Colossus vs. Strong Guy
MATCH SCORE
Colossus: 5
Strong Guy: 1

Rumble 20541 Batman (Nolanverse) vs. Judas Breed
MATCH SCORE
Batman: 2
Judas Breed: 0

Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Match 19629 Dr. Quinn vs. The Headless Horseman

broadwaybeyonder

The leaves had already changed in the town of Colorado Springs.  Accompanied by his pet Wolf, Byron Sully pushed open the swinging doors of the Golden Nugget.  Hank Lawson stood tall and imposing as he talked to one of his prostitutes.  Meanwhile Jake Slicker leaned on the bar and nursed his drink while Horace Bing spoke excitedly to Loren Bray as they sat at a table together. 

“I’m telling you, Loren, it’s the most incredible scandal to happen in the territory!  Five people in five towns killed in as many weeks!” 

Loren feigned interest as he took a sip of whiskey.  “And you say that all five had their heads cut off?” 

“Yes!  I took the message over the telegraph myself for Dorothy!  The authorities are wanting her to have it printed in the Gazette!  They’re saying there’s a chance the killer might be heading for our town next!” 

Hank glared at his woman to send her back to work.  “Probably just some crazed Cheyenne.” 

“Funny,” smirked Jake.  “I always thought they just took the hair when they scalped somebody.” 

Sully cleared his throat and the other men got quiet.  They knew it was not a wise idea to speak poorly of the Cheyenne when Sully was within earshot. 

“Figured I’d find you in here, Loren,” said Sully.  “Went by your store and it was locked.” 

“Oh, uh yes.  Well, I just stepped away for a minute.  It’s been a very busy day.  People coming in looking for the fixings for decorations and costumes.” 

Jake walked over to Loren and Horace’s table and stood at Sully’s side.  “Glad to see you made it back from your trapping, Sully.  Don’t suppose you might have seen anything out there?  Anything unusual?” 

“Like a man cutting other men’s heads off?  Sorry, Jake.  Can’t say that I have.” 

Jake shrugged and took another sip of his drink.  “Well, you never know.  It might not even be a man.” 

Horace gulped.  “What do you mean, Jake?” 

“I mean what you’ve talking about sounds mighty familiar.  Men losing their heads.  Sounds an awful lot like that book Dr. Mike brought for that library of hers.” 

Loren slowly nodded.  “Yes.  Yes, I remember.  It was that… er…. “Legend of…” something or other.” 

Sully smiled and shook his head.  “Legend of Sleepy Hollow.  I wouldn’t worry, gentlemen.  That was just a story.  There’s no such thing as a Headless Horseman.” 

“Don’t be so sure,” said Jake.  “They found hoof prints all around the bodies.  And all sorts of unexplained things tend to happen this time of year.” 

“Yeah, Sully,” sneered Hank.  “Don’t your Cheyenne friends believe in all sorts of spirits and things?” 

Sully kept calm as he matched Hank’s gaze.  “Cloud Dancing and his people have taught me many things.  But I haven’t seen any spirits, unless you mean the watered-down kind you serve around here.” 

Two prostitutes giggled at Sully’s remark only to contain themselves after a scowl from Hank.  Hank took a step towards the mountain man but stopped short when Wolf started to growl at him.  Eyeing the wolf, Hank gave Sully a dirty look.  “You lucky I’m busy today, Sully.” 

Sully turned back to Loren as Hank stomped behind the bar.  “I’m going to see Robert E. about one of my horse’s shoes.  After that I’ll drop by the store to pick up those decorations that Dr. Mike ordered for the homestead.” 

Loren sighed and gulped down the rest of his whiskey.  “I’ll be there.  Just have your money ready.” 

“I will.  Come on, Wolf.” 

The wolf obediently followed after Sully out the door as Hank poured a glass muttering to himself.  “That smart mouthed son of a…” 

“Just take it easy, Hank,” said Jake.  “He’s always going to take their side.” 

Loren picked up a bottle and refreshed his own drink.  “Same as Dr. Mike.  That woman would tell you the same thing.  She’d probably talk about how they don’t have ghosts in Boston.”  Jake started to smile.  “Well, maybe we can do something about that.  It is Halloween, isn’t it?” 

Dr. Michaela Quinn pulled her shawl tighter as she walked past the shops and businesses of Colorado Springs.  She had finally begun to see the town as her own.  Despite the townsfolks reluctance to having a ‘woman doctor’ she still wanted to help Colorado Springs, not to mention the Cooper children.  And of course there was Sully. 

She opened the door to the clinic and went inside.  She was wanting to pick up one of her medical journals to take home.  She was scanning the bookcase when she heard a crash coming from the backroom. 

“Who’s back there?” she called out.  She slowly crept towards the door and tried to keep her voice calm.  “Brian?  If that’s you and your friends trying to scare me you can just come out of there right now.”  There was no reply from behind the door.  Dr. Quinn reached for the doorknob. 

“Very well.  You have until the count of 3 then I’m coming in there.  1.  2.  3!” 

Dr. Quinn swung the door open and her jaw dropped.  On the floor of the backroom was Loren Bray nursing his arm and Horace Bing holding his head.  Both were groaning in pain as Jake Slicker stood over them with his arms folded.  He nodded and smirked at Dr. Quinn.  “Evening, Dr. Mike.  Didn’t mean to scare you.” 

Dr. Quinn pointed at the broken window of the backroom.  “Jake Slicker, what in heaven’s name are you doing in here?  If you needed something from the clinic you don’t have to break in to do it.” 

“We just didn’t want to disturb you,” said Horace as he helped Loren to his feet. 

“And we wouldn’t have if someone was paying attention where he was going,” grumbled Loren. 

“I’m sorry, Loren.  I thought you were out of the way.” 

“Well you didn’t have to come flying through the window pane like a cannonball!” 

Dr. Quinn took a deep breath.  “Will one of you gentlemen tell me what this is all about?  What’s so important that you couldn’t have just waited until morning?” 

“Oh, we’re looking for a head.  Ow!” 

Horace held his ribs after Loren jabbed his elbow into them.  “Very discreet, Horace.” 

Jake stepped forward as Loren and Horace continued to argue.  “You see, Dr. Mike, you might not be aware of this, but there have been some particularly terrible murders that have taken place in the territory this past few weeks.  Men getting rode down and their heads cut off.” 

“And it got us to thinking that it sounded a lot like that Headless Horseman in that Irving book you brought,” said Loren. 

“So we figured that maybe if we could find a head that… er… isn’t being used…,” said Horace.  “That maybe the Horseman could take it and leave the rest of us alone, you see?” 

Dr. Quinn stared at the three men, then gave a short laugh.  “Honestly!  I don’t believe this!  You mean to tell me you broke into my clinic to find ‘a head’ to appease a ghost?!” 

“Er, yes, that’s the general idea,” Horace said shuffling his feet. 

“You do have a head around here, don’t you?” said Jake.  “That skull those people found outside of town?” 

“Well, yes.  But I was only keeping here to study before giving it to Reverand Johnson so that he can give it a Christian burial.  You can’t seriously expect me to let you take it for some ridiculous ghost hunt.” 

Jake’s face remained unmoved.  “As a citizen of Colorado Springs, it is my duty to protect the people of this town anyway I can.  Now you can either hand over that skull, or we can always go down to the graveyard and dig up a skull for ourselves.” 

Looking at the three men’s determined faces Dr. Quinn sighed.  “Very well.  You can have the skull.  But on one condition.” 

“Name it,” said Jake. 

“I’m going with you.” 

“Oh no,” Loren sputtered.  “Sorry, Dr. Mike, but this could be dangerous work.  Too dangerous to bring a woman along.” 

“Mr. Bray, that skull is my responsibility.  I will not risk it being damaged or lost while you ride around the countryside.  Either I go with you, or you don’t get the skull.” 

Jake shared a look with Horace and Loren, then nodded.  “Alright, Dr. Mike.  You got a deal.” 

A few hours later, three horses reached the crossroads 5 miles outside of Colorado Springs.   Dr. Quinn held onto to Horace as Jake raised a hand for them to stop.  Horace got off his horse and offered his hand to let Dr. Quinn down.  “Alright, Jake,” Loren said.  “We’re here.  What’s the plan?”  Jake nodded at Dr. Quinn.  “Get it out.” 

Dr. Quinn reached into a saddle bag and pulled out the skull.  Jake pointed to the crossroads.  “Now lay that skull in the center of the trail.  It’s almost midnight.  That should be when that Horseman shows up.” 

“And if he doesn’t show up we can go home?” asked Dr. Quinn. 

“You have my word, Dr. Mike.” 

Dr. Quinn started walking to the crossroads.  “This is just ridiculous.  Three grown men believing a fairy tale.” 

“Those men getting their heads cut off was no fairy tale, was it?” said Jake. 

“But that doesn’t mean it’s the work of a fictional ghost!” 

Horace nervously glanced around.  “Yeah, Dr. Mike may be right.  I mean, that ghost was in Sleepy Hollow, wasn’t he?  Why’d he be here?” 

“Because he’s a Horseman, Horace!” snapped Loren.  “He rode here!” 

“Please, would you stop bickering,” said Dr. Quinn.  “It’s already late and the sooner we finish this business the better…” 

Suddenly the group’s horses all started whinnying and rearing up.  Jake and Loren held on tight to stay in their saddles as Horace tried to calm his own horse down.  “What the devil’s gotten into them?!” said Loren. 

“Something’s spooked them,” said Dr. Quinn.  “We should head back to town now.” 

“Too late!” cried out Horace, pointing into the distance.  “LOOK!” 

Racing down the trail kicking up clouds of dust was a tall, black horse.  Sitting in it’s saddle was a rider dressed in black and waving a sword.  And the rider had no head. 

“God in Heaven!” gasped Dr. Quinn.  She dropped the skull to the ground as the Headless Horseman continued on his course straight for them. 

“Horace!” shouted Jake.  “Get Dr. Mike on your horse and get her out of here!  Loren, you’re with me!”  Jake urged his horse on towards the oncoming spirit and drew his pistol. 

“Jake, don’t be a fool!” Loren yelled. 

Horace grabbed Dr. Quinn’s arm and helped her onto the horse.  “Make for the church, Dr. Mike!  You’ll be safe there!” 

“But what about you?  I can leave you here with… whatever that is!” 

Jake fired two shots but the Horseman didn’t stop his advance.  He swung his sword, causing Jake’s horse to rear up and Jake to fall off with a thud.  Loren looked wide eyed in terror before riding off with his horse away from the Horseman. 

“There’s no time!” said Horace.  “Please, Dr. Mike!  Ride and never look back!”  Horace slapped the rump of the horse to get it started running.  Dr. Mike grabbed the reigns and looked back to see the Horseman charging for Horace with sword upraised.  She looked away and urged her horse on, hearing the sound of hoofbeats behind her. 

OK:

Does Dr. Quinn make it to the church and escape the Horseman, or does the ghost get her? 

You Decide. 

Happy Halloween, and

Game On! 

I remember I submitted Dr. Quinn for one of the fantasy drafts, although I can't remember which one or for which slot, heh. Wouldn't have pictured her in a battle like this, but I like it. I think the crossover works. Unfortunately for the Medicine Woman however, I don't think she can make it to the church in time. Nice job.

• Like 1

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
4.50 - Pizzaguy2995
5.00 - patrickthekid
4.70 - JohnnyChany
4.00 - Boratz

FPA Calculation:
4 Total Votes cast
18.20 Total Combined Score
18.20 / 4 = 4.55 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Dr. Quinn: 0
The Headless Horseman: 5

(And FINALLY) THE BOTTOM LINE

Dr. Quinn’s hair was caught in the breeze as she urged her horse to run faster.  She sped down the empty street through Colorado Springs.  Looking to her right she could see the Horseman racing behind the buildings and keeping pace with her.  She gripped her reins tighter as her mind raced to try to comprehend the sights she had witnessed that night. 

The Horseman swerved in between the buildings and charged in front of Dr. Quinn’s horse.  Both animals reared up on their hind legs and whinnied in fear.  Dr. Quinn fell out of her saddle and landed with a thud in the dirt.  The Horseman’s steed trotted closer as he raised his sword to the sky. 

With a snarl, Wolf dashed past Dr. Quinn and leapt towards the Horseman.  Dr. Quinn was too much in the grip of fear to notice a grunt of pain from the Horseman as he struggled to free his arm from Wolf’s jaws.  She scrambled up to her feet and bolted towards the church.  She could see the steeple in the distance.  Just a few more yards and then she would be safe. 

That was when she felt the blade strike her back.  She screamed in pain as she dropped to her knees.  Gasping for breath she turned to see the Horseman on his black horse looming over her.  She could see her own blood dripping from the blade.  The Horseman pointed his sword at Dr. Quinn. 

A tomahawk hurtled out of the night and smacked the blade out of the ghost’s hand.  Sully bolted out from one of the buildings and rushed to Dr. Quinn’s side. 

“Michaela!  Michaela, hold on!  I’m here!” 

“Sully!” Dr. Quinn gasped.  “Run for your life!  Please!  Run!” 

Sully turned back to face the Horseman, but the black rider and his horse were gone, along with his fallen sword.  Dr. Quinn glanced around in bewilderment.  “Where… where did he go?” 

“I don’t know,” said Sully, tearing off a piece of his shirt as a makeshift bandage for Dr. Quinn’s injury.  “But it wouldn’t be the first time tonight.  I saw you riding with that… thing chasing you so I sent Wolf after him.  I went after you but I thought Wolf would’ve brought him down.  We need to get you to the clinic.  That’s a bad wound.” 

“But what about the others?  Horace, Loren, and Jake?!” 

There was the sound hoofbeats coming down the road.  Sully picked up his tomahawk and held it at the ready.  Coming into view on their horses were Horace, Loren, and Jake.  Horace looked slightly embarrassed, but Loren and Jake appeared to be extremely pleased with themselves. 

“Why, evening, Dr. Mike,” Jake chuckled.  “What’s a nice lady like you doing out at this hour of night?” 

“She is looking a little pale, Jake,” snickered Loren.  “Like she’s seen a ghost.” 

Sully stomped over to Jake’s horse and yanked the rider out of his saddle.  He lifted Jake by his lapels and glared at him. 

“You think this is funny, Jake?!  Someone just tried to kill Michaela!” 

Horace looked shocked as Dr. Quinn leaned against a water trough.  “But… but he wasn’t supposed to…” 

“Horace!” snapped Loren.  “Will you for once shut up?!” 

“Enough!” barked Sully.  The three men fell silent as Sully returned his gaze to Jake.  “Now.  What the blazes is going on?” 

Jake tried to free himself from Sully’s grip for a moment, then sighed in resignation.  “It was just some fun, Sully.  After hearing about these murders we thought we might play a little joke on Dr. Mike.” 

“You said we were just going to scare her!” said Horace. 

“Don’t yell at me!  Hank must have grabbed the wrong sword!” 

Sully released Jake and turned to Loren.  “Get Michaela on your horse and over to the clinic.  And you two are going tell me just where Hank is.” 

At that moment, Sully could hear a familiar howl.  Running down the street with Wolf hot on his heels was the ‘Horseman’.  The figure zigzagged down the street, as if he was unable to see where he was going.  The ‘Horseman’ yelled and cursed before finally tripping and landing in the water trough. 

The ‘Horseman’ sat up in the trough, waving his arms and letting out a muffled yell.  “Hey!  Somebody get me out of this damn thing!  Jake!  If I get my hands on you I’ll beat the living daylights out of you for this damn fool idea!” 

Horace dismounted and hurried to the figure in the trough.  “Just a minute, Hank.  Just stay still. It’ll only take a moment!”  Horace pulled on leather strap and pulled open a little door in the chest piece of the ‘Horseman’.  It revealed the fuming face of Hank, looking around at the people surrounding the trough. 

“Well?  Get me out of this!” 

Sully pushed past Horace and heaved Hank out of the trough, dumping him into the street.  “You’re gonna pay for this!” Sully said.  “You could have killed Michaela!” 

“Killed her?  How?” Hank said, nursing his head.  “By chasing her around town?  If anyone got hurt it was me from that damn mutt of yours!” 

“I saw you attack her with your sword!” 

“That sword couldn’t hurt anybody!  Loren said it was a toy from his store!  And I told you, that mutt spooked my horse and has been trying to take a chunk out of my arm!” 

Loren picked up Hank’s sword, that had fallen in the street during his attempt to escape Wolf.  “Sully,” Loren said, his voice quivering.  “This is the sword I gave to Hank.  It’s blunted.  It couldn’t cut a thing!” 

There was a glance among the men and a whimper from Wolf, then Sully turned away and helped Dr. Quinn onto Loren’s horse.  “I’m taking Michaela to the clinic.  The rest of you just get on home!”  Jake and his would-be pranksters sulked down the road as Dr. Quinn stirred. 

“Sully?” 

“It’s alright, Michaela.  We’re going get you fixed up.  You’ll be alright.” 

“But… but if it wasn’t Hank…” 

“Shh.  Just take it easy.  Maybe it was that killer, dressed up to scare people.  Or maybe…”  Sully’s voice trailed off.  Dr. Quinn drew closer to Sully as he got in the saddle.  “Or maybe what, Sully?” 

Sully didn’t answer.  He guided the horse towards the clinic and Wolf followed behind them.  But even after the streets of Colorado Springs were empty there was still the faint sound of hoofbeats in the distance.