MATCH SCORE
General Kregg: 2
Stripe: 0
Brigade: 1

Match 18857 Lee Chaolan vs. Ken "Godhand" Mishima

JohnnyChany

THE NEXUS BAR PART 4

image.jpeg.5825daf7cccdb7537fcab7f698264407.jpeg

Lee Chaolan sat at his office desk in Violet Systems impatiently. He checked his watch and then tapped on the desk. He then looked at his door for a moment, but nothing happened. Lee moved his gaze to the window by his desk. Outside, a small billboard was erected promoting the eighth King of the Iron Fist tournament being presented by G Corporation. Lee had a plan. He was working with his adoptive brother Lars Alexandersson to give their adopted nephew, Jin, the best opportunity to take down Kazuya Mishima once and for all. Kazuya was no doubt hosting this tournament to try and draw out all his enemies so that he could crush them simultaneously. Kazuya did not know, however, that his adopted brother, Lee, was in coordination with Kazuya’s son, Jin, and Lee wanted to keep it that way. He needed a distraction to keep Kazuya occupied.

Lee’s ever reliable secretary entered his office.

“I have found the perfect candidate,” she announced 

She handed a small computer pad to Lee to look over. “According to market research, this is one of the fighters that fans of the the King of the Iron Fist would most like to see participate in the upcoming installment. This candidate would be perfect to fit your needs sir. It would make sense for Violet Systems to sponsor a popular newcomer just to needle Kazuya. His attention would be on this strange newcomer getting your backing while you could be helping Lars and Jin in the shadows.”

Lee smiled and gave his right hand woman a thumbs up. “Excellent!” His mood altered slightly after a moment. “I don’t want to put an innocent person in a dangerous spot under G Corporation’s watchful eye. Are we sure this fighter is up to the task?”

Lee’s secretary nudged her boss. “Look at the profile. This fighter has fought soldiers, death robots, all sizes of monsters, I don’t think the G Corporation thugs' intimidation tactics will be very successful.”

“Splendid. I’m convinced. Do we have a location on this fighter?” asked Lee.

“We do not,” his secretary admitted. She then smirked. “But an old ally of ours does. Apparently, this fighter is a big fan of Julia Chang’s youtube videos about reforestation. They have started a correspondence.”

“Let’s get Julia on the phone and let’s get this plan in motion,” Lee declared.

image.jpeg.bdd2669a0eba7aab5773c5d7558eb796.jpeg

Inside of the Nexus Bar, bartender Tifa Lockhart approached a new face with a sly smile sitting at the south side of the bar.

“What’ll it be?” she asked sweetly. “Our special tonight is $4.00 Cosmo Canyons. An in house concoction that is becoming pretty popular with the regulars.”

“I’m not here for a drink, I’m here to see you,” stated Lee as he presented a violet from his hand.

Some disappointment registered on Tifa’s face, but she remained cordial. “I’m flattered, but while I am working I would like to remain…”

Lee held up his hands defensively and interrupted Tifa. “Oh, I didn’t mean like that. I apologize. I am here to recruit you for the King of the Iron Fist Tournament.”

Tifa was confused. “A fighting tournament?”

“Not just any fighting tournament. The premier fighting tournament in the world,” Lee boasted. 

“It is so strange that you come here now,” Tifa remarked. “My new bosses were telling me how they would love it if I could promote the bar at some fighting tournament like the girl King does with the Illusion Bar.” Tifa thought it over for a moment. “Don’t you need money to participate in one of those? Money is a little tight.”

“I and Violet Systems would cover any costs,” Lee promised.

Tifa soured on that idea. “I’m not a big fan of huge corporations or getting myself mixed in with them.”

Lee immediately dismissed that concern. “I know. I have read up all about you, but I assure you that Violet Systems is nothing like the Shinra Electric Power Company. In fact, one of the reasons I want to bring you on is to help defeat another huge conglomerate that is just as nefarious as Shinra, if not worse, the G Corporation.”

“I don’t know, I have enjoyed this peaceful time,” said Tifa. “Testing my training in an ordinary fighting tournament is one thing, but I don’t know if I am ready to get involved in a fight like that again.”

Before he could try to amp up the charm and further convince Tifa, Lee was interrupted by his phone. It was a call from the android, Alisa Bosconovich, who had been working closely with Lee and Lars.

“Hold that thought for one moment, I need to take this,” stated Lee. He then rose up from his stool and walked away.

His stool was immediately taken by another well-built man with silvery hair. Tifa started up her usual greeting, but hesitated when a hint of recognition struck her.

“Do I know you?”

“It’s been a long time, Tifa,” the stranger answered.

The memory finally came to her. “Godhand?”

The stranger nodded. “Yeah. I have come because I need your help. There is mysteriously another tournament being held for the Ehrgeiz sword grand prize, but no sign of Koji Masuda or Yoko.”

“But Yoko gained possession of that sword last time,” Tifa recalled.

“I know. That’s why it doesn’t make sense. I can’t lie, I still want the stone that is inside the sword to unlock the mystic ruins, but I don’t want to go in this tournament without allies. I feel something sinister behind all of this, perhaps the Red Scorpion organization. I was hoping you and Cloud and maybe even Vincent would come with me. You were all so impressive when we fought, and no one knows more about materia and materia guardians than you guys.”

“I don’t know, Ken. Chasing down that sword and the key to immortality brought back the ghost of Sephiroth last time. We try to avoid that at all costs.”

“I understand your trepidation, but his spirit or whatever it is may be after it again anyway if the sword has resurfaced,” reasoned Godhand.

Lee Chaolan returned to his seat and was surprised to not only see someone else sitting on his stool, but also that the man was a dead ringer for his rival, Kazuya Mishima.

“Excuse me guy, who are you?” Lee demanded.

“My name is Ken Mishima, some people call me Godhand,” the man answered.

Lee Chaolan’s eyebrows flared up in alarm. His biggest worry was being realized. Kazuya had discovered his plan and now was sending someone to take down Tifa. Ken Mishima recognized the look of concern on Lee’s face, he had seen it many times.
“Before you ask, no I am not related to Kazuya Mishima. I have no connection to that crazy family other than the coincidence that we share the same last name,” explained Godhand.

“And the same face,” remarked Lee. “You also have Jin’s haircut.”

“It may be hard to believe, but I’m not tied to that family, the Mishima Zaibatsu, or G Corporation in any way,” insisted Godhand. “I have my own construction company.”

“A likely story. Tifa, whatever this man has told you is a lie. He is clearly some wayward son of Heihachi trying to get in good with his long-lost brother,” Lee proclaimed.

“What?” asked an exasperated Tifa.

“You listen here. I don’t have to explain myself to you. The lady and I were having a conversation before you interrupted so why don’t you walk away before you get hurt,” Godhand threatened.

“We were having a conversation first and Tifa is going to participate in the King of the Iron Fist tournament whether you and your family like it or not,” Lee declared.

“No! She is coming with me to help retrieve the Ehrgeiz sword!” shouted Godhand.

The two men stood nose to nose ready to rumble.

Tifa spoke up. “For the record, I never agreed to either of these things and my decision wouldn’t be swayed by some immature throwdown.”

“Hey Tifa, we need another round down here, love,” a patron called from the other side of the bar.

“You two better not fight in my bar or there is going to be trouble,” Tifa warned before heading to the north side of the bar.

“Let’s take this outside, and then Tifa and I can talk in peace,” Lee offered.

“Agreed. It will be much easier to convince her without you sticking your nose in our business.”

No one's commented on this yet? Shame. Wish I knew more about the characters, though. 

Good set-up, Johnny. Good continuation of the Nexus Bar arc. The only character I have a bit more than a passing familiarity with her is Tifa, and that's only because she was in Kingdom Hearts II. Let's see if she eventually gets lured into the tournament one way or another. 

As for the match, with only some offhand knowledge I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Lee's probably the more powerful fighter, since unlike Mishima expy Godhand, Lee's actually had tutelage under the Mishimas. It's fairly likely, though, that the fight may be broken up before things get too serious.