disappeared. 

Wyndham raced down the hall until he had reached an advanced looking vehicle sitting on an old subway track.  He jumped into the cab where two techs were waiting.  “Is everything under control?  Are we prepared for departure?” he demanded.  One of the techs look nervously back at him.  “Yes, doctor.  We’ve heard back from the divisions.  They were able to eliminate most of the experiments.”  Wyndham raised an eyebrow.  “Most?”  The other tech coughed.  “Well, sir, there was apparently a problem with one of the squads.  One of the experiments proved.. difficult.  And when the squad attempted termination, they… ahem.  Got away.”  Wyndham folded his arms and glared at the techs.  “Which experiment was it?”  The techs shared a look.  “Project: Spider,” the first tech said.  Wyndham took deep breath and sat down in his command chair as the techs carried on preparations for escape.  “Certainly not ideal.  But we will find them.  The experiment will continue.”

Digger and Needle leapt down from the observation deck as Moth flew down carrying Hannibal.  They joined the rest of the Night Shift as Shroud stood before Dansen/Durga.  “You have done well, Maximillian,” they proclaimed.  “Kali and her zealot are trapped, and her followers are felled.  Do you desire anything else from the heavens?”  Digger waved his hand.  “Oh!  Oh!  Could we get free cable for the Tower of Shadows?”  He fell silent under the glares of the rest of the Night Shift.  Shroud turned back to Dansen/Durga.  “Great Durga, all I ask is that the woman who offered herself as your vessel be freed and returned to us.”  

“She gave herself willingly to battle the darkness,” Dansen/Durga intoned.  “She will released from her bond.”  Durga’s spirit rose away from Dansen into the air above her.  Dansen groaned and started to fall, but Shroud rushed forward to catch her.  Hannibal pushed away Moth and limped into the circle.  “Hey!  Could I say something?”  Durga raised her eyebrows and looked down on Hannibal.  “Hannibal King.  You may speak.”  Hannibal steadied his breath before speaking.  “I… I have a friend.  Her name is Terri.  Kali’s followers attacked the station where she was.  Please, is she okay?”  Durga looked grimly at Hannibal.  “We know that the one you speak of has the heart of a warrior.  Unfortunately, a warrior’s heart is sometimes not enough to withstand the storm.”  Hannibal’s face went pale.  “What?  What are saying?  Is she…”  Durga closed her eyes despair.  “She fought bravely until the end.”  Shroud helped Dansen to her feet then reached out to the stunned detective.  “Hannibal, I’m sorry for your…”  Hannibal spun around to face Shroud, rage in his eyes.  “Don’t give me that!  I should have been with Terri!  Not running around with you lunatics!”  He turned back to Durga.  “You want to give us something?  Then send us to where Terri is!  NOW!”  Durga raised her hands to the ceiling as her spirit began to fade away.  “As you wish, Hannibal King.  But what has come to pass, cannot be undone.”  With a burst of light, Durga and the Night Shift had disappeared.  The chamber now only held the bodies of the desiccated Kali cultists, and Johnathan Ohn.   He took a moment hunched down on the floor, looking around at the destruction of what was the Headmen’s headquarters.  He then hurried out the door as fast as he could go, hoping that that job opening at Roxxon was still available. 

For the Night Shift and Hannibal, it appeared that they were enveloped in a blinding light, only to have it fade away and reveal they were standing in the middle of a hospital hallway.  Orderlies and patients screamed in surprise and jumped to the side at the sight of the bizarre group.  “Durga obviously isn’t the goddess of subtlety,” muttered Moth.  Misfit looked around as armed police officers moved toward them.  “Great!  We get to fight some more geeks!” 

“Stand down!” commanded Shroud.  Hannibal hurried to a window and looked inside the room.  Lying in a hospital bed, was what remained of Detective Terri Lee.  Her body was covered in stab wounds and her face was badly scarred.  Hannibal hit the glass with his fist as the attending doctor and nurse looked down on her with his resignation.  “No!  No, damn it!  Terri?  Terri?!” 

“KING!”  Hannibal didn’t turn around as Detective Martin Soap pushed past the front line of police.  “Where the heck have you been?  You’ve been A.W.O.L. for 24 hours!”  Soap’s eyes then turned to the Night Shift.  “And who are these guys?”  Hannibal let his forehead rest against the glass.  “The Avengers.  How the hell should I know?” 

“Don’t get flippant with me, King!” Soap said.  “Half the force is on the injured reserve, including Captain DeWolff!  Which means as long as she is taking time off to recuperate, I am in charge of LAPD from now on!” 

“Wow.  A geek and a cop?” snickered Misfit.  Soap glared at the giant, trying to still his shaking voice.  “That’s Captain to you, mister!  And my first order of business is you, King!  Boy, I’ve been waiting for someone to finally buck up and deal with your insubordinate… crap!  Well, today’s the day!  Hannibal King, you’re fired!”  Hannibal still didn’t turn around to face Soap.  “Why don’t you shut up, jackass?” Barton snapped.  “We’ve had a long day and we don’t have time for your bullshit!”  Soap looked shocked at the language then grabbed a hold of Hannibal’s shoulder.  “You hear me, King?  You!  Are!  Fired!  Done!  Finished!  Caput!  Serves you right for leaving your fellow police in the lurch!  Maybe Detective Lee would be alive right now if you weren’t such a sorry excuse for a cop!”  Hannibal slowly turned to face Soap, and pushed the new captain’s hand off his shoulder.  “I heard you.  And thanks, Soap.  Because I’ve done and seen things today I never have before in my life.  And now it’s time to add another to the list.”  Soap looked smug at Hannibal.  “And just what would that be?” 

Hannibal’s fist connected square with Soap’s jaw, knocking him out cold and dropping him to the linoleum.  The police stood stunned for a moment, then one shouted out.  “Stand down!  All of you are under arrest!”  Shroud turned to the Brothers Grimm.  “Gentlemen, it is time for us to be leaving!”  Barton and Percy drew out their giant handkerchief, and hurled it above the Night Shift.  When the police advanced on the fabric and lifted it away, the Night Shift and Hannibal were gone. 

In a dark alley of the city, a manhole cover was lifted off it’s metal base and pushed aside.  Slowly, a woman with red hair and dressed in a black bodysuit climbed up out of the opening.  She panted as she looked around the alley.  Seeing no one around, she looked down the manhole.  “It’s all clear.  Come on!”  A woman with black hair and a red bodysuit climbed out of the manhole and looked at her partner.  “We made it!  See?  I told you we’d make it!”  The woman in black jumped slightly at the sound of a car screeching past the alley.  “But now what?  What do we do now?”  The woman in red gave a small smile and offered her hand.  “Well, I guess the first thing I’ll do is formerly introduce myself to the girl who I just escape from a bunch of mad scientists with.  My name is Jessica.  What’s yours?”  The woman in black returned the smile.  “Julia.  My name’s Julia.”  She accepted the handshake, only to let go with a shout.  Small arcs of electricity seemed to be running along Jessica’s hand.  She held up in caution.  “I’m sorry!  Sorry.  I didn’t mean it, really!  It’s just.. something they must have done to me down there!  Like the other stuff we can do!”  Julia shook her hand to try to get feeling back.  “Yeah, you probably need to practice with that.”  Jessica gazed up at the apartment building on the left side of the alley.  “Oh, we’ll have plenty of time for that now.  I’m just going to head on up top for a better look of where we are.”  Jessica gave a great leap and landed on the second story wall.  She started crawling higher up before turning back to grin down at Julia.  “Aren’t you coming?”  Julia sighed then gave a similar leap to the wall.  The two women crawled up the wall as the sun rose over the city.  The people would never know how close the world was to falling to chaos, if not for the actions of the Night Shift.  But they would soon be aware that the Spider-Women had arrived in Los Angeles. 

• Like 1